Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2013, 07:09 AM   #256
SR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,005
Looks like I'm up with the Day 2 photos.

Back in the 1950s they started to extend the railroad line from El Salto down to Mazatlan. Something happened and they ran out of money but there is a long stretch of train grade road in this areas with 6 different train tunnels. It is a fun place to go exploring. BTW, Mexico has a long term transportation development plan that calls for eventually finishing this train line from Durango to Mazatlan.

We went from Mexiquillo down to a place called La Chavarria Valley. The road down is very old and parts of it get very little use by vehicles and have really nicely developed soil.

A little rain makes the clay rich soil have nice traction, but too much rain and it gets slippery. Tricepilot just kind of slid out here, but he was a good sport about it and let me take a photo before he got his knee unpinned from beneath the bike.

The Chavarria Valley is a giant volcanic caldera and probably the source of a lot of the volcanic material that we see in this area. You can kind of make out the archuate shape of the caldera rim in this photo. As the magma chamber evacuated the caldera floor sunk down.

This down dropped area has somewhat of a micro climate and is warmer with more rain than its surroundings.

A guy plowing a field with a horse or mule?

SR screwed with this post 07-12-2013 at 08:38 AM
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:18 AM   #257
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,323
Tricepilot's México: Off-Road Through the Sierra Madre From Durango to Mazatlán

Hey. I know and have ridden with the guy who got second in the GS Giant! Go Larry! Nice to see his name up there in print at the end. Other than that , I don't know what anybody can learn from that vid. Just some random dudes having fun on a predetermined course.

The problem is that the pics posted of the Ruta don't show the difficult portions. Just look like rough roads. And the pics posted minimize and soften the areas that are photographed. Like SR said, paraphrased, ain't nobody taking pics when you are just trying to survive. That has been my experience too. Got back from MX on some reasonably rough roads and the pics and vids made it look like we were riding in a parking lot. lol

From what I have learned from Trice and SR back channel any big giant dual sport would have difficulty with the Ruta. How much? I'd say it would range from impossible to do to damn near impossible to do, depending on the rider. I also know some young fellas with a hard cross country and enduro racing background who might just give it a shot on their big pigs. Crazy fuckers? Yup.

I am damn sure I ain't one of them. I don't have the skills. Stamina. Or the bike. Other than that I'm good to go.

slowoldguy screwed with this post 07-12-2013 at 07:23 AM
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:24 AM   #258
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
From what I have learned from Trice and SR back channel any big giant dual sport would have difficulty with the Ruta. How much? I'd say it would range from impossible to do to damn near impossible to do, depending on the rider. I also know some young fellas with a hard cross country and enduro racing background who might just give it a shot on their big pigs. Crazy fuckers? Yup.
Actually, I'm dying to have someone try the Ruta 2014 on a GSA to prove SR and I wrong.

Like said before - big chunks of it could be done, a few more chunks with assistance, but anyone who could repeat the canyon drop and climb on that big pig and be filmed doing it would blow "GS Giant" stuff out of the water.

Yes - it's when you're relaxed you whip out the camera more often.

Many of the photos just posted are what I call "Pastoral Switzerland" photos.

The canyon and the ATV choke point at the landslide would be almost impossible to all but the most experienced GSA riders.

But yes, if someone tries it on that big bike next year I'm going along just to get it on video
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:29 AM   #259
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

It was the deep river bottom silt baby head never ending section SR mentioned to me that had me shaking in my boots. Sounded bad ass.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:31 AM   #260
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post

A little rain makes the clay rich soil have nice traction, but too much rain and it gets slippery. Tricepilot just kind of slid out here, but he was a good sport about it and let me take a photo before he got his knee unpinned from beneath the bike.
This was the last place I expected to wipeout

This was the first of my 2 biffs for the 24 "Hours of Rocky Le Mans"

My left leg is actually pinned here

What got me was the snot slick berm in the middle of the road, I was trying to change track and the front wheel disappeared on me

I can tell you that wearing hard knee armor is the way to go. No more pads in pants only to protect that vulnerable spot.

The collective fatigue from the first day was something unexpected to me. Miguel told me the second day would be more difficult because of that. It the 2 crashes to know what he meant.

Back at ride start, the veteran route scouts said the second half of the first day was going to be the hardest.

I disagree - because of fatigue, I found the second day harder, but it had it's own big thrill - the Baluarte.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:34 AM   #261
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oh. And I don't know about the GS Adventure. I was talking about any of the big pigs. Only one of my "crazy fucker" nominees has one of those. The others are on big Katooms. None are on Vstroms or Teneres.

slowoldguy screwed with this post 07-12-2013 at 07:43 AM
Old 07-12-2013, 07:38 AM   #262
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
The Chavarria valley is a giant volcanic caldera and probably the source of a lot of the volcanic material that we see in this area. You can kind of make out the archuate shape of the caldera wall in this photo. As the magma chamber evacuated the caldera floor sunk down.
From who else but a geologist can you get this kind of narrative?

Riding along and stopping for gold and silver vein deposits was also fun!

I'm going back for the huge gold nugget he spotted, before he gets it or someone else in the Sierra gets rich

Quote:

This valley section was relaxing and reminded me of that scene in The Great Escape - hard to tell the difference between this and Switzerland

Who knew you could find this in the middle of the Sierra Madre?

