Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2013, 11:51 AM   #196
SR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Just waiting for my man SR to get back to square after draining Lake Superior of fish
I'm back in action. In Minneapolis and hopeing that Sra. SR doesn't drain the Mall of America of cloths. I finally got a fast enough connection to upload this GE movie I made of the Rio Presidio Barranca. It is about .5 GB. This video condenses 6 hours of switchbacks into 4 minutes. I cant figure out how to embed a bigger frame. You have to click to full screen and crank the resolution up too. I need to add come cool music. I'm thinking Pink Floyd Fearless.

SR screwed with this post 07-08-2013 at 01:40 PM
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:17 PM   #197
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 904
Water Crossings:

Nothing shameful about walking a bike through unknown waters. I see way too many riders blasting into water crossings as if they were on solid ground where they could see the risks.

Similarly, riding on concrete/paved submerged sections requires patience and less throttle as slime and other slippery conditions "reduce the frictional co-efficients required for a continuing with a forward trajectory"....

Yep.... flooded boots vs flooded bike ?

Take yer pick.

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:08 PM   #198
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
I'm back in action. In Minneapolis and hopeing that Sra. SR doesn't drain the Mall of America of clothes.
Ha Ha! I hope she gets everything she wants! That woman deserves it!

Her mother and she make the best mole in México!!

Mall of America = Culture Shock!
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:11 PM   #199
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoged View Post

Nothing shameful about walking a bike through unknown waters. I see way too many riders blasting into water crossings as if they were on solid ground where they could see the risks.
You got that right

I hope this section talking about this subject helps to remind folks that you can check your ego at the door when riding a moto on the dirt in México or anywhere else.

I see too many riders, and I've had the urge myself, try to appear all Mad Skilled and Macho, and do stuff they shouldn't do or not err on the cautious side.

Granted, there is a balance, and I get "nothing ventured nothing gained" blah blah blah, but there is a time and a place to decide if you want to roll the dice and try something that, if it fails, sets you and your riding buddies back for hours.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:15 PM   #200
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

This may be a short clip, but I'll be looking at it years from now.

And every time I take the 40 libre or the new 40 cuota to/from Durango and Mazatlán, I'll look off into the distance and think of these views. They were hard-won.

I would love a cabin back in these mountains.

Crackling fire, meat roasting on the pit, tequila in hand.

Just being relaxed and enjoying the views, miles from nowhere.

Then, Tricewife would come out from the back and announce "we're out of milk"

Old 07-08-2013, 02:48 PM   #201
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

SR and I had some fun putting the finishing touches on Day 1

Water: I found 3 ATVs on the trail, parked, their crews drinking beer. I asked for and was cheerfully given a bottle of water, which I downed in seconds.

I really, really wanted to get up and out of that canyon, so will took over, and I was a bit surprised at how well the DRZ400 got me up, up and around some really rocky and sandy sections that last year I wouldn't even have tried. I'm not sure if I was really thinking about how to ride the bike at that point, I just pointed it and gunned.

Once on flat-ish terain at the top, the challenge of the climb was replaced by the onset of a torrential downpour. As luck would have it, we were able to pull over into an Ejido, and better, at a micro tienda, where we each bought a Coke and chatted with the kids.

Lightning was striking everywhere. Big bolts. We were huddled under the small porch tin roof of the store, which really was only a window out of which they sold their goods. We weren't inside, although I was so exhausted I day dreamed of sitting in there, fire going, not having to ride anymore. I was beat.

Only the prospect of getting to Mexiquillo made me get back on the bike. The squall passed, and we made our way over some really good roads to the highway for a very short paved run to Mexiquillo.

I thought everyone had beat us there - only shortly to find out that there wree a lot of vehicles still out on the route, and they would be coming in all the way to midnight. What we didn't find out until later, was one rider didn't come in at all, but spent the night out in the open Sierra. When they found him, it wasn't good, but he survived.

I had thought the cabins for the night were going to be open bay bunk style. Ha ha, my spirits soared when we found our place - a cabin with two separate rooms and a roaring fireplace.

Have you ever been so tired and wrung out that just 1 beer gave you a great buzz? That's what happened to me.

Walter had set up an outdoor kitchen under a large tent, and had a hot catered meal served up.

This was one of those times (again) when you sit down and don't know how you are going to find the motivation to get up. But I forced myself to do it.

In the tent there were many exhanges of fist bumps and stories.

