Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2013, 07:04 PM   #46
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 757
Good to see a rider in the NWT's, it is definetly off the adventure riders radar, everyone goes to Alaska. Must admit they are 2 different trips, the scenery is totally different. If you venture off the highway to Yellowknife and go to Fort Smith through Wood Buffalo and then over to Fort Simpson you will experience tranquil beauty and no traffic.I saw 1 other bike in a 2 week trip this June and I fished every day also, it was great.
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 05:49 AM   #47
damurph
Cold Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,278
Thanks for the update. Good to hear sis is minding you well.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:11 AM   #48
squonker
Eat my shorts

Oddometer: 3,964
Yellowknife is the best place I've ever lived! I think about moving back daily - love that place! Enjoy your stay there.

Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2014 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:00 PM   #49
cberry OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Movin' On

The days spent in Yellowknife were terrific. I highly recommend it to anyone interested in seeing beautiful scenery and friendly people. My local travel over the weekend has some pictures but it will be a while before I can post them. Today and yesterday were the beginning of the trip home. I'm in Swan Hills, AB tonight after having spent another night with my best friends in High Level, Mel and Al due to their generosity. Swan Hills wasn't on the plan, but I'm here because my eyes started to burn and tear profusely during the ride. I elected to terminate. Good thing...I discovered a broken casting used to raise and lower the R1200RT's windshield. One broke last year, and now this one. Fortunately, JB Weld will save the day.

Yesterday both the bike and I took a nap, together. Neither is worse for wear. I was able to conduct an underbody inspection with great ease.

Today's challenge was a gaggle of geese (Canadian, presumably) on the road being attacked simultaneously by a RV from one direction and me from the other. All of us survived without any casualties.

I appreciate the favorable comments about Yellowknife, and agree wholeheartedly. Also good to hear from another Floridian MMasz. Giv'er, Murph!
MOA 94523
Indian Harbour Beach, FL
'06/'07....What a year it was! 49 States, 5 Provinces, AND New Zealand, North and South Island

cberry screwed with this post 08-24-2013 at 07:06 PM Reason: aded picture
cberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:05 PM   #50
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 757
Nice talking to you today, I see from your spot tracker you are in the Ranchland Inn in Nanton. I looked up rooms in High River for you and there were no vacancies due to the recent flooding , so it was a good call to continue on to Nanton. I have lived in Alberta all my life and have never been to Head Smashed In Buffalo Jump, let us know what its like!

Cheers
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:41 PM   #51
cberry OP
Gnarly Adventurer

August 1-3, 2013

On the 1st, I mostly rested. Ken and Faye showed me around town by auto. Something like 20,000 people live here, the largest city this far North. Much of the nearby land to the East is now wasteland due the resulting contamination from the operation of goldmines from the early 1900s until the mines were shut down in the 1990s. There is a residue of arsenic dust over everything. Even the “Company Town” housing been boarded up and put “OFF LIMITS”.

Time does not permit a detailed discussion of every picture. Sorry.

On August 2nd and 3rd, I did what we all do...went for a motorcycle ride, around town on the 2nd, and on the Ingraham Trail on the 3rd as far as I could without interfering with the road maintenance/construction. The roadbed was hardpacked dirt covered with gravel and I marked the end of my adventure with a Spotwalla position. This is the furtherest from home on this trip.

As I have noted on the trip North, the trees are getting smaller and smaller. Here’s a good example of how scragelly they can look.

Ken and Faye took me on a boat tour of the area too. We saw permanently moored houseboats, Yellowknife River Rapids, and beautifully clear water.

All in all: a great home stay with my newest best friends north of 60 North!
MOA 94523
Indian Harbour Beach, FL
'06/'07....What a year it was! 49 States, 5 Provinces, AND New Zealand, North and South Island
Old 08-09-2013, 06:54 PM   #52
cberry OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ride Report, August 4th, 2013

Starting the trip back to Florida today. On the way out of Yellowknife I saw this nice scene of a small village on the water.

And, a little further down the road, past the herd of buffalo i had seen on the way up, was this lone buffalo.

When I got into Al's neighborhood in High Level I couldn't find his house without looking up the address!
MOA 94523
Indian Harbour Beach, FL
Old 08-10-2013, 08:46 PM   #53
cberry OP
Gnarly Adventurer

August 5th: High Level to Swan Hills AB

A transit day, not a sightseeing day. Had some elevation changes today which affected the temperature. As the day wore on my eyes started to bother me. That and the increasing cloud cover had e stopping early in Swan Hills.

The right hand windshield bracket broke today and I attempted to repair it with an epoxy mix similar to JB Weld. Time will tell...
MOA 94523
Indian Harbour Beach, FL
Old 08-10-2013, 08:56 PM   #54
cberry OP
Gnarly Adventurer

August 6th, Snow HIlls to Nanton AB

By the time I got to Calgary I was tired! While takig a break I checked my phone messages and had one from Cal. We talked, and he suggested that I not stay in the town of High River because of recent flooding, so I went to Nanton and got a room at his suggestion. It was a good call.

Another transit day.
MOA 94523
Indian Harbour Beach, FL
Old 08-11-2013, 05:25 AM   #55
cberry OP
Gnarly Adventurer

August 7th: Nanton AB to Missoula MT

Up at 5:30. Checked and added oil to bring level up to top of circle (300 ml). Very foggy. Departure delayed until about 8:00AM. The wait for US Custons took about 30 minutes and the inspection went quickly.

