Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2014, 04:41 PM   #1771
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickup man View Post
The LED headlight can always be retrofitted on the bike if you really want it later on. Thats the only thing my new GSAW doesnt have either.
I thought for for over $1000?
IBA #50489
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:56 PM   #1772
jgarcia
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
300 mile ride,68 deg. no complaints here...;)

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
jgarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 05:03 PM   #1773
Slippy Chips
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
^^^ that white is nice! Can't wait to see one in person.
IBA #56918
Slippy Chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 05:16 PM   #1774
pauleknight
Need Cool Name Here

Oddometer: 318
Metzler Karoo 3 tire price comparison

On the BMWLT.com site we used to have a running price comparison on tires.

Mine came with the stock road tires and I want to try the Karoo 3

Here is what I came up with
Front 120/70R-19
Dennis Kirk $153.28 + 5 shippping
Revzilla $158.36 free shipping
Sw Moto $240.00
motorcycle-superstore $183.00
Bike Bandit $158.00

Rear 170/60 R 17
Dennis Kirk $193.98 + 5 shippping
Revzilla $198.36 free shipping
Sw Moto $300.00
motorcycle-superstore $228.00
Bike Bandit $198.00

Virtually same price from Dennis Kirk and Revzilla...

Anyone see any better pricing?

Am I missing anything here?

Does this look like a good idea?

Lastly where should this be posted?
Old 02-09-2014, 05:53 PM   #1775
bikeworm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
Shake down ride ESA temporary failure?

Finally got time to put some miles on GSAW today. All was good until I topped off the tank and the general warning light came on. Very cool how you can run some diagnostics via the Garimin but I could not find the fault while under way. After about 15 miles I noticed I had NO suspension. The bike had bottomed- out! Also I noticed in the lower right hand corner of the insterment screen "ESA" appeared. I stopped and reviewed the owners manul to no avail.
Knowing I had no suspension and dash warnings saying the same, I put the bike on the center stand to see if there was a visual problem. Nope! But getting the bike up and allowing the suspension to unweight resolved the fault. The suspension came back, and I had full control of the ESA button.
My day ended doing an additional 250 miles with no issues.
It will be interesting to see what the dealer has to say about this at the first service!
Cheers
Old 02-09-2014, 05:54 PM   #1776
STisma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Check out these guys.... no shipping cost.... under $350 for a set.
http://www.americanmototire.com/cata...h=200_248_1065
Old 02-09-2014, 06:08 PM   #1777
igs
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickup man View Post
The LED headlight can always be retrofitted on the bike if you really want it later on. Thats the only thing my new GSAW doesnt have either.
Thanks for your comment. I really don't care about the LED headlights. The standard headlights should be good. Just like other bikes. I'm planning to install a pair of Clear Water Krista for better visibility on my early morning rides heading up north. Lots of deers on hwy 507 ;-)

Cheers
igs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:24 PM   #1778
pauleknight
Need Cool Name Here

Oddometer: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by STisma View Post
Check out these guys.... no shipping cost.... under $350 for a set.
http://www.americanmototire.com/cata...h=200_248_1065
I will add them to the list.

Thanks
Old 02-09-2014, 07:20 PM   #1779
txrider2
Hug the road

Oddometer: 162
So for those, that like me, ride mainly without the passenger seat, taking of the rear seat on a '14 leaves a gap... So BMW made a cover plate that permanently attaches to 4 bolts that also hold the pannier racks. On the oil-head I liked taking off the rear seat and just plugging it in when I wanted to - on the '14 it's a different concept; the cover plate is installed permanently but has a latch that gives access to a storage compartment for small things like a bike manual and a GPS. It pops open with the key that you normally use to take off the rear seat.

Protection for the expensive LED headlamp, this is the Touratech headlight guard. The BMW headlight guard looked funky, a big triangle from the beak up. The Touratech one does the job:

What you see here is the BMW Adventure enlarged skid plate... Just like the oil-head, the stock plate on the '14 is tiny and I have bottomed the oil-head occasionally on endure rides - thankfully I had an enlarged skid plate installed. I consider the larger skid plate a necessity if you take the bike off-road. It's hardly visible from the side/top view, but this is how it looks installed:

I wasn't going to leave the dealer without proper endure tires - TKC80s Front (120/70R19) and Rear (170/60R17). Don't forget to take off the splash guard, they break easily off-road:

I had bar risers on my oil-head and after just a few road miles I already knew I needed a pair on this bike too. With risers while standing up you get better ergonomics for your arms. Rox seems to do the trick:

Got the GPS Prep package? The Nav 5 is really cool and the thumbwheel operation on the handle bar is just fantastic! I'm still exploring with it, but it's really cool.

This by now "famous" un-lockable storage compartment on top of the gas tank can hold the garage opener, it's a nice spot for it!

So the bike is right here at home. I have the BMW Panniers (all 3) on order because I got them for a slight discount as part of the deal; the brackets are already on the bike; the exhaust side has a cutout; and the keys will be locked to the ignition. I know there are a few alternatives out there - and anodized black would look really good (less visible on the road though) - but it would come at a higher price point and not be keyed to the ignition. I went with BMW Panniers again. Will post pics when I have them mounted.

