User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2013, 05:36 PM   #1
mass-klr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
SW Motech center stand on KLR650

Anyone else having problem with instability of the sw centerstand? When I put my bike on the center stand the stand is at nearly 90 degrees. So I can't use the stand on a slite downhill or it wil run of the stand. I had a pretty bad experience today while changing my rear tire. Had bike on centerstand, changed tire, as I was putting the tire back on and trying to put the chain on before I had the axle installed I push the tire forward a bit and pushed the bike off of the center stand. You can just imagine what a mess that was when the bike fell over while the tire was not on yet. I had to get my neighbor help me get it back on the stand. I am very worried that something was damaged when the back of the bike fell on the tire/sprocket/brake rotor. Put everything back together and it seems to be ok. I would be very worried using it to change my tire alone somewhere using the center stand.

Any suggestions? Is it even worth having it?

Paved Roads are just another example of wasted Taxpayer Dollars
mass-klr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:56 PM   #2
Jtoper
Adventurerer

Oddometer: 55
dremel it!

I had the same issue on my 2009 KLR. I had it on the center-stand at work when a co-worker bumped the back of it. That was enough to push it forward off of the center stand. Luckily, he is a big boy and was able to catch it and man handle the thing before it hit the ground.

How did I remedy the situation?

I took a dremel with a small stone wheel to the point where the pin sits against the mount:

Seems like SW-Motech would have dealt with this before putting them out to market. I guess they just figured they were going on a KLR so it would be ok.
You have to take out enough material to make the bike sit back on the stand a bit more and you won't have this problem again. The other option is to just go out and get one of these like I did.

The first option is a hell of alot cheaper though. Hope that helps and good luck.
Jtoper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:59 AM   #3
Lowrider_Bud
I'll ride anything..

Oddometer: 18
Use the front brake...

I don't have a centerstand, but do use a "jiffy-jack". When lifting the rear wheel I wrap a bungee cord around the front brake lever so it can't roll forward or backwards. Working on the front wheel I put the bike in gear. Pretty simle and works.
Lowrider_Bud is offline   Reply With Quote