User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2014, 04:53 PM   #1
Trail Boss OP
World's fastest slowrider

Oddometer: 699
JT Rides Again

My friend JT is an intrepid explorer, spending many hours studying Google Earth and various maps looking for new rides and journeys. Most recently he has been examining satellite photos searching for a way to ride to the mouth of Santa Elena Canyon in Big Bend National Park from the Mexico side of the canyon.

This is Santa Elena Canyon on the west side of Big Bend National Park. The Rio Grande river forms the dividing line between Texas and Mexico and enters Big Bend National Park here at Santa Elena Canyon. Texas is on the right in the picture and Mexico is on the left.

After the Rio Grande exits the canyon it makes a 90 degree turn and flows south parallel to the imposing cliff line seen in the next two pictures.

After studying the photos closely JT was sure he had located a whisper of a track that would allow us to ride to the Mexican side of Santa Elena. Now all that remained was for us to actually go do it. On Friday, Dec 26th he and I headed into Mexico to see if it could actually be done.

Texas Adventure

Trail Boss screwed with this post 12-31-2014 at 06:37 PM
Trail Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 05:45 PM   #2
Trail Boss OP

JT Rides Again

Starting from my Uncle's place in Terlingua, we trailered my XR650L and JT's KLX400 to Presidio. After a quick breakfast we suited up in a few extra layers to deal with the 40 degree weather and then rode south to the international bridge into Ojinaga, Mexico. After verifying that our motorcycles actually belonged to us, the Mexican officials waived us into the country.

60 highway miles later we arrived in the town of Manuel Benavides and the start of the dirt. JT had the tentative route mapped out on his GPS so we followed that as best as we could. As we rode east the road steadily deteriorated - obviously there aren't a lot of people going this way.

The views behind us got steadily better as we climbed.

The road eventually dead-ended deep in the mountains at a small, rugged house. My Spanish is not good but I managed to ask the man who lived there about getting to Santa Elena. As best as I could tell he said the road ended here and we would have to try another route. Hmmm, now what do we do?

As we backtracked, JT spotted another road veering off to the north and was certain this was the goat track he had seen on Google Earth. So off we went.

After going through two wire gates we encountered a Vaquero making his rounds on his horse, checking on his cattle. As before, I tried to ask him about getting to Santa Elena and he indicated it wasn't possible on this road. But he did indicate there were some great views ahead and gave us permission to ride on. I wished I had taken his picture.

We lost the trail a few miles later at a dry creek bed. We could see the trail up on a hill across the creek but couldn't find where it crossed the creek. Eventually we rode down the gravel creek bed until we spotted where the trail climbed up and out.

Once out of the creek the road deteriorated into a moderate class 2, two-track. It was fun riding and then, suddenly, we reached the peak. The transition from no view to incredible view took place in the space of about 30 meters. Wow, what a view!

We were a bit more than 1.5 miles south of the entrance to Santa Elena Canyon. You can see the river exiting the canyon and turning south in this photo.

The weather was great, the sun was out, so we parked the bikes and enjoyed the views for about an hour.

Looking south

The Chisos Mountains in Big Bend National Park. The highest point is Emory Peak at about 7800 feet asl.

JT enjoying the view

This has to be the best view of Big Bend National Park I've ever seen. It was simply spectacular.

Texas Adventure
Old 12-31-2014, 06:06 PM   #3
Trail Boss OP

JT Rides Again

Eventually it was time to start the trek back to Presidio. Backtracking was easy and things were going well until JT's rear tire went flat. We couldn't see anything sticking out of the tire so our guess was that a small thorn was the problem. JT had Slime in the tire and elected to just air it up and see if it would hold until we made it back to the truck. Sure enough, it did.

Once back in Manuel Benavides we hunted down a gas station for a bit of petrol.

5 liters of gasoline each did the trick.

A few local kids playing on their new bicycles were very interested in the two gringo motorcyclists.

JT needed lunch. I asked the gas man and he directed us to the La Casona restaurant.

After a good hamburguesa and fries, we had an uneventful pavement ride back to Presidio.

As those of us who know him are well aware, JT has been known to lead fellow riders into the most God-forsaken of places. This wasn't one of those times. In fact, this has to be the finest discover of 2014. Well played, JT, well played!

Texas Adventure

Trail Boss screwed with this post 12-31-2014 at 06:16 PM
Old 12-31-2014, 06:17 PM   #4
sophijo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Big Bend!

Great ride! Thanks!
Dave
sophijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 07:26 AM   #5
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,565
Very, very, nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 07:56 AM   #6
Mudclod
Mojo Moto

Oddometer: 1,498
Outstanding! What fun that must have been. Great images!

Down Texas Way
Mudclod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 03:22 PM   #7
MiaMoore
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Amazing!
MiaMoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:45 PM   #8
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,557
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 07:08 AM   #9
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,565
JT Rides Again

This will never be me. Ain't gonna happen. I am peeing on myself just thinking about it. But I do like the view. Hope it is almost as nice several feet back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 09:56 AM   #10
10ecjed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Mexico

Wow. Great little outing. That's what it's all about. How many great views can you see in one lifetime. I am impressed with this view.
Old 01-04-2015, 08:43 AM   #11
Bad Hair Day
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Sweet ride thanks for sharing.
Bad Hair Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 09:36 AM   #12
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 13,018
Beautiful!

The road to Hell is paved...