Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2014, 08:05 PM   #2461
Kenbike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 651
Did 330 miles of two lane ohio roads today with a FJR, VFR, and a Honda 1300 cruiser. It really magnifies the difference between my old Tenere and the GSA.
I when I owned the Yamaha kept telling myself it was good enough and just ride it and not worry. After a total of 700 miles on the GSA it is very apparent the Tenere is slow, weak brakes, poor suspension, and BORING. So happy it is gone and have the new bike. The FJR and VFR owners are thinking of trading after a half hour on my bike. It is really a outstanding motor cycle.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:58 PM   #2462
Silverfin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
New GSA

Kenbike....you have had both: the Super Tenere and the new GSA. For a upcoming ride to S America I am leaning torwards the new 2014 Super Tenere (with an Ohlins shock upgrade) over the new GSA....primarily for the reliability and dealer network. We are 2up and not having mechanical issues for me, is more important that the advantages of the GSA (range and performance). I dont want to stir up a debate here but it seems like the Tenere fares better down south.

So....since you had both bikes....which one would you ride to Chile with your wife and too much gear?
Silverfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:40 PM   #2463
Bikerboy108
Pat from Jersey

Oddometer: 968
Quote:
Originally Posted by cratliff View Post
I installed the AltRider headlight guard and never removed anything...
You're a far far better man than I Gunga Din
Old 07-11-2014, 11:01 PM   #2464
bobobob
badbadbad

Oddometer: 5,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom119 View Post
For you guys with a new GSA WC, I have a question: What RPM are you turning at 75 mph, or conversely, at 4000 RPM in 6th gear what speed are you running?

My dad's got a 2010 GSA and he loves it but thinks that the gearing is too low in 6th for interstate work (i.e., he thinks he's turning too much RPM at 75 mph). All the other gears are spot on, he says, so he doesn't to change the final drive. He compared the gear ratio's but the primary is different too so he doesn't have anything to go on, I can't find a gear ratio calculator that is worth a damn online, and we can't find a dealer that'll let us demo a bike.

If he can cruise at 75-80 around 4000 I think he'd get a new one, or if the engine turns over 4K at 75 if it was smoother I think he'd like it too.
Could always change out the 2.91 for a taller 2.75 and get about 4k rpm at 80 mph.

http://www.maxbmwmotorsport.com/r120...drive-upgrade/
http://www.maxbmwmotorsport.com/r1200-r/

It is just a bunch of inner tubes Roy . . . - Cannonshot
Growing old is compulsory - growing up is optional. - Haroon
bobobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 01:52 AM   #2465
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoop71 View Post
Nice!! Now a couple months of tortuous waiting!
It's gonna be tough, but I have a couple of months to buy farkles!
Old 07-12-2014, 05:04 AM   #2466
Kenbike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfin View Post
Kenbike....you have had both: the Super Tenere and the new GSA. For a upcoming ride to S America I am leaning torwards the new 2014 Super Tenere (with an Ohlins shock upgrade) over the new GSA....primarily for the reliability and dealer network. We are 2up and not having mechanical issues for me, is more important that the advantages of the GSA (range and performance). I dont want to stir up a debate here but it seems like the Tenere fares better down south.

So....since you had both bikes....which one would you ride to Chile with your wife and too much gear?
I would go with a tricked out KLR 650. Install shocks and forks, pannier racks slip on, jet kit and bike crash bars. No worries about all of the electronic parts and just a carb.
If between a GSA and Tenere go with GSA with at least 5000 miles so you have it broken in and set up. It is so much better then the Tenere as the Tenere is to the KLR.
I know a lot of guys enjoy the Yamaha and maybe just suffering from GSA lust!
Old 07-12-2014, 09:07 AM   #2467
Beecher Snipes
Fool

Oddometer: 306
This engine will run all day long at 5000RPM (or more). It is intended to. A change in thinking is what is really needed.
Beecher Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 09:22 AM   #2468
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
It's gonna be tough, but I have a couple of months to buy farkles!
And it may take that long. Don't delay!

For street use I recommend you at least get the headlamp and running lights guards along with the radiator guards. BMW's headlamp guard offers the highest degree of protection along with the ventilation necessary to keep that unit cool. And it's grommet mounted for easy cleaning. Some products interfere somewhat with cooling and the LED lamp puts out a lot of heat. That AltRider guard looks nice, too.

For offroad use I strongly recommend a larger, stronger bash plate. One that extends to protect the catalytic converter. Several good products are recommended in this thread. I went with BDCW's.

Happy shopping!

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 09:35 AM   #2469
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,574
New R1200GSA WC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beecher Snipes View Post
This engine will run all day long at 5000RPM (or more). It is intended to. A change in thinking is what is really needed.

You're absolutely correct. I've run my '09 GSA on the interstate from NC to Kansas City at 70 to 80 mph, stopping only for fuel. That's a 1045 mile day in under 17 hours. It didn't miss a beat. My '14 does doesn't seem to mind, either. So far, my longest day has been just over 600 miles and much of it was 75+ mph.

