Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2013, 09:29 PM   #391
SR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 978
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
One of these days I'm getting back down to Mexico to ride with all you payasos.
Andale Cabron!
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:14 PM   #392
George 99
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonz View Post
and it has me thinking I may be up for this ride next year. If you start a list of interested riders, put me on it. I think I'll pass on the 950 for the first year though.
What Jonz said.

My new-to-me DRZ-E will be well broken in by then. Mazatlan is only a thousand miles from Kingman, I ought'a be able to get down there no problem. I'll do some shake down rides over the winter.

Thanks to all the contributors for this great read. Pictures and vids are all well worth the time to go thru the whole thing. I've plotted a course from Kingman, AZ thru Copper Canyon then on to Durango and Mazetlan and home again. Only 4265 KM so easily doable over a 3 week (+/0) period. One set of tires? I hope so.

George 99 screwed with this post 09-01-2013 at 01:41 PM
George 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 08:26 PM   #393
Arte
Stuck in the 80's

Oddometer: 1,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post

Dave,

This is an outstanding question and I'll do my best to answer it from my perspective.

Trust me, I started CrossFit last September to get ready for this. I cycle pretty long distances every other day. When I read your post (on my IPhone) I was in the middle of a 60 mile training ride today. I think I'm pretty fit for a mid-50s guy. To enjoy this ride, you'll need to bring the fitness for the bike you are riding. A 990? You better be in great shape and have plenty of gnarly experience on it.

Bob,
I'm selling my KLR650 and getting ready to ride a KTM990. from many years ago pretty much I run 6 miles three times a week, with prety good cardio resistance for a guy of my age but I'm a flaco guy, I'm 6' and only 170 pounds. Would I be able to make this route?
Have riden plenty of nasty roads on the KLR but never on a KTM

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 12:58 AM   #394
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arte View Post
Bob,
I'm selling my KLR650 and getting ready to ride a KTM990. from many years ago pretty much I run 6 miles three times a week, with prety good cardio resistance for a guy of my age but I'm a flaco guy, I'm 6' and only 170 pounds. Would I be able to make this route?
Have riden plenty of nasty roads on the KLR but never on a KTM
Arte, depending upon where the 2014 Ruta is routed, there could be even longer ultra gnarly sections.

You have the fitness down, the only question is can you throw the 990 around when you need to ride it like a pony on 12 hour days.

Visualize steep canyon switchback climbs with deep sand, and equally deep descents (for miles) on baby head rocks, that's what you're up against.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 09:00 AM   #395
Gustavo
Motociclista Errante

Oddometer: 2,260
Ay caramba, I go off to work a little and you payasos go on these epic rides. I hadn't even seen this RR until I noticed it Roberto's sig.

Well done SR and Trice. I had seen pics of the DGO-MAZ ride in Motociclisomo, didn't know SR was so involved in organizing it. Thanks for the excellent report.

Since it took me almost 5 months to find it, maybe I should wish you guys a Happy New Year for 2014 and 2015 too, just in case it takes me that long to get back to see your report...

Saludos,

Gustavo
Gustavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 09:30 AM   #396
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo View Post
Ay caramba, I go off to work a little and you payasos go on these epic rides.

Stay tuned Gustavo, the next installment starts in 3 weeks when we begin filming a Tecate to Cabo San Lucas segment
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:27 AM   #397
Jenn
praise seitan!

Oddometer: 646
Great trip report & pictures. I'm very impressed that anyone would jump into crossfit as a way to get into shape for this kind of trip!

And it's been a few months - I wonder if Arte has gone off on his own trip or started crossfit, too? :)
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote