User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2013, 01:11 PM   #211
jonz
Miles are my mantra

Oddometer: 2,082
Great report

and it has me thinking I may be up for this ride next year. If you start a list of interested riders, put me on it. I think I'll pass on the 950 for the first year though.
Honda ST1300 ABS (newest addition to the stable)
STOC #326 IBA #217
jonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:55 PM   #212
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonz View Post
and it has me thinking I may be up for this ride next year. If you start a list of interested riders, put me on it. I think I'll pass on the 950 for the first year though.

Hmmmmm???? The 450 or the 690??????

Hmmmmmm?????

What is the time of year for next year's ride?

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:32 PM   #213
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,082
I just fixed the map in post #207

SR sent me a revised map with the actual track and a cleaned up presentation

Everybody likes maps in ride reports - helps with situational awareness and puts a setting to the story

The fact that SR has enhanced this with GPS "fly throughs" using Google Earth Professional makes it even sweeter

On the subject of GPS - don't even think about attempting this ride without one

There is no paper map handed out (that I know of)

Even if there was one, I think it would be confusing

Funny story about the GPS route:

The night before the trek, SR is the man uploading everyone's GPS with the route

He was the only one doing this for Walter, so it took forever

The punch line is this: not everybody knew their GPS. Many riders claimed the file was bogus, when it turned out that they didn't know how to turn on the route file within their own unti. Got to know your equipment, Willis!

Everywhere we went, there were people backtracking after having gone down a rabbit trail. We did a few times too. It's what made it kind of fun in a sadistic way
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:43 PM   #214
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoged View Post
Mouse poop???? A little Hantavirus won't keep this RR from continuing.

Yep, that tired feeling after such a day is part of the reward...the fire and woodsy aromas (pine, sweat, mouse turds, cooking, mountain air, partner's gaseous outbursts....) just anchor in the memories.

More please...
Crap! No pun intended!

I read your post and then looked up Hantavirus (that's a link) from mice droppings

I would have worn my dirt bike dust mask, but I didn't have a dirt bike dust mask!

In fact, I've been neglecting to ask the collective what is best worn in a dust-out to keep lungs clear as possible.

Suggestions Welcome

This all said - if there was a note on my night table that said "you are about to die of the Hantavirus", I would have welcomed it. I was that tired.

All kidding aside - the cabin was really clean and cozy, and I'd go back on vacation anytime

tricepilot screwed with this post 07-09-2013 at 03:51 PM
Old 07-09-2013, 03:45 PM   #215
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny V strom View Post
Great stuff. Thanks for sharing.
Our pleasure, Vinny V

Crashes, dashes, bridges, beaches coming right up to help entice you to do this ride next time
Old 07-09-2013, 03:49 PM   #216
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by going south View Post
I have been to Durango & Mexiquillo, a few times now.
And I am still amazed at what a great big dramatic & beautiful landscape it is!

I really need to get a bike that is a little more dirt oriented so that I can take more of it in than what you see from the black top, like eating peanuts, you just can't stop at one round trip up the hill and back...
You nailed this right, Jimbo, our Man in Mazatlán

I would study the comments and photos of the various bikes talked about so far in this ride report

That has been one fun and unexpected aspect of this report - the discussion of the various machines that might be "in the zone" as good candidates to tackle a ride like this.

We already know, you should park that GS beast and yes, select a more gnarly rock trail capable machine

You might be hired next year to help some of the readers expressing interest in the 2014 ride

I could be talked into it again, especially to act as a liaison between Walter and the gringo rider troop

We might could use your advice in getting riders back to Durango if they decide to spend a few extra days on the play at Maz. We could take them to the Freeman Hotel! Grilled lobster next to the beach!
Old 07-09-2013, 03:58 PM   #217
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,402
Playa Mazatlan over El Cid.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:01 PM   #218
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Trice,
I started riding street in 1976 and realized that many places I wanted to go had unpaved roads....so I would ride wherever until the conditions became too difficult....mostly on 750-1000 cc beemers. Then the GS beemers seemed like the thing to do ( '81 R80, '96 GSA 1100) but after a few Baja trips and countless local mountain jeep trails, I realized that I needed a dirtbike....so in 2000 I got into dirtbiking....and THAT is when epic survival rides began.