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
mikegc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 09:38 AM   #2470
Silverfin
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbike View Post
I would go with a tricked out KLR 650. Install shocks and forks, pannier racks slip on, jet kit and bike crash bars. No worries about all of the electronic parts and just a carb.
If between a GSA and Tenere go with GSA with at least 5000 miles so you have it broken in and set up. It is so much better then the Tenere as the Tenere is to the KLR.
I know a lot of guys enjoy the Yamaha and maybe just suffering from GSA lust!

I don't see how a KLR would work 2up for a year+ (we are no spring chickens). Spent a week on a DR650 2 up in Nicaragua...took a week to recover from that. Regarding BMW...lets see...as we speak we have a new GSA with a loose valve seat (made it back to the US) and another GS stranded in Brazil with a ECU issue (won't run) ....no question they can do it...just the consequences of a mechanical issue outweigh the performance advantage for my taste. Same reason I would take a stripper Toyota Tacoma over a high spec Ford p/u....if I was going to do this in a cage.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:59 AM   #2471
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,073
Silverfin:

Well, it's definitely a personal call and I doubt anyone has the magic solution for you as every option is little more than a mixed bag of compromises. But I'm on my 3rd BMW (2nd GSA) and I've ridden them in places few GSA's ever go (and some I shouldn't have) and the only other bike I've seen that I'd consider for myself is the KTM 1190 Adv. Or the older 990/950.

Carb vs. FI is a biggie, of course. Spoke wheels are the only way to go, IMO, even for a paved route. Tubeless spokes rule here. GSA suspension (telelever/paralever) is unrivaled in the DS world given that shocks can be upgraded. Overall bike weight factored with load capacity and comfort would seem to be major issues for your trip. Add to that any expectation of doing routine maintenance and even significant repairs yourself.

The valve seat popped after running near red line for most of a day. Yes, the bike should be good for that but unless you're riding that hard you might not worry about it.

You'd be hard-pressed to get through a long distance Ride Report without reading of some significant breakdown no matter what bike is being ridden. They're machines and machines break.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 10:11 AM   #2472
milo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
I wouldn't hesitate on a DR650 solo but you couldn't pay me to ride a KLR 650 two up or solo all that way, heck you'd need to carry a case of oil along as much a they drink the stuff. May as well take a Ural!

milo screwed with this post 07-12-2014 at 01:07 PM
milo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 10:33 AM   #2473
Silverfin
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks Schizzman

Well thought response. Agree with everything and as you said every circumstance is unique. Would not even think about anything other than tubeless, spoked wheels either (another strike against the KLR) . I will still go with the Super Tenere for this trip and yeah...I know it's going to break....hopefully not too difficult to fix. Hell...I had to spend a hour with a roadside bike mechnic in Nicaragua fixing the DR650 passenger peg that snapped on a 0 mph drop...and we were only out for a week.

As you said...the load factor is the biggest issues....but its been done on a V-Strom 2up/no issues...looks like we will be leaving from Seattle area after Christmas as I am finishing up my contract work a little later than expected.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:02 AM   #2474
Mobthrob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
2015 R1200GSA - Worth the wait?

I have a 2014 on on order arriving soon... After seeing the press release I am wondering if I should WAIT FOR 2015??

I am 5 ft. 7 inches with 30" inseam and press release advises the 2015 version can be Factory Lowered by 50mm. This means I could use the stock seat instead of lowered gs in low position.

Would some experienced owners mind providing some insight as to the positive or negative impact of factory lowered suspension? What is the performance impact? And will that be offset by me being more comfortably sized to the bike.

Would suspension travel be compromised?

There is no other bike I want - I am in love with the GSA. Coming from 650, 1150gs (10 yrs).

The additional bells and whistles are nice (keyless ride).

Here is the press release link: https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/globa...tem=node__6629

R1200gsa 2015 excerpt:

BMW R 1200 GS Adventure.
As of model year 2015, the R 1200 GS Adventure will also comprise new features which make handling the ultimate long-distance travel enduro even more dynamic and comfortable. For example, it can be fitted with the BMW Motorrad Keyless Ride System as an ex-works option. This enables both the steering lock and the fuel filler flap to be locked and unlocked. The motorcycle is started using the starter button as before. With Keyless Ride, the key can always remain in the rider's clothing. The Shift Assistant Pro available as an option ex works allows the rider to shift up without clutch, enabling acceleration virtually without torque interrupt. It also allows downshifting without using the clutch. As an option ex works, the
R 1200 GS Adventure can now also be fitted with a lowered suspension. In conjunction with a reduction in seat height by 50 millimetres to 860/840 millimetres, the R 1200 GS Adventure is now also within reach of customers for whom the previous seat height posed an insurmountable obstacle. If a further reduction in seat height is required, the R 1200 GS Adventure can also be fitted with the seats of the R 1200 GS. This reduces seat height by an additional 20 millimetres.
An overview of the new features in the R 1200 GS Adventure:
Suspension lowered by 50 millimetres (option)
Low seats from the R 1200 GS (option)
Shift Assistant Pro (option)
Keyless Ride (option)
Mobthrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 10:28 AM   #2475
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 3,094
(test for 166)
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote