User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2013, 04:08 PM   #1
LarryGee OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Routing in Basecamp - Why so inflexible?

Coming from map source, I find Basecamp difficult to use, as it pertains to routing. In map source, you could click and lay down some waypoints between your start point and end point. Then, if you wanted to change any portion of the route, between waypoints, you could easily grab and drag the route line to wherever you wanted it.

With Basecamp, you enter the beginning and ending waypoints and then drag those into the auto routing box. I have no problem with that. For simple a to b routing its fine. However, the problem is that, even if you added multiple waypoints between A and B, you can't just drag and change the route for a particular section, without having the auto route change the rest of the route.

It's very frustrating. Perhaps I just don't know how to do it.... Any comments or advice?
LarryGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:16 PM   #2
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,221
i'm a mapsource user. tried basecamp and hated what you speak of.
tossed the app asap. no clue why garmin makes it so different and hard to use.
don't like how you need an end point either.

with mapsource you click along the way you wish to go point to point and get to an end.
if you don't like the last portion, you click back and redo the next via point. i don't always have an end point in mind. as i'm creating something on the fly, i'm just testing various ways to go and watching time and mileage plus doing checks in google earth for the road condidtion. my guess is garmin thinks most want to just input a start and stop point and let the machine pick they way.
it's designed for boring, but fast & direct drives in a car not for adv exploring. completely sucks!

thought basecamp was an evolution for mapsource users but it's not.
mapsource (w/ Google Earth) works for me so i'm sticking with it.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350

eakins screwed with this post 07-02-2013 at 04:23 PM
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:34 PM   #3
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,033
I do tracks with BaseCamp, no routes yet. I've found advantages, and real dangers with BC.

An advantage is the ability to toggle instantly between different tracks across the same area to compare them; or to compare tracks that have been edited down with the original.

If I understand correctly how BC works, it is a database, and the data seems to be shared among relevant tracks. A danger lies in making a change to a specific track that unintentionally takes effect globally, in every track that shares the same data.

One has to be careful in assuring that changes are done solely to the track they're supposed to occur in. Even just changing the name of a track can have consequences that ripple through other "lists," as BC calls them.

I think.
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:35 AM   #4
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,883
I use BC for the Mac and haven't experienced any problems at all. Maybe the platforms are different, but on the Mac I create my start and end points, then click and drag to shape the route into minute little twisty roads with no trouble at all.
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:16 AM   #5
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryGee View Post
Coming from map source, I find Basecamp difficult to use............
Give BC a chance. Just use the insertion tool to tailor the route to your liking. I'll never go back to Mapsource.
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:27 AM   #6
BKMLWR
Wondering around...

Oddometer: 4,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by byways View Post
I do tracks with BaseCamp, no routes yet. I've found advantages, and real dangers with BC.

An advantage is the ability to toggle instantly between different tracks across the same area to compare them; or to compare tracks that have been edited down with the original.

If I understand correctly how BC works, it is a database, and the data seems to be shared among relevant tracks. A danger lies in making a change to a specific track that unintentionally takes effect globally, in every track that shares the same data.

One has to be careful in assuring that changes are done solely to the track they're supposed to occur in. Even just changing the name of a track can have consequences that ripple through other "lists," as BC calls them.

I think.
the latest edition of BC is a big help with track names....you can now use the same name for tracks in different lists if list is in different folders
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=899796
LifeSong
BKMLWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:22 AM   #7
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,878
Transitioning from one app to another for the same task is always a difficult proposition. BaseCamp for Windows and Mac are very different in their workflows/tools. No matter which app version you use, I suggest reading/watching the Help and Tutorials before just diving in. I think you'll find it much less frustrating.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:48 AM   #8
BKMLWR
Wondering around...

Oddometer: 4,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Transitioning from one app to another for the same task is always a difficult proposition. BaseCamp for Windows and Mac are very different in their workflows/tools. No matter which app version you use, I suggest reading/watching the Help and Tutorials before just diving in. I think you'll find it much less frustrating.
can the help and tutorials be saved to computer so internet connection is not necessary?
LifeSong
BKMLWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:00 AM   #9
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh62c View Post
Give BC a chance. Just use the insertion tool to tailor the route to your liking. I'll never go back to Mapsource.
This. It takes a little getting used to, but does work ok after you get used to it.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:24 AM   #10
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKMLWR View Post
can the help and tutorials be saved to computer so internet connection is not necessary?
Currently...no.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 07-03-2013, 12:22 PM   #11
LarryGee OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by byways View Post

I think.
This is true. If you delete a waypoint in your route, that is also a waypoint in a different route, it will delete ALL waypoint locations.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:25 PM   #12
LarryGee OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
So, are you saying that I can modify the route between insertion points without affecting the rest of the route?
Old 07-03-2013, 01:18 PM   #13
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,424
Quote:
There's no insertion tool on the Mac version.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:04 PM   #14
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
There's no insertion tool on the Mac version.
That's because you don't need a separate tool to add a point - much more efficient workflow.
But you knew that...

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 07-03-2013, 02:05 PM   #15
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryGee View Post
So, are you saying that I can modify the route between insertion points without affecting the rest of the route?
Yes, AND, you can change the Activity between points or groups of points to create a mix-route.

Dan
All Things GPS