As for riding it, well I took it home - 20 miles. I came from an oil-head, 35k miles total (I had 2 different Adv) and took it on BDR's, logging roads, even some single tracks (I'm not saying that was intentional - LOL). The '14 feels a lot lighter as soon as you sit down. It's powerful. It seats differently, it's an adjustment that I can tell more about after a bit more seat time. The oil-head had excellent wind protection, the wind protection and noise on the '14 is more present. I played with the one hand screen height adjustment a little bit (nice!) and couldn't get it to an equal or as comfortable setting as the oil-head provided. I'm thinking about adding a wind deflector once they become available.

Other items I am considering before taking her off pavent:
- Valve guards - the crash bars will catch a drop, but the heads are exposed (no covers)
- Radiator guards
- Side stand foot enlarger (it's positioned more forward, but has a tiny foot print)
- Fog light protectors
- Enduro hand guards

Here is the '09 oil-head, the '14 is a leap forward in just about every way:

txrider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:41 PM   #1780
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by igs View Post
Thanks for your comment. I really don't care about the LED headlights. The standard headlights should be good. Just like other bikes. I'm planning to install a pair of Clear Water Krista for better visibility on my early morning rides heading up north. Lots of deers on hwy 507 ;-)

Cheers
I don't have the LED on my '13 GSW. I really wanted it, but after getting the bike, I found the headlight was quite a bit better than the oil cooled ones. Add some aux. lights like most do and it's a non issue.

Further, with the '13s, I realized the package to get the LED was about $1200 and included the TPMS. I didn't care about TPMS so would be paying that money for the LED only. In the end, it's more or less a wash to buy the LED at purchase or to buy it later if you really want it.

In other words, if you want the bike they have in stock and the headlight is the only thing holding you back, then buy it without worry and ride the damn thing.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:50 PM   #1781
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by txrider2 View Post
So for those, that like me, ride mainly without the passenger seat, taking of the rear seat on a '14 leaves a gap... So BMW made a cover plate that permanently attaches to 4 bolts that also hold the pannier racks. On the oil-head I liked taking off the rear seat and just plugging it in when I wanted to - on the '14 it's a different concept; the cover plate is installed permanently but has a latch that gives access to a storage compartment for small things like a bike manual and a GPS. It pops open with the key that you normally use to take off the rear seat.

Protection for the expensive LED headlamp, this is the Touratech headlight guard. The BMW headlight guard looked funky, a big triangle from the beak up. The Touratech one does the job:

~ SNIP ~
We set up (and ride) our GSA's in a very similar fashion. I also remove the "possum catcher" before it falls off on some Jeep trail. I'm going with a bigger skid plate (BDCW's or AltRider's) to protect the Cat. Also ordered the pillion kit thingy (no one wants to ride my pillion anyway) and liked seeing your pix. Mine's still at the shop waiting on parts.

One thing: we do some LED R&D stuff at work and these light units produce an incredible amount of heat. The BMW lights are known for this and you can see it in the air flow design of the beak and louvres. It's for this reason I went with the big BMW triangle-shaped guard as it's designed to protect without impeding air flow to the unit. No other plex guard I've seen will do this for you. You can trim off the lower piece of the TT guard blocking the louvres and it might work OK. Something to keep an eye on for sure.

I'm betting you don't get 2000 miles off that rear TKC80. I never do. Prolly gonna run a TKC80 front and SAS MC60 rear. They sure look beastie on your bike, though.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:07 PM   #1782
bonox
Tryin Hard

Oddometer: 2,938
so - 2 days of ownership, 700km and one puncture.

Still, while i'm fixing it I can always enjoy watching this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrWA9vrxhyE
Old 02-10-2014, 02:34 AM   #1783
asphaltsurfer1
CatManDoo

Oddometer: 121
seat plate

txrder2- glad you posted info on the rear plate. I have one ordered to pick up this week. I also removed pillion on my GS as the wife hasn't ridden since picking me up from a hospital after a crash in TX hill country

Disappointing that it doesn't attach and detach like the pillion seat though just in case I got lucky once. BMW didn't give a lot of description on the part.
asphaltsurfer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:44 AM   #1784
asphaltsurfer1
CatManDoo

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeworm View Post
Finally got time to put some miles on GSAW today. All was good until I topped off the tank and the general warning light came on. ... After about 15 miles I noticed I had NO suspension. The bike had bottomed- out! ...
It will be interesting to see what the dealer has to say about this at the first service!
Cheers
A bit alarming to think the default (in the event of electric failure) is bottomed out suspension. Failure during a trip sounds like it might end the ride or result in playing Peter Fonda.
asphaltsurfer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 03:11 AM   #1785
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 3,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by igs View Post

Cheers
To each his own of course, but bear in mind that one of the iconic things that define the "wet" version IS the LED light.
Also note that it WILL affect resale price (ok many people don't actually care about what will happen when and if they sell their bike) and resale in general (people will always prefer the one with the LED first).

Of course, it is your purse.
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote