Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Epic Ride Reports
User Name
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2013, 12:45 PM   #1
revans8787 OP
Desert Racer
Joined: Dec 2011
Oddometer: 5
Laugh CDT Part One & Two

First I'd like to apologize for the link to the pictures. I'm new to this posting business and on my first attempt at posting this report I spent hours inserting the various pictures into the associated part of the post. I then went to review it and for whatever reason it all disappeared and I got a message saying that I had logged in since starting or something like that. Anyway all was lost! So the text to the report is below and the link (hopefully will take you to the pictures in my SmugMug gallery (they should be in order). Yes I know there are typos; I corrected them on the failed post but I'm not going to do it again.

Not being able to find much free time I’ll make this a fairly short ride report. Having completed the ride just over a month ago I’m hoping my memory hasn’t dumped too many of the details. I’ve also got to apologize for not having GPS plots for you to follow; hopefully I’ll have them for Part 2. Last winter my friend Ken and I decided to ride the Continental Divide Trail this summer on our KLR’s. I’m retired but unfortunately he’s not so for various reasons we decided to split the ride into 2 sections. One of the reasons we thought this would work best is because he would have a hard time getting enough time off at once for us to be able to complete it during one ride. We also wanted to be able to hopefully ride at a more leisurely pace than doing it all at once would allow. Another reason was the weather. Considering the monsoon season in the Arizona, New Mexico area is late July and August we decided it would be best to ride the NM section before the rainy season. As a result we encountered no rain and it wasn’t nearly as hot as it would be later in the summer. I can also see where others who have reported on this ride were absolutely correct when they’ve said there are sections in NM that would be nearly impossible to ride in the rain or soon afterwards. But of course the best time for the northern section and higher elevations would be later in the summer, after it warms up and the snow has had time to melt. I figured the best way to tackle this conflict would be to ride the NM section early summer and complete the remaining section later in the summer. This report is therefore about part 1 of our CDT adventure. We also didn’t see any point in by-passing all of the dirt and small roads getting to and from the trail. As a result we spent more time getting to & from than actually on the trail.

Day 1 - Home (Las Vegas, NV) to Grand Canyon Caverns

As usual we got a later start than planned; it was mid-afternoon (of course if everything went as planned it’d be boring and not much of an adventure!). After crossing over Hoover Dam we continue south on 93 for a half hour or so before heading NE to find some dirt in the Hualapai Valley. We headed SE in the valley on the Antares Road until reaching the old Route 66 a little west of Hackberry, AZ. We then headed east on the paved road initially thinking we’d reach Seligman but the sun was getting low so we pulled into the Grand Canyon Caverns motel. A group that was going to hike down to Supai Falls was kind enough to invite us to join them for a dinner BBQ. It was a nice finish to our 1st day, burgers and beer under the stars.

Day 2 – on to Lo Lo Mai Resort Campground

After breakfast Ken did the Cavern tour while I enjoyed coffee in my room. I had taken the tour a few years back so I figured I’d get more out of relaxing with my coffee than doing the tour again. Continuing east on Rte 66 brought us to Seligman, where we got off the pavement again. On the south side of the freeway we got on a dirt road (Williamson Valley Rd.) that took us to the town of Chino Valley. It was a nice dirt road rolling through ranches and small mountains. After fuel and lunch we headed east out of Chino Valley on a paved road that quickly turned into dirt, the East Parkinsville Rd. After winding around in the mountains we ended up on FR318, which lead us to the scenic town of Jerome. Jerome is well worth a visit if you’re ever in the area. It’s an old mining town with plenty to see and places to eat, drink and shop. A little past Jerome (in Cottonwood) we decided to start thinking about where to spend the night so we pulled over and pulled out the iPhone and did a little research. Being near Sedona rooms were running a little pricey so we decided to search for a campground. Fortunately the Lo Lo Mai Resort campground popped up and we decided to give it a chance. It was still a little further down the road in Page Springs, about 13 miles SW of Sedona. What a great find! It’s next to nice stream and has large campsites. Plus, as a bonus it had a pool with a hot-tub! After setting up our tents we decided to treat ourselves to a nice dinner at a restaurant just a mile or 2 down the road. We finished the evening off enjoying the hot-tub and some libations we had brought along.

Day 3 – on to the AZ Expo and Payson

By the time we enjoyed our coffee, showered and packed up the bikes it was probably pushing 10 o’clock. After a short drive into Sedona it was time for breakfast at Café Jose. Afterwards Ken needed to find a little oil for his bike and I wanted to buy another pair of socks, so by the time we finished eating and shopping it was close to noon. One of our destinations for the day was the Arizona Off-Road Expo at Mormon Lake. The original plan was to go in a pretty much straight line to Mormon Lake from Sedona on some fire roads, but considering the time and after the salesperson at the outdoor shop I bought my socks in said it was a 4x4 very rocky road and hinted that it might not be a very good road for our loaded bikes, we decided to stick with the pavement to Mormon Lake. Bummer; only the 3rd day and already skipping dirt roads. The Expo turned out being very interesting; there were a lot of very serious expedition type vehicles on display. After about 3 hours we had pretty much seen most of the displays so we decided to press on down the road toward Strawberry. The plan for the next day was to ride the Mogollon Rim Road and Strawberry looked like a good place to spend the night. No such luck, no rooms available so we continued further south to Payson. We arrived in plenty of time to wash the bikes, shower and walk next door to a Mexican restaurant for some margaritas and food.

Day 4 – Payson – Mogollon Rim – Mammoth

We back-tracked out of Payson this morning, going back N & climbing on 87 through Pine & Strawberry to reach the western end of the Mogollon Rim Trail.

Finally on dirt again, we followed the Rim Road (NF300) east. It gave us a lot of nice overlooking vistas to the south. At the end (near Willow Springs Lake) we got on another dirt road (Young Heber Rd., NF512) and headed south. Maybe 5 miles down the road we tried to branch off onto a smaller dirt road (NF202), but after about 5 miles we came to our 1st locked gate. After back-tracking to NF512 we continued south passing through the community of Young. What’s funny is that there was probably 3 – 5 miles of pavement near the town and then it went to dirt again. I could be wrong but I don’t think you can get to Young w/o traveling on quite a few miles of dirt road. We continued S on 288 through the Tonto National Forest. You would think it’s a paved road by looking at a map but its gravel almost all the way to Theodore Roosevelt Lake. We then joined Hwy 188 to Globe, where we ate lunch. We then followed Hwy 77 to Mammoth and got a couple of rooms. After a dip in the pool it was time for fried chicken from a Quick-stop and Tequila on a picnic table at the motel.

Day 5 – Mammoth – CDT to Lordsburg

After breakfast we headed south out of Mammoth. Within a few miles we said “goodbye pavement, hello gravel” by getting on the S. Reddington Road which quickly turned into the N San Pedro River Road. The picture of the semi-lush river valley is the valley these roads ran south in. It’s also where we saw snake # 2. The road was fairly nice and scenic; it changed names as it went south and ended as the N. Casabel Road at Benson, near Hwy 10. It turned to pavement a few miles N of Benson. We then stayed on the pavement making our way down to Tombstone and then on to Bisbee (a very scenic little town tucked away in a fairly narrow valley, as well as being the home of The Queen Copper Mine). Having visited Bisbee in the past and having taken the mine tour we just cruised around the town enough for Ken to get a quick glance. I recommend the Queen Mine Tour, it’s quite informative. They give you a jacket and helmet with a light before putting you on a small trolley that takes you deep into the mountain.

Leaving Bisbee we headed east to Douglas for lunch. I was hoping to be able to just go east out of Douglas on dirt roads all the way to Antelope Wells, the beginning of the CDT. As we left the eastern side of Douglas we got back on dirt roads again, the East Geronimo Trail Road. This road runs east along the US/Mexican border (sometimes almost within a rock throw of the border). Approaching the Arizona/New Mexico border it turns NE and enters the Coronado National Forest. There was one section of silt here that we came upon coming out of a corner, definitely caught us off guard but we just gunned it and plowed our way through. Shortly after entering NM we turned south on Battalion Road, which took us to the ghost town of Cloverdale. We then turned east, hoping to continue on this dirt road almost all the way to Antelope Wells. According to the map it looked like this road would take us through another mountain range and then end on Hwy 81 just a few miles north of Antelope Wells. So far so good, we’ve been making pretty good time today so with any luck we should be starting the CDT at Antelope Wells a few hours before sunset; this would get us to our planned destination of Lordsburg at a reasonable hour. But, luck wasn’t with us. Approximately 20 miles short of Antelope Wells we came upon locked gate #2, as well as 2 border patrol agents parked right next to it. From the looks of the gate and from our discussion with the agents, I think this gate is normally closed and locked. My guess is that the rancher got tired of so many CDT riders taking the short cut that runs through his property. FYI, the gate is at the northern edge of the dried up Cloverdale Lake, 31 25’ 33.08N 108 50’ 13.49W
The shot of GPS shows the diversion we had to take to the north, east, then back south due to the closed gate. The NW point of that shot is Animas, NM and the NE point is Hachita, NM. So, instead of continuing another 20 miles or so to the east past the gate, we had to go approximately 120 miles; all the way north to Animas, then east to Hachita, then south to Antelope Wells. But hey, it’s an adventure! We got there just before sunset, took some pictures and then headed north to Lordsburg. Considering that the border crossing closes at 4PM (maybe 5 in the summer?), it’s probably not hard to guess that there wasn’t any traffic on Hwy 81 south of Hachita. For those of you that are used to backed – up traffic border crossing, the following is from Wikipedia.
“The port was established by Ulysses S. Grant in 1872 and has been staffed since 1928.[3] In 1981 the community had a population of 2, living in trailers behind the customs station, and averaged three people entering per day.[2] In 2005 just 93 pedestrians crossed over the border in the community, which consisted of just four buildings: the port of entry building, two houses and a trailer.[3] Including domestic and international travelers, fewer than 500 buses and privately owned vehicles pass through the community each month, though traffic has been increasing slightly lately[when?] with more international shuttle van service.[3] Despite its low usage, there is no move to close the port, which is the only port between Douglas, Arizona, and Columbus, New Mexico, and provides the most direct route from the United States to the Sierra Madre Occidental.[3]
Antelope Wells is located on New Mexico State Road 81, which links it with Interstate 10 and New Mexico State Road 9.[5] Antelope Wells is the official southern terminus of the 3,100-mile (5,000 km) long Continental Divide Trail and the 2,745-mile (4,418 km) long Great Divide Mountain Bike Route.[citation needed]”

Needless to say, considering the darkness near the border we found ourselves in, we had our fingers crossed that we wouldn’t have any bike problems. Fortunately we didn’t, and soon we found ourselves sitting in front of our motel rooms discussing the days ride while enjoying our friends Jack D. & Jose C.

Day 6 – Lordsburg to Charlie’s cabin

Lordsburg, where we had spent the night is actually 20 miles west of the CDT which goes north out of Separ, NM; so we had to track back 20 miles on Hwy 10 to rejoin the trail. It was dirt as soon as we headed N out of Separ on the Separ Road. A little north of Separ the road crosses what used to be part of the old Butterfield Stage Coach route. We stayed on the Separ Road until reaching Hwy 90, which we followed to Silver City. We had lunch at Diane’s Bakery (Yum…); of course Ken ate a sandwich while I indulged on a cherry turnover and a cinnamon roll! We then headed E out of Silver City to Santa Clara where we headed N on Hwy 152 past the Santa Rita Copper Mine. Just past that the trail went off road again on the gravel Georgetown Road. This let to Hwy 35 at Membres, where we went NWN for about 10 miles (entering the Gila National Wilderness Area) before turning off the pavement onto the gravel North Star Road (NF150). We stayed on this road for hours, it was very wash-boardy initially but after climbing into higher elevations it turned into some pleasurable, scenic riding. This road turned out being much slower and longer than anticipated so as the sun was approaching the horizon we decided to take a longer route but one with more predictable terrain. Our destination for that night was an old friends’ of mine home in the middle of nowhere! The original plan was to depart the CDT 20 – 25 miles south of Pietown and head northwest to his place. But this would have taken us through higher mountains that we were not familiar with and if everything didn’t go right we figured we could have found ourselves wondering around in the mountains in the dark, on little rocky roads with no cell service. His cabin is off the grid; there are no phone lines or electrical lines to his home. He has to drive 15 miles on a dirt road just to get to his mailbox but he does have cell service. So not being sure that we could find it from the direction we were coming from we decided to circle around and make our way to his house from his mailbox.
Approximately 30 miles south of Pietown is where we left the actual CDT trail. The trail was going to take use into higher forested mountains and it was getting dark, so we headed NE on NF 163 / 52 (actually taking use farther from Charlie’s house which is W of the CDT). This lead use to Hwy 60 and the Very Large Array National Radio Astronomy Observatory.

We then headed west through Datil, (where it turned dark) Pietown and Quemado. Approximately 20 miles west of Quemado we turned south onto the dirt road leading to Charlie’s place. There’s a good chance we wouldn’t have found his place considering the last few miles of road to his home is very bad and I’m not sure I could have believed it was the right road. Charlie also knew this and when we called his cell phone from Quemado he said he’d drive out 5 miles or so from his house and meet use…glad he did! This was 2 days in a row that we finished later than planned, and in the dark. But, like I’ve said, “it’s an adventure”. Once again we capped off a good day of riding with good conversation with good friends and cold beer!

Day 7 – Relaxing at Charlie and sherry’s cabin

As you can see from the pics, their place is a log home. It has a 10 foot covered porch all the way around it, very nice place for your morning coffee. When we arrived we were just going to spend one night and then press on but t was so nice we decided to just relax for a day spend a second night there. Late afternoon Charlie took us for a little drive in the woods to check out all of the antelope, w/o fudging at all, we counted well over 100 head within 30 – 45 minutes. Charlie’s wife Sherry fed us well, lots of just chilling and sitting on the porch with Charlie telling old flying stories (we all made our livings flying for airlines, Ken still is).

Day 8 – Charlie’s to Cuba

We didn’t leave Charlie’s until a little after 10, takes a while to get off the porch and put the coffee down. But it’s a good thing because our next stop was Pietown! This was definitely on the agenda. I’ve driven by 3 different times and the first time I didn’t know anything about it and didn’t stop. After having read about it I’ve driven by twice but it was closed both times. This time we arrived at about 10:55AM and they were just opening the doors and taking some pies out. I played it safe with a coconut cream but I wish I had of tried the Oatmeal Pecan; maybe next time.
From Pietown we hit the CDT dirt roads again, heading north on 603. Three miles north we took the Y to the east, putting us on Pietown Road or A83 / C41. This took use to Hwy 117 (paved), at the very south border of the El Malpais National Monument and Conservation Area. We turned west and followed Hwy 117 2.5 miles before turning off to the north on C42 (Chain of Colors Backcountry Byway). This runs along the SW edge of a very large lava flow, an easy place to get a flat-but we were lucky. We stayed on this road until it reached Hwy 53; we followed 53 west a half mile before turning off to the north on forest road 50 (dirt). Within a few miles we got off of 50 and onto 49 (dirt), which we followed through the Zuni Canyon into Grants, NM. After gas and lunch we headed out for Cuba. By now it was mid-afternoon and we were starting to wonder if we would be able to reach Cuba before dark, as a result we headed NW to Milan and then headed north on 605 to San Mateo to rejoin the CDT. This probably saved close to 15 – 20 miles of twisty dirt road getting over the mountain just north of Grants. It turned out being a good choice because upon reaching San Mateo we were having a very hard time making our way back onto the CDT. There seemed to be fences in the way. Fortunately a guy in a truck stopped and told use the company he worked for had closed a portion of the road and that we would have to go a few miles further north to rejoin the trail. The next 20 – 30 miles was pretty desolate but scenic. We had to open and close quite a few gates on this section. It was also quite clear why everyone says this is impassable if wet; it had many wash/creek crossings and was what looked like would have been a very slick clay if wet. This eventually joined up with Hwy 550 (paved), a little south of Cuba.

Day 9 – Cuba to Cuba

A day or 2 earlier Ken found out that his schedule for June/July had him flying out of Anchorage on the 1st of June. Considering that we wanted to take our time and do some off-road riding on the way back to Vegas we decided this would be our last day on the CDT. We had a hardy breakfast before heading out to what was going to be some almost 10,000 foot elevations. The trail took use east out of Cuba on Hwy 126, a paved road we followed for 10 miles before turning north off onto forest road 70. This initially headed NW to Camp Nacimiento before turning to head east again. We discovered some of the most beautiful meadows, ideal for camping either in tents or large trailers. They were flat, green and level. I literally have never seen so many great campsites with plenty of privacy as there were for the first 5 to 10 miles along this road. We continued on forest road 70 for about 16 miles before reaching the T of forest road 103. We then headed north on 103 for about 2 miles, where we turned east onto forest road 315. We followed 315 for almost 7 miles before it ended at the T of forest road 144; this is where the riding became a little more challenging. If I’d been on my WR it would have been fun, but with all of the weight of the KLR and the possibility of puncturing a tire it was a different story. In many places the grade steepened enough that if you stopped you would have had a hard time starting again w/o abusing the clutch. So it was a matter of committing and hoping you picked the best line. We continued making our way along this road (about 2 miles) until I rounded a corner and saw what looked like a steep, more appropriate for a jeep section. 36 01’ 02.03” N 106 35’ 22.17 W. There were 2 bicyclists standing at the top; they must have heard us coming and decided to wait and watch the fun. Fortunately the trail also flattened out at the bottom, providing a good place to stop. Google Earth and the pics don’t do justice. At first it looked pretty bad, but then the bikers walked down and said it flattened out at the top and it wasn’t as bad as it looked. I guess it scared the crap out of Ken because he decided he needed to walk down the side of the hill and take a dump. While he did this I decided to walk the hill and check it out. As it turned out, it wasn’t as bad as it first appeared because most of the rocks were rounded and sort of flattened. The best line would have simply required 2 lane changes; start up the left side for about 25%, switch to the right for the next 50%, then back to the left for the remaining. But by now it was close to 2 or 3 in the afternoon and we didn’t want to take a chance on messing a bike up this close to where we were going to depart the CDT anyway. Plus we didn’t want to jeopardize our return trip through southern Utah, so we did the prudent thing and headed back to Cuba. As it turned out for me this was probably a very lucky decision. Within 10 – 20 minutes of heading back I started getting a very bad gut ache. I found myself trying various riding positions to try and lessen the pain. I’ve only had food poisoning once and it wasn’t a very good experience. I’ve traveled to most of the countries in the world and I’m not normally one to ever get sick, even from eating and drinking all kinds of weird things. But the only thing I could think of that could be causing my stomach to feel like it was going to explode was the ham I’d had at breakfast. I wasn’t feeling any better when we reach Cuba, but I also wasn’t feeling any worse. So it was a Pepto-Bismol dinner for me, no libations. I went to bed early with the hopes that I would be better in the morning.

