Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2014, 10:50 AM   #2281
Beecher Snipes
Fool

Oddometer: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8grins View Post
For those of you who have the new GSAW and have/had a cam head, do you notice the similar lean running characteristics, particularly at low throttle angles, that the cam head has? (Like surging and snatchy throttle at, and just off, idle.)
Thanks!
Fueling for the water cooled series (mine is 2014) is excellent. No lean spots. I did have a 2010 camhead in the past. The thing you will find different is there is a very fast throttle action now. No slack cable spot in the beginning. So it seems jumpy but it really is just throttle on right now type of thing. No surging anywhere. Thing runs like a champ.
Beecher Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:00 PM   #2282
toowoomba
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikertrash View Post
If you're a first time bmw owner, you'll soon find out "they all do that" is the standard answer when they don't know or don't want to look into your problem/issues with the bike.
They sure are friendly when they say it though They have it down to a science. "They all do that..."

Quote:
My buddy's GSA had engine problems and the dealer told him it was caused by Shell gasoline IMO, these bikes are designed to ride around the world. First world gasoline should not effect their performance. I do find I get better gas mileage on my camhead with Chevron super unleaded, but I don't even bother getting super anymore and get just the same performance out of regular unleaded.
I'm gonna locate a Chevron and see if I notice any difference - of the number of voices in my head that is...
Old 03-04-2014, 03:09 PM   #2283
raider
Big red dog

Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikertrash View Post
My buddy's GSA had engine problems and the dealer told him it was caused by Shell gasoline IMO, these bikes are designed to ride around the world. First world gasoline should not effect their performance. I do find I get better gas mileage on my camhead with Chevron super unleaded, but I don't even bother getting super anymore and get just the same performance out of regular unleaded.
Unfortunately, in the United States, and anywhere else with a corn lobby, what you're getting is far from "first world gasoline" unless you're particular about where you buy.

Shell Australia sell a fuel (actually I think they have withdrawn it now) called Optimax which was meant to be a high-octane, high-performance fuel. They put in detergents to clean your injectors, catalysing chemicals to reduce tailpipe NOx emissions, corrosion inhibitors to stop your tank rusting, mould inhibitors and stabilisers to allow the fuel to sit for a season... in the end, it was more crap than fuel, and lots of highly-tuned engines ran like shit using it. For a while Shell put signs on their pumps saying it was not recommended for motorcycle or marine use.

Some Australian states have mandatory ethanol content, which is not inherently a problem at 10% except that most service station owners just pump the stuff into the tanks their regular unleaded used to live in, which do not have the anti-condensation measures that the hygroscopic ethanol blends need, so there's water dissolved in the fuel...

You're better off buying it in a glass bottle from Vietnam, where it's been freshly stolen from a military base or Chinese pipeline
Old 03-04-2014, 10:51 PM   #2284
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,706
Get avgas at your local GA airport. Put it on your AeroShell card. Or ride México on Pemex gas. No ethanol there, either. Or quit voting for @$%tards that promote such nonsense.

Oops. Sorry about that. Third glass of red did it........

BTW, my "old" 2012 GSA always ran fine on regular gas but only when it had to. I expect the same from the new bike.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:18 AM   #2285
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 851
Avgas (F-44) is to corrosive to put in a motorcycle, otherwise it would be nice. When fueling a plane with between 20000 and 40000L they would never notice 20L going missing.

Yes, still a rookie
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:12 AM   #2286
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by IB1 View Post
Avgas (F-44) is to corrosive to put in a motorcycle, otherwise it would be nice.
F44 (more commonly known as JP5) is jet turbine fuel and is mostly kerosene. No piston-engine motorcycle would run on it, at least not for very long.

Chasing higher octane, some folks have used avgas in a motorcycle (e.g., 100LL or F18), but it typically has a prohibitively high lead content and is illegal in most locales. I'm not aware of any unusual corrosion issues with avgas.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:34 AM   #2287
Bails
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
F44 (more commonly known as JP5) is jet turbine fuel and is mostly kerosene. No piston-engine motorcycle would run on it, at least not for very long.

Chasing higher octane, some folks have used avgas in a motorcycle (e.g., 100LL or F18), but it typically has a prohibitively high lead content and is illegal in most locales. I'm not aware of any unusual corrosion issues with avgas.

- Mark
If it has lead in it you can kiss your cat good bye
Old 03-05-2014, 04:56 AM   #2288
FixxiT
Lunitic Fringe

Oddometer: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bails View Post
If it has lead in it you can kiss your cat good bye

FixxiT screwed with this post 03-05-2014 at 05:05 AM
FixxiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:13 PM   #2289
asphaltsurfer1
CatManDoo

Oddometer: 121
Agree that a bike that is designed for the use these are intended should not be picky about type of fuel. Some earlier models had anti knock retarding of timing when sensing less optimal gas. I don't think the new models have that feature.

I just got a recall notice that my 08 GS needs refitted for tank seal and then my 07 Aquatrax has a similar recall now. Corn in the gas is a bad idea for anyone other than Nebraska farmers! More energy and resources wasted than gained even for the most environmentally inclined. At least our GSAs have alloy tanks which is a big step in the right direction. I was puzzled when in 07 Triumph changed their tanks from plastic to steel but replicated the exact deminsions and look of my 06 plastic tank. Then I realized it all had to do with corn.

Drink it don't burn it!
asphaltsurfer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:14 PM   #2290
asphaltsurfer1
CatManDoo

Oddometer: 121
asphaltsurfer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:30 PM   #2291
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by asphaltsurfer1 View Post
Agree that a bike that is designed for the use these are intended should not be picky about type of fuel. Some earlier models had anti knock retarding of timing when sensing less optimal gas. I don't think the new models have that feature.
I know for a fact that the 04-12 R1200 series have antiknock sensors, and am almost positive the new Wetheads also have them.
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:50 PM   #2292
pistole
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
I know for a fact that the 04-12 R1200 series have antiknock sensors, and am almost positive the new Wetheads also have them.
they can detect knock nowadays without an anti-knock sensor. The electronics have developed such that they can calculate/detect knock from the sparkplug's voltage/resistance as its fired.

pretty slick.

pistole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:36 PM   #2293
Sindarin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
The water boxer does not have knock sensors due to improved intake porting and electronic throttles they were deemed unnecessary. The K1600 engine does not have knock sensors either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistole View Post
they can detect knock nowadays without an anti-knock sensor. The electronics have developed such that they can calculate/detect knock from the sparkplug's voltage/resistance as its fired.

pretty slick.

Ionic current knock sensing. It requires special spark plugs and ignition coils. Only two BMW engines I am aware of use ionic current knock sensing and they are car engines. S85 (E60 M5) and S65 (E9x M3).
Sindarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:07 PM   #2294
GS-A-Day
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
[QUOTE=Sindarin;23624600]The water boxer does not have knock sensors due to improved intake porting and electronic throttles they were deemed unnecessary. The K1600 engine does not have knock sensors either.

Does that mean it can run on regular gasoline without knock sensors?
GS-A-Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:10 PM   #2295
raider
Big red dog

Oddometer: 1,582
I've posted in Parallel Universe about this, but current thinking on engine technology is that in any case, knocking or detonation is nowhere near as damaging to engines as previously thought. You'd have to run it with continuous knocking for hours to see any damage, if you ever did - maybe you'd unseat the spark plugs.

The pictures of molten rings, charred valves and all manner of hellfire are usually the result of pre-ignition, which you're not going to get just by using low-octane fuel.