Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2013, 02:54 PM   #421
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 6,050
Many here seem to be enamored with the power this bike makes..I'm wandering how many of these same people have wrestled a 125 horsepower, 600 pound motorcycle on a rocky trail..or on a 40%+ clay road after an inch of rain...

Then add a wider tire to the mix..

VEGASGSA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:56 PM   #422
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 2,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorlite View Post
That blue seat could work with the white version, and the white's gray seat with the blue version. If you really wanted to.
Fantastic idea actually.
I can almost see the swaps happening in dealerships.
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:57 PM   #423
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 2,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASGSA View Post
Many here seem to be enamored with the power this bike makes..I'm wandering how many of these same people have wrestled a 125 horsepower, 600 pound motorcycle on a rocky trail..or on a 40%+ clay road after an inch of rain...

I know at least one (a friend).
But with 100 HP.
He actually rides it better than his enduro partner rides his 950.
(and no I cannot do what either of them can)
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:02 PM   #424
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
I know at least one (a friend).
But with 100 HP.
He actually rides it better than his enduro partner rides his 950.
(and no I cannot do what either of them can)
Oh..I know a guy or two as well.. But I can tell you..with the throttle response this bike has..and the power..if you're going to be on a rocky trail..marbles..baby heads..the average guy is going to wish for a de-tune in a damn hurry.. For the Dakar capable guys in the ad's..looks easy..

Gravel roads..it'll be brilliant..
Old 10-17-2013, 04:43 PM   #425
mefly2
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 960
[QUOTE=VEGASGSA;22576454]... I can tell you..with the throttle response this bike has..and the power..if you're going to be on a rocky trail..marbles..baby heads..the average guy is going to wish for a de-tune in a damn hurry..QUOTE]

Switch modes for less "twist grip" power ....
Touratech: Upper Crash Bars, big foot, pannier rack, ZegaPro panniers;
Fuzeblock, Rigid Dually D2 + yellow covers; Wunderlich bar risers w/ Q-adjust
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:07 PM   #426
Wdwrkr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,579
Quote:

This could be an issue, but I'm thinking you simply plan ahead and put it rain mode which cuts down the hp considerably, and enduro mode and it will creep right along... I guess we really won't know for sure until it comes out, but I'd like to think this had some thought put into it in Munich...
Old 10-17-2013, 05:24 PM   #427
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,649
Quote:
Oh..I know a guy or two as well.. But I can tell you..with the throttle response this bike has..and the power..if you're going to be on a rocky trail..marbles..baby heads..the average guy is going to wish for a de-tune in a damn hurry.. For the Dakar capable guys in the ad's..looks easy..

Gravel roads..it'll be brilliant..
Yup, When it comes to riding technical terrain, It's all about what it can do between idle and 3K RPM. My Hexhead outperforms my Camhead in this scenario.
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:48 PM   #428
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 804
It sounds like you guys are looking for reasons to hate this bike but be realistic. With the ride modes, enduro and enduro pro tame that agressive throttle for tougher offroad sections so its not an issue. What is an issue is the weight of the bike, but that applies to all the big bikes as well as the old GSA. Its all relative.

Ive had my GSW offroad in some technical stuff, and crashed, and the power is very controllable. The weight though is another story. It does do better though than my old GS did. As for the tires, the only knobbies ive ran were actually the "old" sizes as I couldnt find the new sizes at the time. Either way, we are talking about less than a half inch in total width more so the comparisons that the bigger tires will kill offroad performance is a bit ridiculous.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:18 PM   #429
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
Switch modes for less "twist grip" power ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdwrkr View Post
This could be an issue, but I'm thinking you simply plan ahead and put it rain mode which cuts down the hp considerably, and enduro mode and it will creep right along... I guess we really won't know for sure until it comes out, but I'd like to think this had some thought put into it in Munich...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
It sounds like you guys are looking for reasons to hate this bike but be realistic. With the ride modes, enduro and enduro pro tame that agressive throttle for tougher offroad sections so its not an issue. What is an issue is the weight of the bike, but that applies to all the big bikes as well as the old GSA. Its all relative.

Ive had my GSW offroad in some technical stuff, and crashed, and the power is very controllable. The weight though is another story. It does do better though than my old GS did. As for the tires, the only knobbies ive ran were actually the "old" sizes as I couldnt find the new sizes at the time. Either way, we are talking about less than a half inch in total width more so the comparisons that the bigger tires will kill offroad performance is a bit ridiculous.
Yes..I understand how the "modes" work..

