ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2013, 01:30 PM   #1
johnpitts01 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 975
Weekend from Las Vegas

Esteemed inmates;

I hope you can help me.
I have some frined visiting from Holland the end of September for a business related event in Las Vegas.
I'd like to take them out for the weekend on rented bikes to show them some of our great country. The plan would be to leave LV Saturday morning and be back to LV some time Sunday evening.

Some mild off road riding would be ok and in fact nice for these Dutch visitors, but nothing too challenging.

I am torn to head west to Death Valley or east to the Grand Canyon.

Comments, thoughths, opinions, recommendations all welcome.

Also any ideas for a good place to rent bikes. The guys from Holland have GS's in their garages at home, but very little off road riding experience on the big beasts. THey'd like to rent GS' in LV.

Thanks in advance.

John (from Joisey)
johnpitts01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:34 PM   #2
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,822
Death Valley is interesting because of the numbers: elevation extremes, high temperatures, and so on. But visually it may not be as striking to the Dutch as the Grand Canyon. Also, your friends will not be acclimated to the kind of heat you may encounter in Death Valley (even in September). For those reasons, I would go east.

I don't know what your budget is, but you might even take them to the Skyway:

http://www.grandcanyonwest.com/skywalktour.php

It isn't cheap, because it comes as a package deal through the Hualapai Tribe, but that would be a striking contrast to anything in Holland.

You might also take them over the Glen Canyon Bridge, for a cheaper thrill of heights:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alanenglish/7523729938/
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:38 PM   #3
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,239
There are a few places that rent bikes here in Las Vegas. Be prepared to spend big bucks.

Head east to the north rim of the Grand Canyon. You'll get out of the September heat and you can stay on easy dirt roads. Toroweap is a 60 mile straight shot south of Colorado City. The North Rim Lodge is a very cool place as well.
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:10 PM   #4
sealsam
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 1,727
While HCHerb & tbarstow always have great ideas(cause they know the area's), you really should consider Zion NP, Cedar Breaks and possibly Bryce NP. You are gunna still have late light on your side.

You could also incorporate Red Rock Canyon(great 13mi loop west of Vegas) and Valley of Fire(north of Vegas).

While not discounting GC or DV, you could probably get more bang for you buck with a quicky up to UT. Also, let me throw in Kolob Res just east of St. George. These are all paved roads that may also lead to a more pleasant experience.
sealsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:08 AM   #5
johnpitts01 OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks

Thanks to all for the suggestions.
THe vistors from Holland dont get to ride much off road. So that is near the top of their list is for some off road riding. But it's gotta be easy stuff. Nothing too difficult. And they have no sand experience so I want to avoid any deep / difficult sand sections.

I will investigate the suggestions and come back with more questions.

John
Old 07-03-2013, 03:04 PM   #6
johnpitts01 OP
Studly Adventurer

tbarstow;

can you recommend any specific dirt roads or point me to any threads hereon ADVRider that I can plot a route?

Any help appreciated.

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarstow View Post
There are a few places that rent bikes here in Las Vegas. Be prepared to spend big bucks.

Head east to the north rim of the Grand Canyon. You'll get out of the September heat and you can stay on easy dirt roads. Toroweap is a 60 mile straight shot south of Colorado City. The North Rim Lodge is a very cool place as well.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:38 PM   #7
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,239
Here's a few I've been on:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...e+grand+canyon

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...8376&page=1476

Some easy tracks here:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=812730

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=860736

Red Rock and Valley of Fire are nice, but doing them on bikes is a waste of a rented motorcycle.

If you are going to do the National Parks (Bryce, Zion, Capitol Reef, Lake Mead, Red Rock), plan it out and it will more than likely be less expensive to get the Annual Pass than it is to pay for them individually, as you can get 2 bikes into the National Parks on 1 annual pass.
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:19 PM   #8
aufevermike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
BMW of Las Vegas

I've rented from BMW of Las Vegas. Kurt and the guys are great and will also help with where to go....