Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2013, 01:18 PM   #631
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Mechanically it will be virtually identical. There will be peripheral changes like the tank and longer shocks, but mechanically it will be the same.

Jim
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne...ture-revealed/For the first time the Adventure model has significant engine modifcations when compared to the standard model with a flywheel which weighs 950grams more than that of the standard bike which, in conjunction with an extra vibration damper aims to improve the rideability of the bike at low speed and when negotiating off-road terrain.
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:01 PM   #632
Sailorlite
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
In BMW's press release for the new LC RT model, there's mention of increased "centrifugal masses" in the crankshaft and alternator, compared I guess to the GS, and meant to smooth out vibration... and no mention of a heavier flywheel.

It seems odd that the new RT's motor would be different from the GSA's in this regard, but that's what BMW's marketing info says.

Additionally, whichever of these modifications actually appears would seem to be applicable to the standard GS model too, either as a running 2014 model change or as an extra cost "option".
Sailorlite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:14 PM   #633
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by bemiiten View Post
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne...ture-revealed/For the first time the Adventure model has significant engine modifcations when compared to the standard model with a flywheel which weighs 950grams more than that of the standard bike which, in conjunction with an extra vibration damper aims to improve the rideability of the bike at low speed and when negotiating off-road terrain.
Interesting. We shall see if it really is true, or makes much difference.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:38 PM   #634
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorlite View Post
In BMW's press release for the new LC RT model, there's mention of increased "centrifugal masses" in the crankshaft and alternator, compared I guess to the GS, and meant to smooth out vibration... and no mention of a heavier flywheel.

It seems odd that the new RT's motor would be different from the GSA's in this regard, but that's what BMW's marketing info says.

Additionally, whichever of these modifications actually appears would seem to be applicable to the standard GS model too, either as a running 2014 model change or as an extra cost "option".
The fast revving motor is for the most part better for a street application while the heavier rotating mass of the GSA pays dividends on slippery surfaces and the slow going typically encountered when you use the GS offroad. Maybe the RT just got the balancer.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:41 PM   #635
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus View Post
I call it the Waterhead.
I call it the...

wait for it!

SPORKHEAD!
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:00 PM   #636
DrHaus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
More Pics

While looking at the FB page of a local dealer I found these!

I'm definitely getting the blue one in preparation for Alaska 2015! Enjoy:

photos credited to: https://www.facebook.com/northerncoloradoeuro

DrHaus screwed with this post 11-22-2013 at 04:09 PM Reason: Clean up
DrHaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:16 AM   #637
Exos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Info

Any new info on this bike? I'm expecting the next new to come out at the NEC this upcoming weekend... But I'm starving for information, ride reviews etc.

Another question... My bike will be prepped for the nav V, though I am not sure I want to invest that much in the device. I've read the threads elsewhere on this site but I was wondering what others were planning in doing in this regard. The dealership tried telling me the vibrations on a bike would destroy my phone, if mounted, in about six months. Additionally... My bike will have a mount and twist device on the grip that won't be doing me a whole lot of good...
Exos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:25 AM   #638
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragrvs View Post
Any new info on this bike? I'm expecting the next new to come out at the NEC this upcoming weekend... But I'm starving for information, ride reviews etc.

Another question... My bike will be prepped for the nav V, though I am not sure I want to invest that much in the device. I've read the threads elsewhere on this site but I was wondering what others were planning in doing in this regard. The dealership tried telling me the vibrations on a bike would destroy my phone, if mounted, in about six months. Additionally... My bike will have a mount and twist device on the grip that won't be doing me a whole lot of good...
They are full of crap. Your phone can easily handle the vibrations.

As for the mount, I think it has potential for other GPS units with some mods.

That said, I, for the first time ever, would be willing to pony up for the factory GPS purely because of how it integrates with the bike. The functions it supports are amazing.

Jim
Old 11-19-2013, 05:40 AM   #639
Exos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
They are full of crap. Your phone can easily handle the vibrations.

As for the mount, I think it has potential for other GPS units with some mods.

That said, I, for the first time ever, would be willing to pony up for the factory GPS purely because of how it integrates with the bike. The functions it supports are amazing.

Jim
Jim,

Have any recommended reading on the NAV V? Looks like we're not too far apart... I'm down in Virginia Beach. Ever have any dealings with Adventure BMW? That's where I'm getting my bike from.
Exos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:45 AM   #640
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 851
Quote:

Your phone should be able to take it, just as good as the GPS. But with the Nav5 I find it worth the while to upgrade.
No testrides have been done on the GSA. Don't know if they will do a presslaunch in SA again. First test will probably come end of December or in January.
All available info so far can be found on the site of BMW.

Yes, still a rookie
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:45 AM   #641
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Jim,

Have any recommended reading on the NAV V? Looks like we're not too far apart... I'm down in Virginia Beach. Ever have any dealings with Adventure BMW? That's where I'm getting my bike from.
I don't have the Nav V, but have played with it and really like it. I'll see if I can dig up any literature.

As for Adventure BMW, nothing bad to say about them. Seems they are knowledgeable and fair.

Jim
Old 11-19-2013, 05:49 AM   #642
MoxNix
Stuttgart Germany

Oddometer: 1,165
Nav V even without the bike integration advantages is worth the upgrade. The 550 to Nav IV upgrade was minimal but IV to V is incredible.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:00 AM   #643
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by bemiiten View Post
I don't get the Touratech hate. So you guys don't run crashbars or have any use for sturdy painners? And last time I checked, a streetbike can benefit from those parts just as much as one thats used in the backcountry.
I don't hate TT at all. I just find it funny what people will spend their money on. Thousands of dollars worth of extra farkles that at resale time, really are worthless. I mean, does anyone really need a rear brake reservoir protective housing from machined aluminum? Or a similar device for a fog light? The truth is that a lot of GS's never leave a paved road, (granted there are those out there who are more hardcore)
It just seems like a bunch of useless "poseur" farkle junk, at outrageous pricing. But hey man, it's your bike, do whatever the hell you want to it.
steelerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:44 AM   #644
clintonl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
The dealership tried telling me the vibrations on a bike would destroy my phone, if mounted, in about six months.
I've ridden for a year with my iPhone mounted in my GSA's cockpit, including good chunks of unpaved alaska/yukon last summer.

No problems whatsoever with the phone. YMMV
clintonl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 02:28 PM   #645
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerider View Post
I don't hate TT at all. I just find it funny what people will spend their money on. Thousands of dollars worth of extra farkles that at resale time, really are worthless. I mean, does anyone really need a rear brake reservoir protective housing from machined aluminum? Or a similar device for a fog light? The truth is that a lot of GS's never leave a paved road, (granted there are those out there who are more hardcore)
It just seems like a bunch of useless "poseur" farkle junk, at outrageous pricing. But hey man, it's your bike, do whatever the hell you want to it.
Think of it as insurance. A little spent now can save allot of time and hassle for myself and riding partners later.

bemiiten screwed with this post 11-19-2013 at 06:05 PM