User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2013, 01:47 AM   #1
Storm Shadow OP
Thread Ninja

Oddometer: 1,498
VFR exhaust leak cause to stall and not run

i just did a major service of my 2011 vfr800, oil, filter, brake fluid, clutch fluid, headlight fluid, radiator coolant. had the fairign resprayed, i put it all back together, and the bike was running perfectly.

i went to start it last night, and it was running very ruff, low idle, sounded like a exhaust leak, i have sandy decat headers, and stain tune exhaust, it sounds like the the rear headers are leaking.

when i give it a rev, it will rev, and then just stall. and wont start, just turns over, after 5 minutes it starts. again.

im going to replace all the exhaust gaskets, headers, down pipe, and rear tubes and pack it all up with exhaust manifold gasket as well as the other gaskets.

i disconnected the power commander auto tune, thinking that air in the exhaust sent it crazy, and reflashed a standard map into the power commander.

but does a leaking exhaust cause this sorta behavior
Storm Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:50 AM   #2
Storm Shadow OP
Thread Ninja

maybe the idles just too low for it
Old 07-04-2013, 06:15 AM   #3
Storm Shadow OP
Thread Ninja

spannering on the bike today, removed the exhaust, both front extractors were loose, the back left was so loose i doubt it had any sealing as i could wiggle it around. the connectors the back right seal was skewiff oval looking so probably why it wasnt sealing. inside the exhaust, was extreemly unburnt fuely, so i think its deffinetly well and truly over fueled, that auto tune is coming off, you suck autotune.

im kinda wondering if my plugs may be slightly fowled, i deffinetly think it needs a good run.

now to put the seals all back in, i reput the both rear down pipes back in with new copper gaskets greased up with manifold sealant. will do the same from the fronts.

i now remember their is no seal between the extractors and staintunes, its a precision fit, where as the stock has a gasket i think. will be lubing up with high temp silicone though.

i have on order new seals as well, for spares.. since i remember stuffing my pair up when putting them in last time... im hoping the time and heat from the exhaust has made it a bit more into the right shape, as i remember how hard it was to put the buggers on the first time... sorta gota squeeze it out.

i might pull this marble out since im taking the auto tune off, i dont think the bike was running very good with the auto tune what so ever. marble in, or marble out since i ran it with no marble for ages, until my um, last ride, i put the marble in...
Old 07-04-2013, 11:43 AM   #4
cardoctor1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 522
wrong headlight fluid would be me guess
IBA#35592
RIDE EVERY RIDE LIKE ITS YOUR LAST
00 R1150GS
cardoctor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:56 AM   #5
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
What the hell is a marble?
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:11 PM   #6
FixxiT
Lunitic Fringe

Oddometer: 953
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
What the hell is a marble?
Marble mod on the PAIR valve. Disables secondary air injection into the exhaust stream. A trick thats supposed to cure exhaust popping on deceleration.. Simply stuff a marble in it..still looks stock.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:25 PM   #7
Storm Shadow OP
Thread Ninja

It was the last ride wobdering if ive had some explosions in the exhaust it wss a lot od freesy fuel

The fingers have used to dial are to fat, To obtain a special dialing wand please mash the key pad with your palm now.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:56 PM   #8
Storm Shadow OP
Thread Ninja

incase anybody was wondering, the rear headers separated from the block, its stripped the exhaust studs out of the block too.

so i have to get a helicoil, bike hasnt even done 10,000km yet..
Old 07-10-2013, 09:52 AM   #9
FatherX
demisocial

Oddometer: 4,394
much suck

GOOD LUCK!!
Old 07-10-2013, 12:41 PM   #10
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,186
Mother of God, what language do I use to translate this to English, from?

Babel Fish and Google Translate are giving me nothing

j/k OP "extractors" "skewiff" "marble" "wobdering with od freesy fuel" are just kicking my ass for the funny, sorry...
L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:11 PM   #11
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,315
So, are we to assume that the PC caused the poor seal of your aftermarket exhaust? Maybe get everything installed and sealed properly before changing other things?

Just a thought...
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:16 PM   #12
hpsVFR
Hoosier Daddy

Oddometer: 1,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Shadow View Post
incase anybody was wondering, the rear headers separated from the block, its stripped the exhaust studs out of the block too.

bummer.

May as well go over the maintenance list for items that are easy to do while it's torn down all the way, even if 10k km is early. You may not do any additional maintenance, but if there's something easy to check while it's all apart, and you forget about it until you get it all back together, you'll be kicking yourself later.

You'll get it taken care of, and be on your way soon enough, though, and enjoying that bike.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:59 PM   #13
strongbad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 480
Quote:
i just did a major service of my 2011 vfr800, oil, filter, brake fluid, clutch fluid, headlight fluid, radiator coolant. had the fairign resprayed, i put it all back together, and the bike was running perfectly...
If you think this much work is "major service" wait till it comes time to adjust the valves.
strongbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:17 PM   #14
Storm Shadow OP
Thread Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongbad View Post
If you think this much work is "major service" wait till it comes time to adjust the valves.
yep, not looking forward to the valves but they arnt due until 24000. have to get some vtec block off thingies for that...

but im going to pay somebody to do the whole lot, fix the bike, and get it fixed and working again
Old 07-11-2013, 03:26 PM   #15
DFH
270 deg crank

Oddometer: 262
Quote:

Was going to say that the stripped studs would be a warrantee claim on a 2011 VFR, then I noticed you have had aftermarket headers fitted. Time to kick down the door of the the guy who recommended & butchered your bike fitting those pointless headers.