ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: How many significant crashes on the road have you been involved in as a motorcyclist?
None at all 39 27.46%
None significant 23 16.20%
One 50 35.21%
A couple 14 9.86%
Three or four 13 9.15%
5 to 10 2 1.41%
11 to 20 1 0.70%
I recall more than 20 0 0%
Way more than I care to remember 0 0%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-05-2013, 08:06 AM   #31
Conedodger
Wanna Ride

Oddometer: 271
Rear-ended at a yield sign by an inattentive cager. I never fell off, but significant because the bike was totaled due to frame damage.
Conedodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:30 AM   #32
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,423
Thats the thing woth bike crashes, you can have a crash without a scratch that might end in a fatality if it was slightly different.
Vertical C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:06 AM   #33
Jan from Finland
Registered

Oddometer: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical C View Post
Thats the thing woth bike crashes, you can have a crash without a scratch that might end in a fatality if it was slightly different.
That is so true! I have had few of those years ago. Later you start thinking what-if.

Once went wide on a narrow mountain road. A guard rail saved the day. It was the only one for miles! Another time I rode wide into a ditch. Fortunately it was just cleaned, dry and had no drainage culverts to hit. All 300mm of suspension travel was used that day:-)
- Pro Travel Tip by Overland Journal
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jan from Finland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:24 PM   #34
Aj Mick OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 586
Surprising, but pleasing to see the "none at all" percentage higher than I would have expected.

"None significant" and "One" is about where I thought it would peak, and it has. My guess is that most have a bit of a "wake-up" call, and learn from it.... or end their (motorcycling) days.

Disturbing to see an accident prone few (about 13%) in the multiple crashes groups of "Three or four" and above.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:17 PM   #35
Patrol
VALE 46!

Oddometer: 1,366
Neither the rider nor the deer went to hospital, yet I don't think either of them would consider the crash "insignificant". Interesting.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:30 AM   #36
Gripsteruser
Service Monkey

Oddometer: 739
Somehow this question needs a weighting system to compare high mileage (IronButt) riders or racers to those of us who only come out on sunny days.

I've done the cross-country and halfway back ride (long ago between careers) and would like to do it again. But my current sentence in the Corporate Prison Camp dictates that I only ride motorcycle a little bit. So I've not reached 6 figure bike mileage in 34 years of riding. And I remain one of "those who will."

(Haven't had a car crash in 40 years of driving even commuting 250k in the last 10 years...... sure have come close a time or two though.)
Gripsteruser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:05 PM   #37
Aj Mick OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripsteruser View Post
Somehow this question needs a weighting system to compare high mileage (IronButt) riders or racers to those of us who only come out on sunny days.

(Haven't had a car crash in 40 years of driving even commuting 250k in the last 10 years...... sure have come close a time or two though.)
I agree with your point in theory, but in practice for a simple poll like this it is better to keep it simple. It is just to get a general idea of how accident prone we are here on ADV Rider.

Observation of those around me suggests that a few people are involved in quite a few accidents, while a large number seldom, crash, if ever.

Right now I work at a university where at least 99% of the students and probably half the staff ride motorcycles daily....... and not an ATGATT among them. I see the odd one turn up on campus a bit bandaged up, but not often. However it does tend to be the same few more than once.