Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2013, 10:06 AM   #16
Ebeo1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
When I took of the rain suit I had been wearing it for 6 hours and I was sweating under it plus the dampness already in it had was giving me a wet dog musk. I got my room took a shower and met the roomates. To be honest I was worried if I would be murdered in my sleep but after getting to know the guys the next day I felt they were alright with the exception of this fella below. He was in England because he had political enemies in France who want him dead. He told me that his tea had been poisoned in the morning in an attempt to assasinate him. Then he told me I was lucky to have such a good body and I will last a long time. He blames his poor health on a life of work and the chemicals of his enemies which he had been forced to ingest while in prison under false cannabis charges. The port at Plymouth is pretty too every two weeks there is a bike show in a park.

Ebeo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:08 PM   #17
Ebeo1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

leaving plymouth

After hanging qround plymouth for a few days it was time to leave and go to to france. Here are so,e pictures of Plymouth from the ferry and my bike being latched down.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:11 AM   #18
Ebeo1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The ferry to France took about 11 hours to complete. An option to was availible to upgrade to a cabin so you could sleep the ferry was 110 euro and the cabin was an additional 80 euro. I decided the additional 80 was no worth it since I am young and had my sleeping stuff with my gear on my bike. Like most other passangers with out a cabin I slept on the floor in my sleeping bag.

On the ferry I met Stephane and Appegoet a french couple who were returning from a concert in England on a motorcycle. Using my high school french and a translator app I found out the Stephan was an electrician. I was having problems with my 12 volt outlet on my bike so I asked if he could look at it. He had no tools on the ferry so I went with them to their house in Bres France after arriving. The problem was the connector behind the outlet the wire was damaged and that caused it to not work sometimes. After Stephan took it apart the connector just fall apart. Wheatwacker had given me the wire harness and said it used to be used for a gps unit. Now I know why it was in the grab bin I think it must have given the original owner problems so it had been reaplced.

Thanks to the French couple for their hospitality and repairs I now had a dependible power source and got to see one more town I would have not visted.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:13 AM   #19
Ebeo1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

There was plenty of google translate being used!
Old 07-09-2013, 12:35 AM   #20
Ebeo1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I drove to Paris were I met an old friend of mine. I did not know until going to Europe America is behind in their credit card technology. All the places I used my card in the Ireland and UK I was able to have it swiped. Some of the places in France could not swipe the card and would read the cards chip only. To further add to Americas lack of technoloy all the stores used electrnic prices on their goods. There is good newes the french did honor us by naming our Russian dressing American souce.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:50 AM   #21
Ebeo1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I explored Paris the next day I had already been there so my main objective was to find a french flag sticker and patch for my collection. I was talking about using the train but my friend said avec la moto I could easly drive through traffic and find free parking. I drove into Paris and the traffic was terrible I was sitting in a long line of stopped cars on the highway hating life when I saw a motorcycle blowing through traffic on the dotted line. More motorcycles were following and it did not take long before I joined the group. Riding in Paris was completley wild I did things that would get me arrested twice over in the states. This was just an everyday normal thing there. I was not use to the number of scootersq either, there was 500 cc scooters doing 80 mph next to me or passing me on the highway. Many people were wearing suits and other formal cloths for the jobs I saw two different women in skirts and high heels on mototrcycles. I drove around saw some tourist sites but never found the flag sticker I was looking for. I did pay the high fee to enter the Montparnasse to see the entire city. This was the tallest biulding in the old part of Paris and most people think it is too big and ugly for the area. I took so,e pictures so enjoy them they cost me 10€.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:32 AM   #22
Ebeo1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I decided to head home I wanted a picture in front of the Arc de triomphe but it was all the way across the city. I guess I had not had enough near death experinces in the morning so I pointed my bike northwest and joined the suicidal pack of two wheelers commuting home. I knew the Arc was inside a huge roundabout and a good picture would be difficult but I managed to get the best picture I could.

Now that was complete I started back to my friends apartment. I thought I would have an uneventful trip as I was learning the roads and city pretty well but I got lost. This is where a handle bar mounted gps would be useful I would be presented with an exit while driving and would need to kake a split second decision to go right or left. You would think out of two choices I would get the correct one 50% of the time but I somehow manage to choose the incorrect one 90% of the time. This train of decision making lead may way off course to a toll road. I was lost had a 50 € note in my pocket and credit cards with out a chip so I knew things were not going to go well. I was not about ready to spend 50 € on a 4€ toll roqd I did not want to travel on so I went to the toll with the little booth hoping I could hqve the person break my note. As you would guess there was no one in there so I tried my card it did not work so I called the help button. The person responded over the almost inaudible speaker in french. After some back in forth an attended came out who only spoke frnech by this time there was a large line of cars behind me and we proceeded to get into an argument. I tried to say in my best french I did not want to be on A14 the toll road but A13 which was behind me.

Me: Je ne veux pas A quatorze ans, je veux A treize ans, j'ai aller dans ce sens A quatorze [I do not want A fourteen I want A thirteen I go that way A fourteen]

Attended: quelle est la probmem? vous êtes sur une route à péage vous devez payer quatre Eruo [what is the probmem? you are on a toll road you must pay four eruo]

He pointed to the credit card slot which I think he wanted me to use my card.

Me: ma carte de crédit est américaine il pas de puce, je vais aller à A treize [my credit card is American it no chip I will go to A thirteen]

Attended: vous devrez payer le péage [you will pay the toll]

Me: Je ne sais pas comment je peux [I do not know how i can]

Attended: Dites-vous que vous refusez de payer [Are you saying you refuse to pay]

Me: Je ne peux pas [I can not]

Attended: Parfait si vous ne paierez que je vais appeler la police [Fine if you will not pay I will call the police]

Me: Oui yes

Attended: La police viendra pour vous [The police will come for you]

Me: Oui ca va? yes ok?

Attended: bon je fais l'appel [good I am making the call]

I missed half the conversation but I was excited to see the police as it would make a good picture. Come to find out the guy was bluffing the police would not come and someone who I assumed was the suppervisor came out. They took my card went inside the booth and were able to swipe it. I had to pay 4€ to go 10 km out of my way.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:07 PM   #23
Ebeo1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Visited another friend in Aachen over in Germany while going over I stopped in on Brussles and tried to find the little statue of the boy peeing in a fountian but couldn't. While visiting and in the area I saw Cologne where the big cathedral is and cruised over to the Vaalserberg where the Netherlands Belgium and Germany all meet. I will add the 2€ to walk to the top of the cathedral's tower is not worth it it's a long walk and the view is not that good. I was told the remains of the three wise men are in the catherdral in Cologne.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:14 PM   #24
Ebeo1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Visited another friend in Aachen over in Germany while going over I stopped in on Brussles and tried to find the little statue of the boy peeing in a fountian but couldn't. While visiting and in the area I saw Cologne where the big cathedral is and cruised over to the Vaalserberg where the Netherlands Belgium and Germany all meet. I will add the 2€ to walk to the top of the cathedral's tower is not worth it it's a long walk and the view is not that good. I was told the remains of the three wise men are in the catherdral in Cologne.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:16 PM   #25
Ebeo1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

There was a lot of construction outside my friends apartment in Germany but I was on the Transalp and I could just make parking anywhere I wanted.

This next picture is of my friends favorite breakfest it's raw ground pork on bread with onions.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:18 AM   #26
Ebeo1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

brakes

Leaving Aachen I stopped at a motorcycle supply store my friend had showed me. I picked up a tank bag and cheap GPS. I have been going through data too quickly on my phone and at this rate its cheaper to buy a GPS than keep paying for the map data.

I asked the people there about a good shop I wanted my front brakes looked at. I had noticed my gas milage had gone down and one of the two front rotors would be hot after driving. I stopped in at the shop and they were way backed up. It would take three weeks before they could fit me in. They looked it over and one of the front brakes is not retracting.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:51 AM   #27
Ebeo1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Traveled to Amsterdam tried to use the side roads and avoid the highway but all the rads would run along the highway and I could not find a good route. Toured Amsterdam and noticed there are a ton of bicycles everywhere bicycles.

Returned to France the next day I had added some oil to the bike while in Germany but I was concerned about how black it was. I decided it would be best to have the oil changed while coming into Paris. My gps I had picked up took me to a motor sports store and for 56 euro.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:50 PM   #28
Ebeo1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

this picture sums up Amsterdam pretty well. One thing I noticed about Amsterdam was the bicycles there were bicycles everywhere!

http://i.imgur.com/xPokJY2.jpg
Old 07-17-2013, 01:55 PM   #29
Ebeo1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Old 07-17-2013, 02:00 PM   #30
Ebeo1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

here are the bicycles lots and lots of bicycles they even get there own bicycle lanes.