Yep, bonking in Mexican mountain passes with no water and 4 hours left to go before the end of the day....puts a guy into a certain trance.

And we love it
I fully realize my place in the dirt bike hieraarchy (last!) and that means my epic is the next guy's walk in the park, BUT, there will ALWAYS be a rider out there who is better than us and a rider who is less talented. So I would say the "epic" rating on this ride, on a scale of 1 to 10 for where I was coming from, was a 15.

The fact that I did it should REALLY be encouraging to 2013 aspirants. COME DO THIS RIDE! It's México, it's relatively unknown, and it's a part of México that the vast majority of gringos NEVER ride on a dirt bike.

I'm looking forward to Baja in September, but there are a LOT of Baja ride reports. I'm still looking for another backcountry Sierra Madre ride report.

If I did this ride in 2014, I already know I'd be fitter still, more practiced, and especially, on a bike I'm more familiar with - ideally, my own KTM 500. That last bit is almost required of me now, since SR just sold the trusty and worthy DRZ400 that I rode.

So if a lowly fig like me, and a new-to-him dirt bike, not ergonomically fitted to his body, can run this with only 2 modest biffs (cartwheeling 2,000 feet down a cliff as the bike breaks into small pieces and my body saved only by a brush ourcropping before the final fatal plunge into a raging river ) than anyone reading this with the DESIRE to do this can do it
Old 07-09-2013, 04:06 PM   #219
SR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 980
There is no physical paper map. In past years we would load GPSs data the night before and 2 guys would leave early (like in the dark early) and mark the important intersections with spray paint. Those 2 people were myself and Alejandro. This year it reached a point where so many people had GPSs that it was no longer necessary to physically mark the trail. Not everyone had a GPS but at least one guy in each group did.

I loaded at least 100 GPSs the night before. I purposefully made no more than 8 tracks with less than 500 points each to accommodate the older GPSs. Lots of people didn't understand that their GPS only holds (X) amount of tracks. Others didn't understand that you have to make the track visible to see it. Others didn't understand the difference between a track and a route. Some of those very expensive golf carts had on-board GPS units where they had to load up an SIM card and transfer it to the GPS. I didn't really have time for GPS school on 10 different kinds of GPSs, many of which I'd never seen before.

Next year we are going to send the GPS file out by e-mail the day before the event so people can start to fool around with loading it themselves the day before. This will take a lot of pressure of the GPS loader guy on the evening before.

SR screwed with this post 07-10-2013 at 04:22 PM
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:14 PM   #220
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonz View Post
Hey my man Jonz, I hope reading this ride report and especially seeing more video on the second half will keep that desire alive through the year

I'm also hoping to make a big deal out of the fact that it's coming to México for a mainland dirt ride that also brings you to two great México cities. Mazatlán and Durango are great to explore, safe to explore, and you will have the vacation of a lifetime in addition to the ride of a lifetime.

I've been to both of these cities lots of times but it never gets old. In fact, both of them are at the same time very familiar to me and also at the same time always changing, always evolving.

Great restaurants, great cultural finds, amazing scenery, and both now soon to be linked with the most amazing paved highway I think in the world, the almost-opened Cuota 40, with so many bridges and tunnels, a true engineering marvel rivaling that of anything that exists in Switzerland or anywhere else.

And you will see the photos soon here in this ride report of the Puente Baluarte - the most amazing bridge spanning a canyon river that splits the states of Sinaloa and Durango. (Durango is a city and it is also the state that the city of Durango is in).

Both Durango and Mazatlán are served by international airports, so why not fly that loved into one of them and have a vacation of a lifetime after the ride.

There are so many cool places in both cities. At the end of the ride, why not hook up with Going South, our man in Mazatlán, for your own tour of this amazing town. Beaches, shrimp, lobster, great bars and bistros. Sooth your sore muscles with a massage and have someone bring you a post-ride medicinal drink under your cabana on the beach as the hotties in their bikinis walk by.

