User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2013, 07:52 PM   #76
michaellmcc
Dudester

Oddometer: 74
Sounds like you're prepared

Trice your ability to come back with something appropo never ceases to amaze me. Have a drink and tell us more!
Explored by motorbike: USA, Canada, Alaska, Mexico, France, Spain, Portugal, Morocco, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Vietnam. Videos: Alaska: http://vimeo.com/70698420; Mexico: http://vimeo.com/62712738 ; Austin to Indy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPsHo...eature=mh_lolz ; Morocco: http://youtu.be/fW758r_V4mE ; Big Bend: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEKpJ...ature=youtu.be
michaellmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:11 PM   #77
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaellmcc View Post
Trice your ability to come back with something appropo never ceases to amaze me. Have a drink and tell us more!
The weather risk on this ride is huge!

One rider got lost and was stuck out in the Sierra in the cold/rain/dark for a day and a 1/2. When they found him he wasn't good!

And I, your resident Bad Example, when the dirt event was over, left my jacket with someone in Maz and rode up the paved Espinazo towards the stashed trailer in El Salto, wearing only a t-shirt and body armor.

Yes! And down came the freezing rain for an hour and a 1/2!

I used a borrowed scrap of plastic sheeting to survive!

Wait 'til you see SR's video of my wipeout - textbook example - I did everything wrong! This is why they hire me at dirt riding schools - as the clown!
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:17 PM   #78
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
I thought about taking my SE on this ride and just riding it all the way there and back. Would have been interesting as this thing can be a handful.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:37 PM   #79
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
I thought about taking my SE on this ride and just riding it all the way there and back. Would have been interesting as this thing can be a handful.
Future Ruta Riders should consider this:

Trucking your favorite "mid weight" dirt bike is the way to go, IMHO

The entire route depicted below, all cuota today except for the soon to be opened 40D from DGO to MAZ, is, IMHO, safe for a gringo truck with a bike in the back. Usual caveats about daytime etc. apply.

That's 85 from Nuevo Laredo to Monterrey, and 40 everywhere else (40 runs Matamoros on the Gulf to Mazatlán on the Sea of Cortés - Cortez if you prefer)
Old 07-04-2013, 04:24 AM   #80
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,509
I'm glad you posed this. This is my planned route for my first trip, whenever I make it. I'm curious as to the distance and amount of time this would take on a 650 vstrom, price of "cheap' places to stay...the usual stupid questions by those who have no idea.
Quote:
Future Ruta Riders should consider this:

Trucking your favorite "mid weight" dirt bike is the way to go, IMHO

The entire route depicted below, all cuota today except for the soon to be opened 40D from DGO to MAZ, is, IMHO, safe for a gringo truck with a bike in the back. Usual caveats about daytime etc. apply.

That's 85 from Nuevo Laredo to Monterrey, and 40 everywhere else (40 runs Matamoros on the Gulf to Mazatlán on the Sea of Cortés - Cortez if you prefer)
Old 07-04-2013, 05:29 AM   #81
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
I'm glad you posted this. This is my planned route for my first trip, whenever I make it. I'm curious as to the distance and amount of time this would take on a 650 vstrom, price of "cheap' places to stay...the usual stupid questions by those who have no idea.
Hola kitesurfer

Sometime today I'll be sending you a PM to answer this. I enjoy talking about ride plans for México.

When you get a more defined timeline, you should keep ADV inmate Sjoerd Bakker in mind.

Sjoerd Bakker himself here at Casona Tricepilot:

Sjoerd is the king of México travel and knows more about the hiways and byways of the country than anyone on this board. He also has more miles down there than anyone on this board.

There are a huge number of variables that go into your question, but I'll tell you this extreme:

If you just wanted to cross the border at Laredo and get to Mazatlán, and you didn't want to hear my "take your time in México" speech, you could do it in 2 days easy if you haul the mail on the cuotas.

tricepilot screwed with this post 07-06-2013 at 04:09 PM
Old 07-04-2013, 05:34 AM   #82
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Of course, Emiliano was the original king of México routing

Old 07-04-2013, 07:14 AM   #83
SR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 980
It is good to be back in good old US of A. We try to plan our summer vacation around being in the US during 4th of July. This year we are up in Ashland Wisconsin for some bass fishing on Lake Superior.