Went through Glacier National Park...Talked into it by the admitting Ranger. Should have gone the other way (Rt. 2) to save a lot of time. However, the park was beautiful. Many delays due to road construction.

SPOT battery died during the day and I replaced it at my destination and sent an OK.

After Glacier NP the route took me past Flathead Lake, one of the 300 largest natural lakes in the world. Great views of the lake from the highway. It was cherry season and numerous orchards and fruit stands dotted the road.

Located the BMW dealer and looked for a nearby motel. On the 3rd try I got a room at the Super 8. Plan to have the front tire changed tomorrow morning and see where to go after that. Sturgis is this week and rooms are hard to find. Could not get a reservation at Ellsworth AFB, near Sturgis.

For anyone interested, The Head Smashed In Buffalo Jump National Park in southern Alberta is very worth the time to visit. This was my second visit. That should speak volumes. Cal---GO! Plan to spend 3 or 4 hours if you take it all in, or at least 2 hours minimum.

MOA 94523
Indian Harbour Beach, FL

cberry screwed with this post 08-25-2013 at 01:30 PM Reason: added pictures
Old 08-11-2013, 05:29 AM   #56
cberry OP
Gnarly Adventurer

August 8th: Missoula to Great Falls, MT

Up early so as to have breakfast before getting to the BMW dealer for a new front tire. Before leaving the motel I called reservations at the Air Base in Great Falls, MT and got a room for two nights. I need some catch-up time and a little break so I can think through the route home. Right now I have no plan.

The route from Missoula to Great Falls along MT Rt. 200 is spectacular. It follows a stream bed for miles then climbs up to over 5,000 ft, descending again to the 3,000 ft range. Of note, the lowest recorded temperature in the contiguous United States occurred along this road at Rogers Pass. That temp was -68.7 degrees F on January 20, 1954.

I wanted to take a couple of pictures today but the camera batteries died. Yesterday I used the spare batteries I carry with me to replace the SPOT batteries which also died. Fresh batteries in both pieces of equipment. Right after I saw a sign warning of Big Horn Sheep feeding along the road I saw two! The were smaller than I expected and looked more like “Spikey horned deer” than rams. The other picture I stopped to get was of rapids in a stream at a fishing campground. Not a campground like we see in Florida called a Fish Camp where snowbirds winter over in their RVs, but a real campground with transient sites. I saw more people fishing today in different streams than I can recall ever having seen before. Montana is definately for fishermen! And, other rugged outdoorspersons.

Another thing I saw today that caused a flashback were several sites which could only be old Miniuteman Missle sites, going back to the “Cold War” days. Checking further, I’m staying on the Air Force Base that is part of the command structure for those missiles even today. Will spend 2 days here at Malmstrom AFB to catch up on things.
MOA 94523
Indian Harbour Beach, FL
Old 08-11-2013, 06:05 AM   #57
cberry OP
Gnarly Adventurer

August 10th, Great Falls to Wolf Point MT

My route home from here has been the object of many of my thoughts while here in Great Falls. I’ve been watching the weather forecasts and concluded that the best route will be to stay North in the cooler air and wait for a large High to push through and bring better, cooler weather to the mid-continent of the country rather than suffer the current heat and rain. So, it’s US Rt. 2 across the country for now.

Sunrise on the Air Force Base

One of the several falls at Great Falls MT

A brief history of the Lewis & Clark Expedition

The river at Fort Benton

Downtown Fort Benton

My old shipmate standing in his front yard

Through a set of coincidences I was lucky enough to visit a submarine shipmate from 50 years ago. Jerry and Kathy live on a 1500 acre farm near Chinook MT and it’s right on the route! We renewed our friendship over lunch at the farmhouse and I was treated to a brief tour of the farm before departing again to the East. One of Jerry’s toys is a fully modernized Beech Bonanza model P35, very similar to the one Doug has in the Seattle area.

The plane looks like new and has been resident in the same hanger for 39 years. Kathy assisted my trip planning by getting me a reservation at a motel in Wolf Point after advising of the high prices further east due to oil operations.

Watching the weather, I could see that I was overrunning a severe storm cell near Glasgow MT so I stopped for a break. As I got closer to the storm the temperature dropped about 15 degrees from what had been hot and uncomfortable to something more reasonable. But, the wind! Must have been 20+ miles per hour right on the nose. Makes for a very noisy and buffeted ride.

This was August 10th, not the 9th.
MOA 94523
Indian Harbour Beach, FL

cberry screwed with this post 08-12-2013 at 06:24 PM Reason: Corrected the date and added photos
Old 08-11-2013, 08:05 AM   #58
squonker
Eat my shorts

Oddometer: 3,964
I'm glad that you enjoyed Yellowknife so much, it sounds as though your whole trip is fun!

Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2014 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:32 AM   #59
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,227
Great report. Inspiring to see you riding like this. I am 64 and riding a GT and a GSA, and wondering if it was time to hang it all up, but I think a ride to South America is in order...good luck with the rest of the ride home.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:42 AM   #60
MMasz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
It’s been hot down here too, so take your time, Chuck.
’00 BMR R1100R: in the past:'07 Suzuki DRZ400S; '95 BMW R1100RS- Stolen ; '88 Suzuki Katana 1100; '78 Suzuki GS1000; '76 Yamaha XS750- while parked, was totalled by an Army Gama Goat; '69 Bridgestone 200 Mach II; '69 Honda Trail 50.

MMasz screwed with this post 08-11-2013 at 12:32 PM
MMasz is offline   Reply With Quote