We did! Made the ride torture a thing for the memory album!

Old 07-09-2013, 04:16 PM   #221
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Hmmmmm???? The 450 or the 690??????

Hmmmmmm?????

What is the time of year for next year's ride?
Good choices either one

I would say, the one you're most comfortable on

And the ride is roughly the same time each year, mid to late June
Old 07-09-2013, 04:19 PM   #222
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Playa Mazatlan over El Cid.
From a personal perspective, I too much prefer the Playa Mazatlán over the El Cid, but the El Cid has the better logistics for a group like this.

I like the location a bit better for Playa Maz, and I think the staff is more personal since the hotel is much smaller (but still a good sized hotel).

Maybe I'm just used to it, too.

Great views in the towering El Cid, but the view from the Freeman that Going South took us to a few weeks ago were all the views I need in that town - so excellent!
Old 07-09-2013, 04:20 PM   #223
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Hey my man Jonz, I hope reading this ride report and especially seeing more video on the second half will keep that desire alive through the year

I'm also hoping to make a big deal out of the fact that it's coming to México for a mainland dirt ride that also brings you to two great México cities. Mazatlán and Durango are great to explore, safe to explore, and you will have the vacation of a lifetime in addition to the ride of a lifetime.

I've been to both of these cities lots of times but it never gets old. In fact, both of them are at the same time very familiar to me and also at the same time always changing, always evolving.

Great restaurants, great cultural finds, amazing scenery, and both now soon to be linked with the most amazing paved highway I think in the world, the almost-opened Cuota 40, with so many bridges and tunnels, a true engineering marvel rivaling that of anything that exists in Switzerland or anywhere else.

And you will see the photos soon here in this ride report of the Puente Baluarte - the most amazing bridge spanning a canyon river that splits the states of Sinaloa and Durango. (Durango is a city and it is also the state that the city of Durango is in).

Both Durango and Mazatlán are served by international airports, so why not fly that loved into one of them and have a vacation of a lifetime after the ride.

There are so many cool places in both cities. At the end of the ride, why not hook up with Going South, our man in Mazatlán, for your own tour of this amazing town. Beaches, shrimp, lobster, great bars and bistros. Sooth your sore muscles with a massage and have someone bring you a post-ride medicinal drink under your cabana on the beach as the hotties in their bikinis walk by.

We did! Made the ride torture a thing for the memory album!
Plus, you can cavort with putas if so inclined.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:22 PM   #224
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
There is no physical paper map. In past years we would load GPSs data the night before and 2 guys would leave early (like in the dark early) and mark the important intersections with spray paint. Those 2 people were myself and Alejandro. This year it reached a point where so many people had GPSs that it was no longer necessary to physically mark the trail. Not everyone had a GPS but at least one guy in each group did.

I loaded at least 100 GPSs the night before. I purposefully made no more than 8 tracks with less than 500 points each to accommodate the older GPSs. Lots of people didn't understand that their GPS only holds (X) amount of tracks. Others didn't understand that you have to make the track visible to see it. Others didn't understand the difference between a track and a route. Some of those very expensive golf carts had on-board GPS units where they had to load up an SIM card and transfer it to the GPS. I didn't really have time for GPS school on 10 different kinds of GPSs, many of which I'd never seen before.

Most of the people in the GPS line were being well behaved. But certainty if you can afford an ATV in Mexico then you should have to wait in line for anything. I took a special joy which I don't often get to experience in ignoring the line cutters.

Next year we are going to send the GPS file out by e-mail the day before the event so people can start to fool around with loading it themselves the day before. This will take a lot of pressure of the GPS loader guy on the evening before.
Herein lies the trade secret why I felt secure with SR in command of our two-man scout team - he built the route!!! Walter and others might have been huge in selecting the roads, but SR put them into GPS useable format.

We weren't going to get lost

Killed maybe, but not lost
Old 07-09-2013, 04:22 PM   #225
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
Plus, you can cavort with putas if so inclined.
Quoted before you can delete it!