Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2014, 06:35 AM   #1
CurtB OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
CyclePump not compatible with WC ADV bike

Folks,
I needed a pump and decided to pony up for what some describe as the best pump on the market. Bought the ADV version from BestRest Products, the primary distributor for the pump.

there are two challenges with the CyclePump to be considered:

1. BMW tire valves are shaped differently than the air chuck requires, this includes the new one. The valves on the ADV WC bike have less thread on the valve which prevents the chuck from sealing properly. This is true with the stock air chuck as well as the 90 degree valve stem clip on and screw on. I know this sounds crazy but it's true. There aren't enough threads for the screw on adapter to seal.

2. The cycle pump pulls too many amps to be used with the CANbus system. The pump runs for about a second and then the power to the BMW power outlet. To use it, you have to connect through an SAE connector or the alligator clips.

The really disappointing part of this purchase is that I called BestRest products directly and ordered over the phone. The gentleman I spoke with assured me that the new chuck would work with the BMW ADV bike and he made no mention of the CANbus issue.

CurtB screwed with this post 08-27-2014 at 06:18 PM
CurtB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:23 AM   #2
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,953
It seems strange that BMW would put non standard valve stems on the new bikes. I would find someone else with a WC bike to try it on. As far as the CANBUS issue, most folks know those plugs are for low voltage items like plugging in a battery tender or using a BMW heated vest (maybe). They shut off with bigger electronic items. That should be mentioned in your owners manual. I snipped the wires on mine (camhead) and have it connected by fuse to a Fuzeblok so I can plug in my Warm n Safe jacket. My Slime pump has always been plugged into an SAE plug that's connected directly to the battery.
IBA #50489
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:53 AM   #3
gsapilot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
90 deg. valve stem works fine for me.
gsapilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:58 AM   #4
JetSpeed
Naviator

Oddometer: 3,479
Real strange that there is an issue with the CyclePump chuck not fitting the new style metal TPM Shrade valves, I know that getting the chuck to fit good and tight has been a real nuisance with several models of pumps but with some patience and a little coercion it usually works out.

I think that even though the CylcePump comes with the Hella/DIN/BMW plug it is not claimed to work with the CanBUS, many GS owners have a plug wired directly to the battery that is used to power devices like this.

Have you tried contacting BestRest Products to see if they have a solution for the valve/chuck?

JetSpeed screwed with this post 08-23-2014 at 09:18 AM
JetSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:45 AM   #5
CurtB OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
Real strange that there is an issue with the CyclePump chuck not fitting the new style metal TPM Shrade valves, I know that getting the chuck to fit good and tight has been a real nuisance with several models of pumps but with some patience and a little coercion it usually works out.

I think that even though the CylcePump comes with the Hell/DIN/BMW plug it is not claimed to work with the CanBUS, many GS owners have a plug wired directly to the battery that is used to power devices like this.

Have you tried contacting BestRest Products to see if they have a solution for the valve/chuck?
As I indicated in my post, I bought the pump from them directly on the phone and talked about my bike and the historical airchuck issues. They sent me the new style airchuck. It doesn't work. The 90 degree screw on doesn't work at all and clip on adapters doesn't work well. Everything works fine on my truck just not on the BMW adv valve stem.

Regarding the CANbus issue, they ought to be knowledgeable enough to tell you and it also should be clearly stated on the website. It is in the instruction sheet in the lower right hand corner.

Anyway, I think it's useful information for BMW Adv owners. What I'm saying is accurate based on my personal experience.

CurtB screwed with this post 08-23-2014 at 09:56 AM
Old 08-23-2014, 09:23 AM   #6
JetSpeed
Naviator

Oddometer: 3,479
Nobody claimed that what you said was not accurate.

Have you contacted the seller/manufacturer for some assistance to resolve this?
Or are you satisfied enough with posting your displeasure?
Old 08-23-2014, 09:49 AM   #7
WindSailor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 744
I've had some issues with the stock chuck - I've found the best solution for me is to fabricate an extension with a pressure gauge and relieve valve on it that fits both units - the pump and a CO2 setup.

The Euro chuck has to be fully compressed on the stem for that chuck to work.

Sent from my Samsung Note 3
WindSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:31 AM   #8
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,787
If the Bestrest pump doesn't work, why do you think that the Stich one will work? Sounds like the problem is with the bike. Put a proper fusebox in to get around the Canbus issues. They will haunt you forever, otherwise.

+1 on calling Bestrest. David is a BMW guy, he'll sort you out.

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:24 AM   #9
BMWRich
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,659
"Pitail" off the battery either SAE or round style.
Of course with an inline fuse too......
Run air pumps,heated jackets.....battery tenders...etc..
Non CanBus effected......
Powerlet,Gerbings,Battery Tender and Warm n Safe all sell these and they're not but a few bucks.
Set it n forget it!!!!!
Been doing it this way since my 92 GS...never a problem.
Google battery tender pigtail image....pictures of C-tek and the like....you'll get the idea.
Old 08-23-2014, 01:23 PM   #10
WindSailor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRich View Post
"Pitail" off the battery...

