Toubab

Oddometer: 863
That's very cool Dorito!
Todd34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:26 PM   #243
Todd34 OP
Toubab

It smells exactly as you would imagine Lance. Burning trash, manure, an occasional sewer. Then you ride by a bakery and smell fresh French bread. But then you pass out of the cone of French bread goodness and it's back to open sewers and burning trash.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:56 PM   #244
Scotty P
Funny like a Moran

Oddometer: 11,454
Are you sure you're not in Subic Bay

Paddled the Olongapo river and a got a Phisohex bath when I was done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondoggle View Post
But things were getting tense, and I know nothing defuses a tough situation faster than boobies.
Scotty P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:36 PM   #245
Todd34 OP
Toubab

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott P View Post
Are you sure you're not in Subic Bay

Paddled the Olongapo river and a got a Phisohex bath when I was done.
Yeah, that's what you got in Subic!
Old 11-12-2013, 03:38 PM   #246
Todd34 OP
Toubab

Rumor has it that somebody bought a KTM 640 today.....
And then there were four.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:50 PM   #247
Braindmp
NOB!

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd34 View Post
Rumor has it that somebody bought a KTM 640 today.....
And then there were four.
Nice!
Braindmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:06 PM   #248
Scotty P
Funny like a Moran

Oddometer: 11,454
Holy Shit...............you guys are now a gang!! What's the secret hand shake?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondoggle View Post
But things were getting tense, and I know nothing defuses a tough situation faster than boobies.
Scotty P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:36 PM   #249
Braindmp
NOB!

Veteran’s Day Ride

Not only did Air Force take the lead in Dakar’s First Annual Veteran’s Day Ride, but Air Force was the only service represented. Apparently the Navy had sand in their va-jay-jay or a hangnail (I’m not sure what their problem was) and the Army was still claiming they needed to find a “battery;” whatever…everyone has an excuse.

The plan and route was simple; ride south from Dakar, stop and jump on a zip-line and swing among the baobabs, grab lunch, liqueur tasting (the GF was taster/navigator/pillion), then reverse route back to Dakar.

“The best laid plans of mice and men often go astray…” It started out as near perfect riding weather. The 600lb Gorilla was reading an outside temperature of 86 degrees when we left Dakar. As we rode further away from Dakar’s coastal breeze, we noticed the temperature steadily rising. 25 minutes into the trip, the temperature was already pushing 105 degrees… “Hot, damn, Hot, Africa Hot, Crockpot cooking Hot.”

We were glad to take the turn-off for the Accro Baobab Adventure Park; we are now ready for a cold refreshment before zip-lining off a baobab tree. “2 kilometers,” the sign said… Definitely, the road less traveled, with potholes large enough to swallow the bike with just enough sand to keep things interesting. I was glad it was over 100 degrees, cause I was already sweating bullets. Dumping the Gorilla with the GF ridding pillion was not an option (but at least I would have someone there to help pick the beast up). After a few tense moments, we get to the gate of the Accro Baobab park…which happened to be locked. Closed for the day, WTF!? New plan - - something wet and cold now. My “give a shit” factor was pretty low on the backtrack out of the “unimproved road,” so we ripped right through the sand and potholes (note to self: “self, let the pillion know if you expect one or two wheels to leave terra firma").

Back on the black top, we drove through a town on the way to the restaurant – stop and go traffic. Regina whipped out her camera and started clicking away.

Watermelons in November! They make great jack-o-lanterns during Halloween.

FBI has a large foot print in Senegal.

Furniture store

And I’m thinking I need a BBQ for the patio.

We finally made it to the restaurant and downed 3 liters of water before ordering a beef steak with pepper sauce and chicken yassa.

The damn cat was looking for a free lunch.

Now that we were rehydrated with full bellies, it was time for liqueur tasting at Liqueur de Warang. They produce fruit liqueurs, interesting - - if you are into that - - and apparently Regina is. She bought 3 bottles for the trip back to Dakar.

Nice ride back home – if you like riding in 104 degree weather – but on a lighter note, it was only 84 by the time we rolled back into Dakar.

Happy Veteran’s Day Beatches!