What I am getting at, is..they built a bike with a gazillion horsepower..then, use a computer to choke it back down to about what the old one was, to make it more rideable off road..it just strikes me as interesting..that's all..doesn't anyone else find that sorta funny?

You would be seriously wrong..I have stated many times, I love the White...and the Blue is REALLY growing on me..and it is well known in these forums that I am sorta shopping for a new steed..but LOVE my ol' GSA...I did contact the dealership that sold me my '08 about them yesterday though..so, no, not looking for a reason to hate it..trying to figure out a reason it exists..maybe..but not trying to hate it..and..when I was in Vegas..I longed for a Water Cooled Boxer..

Stevie keeps shoving that doG damn Guzzi in my face though..and I love how different they look..what they sound like..
Old 10-17-2013, 07:37 PM   #430
TuonoBiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 640
I see where you are coming from, but I figure the higher power gives you more touring power. Lets face it, on a bike like this, it isnt just hitting the dirt roads...its, for me anyway, having to hit the slab for 5 hours to get there.

125hp is plenty, but still not inthe ktm or duc realm...still reasonable.
'07 Tuono Factory - gone but not forgotten
TuonoBiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:24 PM   #431
Jabba
"HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer: 12,542
I've gotta say- I'm not impressed with the pics of this thing. It looks cobbled together- has no flow to it. The tall tank doesn't look like a great idea, either. Almost like they were desperate to cram enough fuel in there? I've got an 1150GSA and while it's no beauty queen, it looks like the same guy designed it and the GS... This thing looks a mess. I'm hoping that seeing it in the flesh changes my mind. (PS- what the hell is with these colors?!)

"The road to paradise is paradise" Jacques Yves Cousteau
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:50 PM   #432
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuonoBiker View Post
I see where you are coming from, but I figure the higher power gives you more touring power. Lets face it, on a bike like this, it isnt just hitting the dirt roads...its, for me anyway, having to hit the slab for 5 hours to get there.

125hp is plenty, but still not inthe ktm or duc realm...still reasonable.
I've been stopped in Laughlin Nv for an honest 100..in a 55..where can we go much faster than that? Maybe Utah now..several 80 zones there.not sure what they let fly..I s'pose..not saying it isn't fun to ride..just question the need?? Hell, the finals can't live with the 100 they had......
Old 10-17-2013, 09:55 PM   #433
jimmex
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMilan View Post
Thanks for taking the bait...

The GS has those funny lookin' blades by the radiators, a too small fuel tank and the GSA has better wind and weather protection.

Dirt Bike???? c'mon

Varios.... ugly??? nahhhh they ain't ugly. u ugly

2" lower, Vario Cases... just needed cruise control

d'milan
K1200s Father, Harley mother.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:44 AM   #434
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,493
Quote:
I've been stopped in Laughlin Nv for an honest 100..in a 55..where can we go much faster than that? Maybe Utah now..several 80 zones there.not sure what they let fly..I s'pose..not saying it isn't fun to ride..just question the need?? Hell, the finals can't live with the 100 they had......
The bike is made in the land of the de-restricted freeways
Old 10-18-2013, 01:05 AM   #435
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 804
Quote:
Yes..I understand how the "modes" work..

What I am getting at, is..they built a bike with a gazillion horsepower..then, use a computer to choke it back down to about what the old one was, to make it more rideable off road..it just strikes me as interesting..that's all..doesn't anyone else find that sorta funny?

You would be seriously wrong..I have stated many times, I love the White...and the Blue is REALLY growing on me..and it is well known in these forums that I am sorta shopping for a new steed..but LOVE my ol' GSA...I did contact the dealership that sold me my '08 about them yesterday though..so, no, not looking for a reason to hate it..trying to figure out a reason it exists..maybe..but not trying to hate it..and..when I was in Vegas..I longed for a Water Cooled Boxer..

Stevie keeps shoving that doG damn Guzzi in my face though..and I love how different they look..what they sound like..
Your logic still is flawed. The outgoing GSA is 110 hp. The one previously was 100 hp. All of which is more than you need on rough ground. However, the throttle isn't an on / off switch. The ride modes make the throttle even more controllable. They do not, however, limit the power. They only change how the throttle responds among other things.

Point is, the new GS with the ride modes, is very easy to control offroad. If you don't want 125 hp, you don't twist the throttle all the way. A bike could have 1000 hp, but if the throttle is easy to control then it could still be ridden anywhere with ease.