Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2013, 12:41 PM   #376
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,206

Runing up the Espinazo del Diablo from Mazatlán on SR's DRZ400, on the way back to Durango.

SR is holding one hand on the bar and the other hand operating his Pentax WG

Tricepilot Tip: Don't leave your rain jacket with your gear in Mazatlán because you expect the route back across the Sierra to be dry as the forecast.

Expect freezing rain! Because it did!

You can have fun cutting lines (good and bad) on the Espinazo - but don't forget to keep an eye out for the trucker using your lane to make 2 for his path.

Also, rumor has it that the truckers on the Espinazo get a little "help" in the form of, well, let's just say "performance enhancing drugs" to keep them alert. Popped-up truckers, that's what we like!

Notice the kickout for the bush at 00:28
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:49 PM   #377
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post

More importantly, finally its ( and my first ride post arm break) shakedown ride camping in the jungles of Thailand on some singletrack.

I'll slowly get it accustomed to the mud and clay of SEA but it sure would like a shot at three foot deep sand whoops and rocky singletrack desert rides.

Maxxis have been removed, Tubliss inserted and other mods for its life of multi week offroading trips.

If you post a RR of you Baja trip I'd love it you can PM me a link. Offroading and DS ride reports are what I enjoy.

Thanks again for the RR.

If you were doing the ride unsupported what gas range would you need on this ride?
To answer your last question first, it would be really, really hard to do this ride unsupported unless you stashed gas on some of the legs or were absolutely sure you could find ejidos to buy gas.

I will definitely do a RR on the upcoming Baja adventure. Your tale has me thinking to take the KTM500 and not rent one of Baja Bound's Hondas. Still up in the air.

Interestingly, Tim Morton likes inserts in the front tire as well (keeps a heavy duty tube in the back). I have one ready to go if I take the KTM.

I still can't believe you're having the time of your life in Thailand! Add pics of Thai girls!
Old 07-31-2013, 12:53 PM   #378
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoged View Post
Trice,
You will love the Baja riding pleasures.

More proof of the dangers....:

Thanks for showing us parts of God's Middle Finger
I never thought of adding a zipper to my ankle for maintenance purposes!

Muy divertido (lots of fun) to get back there into the Sierra Madre, right where God's Middle Finger was centered. I still think it's an amped-up book, but then again, our ride management was in touch with the "unauthorized authorities" so we had zero issues with the territorial bosses.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:56 PM   #379
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdon View Post
Hey Bob at your advanced age I can see why your after Salma for her money!
Does Striking Viking still live in Mazatlan?
jajajajajajaja I'll take .00001% of Salma's wealth - that would give me enough to vagabond the earth for a long time.

I haven't emailed Glen in a while but I do think he still has a condo in Maz, but not the one I visited him at, he sold that one IIRC.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:04 PM   #380
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Uh-oh, SR was recently seen in Washington State on a rented Triumph Explorer 1200XC

Does this mean the days of the brand-new Yammy WR450R are already over?
Old 07-31-2013, 01:07 PM   #381
SR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post

Runing up the Espinazo del Diablo from Mazatlán on SR's DRZ400, on the way back to Durango.
The Espinazo is always fun. Even on dirt bikes. I was tempted to turn that DRZ into a supermotard specifically for running it.

If it looks like we are in slow motion in this video, we kind of are. I asked Trice to slow down so I could film him. It is hard to go full bore while filming with one hand.

SR screwed with this post 07-31-2013 at 05:09 PM
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:09 PM   #382
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Ho View Post
tricepilot
Thanks for this great report and glad you have found the dirty side of motorcycling. I ride street and dirt and find street riding almost boring next to riding off road, also I have been to Copper Canyon twice and it is a thousand miles one way from my house so I may never take the time to ride the Sierra Madre. SR, You are a lucky man to be able to live and ride in this area.
I guarantee that if you make the time, you'll have a memory for a lifetime

Remember, you don't have to do the full Ruta, you can connect with SR and Miguel and Alex (etc) and do nice segments. A loop around the Baluarte would be a perfect example.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:22 PM   #383
SR
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Uh-oh, SR was recently seen in Washington State on a rented Triumph Explorer 1200XC

Does this mean the days of the brand-new Yammy WR450R are already over?

Mt. Rainier.

The new Triumph ExplorerXC is amazing! Three cylinders, 135 Hp and very nice ergs. Unbelievably powerful and fun to ride, and sounds cool too!

The days of the new Yammy are just beginning, but that Triumph was fun for a weekend!

SR screwed with this post 07-31-2013 at 01:45 PM
Old 07-31-2013, 03:33 PM   #384
going south
hero & Zero...

Oddometer: 962
SR in Washington?

What are you doing there?
I have the scooter in Seattle, but I am in the Floating jail house...
There's always next time....

Never Lost! Just Don't know where I am!

"Don't worry about your money, let your money worry about you" Jorge González
going south is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:43 PM   #385
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by going south View Post
but I am in the Floating jail house...

That pic you showed me of floating jail house looks bad ass. You think fish and game would mind it if we took it on the Kenai?

One of these days I'm getting back down to Mexico to ride with all you payasos.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:35 PM   #386
SR
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by going south View Post
What are you doing there?
I have the scooter in Seattle, but I am in the Floating jail house...
There's always next time....
I had a meeting in Idaho and popped in to see my brother in Seattle for the weekend. He rides a BMW R1150R, when it's not raining in Seattle that is? We did a loop around the Cascades starting with Whidbey Island, then east on HW 20 to Wenatche and back through Rainier NP. It was very scenic and fun. Not a drop of rain and hardly a cloud in the sky.

I should have got a hold of some other inmates including you GS, but we were moving fast. We did a 750 miles in 48 hours, from the time I picked up the bike Friday 4:30 pm until Sunday at 4:30. We saw hundreds of other bikes maybe a thousand. Very friendly riders up in the Great NW, almost everyone waves. The Triumph is very fast and fun to ride!

SR screwed with this post 08-01-2013 at 12:46 PM
Old 07-31-2013, 06:13 PM   #387
RW66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
I had a meeting in Idaho and popped in to see my brother in Seattle for the weekend. He rides a BMW R1150R, when it's not raining in Seattle that is? We did aloop around the Cascades starting with Whidbey island, then east on HW 20 to Wenatche and back through Rainier NP. It was very scenic and fun. Not a drop of rain and hardly a cloud in the sky.

I should have got a hold of some other inmates including you GS, but we were moving fast. We did a 750 miles in 48 hours from the time I picked up the bike Friday 4:30 pm to until Sunday 4:30. We saw hundreds of other bikes maybe a thousand. Very friendly riders up in the Great NW, almost everyone waves. The Triumph is very fast and fun to ride!
Well SR what do you think......is there a Tiger in your future?

You make a living by what you get........you make a life by what you give. ( author unknown)
RW66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:54 PM   #388
SR
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW66 View Post
Well SR what do you think......is there a Tiger in your future?
I think the 1200xc is a little over the top to own in Mexico. Plus, I just got a new dirt bike, so I don't see it in my near future. I know you have the 800 Tiger. I'm happy with the Wee STROM for now, but I'd definitely consider trading it for a Tiger 800 next.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:06 PM   #389
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Edited the OP to include the final version of the Ruta YouTube video

Thanks to SR for pointing it out

Mexico & off-road - you can't beat it
Old 08-26-2013, 03:58 PM   #390
SR
Studly Adventurer

TP, I just picked up your Jersey and a hard copy of the new video from Walter. You will have to come down and pick it up.

The video came Ok. I think last years video was more well done but it's still fun to watch.