Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2013, 12:52 PM   #91
cantthinkof1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Retirement seems to be treating you well.

Roads and the terrain seem a bit more interesting than COMO!

What all did you carry in the duffle?

-Patrick
cantthinkof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:35 AM   #92
Ebeo1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
I carried my:
sleeping bag
tent
bottle of whiskey
spare inner tube
cloths
pillow
rain gear

In a back pack I carried

water
snacks
sandals
oil
toilet paper
Ebeo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:43 AM   #93
Ebeo1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Catastrophe

Catastrophe struck when I was in Belgium. I had skipped going to Luxemburg City to save time because I had told my friend I would be in Paris at 1800.

On the way I wasn't using the high way and I was out in the country when my rear tire went flat. I was about 30km west of Bastonge

Old 08-10-2013, 11:52 AM   #94
Ebeo1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I went to a houses closes to where my tire had gone flat and couldn't convince the women to let me use her phone or to get any help at all. Shes also couldn't speak English so we were limited to talking in French and I can say my french improved dramatically in a very short period of time. I ended up walking to another house further away where I received a much warmer welcome. The man there use to race motorcycles and had tools in a garage. He had a tire changing station but the problem with the tire was a bad rim.

The rim was cracked and split allowing one of the spokes to go through and puncher the tube. While we messed witht he tire on the tier changer the guy had his wife call all the shops in the area.

My plan which wasn't very good was to cut the spoke that had pushed through the rim off and put a new tube i was carrying in. It was after 3 pm on Saturday afternoon and the chances that we were going to get a new rim were looking very slim.

Luckily there was a salvage yard about an hour away and some one had just wrecked a transalp. The man then drove me an hour to this guys place convinced him to stay open longer to swap the wheel then drove me an hour back. I ended up losing the new rubber tire I had put on in Croatia and down graded to a more used tire but I was in no position to negotiate. The swap cost me 125 Euro so all in all I think I made out like bandit.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:53 AM   #95
Ebeo1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Old 08-10-2013, 11:53 AM   #96
Ebeo1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Old 08-10-2013, 11:56 AM   #97
Ebeo1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

This mans kid liked to go into he woods around their house with a medal detector and look for stuff from wwII he had a accumulated a large collection of things.

Old 08-10-2013, 12:03 PM   #98
Ebeo1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Don't worry we got my bike fixed and I had to make some haste goodbyes and hit the road. I felt bad the family was so hospitable they tried to get me to stay the night and look at battle fields the next day but I had a ferry to catch out of Cherbourg to head back home. I really owe a big thanks for them to help me out.

Old 08-10-2013, 12:13 PM   #99
Ebeo1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

To make things more exciting I needed to jump start my bike while in Germany one very cool morning. It was obvious my battery was going dead, while in Paris I planned for this. At my friends apartment I parked in such a way the bike could get popped started or jumped again if needed while in his parking garage. The ferry on the other hand would be a problem, I considered getting a new battery but I was so close I didn't want to spend the money. I thought if I could make it to the Cherbourg ferry they would be able to jump start me the next morning so that's what I did.

Here I am on the ferry making friends with some Spanish and french motorcyclist on their way to Ireland. The spanish didnt know very good english but knew good french so I got some practice in on my french. I also talked to a mom and daughter who were visiting their sister/daughter in Ireland so I gave some tips to where I had been and was a good destination.

Old 08-10-2013, 12:19 PM   #100
Ebeo1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

In the morning the weather looked terrible it was raining and misting, I was not looking forward to a 2-3 hour drive in that condition when in Ireland. The sky did clear up by he time the ferry was ready to unload and I had a rather pleasant drive to motofeirme

The last picture is me enjoying my mostly successful 7112 mile journey. I also get the proud achievement of being the first to drive motofeirme to motosapiens and back again.

Old 08-10-2013, 12:40 PM   #101
1Man2Wheels
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Congrats on a great ride. The buy at Motofeirme, ride to/store at Motosapiens model looks like a very viable option for budget Europe touring. Thanks for posting!
1Man2Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:25 AM   #102
Ebeo1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

yes wheatwacker does provide a good service I would recommend him if you plan on traveling to Ireland.

I made it home I'm calling this motorcycle ride done.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:29 AM   #103
Ebeo1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

on the plane
STL airport
university of Missouri

Old 08-14-2013, 03:06 PM   #104
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,895
His bike is available here for sale for the next rider.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:29 PM   #105
StickJan
Mobilis in mobil

Oddometer: 22
Hi there Ebenezer! Found you! Its the swedish dude at the Moto Camp and Translpina here. Hope all is great. Good fun to meet up. Got home a week ago myself. Good trip this year. Hope to see you again some day. All the best and Eva says Hi!!

//Jan