Old 07-12-2013, 07:55 AM   #263
SR
Beastly Adventurer

I hate to Jab those BMW guys in the video because I know it's very hard to capture all of the ride on a few shots. Also, they may have been running against the clock. Although, what they showed in that video really doesn't look that hard!

It's easy to take scenery shots but it is very hard do capture the level of difficulty of any ride. Especially inclination, which never shows up in photos. And again, the camera doesn't come out when you trying to get through a tough area.

This ride is long, longer than most enduro races, but it's not super gnarly for an off road ride. It's just not made for big bikes. Probably because we are on a forum with a lot of guys who ride big bikes the narrative keeps coming back around as to whether or not a big bike could do it?

Sure a very good rider could get through on big bike, he would probably dump it several times and would need some help to get through some sections, but what would be the point? Who wants to waste a weekend taking the wrong bike on a sweet ride. If anyone really wants to take the wrong bike for a ride, just enter the GSA into an enduro race or hare scramble any weekend of the summer in the US.

SR screwed with this post 02-24-2014 at 11:02 AM
Old 07-12-2013, 08:34 AM   #264
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Quote:
I hate to Jab those BMW guys in the video because I know it's very hard to capture all of the ride on a few shots. Also, they may have been running against the clock. Although, what they showed in that video really doesn't look that hard!

It's easy to take scenery shots but it is vary hard do capture the level of difficulty of any ride. Especially inclination, which never shows up in photos. And again, the camera doesn't come out when you trying to get through a tough area.
Agreed. And that's what I have been saying. Look. As an example, you minimize the difficulty of the GS Giant course based on what was posted but you recognize that had you been there it might have been quite different.

Same reason I asked about Ruta comparisons to Colorado passes we both might have ridden. I was trying to get a feel because the pics posted weren't matching up with the words. But we had no common passes.

The pics of the Ruta posted simply don't look that hard but I might have missed one. Now, you know "it is that hard" and are doing your best to convey that.

But at times on this board people will say don't try the RMAR ride or Big Bend National Park on a big bike and then people do it and have a good time. That's all that is going on.

But for me, I'm convinced. I'd never try it on a big bike. Might not try it all on little bike. ;)
Old 07-12-2013, 08:54 AM   #265
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Today's Chavarria Valley photos give hope to everybody!
Old 07-12-2013, 08:59 AM   #266
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,354
You would probably just need a couple guys to help you through some gnarly sections; who knows....I would try it if the others would not be put off by having to lift and push. I think one of the real risks is having the bike fall on your leg or having it slide down the hillside. I have been a witness to great rides turning into ambulance rides and don't want to inflict that on my buds or have it inflicted on me, especially in super remote areas.
Nest year it will be possibly Super Enduro but probably 530EXC with 6.3 gal tank for me. I can't wait as this stuff is right up my alley.
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:02 AM   #267
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

And SR. As to why anybody would try it on a big bike? You got me. I dunno. Lots of things people do for fun just look like work to me.

I guess they might find it extremely challenging and they want an extreme challenge? I am just out to play so I don't get it.

Trust me. I only have one answer to "why did you ride that road on that bike?" Well. It looked like the most fun at the time. ;)
Old 07-12-2013, 09:04 AM   #268
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Today's Chavarria Valley photos give hope to everybody!
lol Those are 100 mph roads. ;) I was speaking of all the thread pics I have seen. Again. I could have missed one.

Edit: Jimmex. I have seen 950 SE's do some amazing things.

slowoldguy screwed with this post 07-12-2013 at 09:11 AM
Old 07-12-2013, 09:19 AM   #269
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
lol Those are 100 mph roads. ;)
2014 Tom! Vamanos!
Old 07-12-2013, 09:41 AM   #270
SR
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
It was the deep river bottom silt baby head never ending section SR mentioned to me that had me shaking in my boots. Sounded bad ass.
Slowoldguy, I forgot about that stretch that I mentioned to you when I was describing the route earlier. There was a 8 km stretch in Sinaloa right down a broad river valley. Most people didn't do it because it was late in the day, hot and the highway was close by, so most people just jumped on the highway. But I did it, it was very gnarley.

It was a dry river valley filled with loose coarse gravel. The bike would sink in as soon as I stopped moving. There was no marked trail because it had been erased away from when the water last came. There were lateral banks of baby heads and I found myself moving into the baby head fields because at least they gave traction. The channel within the river bed was dry, but it was was 4 or 5 feet deep in some places, so I had to go up and down the steep soft gravel bank dozens of times. I had to keep the engine running at about 140% its normal load just to plow through the gravel. The bike got real hot and I burned the hell out of my leg on the muffler guard.

I am almost certain that it would take a big bike all day long with 2 guys pushing to do this 5 mile stretch. Simple physics, too much weight on too little tire. Even the ATVs were struggling with this stuff.

I didn't take any photos of this area. I was just happy to get out of there without any problems. I didn't do the this part of the Pre-Route but the guys who did told me that in this section one of them (Hector) broke down. They were in the hot tropical sun in the middle of the day for 3 hours trying to get the bike going. Two guys started to get heat stroke. When they finally got out of there they laid down on the floor of the first house they came to for an hour while the other guys poured water on them!

This photo is from the pre-route ride and is not mine. It is not very representative. The valley was a lot wider in most places and there is shade in this photo!

Here is another photo I just found. This area isn't too bad looking.

SR screwed with this post 07-12-2013 at 10:33 AM