Day 10 – Cuba to Hite, UT

As it turned out, I felt fine when I woke up so whatever it was I had yesterday was gone. After breakfast we headed NW out of Cuba on paved highway 550. Upon reaching Hwy 64 in Bloomfield we followed 64 west through Farmington and Shiprock, NM. About 4 miles after crossing into AZ we turned N onto Hwy 160, this took us to Four Corners National Monument. Of course we had to play tourist and do the “touching 4 states at once” picture and do a little shopping. After leaving 4 Corners we continued NE into CO on Hwy 160 for about 5 miles before turning off onto Hwy 41 (now heading NW). Although the same road, the Hwy changed numbers upon entering Utah, (Hwy 41 now became Hwy 262). Within a few miles we found ourselves entering scenic Utah red-rock territory. Near Montezuma Creek we would have had to turn north to remain on Hwy 262, instead we continued west on what now became Hwy 163. Upon reaching Bluff we saw the Twin Peaks Café and decided it was time for lunch – great choice! We ate outside on the patio, cold beer and excellent food! After gas we continued W on 163 for about 16.5 miles before turning north onto The Valley of The Gods Road. It was on this section, heading to the Valley of the Gods Road that we had a nice view of Monument Valley. The Valley of the Gods Road is an approximately 17 mile dirt road that initially heads north, then NW, then makes a hairpin left turn to the SE, then S, then finally to the west where it comes out onto Hwy 261. There are many pictures on Google Earth of The Valley of the Gods. Upon reaching the end of The Valley of The Gods Road (at Hwy 261) we turned north. Within a mile or so we found ourselves climbing Moki Dugway, a fairly steep climb up a switchback gravel road.

Ken & I continued N on 261 until it ended at Hwy 95, where we turned west. Within a couple of miles we came to the turnoff to Natural Bridges National Monument. Although we could see we were going to be reaching Hite (our planned campsite) close to dark, we still decided to make the loop through the park. After making the loop we rejoined Hwy 95 heading west to Hite. Hite is located at the head waters of the Colorado River and Lake Powell; it was a small town that was covered by the lake when the dam was built. Although as you can see from our pictures, the lake is so low that it’s back to being just a river.
Neither Ken or I used a rain-fly at Hite, both of our tents provide a lot of visibility w/o the rain-fly. This provided use with a great night of “sleeping under a full moon”. We waited until close to 10PM for the moon to come over the ridge to our east, it was a great moon-rise, well worth the wait. Of course waiting wasn’t too bad; we just sat at a picnic table shooting the BS while enjoying our inebriating favorites and the wonderful weather.

revans8787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 12:46 PM   #2
revans8787 OP
Desert Racer
Joined: Dec 2011
Oddometer: 5
CDT Part Two - Days 11 & 12

See CDT Part One - Days 1 - 10 for the beginning of the trip and for the link to all of the pictures.

Day 11 – Hite to Cedar City

Our departure to the NW from Hite on Hwy 95/276 (paved) took use across the Colorado River and the Dirty Devil River. We stopped at an over-look on the west side of the CO River for some pictures.
About 15 miles NW of Hite we turned left (south) off of Hwy 95 onto Hwy 276. Having eaten lightly this morning we were ready for some food and lo and behold what do we come upon approximately 25 miles after turning south on 276 (about 3 miles N of Ticaboo), Porky’s BBQ! We had barely turned the bikes off before a lady appeared offering large flat pads for our kick-stands. As it turned out, she and her husband were the owners and both rode Honda 650’s. They lived a mile or 2 from there but since he was the cook and had to tend to the cooking throughout the night, they left their RV near the restaurant and slept in it instead of their home. During the winter slow season they live in FL. They were both very nice and the BBQ was great! We continued south on 276 for about 10 miles before turning west onto the Straton Road (dirt and better known as The Burr Trail). If we had continued south just a few more miles we would have been at Bullfrog, on Lake Powell. The Burr Trail took us NW, just east of what’s known as The Waterpocket Fold, some very scenic hills and rock formations. It also took us through Capital Reef National Park. Just before exiting Capital Reef National Monument toward the west the road climbs up out of the valley via many switch-backs. The topography changes from low and dry to green as we reach the plateau east of Boulder, UT. It also takes us through scenic Long Canyon. Upon reaching Boulder, UT we joined Utah’s Scenic Byway 12 to the south/west. A little before reaching Escalante we stopped and checked out the Hole-in-the-Rock display. A couple of years ago I hiked (rock scrambled) down the Hole-in-the-Rock cut-out, swam in the lake and then crawled back up to the top! It seems unbelievable that they took wagon trains up and down the trail. If you’ve never been there I recommend you check it out. It was time for lunch by the time we reached Escalante so we stopped at a place I’ve always had good luck at, The Escalante Outfitters. They used to have an open porch to eat on but now it’s enclosed. Yummy, yummy is all I can say. Ken saw a calzone being served and decided that’s what he wanted; it looked big to me so I ordered a meatball sandwich on Ciabatta bread. Wow! My was even bigger and was it good. I think it was all baked together, all of the meat, cheese and bread was all stuck together. We then continued west, taking us a little north of Bryce Canyon. Upon reaching Hwy 89 we turned north to Panguitch. In Panguitch we turned south/west onto Hwy 143 as we continued to climb to higher elevations. A little past Lake Panguitch we started seeing snow. Upon reaching Hwy 148 we turned south, taking us to Cedar Breaks National Monument. We then followed 14 into Cedar City. Knowing it was Memorial Day weekend I had called my girlfriend from Escalante and asked her to get us a couple of rooms. She did a good job, the place she booked had a pool and hot-tub and we were definitely ready for that after leaving the cold temperature at Cedar Breaks.

Day 12 – Cedar City – home

I wanted to try and avoid the highway from Cedar City so we headed west out of town on Hwy 56. We followed 56 to the SW for about 16 miles (just south of Iron Mountain). At this point the Hwy started to veer NW from our SW travel but we continued SW onto FR009, also known as Pinto Road (dirt). After traveling SW for about 10 miles we reached the community of Pinto. It’s located in and surrounded by some nice green rolling valleys (6,000’ elevation). Almost all of the homes were huge and there were more kids running around that you could ever count! It was an interesting and scenic community, enough so that I did a little research on its history.

At Pinto we turned onto another dirt road (FR011) heading SES. After climbing another 1000’ or so through some mountains we arrived at Grass Valley, which is about 6 miles south of Pinto by the way a crow flies, or about 8 miles by road. Grass Valley is only a couple of miles north of Pine Valley. I’ve driven through Pine Valley many times and have always thought it would be a very nice place to camp and hike; but it’s a popular place so I’ve avoided it (partly because the dogs can’t run free). It’s around 7,000’ elevation and very green. Fortunately this route took us through Grass Valley, which I didn’t know about. It’s a very wide, flat, green valley with good access to off-road riding. Being Memorial Day, there were a few trailers scattered about but they all had plenty of distance separating them from the others. I would guess that on a non-holiday weekend it would be a great place to take the toyhauler. Leaving Pine Valley to the west took us to Central, Utah & Hwy18. We turned south on 18 and remained on it a little less than 6 miles before turning off of it at Veyo. We initially headed out of Veyo on W. Center Street; this took us through the town of Gunlock and by the Gunlock Reservoir. About 5 miles past the Gunlock Reservoir we turned right onto what used to be the old road between Mesquite and St. George, “Old US Highway 91”. This is the route everyone used before I-15 was built through the scenic section that now connects Mesquite & St. George. It was on this section, a little before the NV border that we caught up with the dude on the cycle towing the trailer, he said the trailer weighed just a little under 600 pounds. Old US Hwy 91 took us to Beaver Dam, then Littlefield. Instead of getting on I-15 we stayed on the old Hwy which runs along the south side of I-15, this took us to Mesquite. From there it was I-15 all the way home.
revans8787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:17 PM   #3
revans8787 OP
Desert Racer
Joined: Dec 2011
Oddometer: 5
Eh? Sorry for the mess up

For some reason my CDT Part 2 posted but not this part????
Anyway, you can find the end of this report in another thread titled CDT Part 2
revans8787 is offline   Reply With Quote


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:50 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015