User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2015, 12:21 PM   #1
rdcyclist OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,251
GSAW Aeroflow Screen Retrofit

Many of you are dissatisfied with the stock and current offerings available for windscreens on your LC GS's. For me, with LD riding and the IBR in particular being the prime directive for my GSAW, a Popemobile screen is a requirement for comfort and safety. OK, the safety thing is probably BS but it sure sounds good, although when you've spent eleven straight days averaging 20 hours of riding each day, comfort translates to safety. Yeah, I'm an idiot...

I've run an Aeroflow full screen system on all of my GS's for the last eight plus years with over 250k miles of wind. Literally, the only bikes I've ridden with more weather protection are GoldWings, LT's and ST1300's. My FJR with any screen available at the time didn't come close. Obviously none of those bikes can do all the different types of riding a GS is capable of.

So I've got both bikes parked in the garage with the GSAW on the lift and the '10GSA parked next to it with the AF screen removed. In a flash of brilliance (although what got us to this point might be less than brilliant) I see the similarities in the two bike's front ends dimensionally. I think I can make the old screen work! I think I can ... I think I can ... I think I can ...

For the last week and a half, I've interated the design until finally I had a working structure and rode it into work this morning. I'll be riding it down to SoCal and a meeting with Aeroflow tomorrow. Hopefully this will be something they can work with to make screens for those of us in these dire straits...

I'll post up some pics later (can't do it right now) along with a ride report and more info.

Film at eleven...
rdcyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 12:47 PM   #2
picard
engage!

Oddometer: 1,309
Careful the beak hardware on the new bikes is Mg. I think that's why Aeroflow is dragging their feet coming up with a fairing.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:35 PM   #3
Rick_W
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Waiting patiently!
Rick_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 04:56 PM   #4
bobbybob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 773
^^Same here^^
Old 02-27-2015, 04:27 AM   #5
Charleetho
Mr. Zoom Zoom

Oddometer: 2,055
Miss my aeroflow from my 05.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Old 03-09-2015, 08:48 PM   #6
rdcyclist OP
Beastly Adventurer

I've got the Aeroflow off my Camhead modified and mounted to my GSAW. Took several iterations and I've probably got one or two more. Right now I'm running in a fixed postion without the adjustable mechanism in place. I am going to attempt to make that work but it was important for me to verify I would have something better than the stock screen for The Show in July.

I rode it a bit over a thousand miles and am satisfied with the performance of the screen. It generates a very nice air pocket with very little buffeting and if I hunker down a bit behind the screen it's very quiet.

I was hoping for rain on the trip but somehow I managed to completely avoid every single frickin' cell on the trip. There was big rain down south; I just missed it all. So the full weather report is going to have to wait.

I think it looks better on this bike than it did on the Hex/Camhead bikes. The lower integrates nicely into the air intake nostrils and the width of the tank makes it seem to fit better.

Here's the pitchers:

Most of the brackets are made of ABS and will need to be ultimately machined from a more structural material. Delrin is what I used on the bracket system on my Hex/Camheads and I anticipate that's what I'll use for much of the parts for this. The lower side brackets will need to be Aluminum because they're going to do double duty as light mounts. I'll make some plastic ones first to work out the fit and shape.

Film at eleven...
Old 03-09-2015, 09:24 PM   #7
hammick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,048
Could have bought a Puig for $125 and had no buffeting at all.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:48 PM   #8
rdcyclist OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammick View Post
Could have bought a Puig for $125 and had no buffeting at all.
I know you think you know what you're talking about but you really don't. The Puig is a fine screen for a buck and a quarter; a huge improvement over the stock screen. But it's not even in the same ball park as the Aeroflow screen with regards to overall weather protection. Sometime when we meet up at some event, I'll let you take The Pig for a ride and you'll see what I mean.

Addendum: Sorry if I seem harsh there but really the two screens aren't in the same class. Saying a Puig will do the same job as the Aeroflow for less money and/or work is like saying, "Dude, you coulda just bought the Super Tennis Shoe and saved six large." Yeah, they're both motorcycles but we know that no matter how much more the GS costs you're not going to make the ST equal to the GS by spending the savings on mods.

Same thing with the screens. I need the screen to do a certain thing: Maximize protection in all weather. The Aeroflow will do that. There isn't another screen available at any price that will give me the hole in the environment I require for my particular form of riding. Its not for everybody for sure, but it is for me.

rdcyclist screwed with this post 03-10-2015 at 06:05 PM