I'm a bit of a GPS geek. I like to use the GPS in conjunction with Google Earth to help plan the routes in the Sierra and after the ride I like to see where I actually went. I just recently figured out how to make these videos in Google Earth Professional. These videos were made using a one week trial version of GE professional. I'm not ready to throw down $400 USD on the full license just yet. The frame in these videos is following the as built track that I recorded. The user can play around with the distance from the earth, the camera angle, the speed and the resolution and some other stuff.

The videos are divided into Day 1 and Day 2 of the ride.

The drop down into the Upper Rio Prsidio River Valley in the afternoon of Day 1 was my favorite part of the ride. It took us about 3 hours of downhill switchbacks to get down there and another 2.5 to get back up. It is a very isolated area. Very little human presence down there but a gold mine that has been closed since the early 1970s. Not even a tiendita to by some chips or a juice.

Enjoy. I'm heading out on the lake for the day.

SR screwed with this post 07-04-2013 at 01:50 PM
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:47 AM   #84
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,505
Quote:
Did you take that bike to the Wild Bunch hacienda??????

That route was gnarly!!!

(story at the end of the ride report about us following in Pedro's footsteps to find the filming location of the grand finale of The Wild Bunch)
Nope not on that trip in my RR. The bike had street tires on it during that first trip. However, on my second trip, I went up to Santo Madero again and spied several ruins with my binos. These ruins had dirt roads leading to them. These were easy to locate on my topo map from Santo Madero, so I shot an azimuth to them from there, found the dirt roads when I got to the low ground and had no problem getting to these smaller ruins on the bike with the dual tires. For the first trip the dirt road to the hacienda was in pretty good condition, IMO, heading south until reaching that ejido shack. Nobody home. From there went west on foot because things turned to crap. I had asked at El Farol about getting a horse, they told me they could arrange for that, but in the end I got to the hacienda by other means (PM'ing the details...).

Pedro Navaja screwed with this post 07-04-2013 at 08:01 AM
Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:27 AM   #85
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,385
That's just plain cool.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:58 AM   #86
pdedse
paraelamigosincero

Oddometer: 1,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
...I just recently figured out how to make these videos in Google Earth Professional. These videos were made using a one week trial version of GE professional. ...
Very nice, gives one a feel for the overall ride.
pdedse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:05 AM   #87
Baja Ho
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 730
Quote:

Or, you can come to Tecate in September and watch me flail from there to Cabo over 9 days!
You will love Baja on the KTM 500, but September could be a little hot . November through March are my favorite months.
Baja Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:25 AM   #88
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Ho View Post
You will love Baja on the KTM 500, but September could be a little hot . November through March are my favorite months.
I'm pounding the miles on my road bike (bicycle) in 100 degree Texas heat getting ready for RAGBRAI which starts in 2 weeks and the Hotter 'n Hell which is next month.

Road cycling that past year in as many events as I could find in the San Antonio area is a big part of the credit I give to being in decent shape to do the Ruta.

If you (speaking to the readership here) are cruising through your 40s and certainly if you are in your 50s and you are not in shape DO NOT attempt the Ruta or it will eat you for lunch! This is NOT a lazy tour through the Sierra!

Living in Texas, heat doesn't bother me anymore, nor does humidity. Much.

The timing isn't my choice, the full run to Cabo is with Tim Morton and his bunch, and they do that run twice a year. I was going to do a paved Baja "recon", but with three big dirt rides under my belt I decided to complete a quad and do Baja all off-road.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:31 AM   #89
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
I'm a bit of a GPS geek. I like to use the GPS in conjunction with Google Earth to help plan the routes in the Sierra and after the ride I like to see where I actually went. I just recently figured out how to make these videos in Google Earth Professional. These videos were made using a one week trial version of GE professional. I'm not ready to throw down $400 USD on the full license just yet. The frame in these videos is following the as built track that I recorded. The user can play around with the distance from the earth, the camera angle, the speed and the resolution and some other stuff.

The videos are divided into Day 1 and Day 2 of the ride.
Good job man! I hotlinked the vids/graphs to the opening post

Hey, since you're fishing up north, remember the old trick: stop by the store and get some filets and put them in your cooler - show the fam what an angler your are when you get home from what would otherwise have been an empty handed day
Old 07-04-2013, 09:32 AM   #90
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdedse View Post
Very nice, gives one a feel for the overall ride.
Yes and even better if you watched SR's videos while sitting on a jackhammer!