I noticed a curious thing at Mexiquillo:

So many ATVs up on rocks or tilted by a team, and somebody underneath fixing this or that. Then, at the same time, a LOT of ATVs on trailers, heading for the highway back to Durango.

A shower, a meal, a beer, stories swapped.

This was all new to me, and I was taking it all in.

Back at the cabin, in front of the fire, I was able to catch the cell tower and placed a call to Tricewife.

"How did it go today?", she asked

I didn't know where to begin
Old 07-08-2013, 02:54 PM   #202
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Home Sweet Sierra Home

Luck was with us: best cabin in Mexiquillo

There were mouse droppings on the beds, but I brought my sleeping bag anyway, and slept on top of the quilt:

The bikes parked in front of their food and water, saddles taken off, fresh hay for them. They were awesome ponies.

I can't begin to describe what a treat an actual, wood burning fireplace is in the altitudes of the Sierra after a hard day. Wood smoke and pine scent. It really, really made for a surreal experience.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:06 PM   #203
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,525
Quote:
Luck was with us: best cabin in Mexiquillo

This looks like our old house back in East L.A. Only we had chickens in the backyard. This is when my abuelita taught me the hard way that you don't give names to animals that may wind up on the kitchen table

The vistas shown in the video are fantastic!

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:32 PM   #204
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Quote:

There were mouse droppings on the beds, but I brought my sleeping bag anyway, and slept on top of the quilt:......

I can't begin to describe what a treat an actual, wood burning fireplace is in the altitudes of the Sierra after a hard day. Wood smoke and pine scent. It really, really made for a surreal experience.

Mouse poop???? A little Hantavirus won't keep this RR from continuing.

Yep, that tired feeling after such a day is part of the reward...the fire and woodsy aromas (pine, sweat, mouse turds, cooking, mountain air, partner's gaseous outbursts....) just anchor in the memories.

More please...

Old 07-08-2013, 06:47 PM   #205
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Besides showing you where Mexiquillo is, I'll be explaining Santiago Papasquiaro shortly

Went through the latter, on the BMW, in conjuction with this trip but not part of, obviously, the dirt ride.

Some surprising things have happened in Santiago Papaquiaro
Old 07-08-2013, 06:52 PM   #206
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoged View Post

Yep, that tired feeling after such a day is part of the reward...just anchor in the memories.

More please...

The epic feeling of feeling epically exhausted - wrapped around a sense of "I made it here!" is something that sounds like you've experienced.

I'm sure the endorphines, a beer, and the mystical trance that a fireplace can induce worked, and will keep working, on my memories
Old 07-09-2013, 07:05 AM   #207
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Blue Line = Day 1

Purple Line = Day 2

This map gives a pretty good pictoral layout of the overall landscape in the Sierra - and hopefully a good idea of just how large the canyon system was that had the big drop and climb.

Everything to the right of Mexiquillo and north of a direct line from Durango to there was the route for the first day

SR sent me a revised map with the actual track and a cleaned up presentation, so I just edited it into the post

tricepilot screwed with this post 07-09-2013 at 04:26 PM
Old 07-09-2013, 08:30 AM   #208
Vinny V strom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Thanks

Great stuff. Thanks for sharing.
Vinny V strom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:54 AM   #209
going south
hero & Zero...

Oddometer: 1,000
Quote:
This map gives a pretty good pictoral layout of the overall landscape in the Sierra - and hopefully a good idea of just how large the canyon system was that had the big drop and climb.
I have been to Durango & Mexiquillo, a few times now.
And I am still amazed at what a great big dramatic & beautiful landscape it is!

I really need to get a bike that is a little more dirt oriented so that I can take more of it in than what you see from the black top, like eating peanuts, you just can't stop at one round trip up the hill and back...

Never Lost! Just Don't know where I am!

"Don't worry about your money, let your money worry about you" Jorge González
going south is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:44 AM   #210
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Quote:

The epic feeling of feeling epically exhausted - wrapped around a sense of "I made it here!" is something that sounds like you've experienced.
Trice,
I started riding street in 1976 and realized that many places I wanted to go had unpaved roads....so I would ride wherever until the conditions became too difficult....mostly on 750-1000 cc beemers. Then the GS beemers seemed like the thing to do ( '81 R80, '96 GSA 1100) but after a few Baja trips and countless local mountain jeep trails, I realized that I needed a dirtbike....so in 2000 I got into dirtbiking....and THAT is when epic survival rides began.

Yep, bonking in Mexican mountain passes with no water and 4 hours left to go before the end of the day....puts a guy into a certain trance.

And we love it