Old 11-13-2013, 06:02 PM   #250
JaxObsessed
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 11,128
Sweet! Brain.
Now 4 of you, aye?
Excellent!
Originally Posted by LadyDraco View Post
Dang ..That thing is huge!!! Jax
JaxObsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 01:50 PM   #251
Todd34 OP
Toubab

Great update Larry. Keep it coming.

Air Force wasn't the only one representing today. Navy decided to come along as well. I'll say one thing about Larry, he's not afraid to take that Gorilla out to see what it will do. Since I haven't been a point man for about a decade, my route selection is sometimes lacking. We finally decided that any time we get into some questionable stuff, I should do a little recon on the 690 before we commit with the B-52 bomber. Of course, we didn't figure that out until after this..........

The internet is way slow tonight so tomorrow I'll post the route, video and pics. We had a bird strike, some cattle herding and even baboons!
Old 11-14-2013, 02:31 PM   #252
Braindmp
NOB!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd34 View Post
...he's not afraid to take that Gorilla out to see what it will do.
Nah, I'm just afraid of picking it up or digging it out by myself.

Great ride today!
Old 11-14-2013, 03:33 PM   #253
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 3,983
so not only does Goodwill send my old t-shirts to Africa but also my old couches!

Old 11-15-2013, 09:43 AM   #254
Todd34 OP
Toubab

I'll bet the set on the right with the groovy pattern was all yours Erik.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:32 PM   #255
Braindmp
NOB!

Well, Thursday was Tamkharit (Muslim celebration for the New Year) which means the office was closed. There is no better way to spend a holiday than out in the bush looking for the perfect trail. The weather was nice; between 84-86 degrees (it could have been cooler but no complaints).

Fresh out of the blocks we see what appears to be a cement factory. The first thing that comes out of Todd’s mouth is “kind of looks like Thunderdome.” My reply was, “we had better stop and take a picture, because we probably wont make it back this way.” (Note: the Kodak moment did not do the scene justice.)

Thunderdome - “Two men enter, one man leaves.” We didn’t go in.

We finally get to “our turn off” or was it “a turn off?” Then hit the hard packed dirt. I immediately hear Todd mumble something.

I returned with “the what?”

Todd again mumbled something and said “the flowers, they are called [insert more mumbling].”

“Oh, that’s nice… Can we go now?”

Todd, “Let’s take a picture?”

“Seriously!?”

Todd, “Yea, my mother would love it.” Well, you cannot argue about a gift for Mom. Consider taking the helmet off next time so Mom can see your ugly mug. Click, click, click…

Todd and his [mumbling] flowers.

And after a peaceful moment with nature, “Get Some!” I’m sure the Senegalese man and the children enjoyed the extra helping of dust with their morning.

Where did the road go? No seriously, where did the fucking road go?

Glad we got that out of my system.

So, I digress…before we went on this ride, Todd spent hours on google earth trying to find the “perfect trail,” down loaded waypoints into the GPS so we can attempt to “find” these roads/trails in the middle of nowhere. Unfortunately, there was a large industrial park/factory/area in-between where we were at and where we wanted to go.

To make things worse, neither of us speaks French. The “guards” of this plant were friendly, but we couldn’t explain our goal of “riding on those hills just over there.” At one point, I could have sworn I heard Todd say “…vroom, vroom, hill, moto…” while pointing to the horizon. We eventually, got the bikes pointed in the right direction and were making good time on a dirt road. Then the road turned into a game trail….and then someone thought it might be a good idea to take another look at the map.

I was perfectly fine with this game trail. I like riding on nice flat, hard packed surfaces with minimal obstacles. Personally, I don’t care where we go as long as someone is there to help out when I park the Gorilla in a washout, a in small ravine, or even an apparently dry pond. But anyway, Todd had a plan and we were bound and determined to a way to “those hills over there.”

About the time the “game trail” ended we were at the base of the hills. I parked the Gorilla while Todd went scouting for a way up the hill. I didn’t mind taking a break; it was getting pretty rocky, with no good lines to follow. About 5 minutes later, Todd returned and we decided there was no “easy” way to get up to the top of the hills. I expressed my gratitude; as nobody really enjoys picking up the Gorilla (especially, after a “we should have known better”).

We stopped at the baobab tree and took a little break.

Nature was calling....

I think he just stepped in a puddle.

I’m beginning to wonder, is there anything else in Senegal besides baobab trees and cows?

Bikes, Baobab, and Cow asses...