User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2013, 05:58 PM   #181
OLEARY
Enlightened Voyager

Oddometer: 2,279
Been There-Done That

I drowned my WR250R which is fuel injected. It is pretty simple. Once you get the spark plug out, turn it over a few times until the geyser turns to mist. Put plug back in, crank it up. The PITA is getting the seat off, and getting the spark plug out. After that it is a piece of cake. I am told you can take the exhaust manifold loose and discharge the water that way but I have never tried it so I am not sure it works as well. I look back on these photos and think 'What a noob!' Great ride report BTW. Quite an adventure.

http://supahflid.smugmug.com/Motorcy...IMGP0067-L.jpg

http://supahflid.smugmug.com/Motorcy...IMGP0079-L.jpg
Colorado/Moab 2012
Occasionally the tree of Liberty must be watered with the blood of Patriots and Tyrants.
OLEARY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:05 PM   #182
veriest1
Grand NOOBlet

Oddometer: 2,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by veriest1 View Post
Not much but you'll get the idea. I forget exactly everything that came off to get to this point since I'm not familiar with the 1200's. Ultimately it ran but it wasn't quite right because it injested the water. Schizz went for the submerged kill switch instead of just turning the key off and it ran longer than it should have while laying on its side in the water.

http://static.photobucket.com/player...1/MVI_0027.mp4

Edit: the bike was also laid on its side to drain the cylinder before cranking it and the fuse for the fuel pump was removed. Ultimately I seem to remember water being found in the oil so it was trailered out.

Sent from my HTC using magic.
Quoted because I added details concerning what was done before we made a fire hydrant out of it.

veriest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:38 PM   #183
michaellmcc
Dudester

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post

I think the word giddy fairly well describes the approach to the canyon, in terms of a sense of excitement that built as the depth of it first entered into view - it takes your breath away.

Many riders here have been to/into the Copper Canyon, and have a sense of the enormity of it and how beautiful it is.

The canyon we decended into at least matches anything I've seen in the Copper Canyon region.

The switchback into the canyon bottoms was a lot of work. I won't say it was the most technical or difficult part of the trek - but it was work.

Some riders hate decending and love climbing

Some riders hate climbing but are ok with going down down down

This descent was something that Walter said would be tough

I asked him at the lunch break if the second half of the day was going to be harder than the first half of the day

"100% harder", he said

I said "aw, c'mon Walter, do you really mean that?"

"Ok, 80 percent harder"

"What's the surface like?" I asked

He pointed to a pile of rock

"Like that"

(I thought to myself)

It was on the order of a 3K meter decent, top to river bottom. That took awhile.

I was amazed I never dropped the bike the first day (although twice on the second day - fatigue)

We were hoping to find a small ejido village at the river from which to buy some water - but there wasn't anything within sight.

One good thing about having ATV packmules running the Ruta - you can always bum a bottle of water from them. Which I did.

Not sure if they would share their gas, though

Really enjoying this serialized ride report!

There can be no doubt that, given the enormity of the challenge, death-defying switchbacks, shadowy, almost wraith-like figures, danger lurking around every corner, and well, you know, everythang, henceforth you will be referred to with reverence as...

EL MACHO!

Explored by motorbike: USA, Canada, Alaska, Mexico, France, Spain, Portugal, Morocco, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Vietnam. Videos: Alaska: http://vimeo.com/70698420; Mexico: http://vimeo.com/62712738 ; Austin to Indy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPsHo...eature=mh_lolz ; Morocco: http://youtu.be/fW758r_V4mE ; Big Bend: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEKpJ...ature=youtu.be
michaellmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:10 PM   #184
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,385
Had dinner with Trice (thanks Amigo!) on my way home from Mexico today and we discussed the drowned bike issue. Some of you know that I drowned my GSA last October during RTB3 in the Colorado river. And I was ill-prepared to deal with it. Fortunately TxJames was there with his skilz and toolz and such and "we" got the bike restarted. Ended up trailering it home (thanks Brad!) since that option was available and there was clearly water in the oil.

So, here's what I have to offer on the subject:

If you even THINK you may have water in the engine do not even TOUCH the starter button until you've cleared the engine. Water does not compress so it will pass through the piston rings and enter the crankcase and also likely hydrolock the engine potentially damaging essential stuff like valve stems, etc. Just bad stuff.