Of course with an inline fuse too......
I'm going to take a leap of faith here and say that probably 95%+ people here do just that.

Everyone that I know run extraneous electrical equipment directly from the battery through a 'fused' setup - whatever they choose to their liking.

Sad to say - but the only thing I run off of the stock plug is a trigger wire...

Sent from my Samsung Note 3
WindSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 03:09 PM   #11
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,451
Including the people who don't have CANBUS issues.

Every single 1150 I know well has either a fuse block or an SAE plug right off the battery.

I think the OP might be a bit embarrassed about missing that.

I got nothin on the valve stems. Have them swapped next tire change.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 03:35 PM   #12
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,484
Question OK...I Missed That?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlug View Post
Including the people who don't have CANBUS issues.

Every single 1150 I know well has either a fuse block or an SAE plug right off the battery.

I think the OP might be a bit embarrassed about missing that.

I got nothin on the valve stems. Have them swapped next tire change.
I believe the OP doesn't have an 1150 but a water cooled GSA 1200...or I could have missed that.

Flip Side: At least my BMW manual is very clear that the so-called accessory plug/outlet will only support a 5amp draw and above that the CanBus will shut it down..only OEM fuses on my GSA are for the "fog lamps"..CanBus systems switch off and on without use of fuses. Plus a little research on this forum will produce tons of information about why the outlet is so lame and limited.

As for the 95%..most folks I know just use the clips to hook the pump directly to the battery terminals when needed..I feel that for the years that I never need the convenience of a pig-tail or fuse box hooking directly to the battery terminals is quick and easy without extra wiring and clutter.

How often do we really use a compressor like the CyclePump? I have a shop compressor and carry the CyclePump for flats on the road or if, and I have yet to do it even though I ride almost exclusively off road, I air down and need to pump the pressure back up..

For my two-cents the CyclePump is a superior product and I am certain the OP will sort out his/her woes....cuz it ain't rocket science

Phil
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 04:05 PM   #13
nitsuj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
I'm not sure about the tire valve issue. But I get what you're saying about the CanBus problem. You'd think they'd tell you. Like put it in the instructions or something. And why wouldn't BMW mention it in the manual?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nitsuj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 05:55 PM   #14
CurtB OP
Adventurer

Already wired an SAE connector to the battery. Going to fix the other problem with new tire valves. It's just too bad the stock air chuck doesn't work and neither do the screw on or slip on 90 degree adapters.

BestRest should put the information regarding the tire valve issue and CANbus compatibility on the website in plain view. Hence creating the thread. The cycle pump is not easily usable on the new WC Adv bikes. That's valuable information.

I'm planning to keep the pump, it seems to be high quality.

The 1050 comments are humorous. Never heard of a WC 1050 Adv. Schlug might be embarrassed about missing that in the OP.

Equally humorous is the suggestion to use the alligator clips. Ever pulled the battery on a new WC Adv? Based on the comment that 95% of people use the clips directly to the battery, I'd say not.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:10 PM   #15
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,484
Willing To Learn..

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtB View Post
Already wired an SAE connector to the battery. Going to fix the other problem with new tire valves. It's just too bad the stock air chuck doesn't work and neither do the screw on or slip on 90 degree adapters.

BestRest should put the information regarding the tire valve issue and CANbus compatibility on the website in plain view. Hence creating the thread. The cycle pump is not easily usable on the new WC Adv bikes. That's valuable information.

I'm planning to keep the pump, it seems to be high quality.

The 1050 comments are humorous. Never heard of a WC 1050 Adv. Schlug might be embarrassed about missing that in the OP.

Equally humorous is the suggestion to use the alligator clips. Ever pulled the battery on a new WC Adv? Based on the comment that 95% of people use the clips directly to the battery, I'd say not.
OK one more stab at this and I may be misunderstanding the issues you are having with the CyclePump...

#1 There is nothing about the CANbus system that makes it incompatible with the CyclePump or conversely there is nothing about the CyclePump that makes it incompatible with the BMW CANbus system...at least on my '07 GSA...In my BMW Riders Manual it describes the "Onboard Socket" can only support a max of 5amp output to an accessory device you plug into it or you can use it to charge the battery IF you use the correct BMW charger. In short most devises require more than 5amps and the Socket will not support them, including the CyclePump. The problem is the Socket not the pump and this has been discussed on this forum many times.

#2 He erroneously referred to your bike as an "1150"; I also have never heard of an "1050" GS/GSA.

#3 The 95% estimate was made in a post that stated most folks wire in a fused connector directly to the battery to run accessory items such as a pump. I referred to the common practice of using the CyclePump alligator clips to connect directly to the battery "+" and "-" terminals for power thereby circumventing the CANbus system, giving full battery power to the pump and not necessitating additional permanent wiring connections to the battery. On my GSA the battery is under the seat and fully exposed in about 15 secs ; it sounds from what you state that the water cooled GSAs have a battery that is difficult to access. "Pulling the battery" is not needed, only exposing the terminals.

In short form; this is not a difficult matter to resolve.

As for the tire valves not working with the stock CyclePump inflators; never heard of that problem before. Something new I guess.

But as always I could be wrong.

Phil
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote