Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim View Post
Hi,

anyone have a similar issue?

Cold start never works on first crank, starts only on the second attempt,

Warm start is instant!

Some kind of computer firmware issue?

Thanks, Joachim

Only time I've got to ride its been in the 30's - on first crank did you let the computer finish it's self check prior to start? Also I turn off the Aux lights prior to first start. It started right up every time.
aerobatika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 05:26 PM   #2267
toowoomba
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonox View Post
Yep, and when wet it flicks water at you like a kid in a frat house

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
At what speeds?
Mine shimmies and shakes at idle and then does the floppy at anything above 50 or so... There's a link for a brace on here somewhere that one of the inmates suggested... I'm getting used to the flop and the buffeting, plus I used a different alloy besides lead in my throttle hand today and got 49.8 MPG's over a 74 mile trippy doodle... Tomorrow I'm gonna get 30!
Old 03-03-2014, 05:42 PM   #2268
funinthesun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessmuch View Post
I don't like the stock seat. its too...something. I liked the one on the last version of the GSA but this one doesn't fit me right (i'm 6'5")

I know the Russel seats are comfy for long days on the road sitting...but i find them not at all acceptable for any kind of stand up riding. The wings hit my legs and don't allow me to move the bike around. is this true of all of them? For my GSA i ordered a custom Rick Mayer seat that has a level front and rear seat allowing me to shift all the way back. I don't have it yet so ill post when i get it.
I find the wings on the russell to be great for me off road. I weigh 180lbs and aside from moving up on the tank a bit there is really no point of me moving around on the gsa with luggage as i ride it. the shift of my bodyweight seems to do nothing for the 600lb bike off road. I just let the wings lock me in and use the bars
my legs hit the wings just behind my knees still allowing for me to shift my weight back and side to side without moving my boots on the pegs. This has worked out great for me. keeps my toes where they should be and allows me to think i'm helping with my slight body movement like i'm on a small bike.
I do have to slide off the saddle for low speed technical stuff like the gs challenge corse but the russell does not seem to prevent me from lifting my foot off one peg and leaning as much as posable, if anything I've gotten used to the wings and they allow another hook for my boot as i step off the peg. I'm sure this is not the norm though as most all gs riders i meet find it hard to ride my bike even the tall ones as i also ride with my seat in high position and lowered pegs. I'm 5'8" and have a 29-30" inseam. I think the bike setup for a tall rider with my short legs makes it work for me. I'm forced to stay on the pegs as dabbing a foot is not an option most of the time(as Shane Watts put it "short guys have better balance by necessity") depending on your foot to knee ratio you may be able to get the wings in the same place by modding the bike like this. but i would assume tall guys will not be able to though and the wings would be too low to be comfy and hook. but i think you could get used to it.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:42 PM   #2269
Gravel Rash
Lookin for adventure

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim View Post
Hi,

anyone have a similar issue?

Cold start never works on first crank, starts only on the second attempt,

Warm start is instant!

Some kind of computer firmware issue?

Thanks, Joachim
I've had a similar problem on two occasions.
1st time I was heading off to the dealer for my 1st service.
Tried to start 1/2 dozen times after computer self check had finished.
Engine was turning over fine with plenty of cranking power but engine didn't want to fire. Not even a splutter.
Went inside to phone the dealer and tried again after 20mins and it fired up 1st time.
Service guy said he'd never heard of this happening before but would check it out. When I picked the bike up he told me he found nothing wrong with no faults on the computer.
2nd time wasn't as bad but took several attempts.
On both occasions temp was around 32C (90F).
Have also noticed some popping and spluttering when downshifting and backing off the throttle. Is this normal, anyone else notice this.
Otherwise power and throttle response is fine.
Was going to go back to the dealer and take the demo for a ride to compare.
Gravel Rash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:27 PM   #2270
Joachim
Joachim

Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobatika View Post
Only time I've got to ride its been in the 30's - on first crank did you let the computer finish it's self check prior to start? Also I turn off the Aux lights prior to first start. It started right up every time.
Yes -always let the start up check sequence run through. This behavior is every time! Otherwise it's brilliant.
Joachim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:29 PM   #2271
Joachim
Joachim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Rash View Post
1st time I was heading off to the dealer for my 1st service.
Tried to start 1/2 dozen times after computer self check had finished.
Engine was turning over fine with plenty of cranking power but engine didn't want to fire. Not even a splutter.
Went inside to phone the dealer and tried again after 20mins and it fired up 1st time.
Service guy said he'd never heard of this happening before but would check it out. When I picked the bike up he told me he found nothing wrong with no faults on the computer.
2nd time wasn't as bad but took several attempts.
On both occasions temp was around 32C (90F).
Have also noticed some popping and spluttering when downshifting and backing off the throttle. Is this normal, anyone else notice this.
Otherwise power and throttle response is fine.
Was going to go back to the dealer and take the demo for a ride to compare.
That sounds different to my issue. Mine will always catch on the second attempt instantly. I'm hoping for a software update maybe?
Old 03-03-2014, 11:35 PM   #2272
Joachim
Joachim

Watch out for side stand enlargers and radiator protectors.

The side stand foot is a different shape to the GS watercooled.
The wunderlich extreme radiator guard does not fully fit the same mounting brackets as the GS LC, even though the website claims it does.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:36 PM   #2273
cxwing
space duck

Oddometer: 220
Awesome pics, cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegc View Post
The Jesse bags are, in my opinion, much stronger (in case of an unscheduled/undesired get off), hold more, are powder coated inside (no aluminum dust) and have no riveted seams or plastic.
So did you have to remove the BMW mounts and install Jesse-specific mounts?
Can you please post a picture of the bike without the Jesses?
cxwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:25 AM   #2274
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by toowoomba View Post

Mine shimmies and shakes at idle and then does the floppy at anything above 50 or so... There's a link for a brace on here somewhere that one of the inmates suggested... I'm getting used to the flop and the buffeting, plus I used a different alloy besides lead in my throttle hand today and got 49.8 MPG's over a 74 mile trippy doodle... Tomorrow I'm gonna get 30!
I'm intrigued when you say "floppy" over 50mph. Do you mean that it shakes slightly? If so, they all do that, including the regular GS. Do you have the screen on its highest position?
Old 03-04-2014, 03:32 AM   #2275
vikingolly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Water Boxer in CANBERRA!?

Quote:

that looks like a shot in Canberra Australia - travel all around the world and find a post within a kilometre of my home...

"There are NO coincidences." (102 year old lady in a church in Scotland)

BMW R1200 GSA 2007 and 2014 GSW (USA), HD Ultra CVO 2013, in Australia
vikingolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:18 AM   #2276
toowoomba
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingolly View Post
that looks like a shot in Canberra Australia - travel all around the world and find a post within a kilometre of my home...
Tonto National Forest near the Rio Verde in Arizona, U.S.A. There is a golf course south of Phoenix that looks like it belongs in Kings Park, Perth. There is a lot about this area that reminds me of OZ... Maybe that's why I'm still here
Old 03-04-2014, 10:26 AM   #2277
gr8grins
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Lean?

For those of you who have the new GSAW and have/had a cam head, do you notice the similar lean running characteristics, particularly at low throttle angles, that the cam head has? (Like surging and snatchy throttle at, and just off, idle.)
Thanks!
gr8grins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:30 AM   #2278
toowoomba
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
I'm intrigued when you say "floppy" over 50mph. Do you mean that it shakes slightly? If so, they all do that, including the regular GS. Do you have the screen on its highest position?
I mean floppy... I lower the screen completely when I plan on going over 50 mph. There is a cotter pin /cotter washer, left side when seated - not sure what the proper terminology is - that to me has way too much play. There were a couple other issues when I picked up my bike from the dealer, nothing major, but warrants me taking off the windscreen and double checking everything.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:48 AM   #2279
toowoomba
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Rash View Post
Have also noticed some popping and spluttering when downshifting and backing off the throttle. Is this normal, anyone else notice this. Otherwise power and throttle response is fine. Was going to go back to the dealer and take the demo for a ride to compare.
I also have had the spluttering and popping, sometimes like a little miniature backfire. Not often, but enough too notice. I also asked the service tech and was told that they run lean and it's nothing to worry about. I've heard this 3 times now. Loose rear shock-nothing to worry about. Spluttering-nothing to worry about. Noisy Clutch grinding when in Neutral-nothing to worry about. It's normal to have three eyes and 6 toes.Trust me! I did fill my tank last time with SHELL gasoline and felt the engine ran a little smoother. Anybody noticed different engine performance from different gasoline products? May be I am crazy. I'm gonna go see a certified BMW therapist
Old 03-04-2014, 11:01 AM   #2280
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,711
Quote:
I also have had the spluttering and popping, sometimes like a little miniature backfire. Not often, but enough too notice. I also asked the service tech and was told that they run lean and it's nothing to worry about. I've heard this 3 times now. Loose rear shock-nothing to worry about. Spluttering-nothing to worry about. Noisy Clutch grinding when in Neutral-nothing to worry about. It's normal to have three eyes and 6 toes.Trust me! I did fill my tank last time with SHELL gasoline and felt the engine ran a little smoother. Anybody noticed different engine performance from different gasoline products? May be I am crazy. I'm gonna go see a certified BMW therapist
If you're a first time bmw owner, you'll soon find out "they all do that" is the standard answer when they don't know or don't want to look into your problem/issues with the bike.

My buddy's GSA had engine problems and the dealer told him it was caused by Shell gasoline IMO, these bikes are designed to ride around the world. First world gasoline should not effect their performance. I do find I get better gas mileage on my camhead with Chevron super unleaded, but I don't even bother getting super anymore and get just the same performance out of regular unleaded.
IBA #50489
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote