ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-21-2014, 04:04 PM   #2371
marchyman
Cam Killer
 
marchyman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: SF Bay Area
Oddometer: 7,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonox View Post
another one with a missing hose...
FYI: I finally looked at the paperwork given to me after some warranty work about 8 months ago (repaired torn boot between swing arm and final drive). At that time they listed the official reason for no hose... something I'd asked about during my 600 mile service. The work order states:
Bike does not come with a radiator overfill tube. (Overfill tube discontinued from production 5/13, as not necessary).
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 04:29 PM   #2372
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 49,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by bemiiten View Post
Poor execution using 7(!) fasteners including a oddball. where with a little engineering, one could have been made to work.
Then everyone would be bitching because the mounting tabs that hold it on would break off.

The center front one does double duty to the mounting framework.
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:07 PM   #2373
bonox
Tryin Hard
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: sydney
Oddometer: 2,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
FYI: I finally looked at the paperwork given to me after some warranty work about 8 months ago (repaired torn boot between swing arm and final drive). At that time they listed the official reason for no hose... something I'd asked about during my 600 mile service. The work order states:
Bike does not come with a radiator overfill tube. (Overfill tube discontinued from production 5/13, as not necessary).
Thankss. Anyidea if it empties itself after a little Lie down?
__________________
He immediately paid me the one of the highest compliments an Advrider can receive: "You're nuts!" (Alcan Rider)
bonox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:10 PM   #2374
marchyman
Cam Killer
 
marchyman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: SF Bay Area
Oddometer: 7,059
That I haven't tested, yet. I must be taking extra effort to keep upright on the new bike. Usually the bike takes a nap a few times a year.

I expect that you may get a few drops if you fall to the left side. Not much.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:50 PM   #2375
rmw
Adventurer
 
rmw's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Orange County CA
Oddometer: 96
RE the below brackets, I have the CAD drawings and can have more made. A couple of folks asked me about having a set made. If there is interest I can see what the min order would be and what the costs would be. Seems like they ought to work for most any of the after market lights but I am not sure. I am not looking for a business opportunity nor a profit but I will try to facilitate getting these available if there is an interest.

Ron

__________________
Ron
2013 Super Tenere
2014 GSAW Black

rmw screwed with this post 04-21-2014 at 08:55 PM
rmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:33 PM   #2376
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man
 
SchizzMan's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Austin, Tx.
Oddometer: 7,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmw View Post
I had the brackets made based on a Baja Designs bracket that they sell with their GSW light kit. Their bracket does not work with the Clearwater lights on the GSA however so I had a machine shop design and build these.

For the PDM 60 I tapped the tail light as the trigger. I also added a set of Hyper Lites so there are a few more do-dads in the picture related to the Hyper Lites.
I'm in for a set. Putting the same lights on mine. Will go for the
small LED blinkers in place of OEM, however.
__________________
'14 R1200GSA "Der WasserNoggin", '14 KTM 350 XCF-W (plated), '14 S1000RR-HP4

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:10 AM   #2377
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 49,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmw View Post
RE the below brackets, I have the CAD drawings and can have more made. A couple of folks asked me about having a set made. If there is interest I can see what the min order would be and what the costs would be. Seems like they ought to work for most any of the after market lights but I am not sure. I am not looking for a business opportunity nor a profit but I will try to facilitate getting these available if there is an interest.

Ron

They look plenty sturdy enough. I wonder if the frame on the front of the bike is strong enough long term. That spot seems designed for light weight turn signals. I know the part they are bolted to is metal, but it all depends on the design. Just thinking out loud, not criticizing.
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:39 PM   #2378
STisma
Gnarly Adventurer
 
STisma's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Oddometer: 141
Tight fit in a 6x12ft trailer.....

__________________
If it can go wrong, it will go wrong!!!
STisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:10 PM   #2379
Hoop71
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Hoop71's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver
Oddometer: 108
Moving to a R1200GSA WC

Hopefully tomorrow my R1200R will be going to a new owner and I will start my shopping for a new R1200GSA.

Have a demo ride on the 10th of May as BMW Canada is making the rounds to the dealerships.

Not sure on the colour yet but I'm thinking the White or Green. I don't mind the blue but I don't like the blue seat.

Been scouring these threads for the last week....getting excited.

Pics of my R1200R which is most likely going to a new home tomorrow to make room for my future R1200GSA





Hoop71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:30 AM   #2380
birdie_xx
Studly Adventurer
 
birdie_xx's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Chicago,IL
Oddometer: 781
Sweet !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by STisma View Post
Tight fit in a 6x12ft trailer.....

birdie_xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:31 AM   #2381
abrasive
Gnarly Adventurer
 
abrasive's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: UT
Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by STisma View Post
Tight fit in a 6x12ft trailer.....

The breeding pen? Nice!
__________________
IBA 38832
abrasive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:31 AM   #2382
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer
 
DRTBYK's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: North Central Washington (state)
Oddometer: 5,106
The way it should have been finished....

__________________
Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 02:02 PM   #2383
toowoomba
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2014
Oddometer: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
The way it should have been finished....

It looks good what you have done, but I find the hole punching, swiss cheese making ends of all the tubes elegant, modern and kind of like a "we do want we want" attitude, which I find refreshing. I'm sure they had their reasons for leaving the tubes plug less and exposed, I have no idea why, but I wanted to stick up for the unplugged flesh piercing tubes... I for one, like them... Having said that - if the look wears off, would you be so kind as to describe how and what you used...
__________________
2014 Matte Olive BMW R1200 GSA "The Water Boxer." {Certified BMW Therapist}
toowoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 02:56 PM   #2384
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer
 
DRTBYK's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: North Central Washington (state)
Oddometer: 5,106
BMW wasn't so hip a decade ago, my 2004 GSA has the crash bars plugged.



__________________
Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 03:03 PM   #2385
duffs
It's been useful
 
duffs's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Battersea (London) UK
Oddometer: 1,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by toowoomba View Post
It looks good what you have done, but I find the hole punching, swiss cheese making ends of all the tubes elegant, modern and kind of like a "we do want we want" attitude, which I find refreshing. I'm sure they had their reasons for leaving the tubes plug less and exposed, I have no idea why, but I wanted to stick up for the unplugged flesh piercing tubes... I for one, like them... Having said that - if the look wears off, would you be so kind as to describe how and what you used...
+1

Agree... the charm of the design is in BMW’s almost militant function over form mantra.
__________________
Ride reports: Europe 2014 | Alps 2013 | Fryslân 2012
2012 F 800 GS Trophy 2014 R 1200 GS TE

Blog: Gelände Straßetastic! Facebook Tumblr
Ride reports, photos, tips, experiences, general twaddle
duffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014