For my FI engine we cleared the breather box of all water (look for a water catchment in your box),dried out the air filter, then pulled the plugs to cycle the water out of the heads. No water had entered the exhaust so we didn't have to mess with that. The oil sight glass revealed that water had turned the oil milky brown and since I didn't have to ride it out I elected to trailer. The bike did restart and could have been ridden in a must-do scenario. In that case I would have bee-lined it to a store to buy oil to clear the case. My bike later took 3 gallons + 3 filters to get this done. Carrying at least one extra air and oil filter is a must.

Now, here's a tricky little thing I (and the techs at Lone Star BMW) learned from this incident: Hydrolocking the engine not only caused water to contaminate the case oil, in doing so it stripped the oil from the cylinder walls causing a 50% compression loss as oil was unable to pass from the sump through the rings to relubricate the piston walls. LSBMW techs first suspected bent valve stems from the hydrolocking. When they excluded that possibility they shot oil into the compression chambers and full compression was restored. For this reason I now carry this little item in my tool bag:

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:25 PM   #185
veriest1
Grand NOOBlet

Oddometer: 2,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Had dinner with Trice (thanks Amigo!) on my way home from Mexico today and we discussed the drowned bike issue. Some of you know that I drowned my GSA last October during RTB3 in the Colorado river. And I was ill-prepared to deal with it. Fortunately TxJames was there with his skilz and toolz and such and "we" got the bike restarted. Ended up trailering it home (thanks Brad!) since that option was available and there was clearly water in the oil.

So, here's what I have to offer on the subject:

If you even THINK you may have water in the engine do not even TOUCH the starter button until you've cleared the engine. Water does not compress so it will pass through the piston rings and enter the crankcase and also likely hydrolock the engine potentially damaging essential stuff like valve stems, etc. Just bad stuff.

For my FI engine we cleared the breather box of all water (look for a water catchment in your box),dried out the air filter, then pulled the plugs to cycle the water out of the heads. No water had entered the exhaust so we didn't have to mess with that. The oil sight glass revealed that water had turned the oil milky brown and since I didn't have to ride it out I elected to trailer. The bike did restart and could have been ridden in a must-do scenario. In that case I would have bee-lined it to a store to buy oil to clear the case. My bike later took 3 gallons + 3 filters to get this done. Carrying at least one extra air and oil filter is a must.

Now, here's a tricky little thing I (and the techs at Lone Star BMW) learned from this incident: Hydrolocking the engine not only caused water to contaminate the case oil, in doing so it stripped the oil from the cylinder walls causing a 50% compression loss as oil was unable to pass from the sump through the rings to relubricate the piston walls. LSBMW techs first suspected bent valve stems from the hydrolocking. When they excluded that possibility they shot oil into the compression chambers and full compression was restored. For this reason I now carry this little item in my tool bag:
Thanks for posting Schizz. That's good stuff. I was certain your memory was better than mine on the subject.

Neat trick on the oil injection. I carry one of those syringes in my first aid kit anyway.

veriest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:12 AM   #186
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattner View Post
Awesome ride report!!!!

I'd LOVE to make the next one, and am tentatively planning on it...

Fantastic riding by the looks of it.

I have ridden all through the area, albeit on the roads.

Thanks for the ride along!!!

I'll keep this on the calendar and as the event gets closer, I'll get the plans, bike and gear dialed in

I'm originally from Austin and have ridden a lot of Mexico, including Baja. This ride looks epic
Hola Señor Wattner -

Your post is a huge reason for the ride report - to make this even more well known and to encourage more rider "from the north" to come down and experience everything that this ride is!

And the experience is much more than just epic riding through the Sierra Madre! You get so much more!

I've said over and over how much I love and respect the Mexican people. To me, the greatest culture anywhere.

I've done great rides with groups on dirt in the U.S., and loved every minute of it, but this is really special - to share this kind of epic with people who really care about you and will share everything they have and exalt with you in the moment when every little aspect of the ride is spectacular.

You will also love Durango!

You will also love Mazatlán!

Try to schedule some down time in Mazatlán at the end of the ride - you'll want to park your soarazz on the playa and watch the, ah-hem, pretty things waltz past your comfortable cabana chair as the attentive staff of the El Cid bring you your Topo Chico.

Hey!

Did you know Lance Armstrong has done Durango - Mazatlán?!?!?

Yes! On his bicycle, but not dirt, he did it on the paved 40 libre! Last year

So yeah, come on down, and follow Lance to the Sea of Cortez at Maz!!!

(In the second video - you'll love when Lance attempts to speak Spanish!)

tricepilot screwed with this post 07-08-2013 at 06:23 AM
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:34 AM   #187
primate
vagabundus

Oddometer: 2,853
Quote:
John I know! I took the video!
Yes - right there on the left in the video is my buddy Wayland - assisting with ANOTHER drowned bike on the SAME crossing, right after we fixed HIS bike
I guess I took that the wrong way. No worries, I want to hear about the Baja trip too. This one sounds like one I may not want to try.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:38 AM   #188
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Michael - I just had to fix the last part of your post to make it more accurate

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaellmcc View Post
Really enjoying this serialized ride report!

There can be no doubt that, given the enormity of the challenge, death-defying switchbacks, shadowy, almost wraith-like figures, danger lurking around every corner, and well, you know, everythang, henceforth you will be referred to with reverence as...

EL MACHO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaellmcc View Post

henceforth you will be referred to with reverence as...

EL MACHACADO!

Old 07-08-2013, 06:46 AM   #189
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by primate View Post
Yes - right there on the left in the video is my buddy Wayland - assisting with ANOTHER drowned bike on the SAME crossing, right after we fixed HIS bike
Little did we know while fixing Wayland's bike that Milton's bike was sitting there with the same water disease!

Quote:
I want to hear about the Baja trip too.
If all goes well in Baja in September I'll do a short piece on that ride too.

Quote:
This one sounds like one I may not want to try.

But as for this ride - if you have any inclination at all I think you should consider it.

There were always a couple of points you could divert to the Espinazo if you wanted to (or needed to).

I think one huge key to getting through this, is to ride it with someone who has been through it before, and knows what to expect.

Like most rides, I wish we had even more shots of the really gnarly stuff because we were so concentrating on getting through it.

That's the stuff once you get through it that provided the satisfaction when looking back on it.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:11 AM   #190
michaellmcc
Dudester

Quote:
Michael - I just had to fix the last part of your post to make it more accurate

So there is or are actually a plethora of possibilities... El Despacio, El Macho, El Machado...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QI8nj6PSPI
Explored by motorbike: USA, Canada, Alaska, Mexico, France, Spain, Portugal, Morocco, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Vietnam. Videos: Alaska: http://vimeo.com/70698420; Mexico: http://vimeo.com/62712738 ; Austin to Indy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPsHo...eature=mh_lolz ; Morocco: http://youtu.be/fW758r_V4mE ; Big Bend: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEKpJ...ature=youtu.be
Old 07-08-2013, 09:13 AM   #191
michaellmcc
Dudester

My mistake

oops, of course I meant El Machacado...
Old 07-08-2013, 09:40 AM   #192
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post

Now, here's a tricky little thing I (and the techs at Lone Star BMW) learned from this incident: Hydrolocking the engine not only caused water to contaminate the case oil, in doing so it stripped the oil from the cylinder walls causing a 50% compression loss as oil was unable to pass from the sump through the rings to relubricate the piston walls. LSBMW techs first suspected bent valve stems from the hydrolocking. When they excluded that possibility they shot oil into the compression chambers and full compression was restored. ...
Yep, not unlike a beemer dealership to predict a $2000 repair for a $5 syringe

Now, Trice, let's get on with the ride story

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:08 AM   #193
SR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 980
Quote:

Mr Concentration!!

One of the things SR and I talked about at length was the hazard of drowning a bike in the middle of the Sierra Madre
[/COLOR]
I know darn well what it means to drown a bike up here. About 3 months ago I drown the DRZ up in the mountains, then ran the battery out trying to get it dried out and had to hike out about 5 miles and back the next day with a fresh battery. That was the incident that pushed me over the edge to get a new bike. One with a kick starter.

I assured Trice pilot that this river crossing is not that gnarly. If it was gnarly we would push the bikes. Although, the rocks were surprisingly slippery!

This is gnarly. This is two river drainage to the south about a year ago. Our plan was to do this route back from Mazatlan but when the time came no one wanted to. Sore nalgas and achy forearms and mucho "Falta de Animo"

SR screwed with this post 07-08-2013 at 11:24 AM
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:13 AM   #194
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
To view this video, at least on my browser, I had to use the full screen button in the lower right

Now that is a gnarly river crossing

Even though it is more gnarly than the one in the bottom of our canyon - the penalty for going over like Mike actually did would have meant an unpleasant delay in the Sierra

tricepilot screwed with this post 07-08-2013 at 10:22 AM
Old 07-08-2013, 10:14 AM   #195
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoged View Post
Now, Trice, let's get on with the ride story
Just waiting for my man SR to get back to square after draining Lake Superior of fish