Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2014, 07:34 PM   #1561
smitty141
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmw View Post
Has anyone installed an accessory fuse box yet. If so where? Also where did you tap into for the relay.

I have used a couple of different fuse boxes in the past but there really doesn't seem to be an obvious place to put one on this bike other than under the seat. Any thoughts?
That is the same thought I am having. I have used BlueSea in the past, but I don't think there is enough room. I am going to have to do some well thought out planning to get a power panel mounted in a water resistant area. And... easy access to install/use it.

Smitty
1999 Yamaha YZ250
smitty141 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:43 PM   #1562
Sindarin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by raider View Post
Talk me out of it.
I went from a F800GS to a '13 R1200GSW. I would never go back.

Hope this helps.
Sindarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:45 PM   #1563
rmw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
raider, If you mean talk you out of waiting until Friday, hey, go get it now don't wait that long
rmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:48 PM   #1564
raider
Big red dog

Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:
raider, If you mean talk you out of waiting until Friday, hey, go get it now don't wait that long
I need two nights in the garage to strip the farkles off my 800! They're worth more to eBay than they are to the dealer
Old 02-03-2014, 07:49 PM   #1565
Silverfin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Tenere vs 2014 GSA

Quote:
Has anyone installed an accessory fuse box yet. If so where? Also where did you tap into for the relay.

I have used a couple of different fuse boxes in the past but there really doesn't seem to be an obvious place to put one on this bike other than under the seat. Any thoughts?
Hi Ron...from your signature you are in the unique situation of having owned both of my finalist bike choices for an epic 2 up ride to S America. Can you give us a quick comparison of the 2014 GSA vs the Yamaha Tenere for 2 up long range touring. I can afford either bike but still have concerns about reliability on the GSA. My brain says get the Yamaha but my heart says the BMW...Any thoughts yet?

Carl
Bikeless in Afghanistan
Silverfin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:56 PM   #1566
asphaltsurfer1
CatManDoo

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
My local dealer has a cancelled order sitting on the floor. White, every possible accessory except panniers. He also offered me a jaw-droopingly good trade-in on my F800 so my monthly payment will go up so little, I doubt the wife will notice.

I paid a refundable holding deposit until Friday.

Talk me out of it.
The wife will notice the smile that you can't wipe off your face!
asphaltsurfer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:21 PM   #1567
RH426
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:

Cycle Nutz has this one on there web site , I sounds pretty good but priced at $199.95 , Here is the link : (they also have some under $100 bucks)

http://www.cyclenutz.com/Rowe-Electr...ule_p_963.html
Old 02-03-2014, 08:27 PM   #1568
rmw
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfin View Post
Hi Ron...from your signature you are in the unique situation of having owned both of my finalist bike choices for an epic 2 up ride to S America. Can you give us a quick comparison of the 2014 GSA vs the Yamaha Tenere for 2 up long range touring. I can afford either bike but still have concerns about reliability on the GSA. My brain says get the Yamaha but my heart says the BMW...Any thoughts yet?

Carl
Bikeless in Afghanistan
A better comparison might be the 2014 ST if they end up sending it over here. It has electronic cruise, suspension etc.

As to the 2013 ST it is a great bike. Having just come off of the 2012 GSA I was very surprised by how good the Yamaha really is. I got it at an incredible end of year price and just could not resist it. My Son will use it to ride with the old man when he can. We had an 07 KLR for him previously so he is stoked.

To your question, you cannot go wrong either way. I have farkled the ST out pretty good and it is still under $20K. Ride is excellent, very off road capable, pretty much bullet proof by all accounts and my wife says it is great from her very experienced pillion perspective. I just yelled to her and asked "2012 GSA or the ST" She went with the GSA. She hasn't been on the 2014 yet.

I don't think the ST comes close to the handling or performance of the 2014 GSA but its not that far off the previous GSA. As to reliability, my 09 was bought on a Thursday, broken in that night, serviced the next day then immediately ridden to Alaska and back (over 8Kmiles) with one burnt out headlight as the only mechanical problem. 2012 also reliable.

If the price difference is workable I think the GSA would be the choice. If you'd rather use the difference elsewhere I think the ST will make you happy as well, it is a blast to ride.

Some more pics here if you want to see the build.

http://wilks13.smugmug.com/Other/Sup...0423&k=3BsNNxP

BTW, don't get hung up on the whole "you cannot disable the ABS" non-sense. Yes the ABS is outstanding and true there is no practical ABS disable from the factory and you may never need to shut it off because it is really that good. However, no real dirt rider is ever gonna want ABS on all the time IMHO. It is a very simple matter to remove the ABS fuse and wire in a fused on off switch. Totally a non issue. The mod can be found on several ST sights and will cost you $25 at most.

Best of luck on your choice.

rmw screwed with this post 02-03-2014 at 09:32 PM
Old 02-03-2014, 08:58 PM   #1569
rmw
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH426 View Post
Cycle Nutz has this one on there web site , I sounds pretty good but priced at $199.95 , Here is the link : (they also have some under $100 bucks)

http://www.cyclenutz.com/Rowe-Electr...ule_p_963.html
That is an interesting option. Small enough to maybe Velcro into the tail compartment and looks pretty weather resistant. Thanks for the link I will check it out some more and keep looking for a good mounting place.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:33 PM   #1570
Aviatordoc
BMW K12S rider

Oddometer: 353
I have the Fuzeblock in my K12S and have had zero issues. It has a relay built in and has switched and direct leads to it.

http://www.fuzeblocks.com/
2007 BMW K1200S
Aviatordoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 01:37 AM   #1571
pauleknight
Need Cool Name Here

Oddometer: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty141 View Post
That is the same thought I am having. I have used BlueSea in the past, but I don't think there is enough room. I am going to have to do some well thought out planning to get a power panel mounted in a water resistant area. And... easy access to install/use it.

Smitty
I have a fuse block that I was going to put under the drivers seat but there was not enough room. (I have the seat in the low position.)

It looks like there is barely enough room for a pack of bubble gum or pack of cigarettes.

BEFORE you go an purchase something put a block of wood about the same size where you anticipate putting the fuse block and see if it fits.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:26 AM   #1572
lockwood111
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Question New R1200GSA WC

Smitty,

How hard is it to remove the top tank panel, is it one piece with the small compartment?
I scratched my top tank panel and need to replace it, does it appear simple to remove and replace the compartment lid? Any advice would be appreciated.
cheers, John
lockwood111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 03:34 AM   #1573
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,536
New R1200GSA WC

Quote:

There isn't much room under there. Here's where I put mine:

A little velcro holds it in place. The gray wire is the trigger.

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
mikegc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:01 AM   #1574
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 937
Quote:
My local dealer has a cancelled order sitting on the floor. White, every possible accessory except panniers. He also offered me a jaw-droopingly good trade-in on my F800 so my monthly payment will go up so little, I doubt the wife will notice.

I paid a refundable holding deposit until Friday.

Talk me out of it.
I prefer the blue one...

Yes, still a rookie
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:22 AM   #1575
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,536
New R1200GSA WC

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockwood111 View Post
Smitty,

How hard is it to remove the top tank panel, is it one piece with the small compartment?
I scratched my top tank panel and need to replace it, does it appear simple to remove and replace the compartment lid? Any advice would be appreciated.
cheers, John
Yes, Smitty, it's a one piece deal and secured by six screws: 2 near the seat adjustment, 2 in front near the forks and 2 in the little compartment. There are a couple of tabs near the little wind wings so slide the top panel back. Sorry for the lousy cell phone photo.

I hope this helps.

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
mikegc is offline   Reply With Quote