User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2013, 07:26 PM   #76
cberry OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Summary notes on the trip

The trip to Yellowknife and return was 49 days long and covered 12,000 plus miles on my motorcycle. Most of the bad weather that I encountered was here in Florida. It took 3 days to get out of the state due to thunderstorm shortened days and the return to Florida was also impacted by storms. On the rest of the route I don’t recall any significant weather issues other than the extreme heat we all experienced this summer. Certainly, heat was an issue for me until I got to Canada.

Cross country trips westbound are easier to manage because of the increasing daylight and the favorable zone time changes giving one an extra hour in the day. Eastbound, just the opposite occurs...shortened days at time zone changes and decreasing daylight riding against the sun’s apparent rotation.

When I have advance motel reservations or other commitments, I have to do whatever is required to make the schedule. Usually that means longer ride times and more mileage per day. Without reservations I plan to stop earlier, usually before 5 o’clock, to assure obtaining a room. Having that flexibility is important in areas of thunderstorms. Most of my days from start to finish are at least 8 hours long. I take frequent breaks and usually log about 5 or 6 hours of actual movement. Three hundred miles plus or minus depending on the type of roads being traveled seems to be about the optimum goal for me in a day. However, I did have 7 days where I rode more than 400 miles, the longest of which was 493 miles.

I have found that an early start is very important. I usually eat a light breakfast in the motel and plan my first rest stop about 2 hours into the ride. This, because the first 2 hours are usually the coldest, and I can adjust my layering accordingly. It also sets up a pattern of eating ‘off hours’ at restaurants.

Here are some statistics about this ride. To put these figures in perspective one needs to know that I rode by myself on the bike with significant luggage; tank bag, 49L top case, and saddle bags, all full, plus camping equipment. I’ve never weighed the bike loaded like it was, but I judge it to have been near maximum gross weight. The average fuel mileage for my 2005 R1200RT with over 100K miles on it was 45 mpg (Liters converted to US Gallons). My gas mileage decreases with increased speeds. I saw realtime mileages from the onboard computer vary from 52 mpg at slow speeds down to 38 mpg at higher speeds. Total fuel cost was $1152 in US Dollars, and that puts the fuel cost per mile at $0.095. The average cost per US gallon during the trip was $3.96 for US fuel and $5.47 for Canadian fuel converted to cost per US Gallon. Total miles ridden were 12,142.

Average miles ridden per day on moving days while going to Yellowknife were 297 and on the return they were 328. The difference is probably due to sightseeing stops on the way up and “get-home-itis” on the way back. Or, as we used to say in the Navy “Homeward bound turns (propeller speed)”.

While traveling I had one 6K service at a dealer, one front tire replacement, and one rear tire replacement. Now home, I need another rear tire and annual service. The only failure on the trip was the right side windshield upper bracket. (The left one broke last year) Non-OEM replacement parts are in hand. This plays out something like this:
R&R Pilot Road 3 rear tire plus new rear brake pads $357.18
102 K service $317.71
R&R Pilot Road 3 front tire $271.24
Overnight after market windshield bracket $127
Estimate for replacement rear tire $280
Estimate for Annual plus 6 K service $930
Total cost to return bike frame to ‘zero time’ $2,283: which is 18.8 cents per mile.

So.........for this trip the bottom line is that it cost about 28.3 cents per mile to operate the bike, including maintenance and fuel. I’m getting about 9,000 miles consistently on my Pilot Road 3 rear tires (sample size of 3). The front tires are inconsistent at 9,850 and 12,943.

If you would like to see all of the journey’s path, you can go to the spotwalla site https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php...c540909b2ddf1f and customize it. On the left side, note the”Adjustments” segment of the page. From the ‘History” segment select “ALL” and then in the “% Fill” select a number, I suggest 10% for starters. Then click “GO”. You can zero in on a specific ‘fix’ by clicking on it to see the particulars, then drag it to the center of the screen and zoom in to see the detail, switching between the “Satellite” view and the “Map”. You will be looking at my position as recorded every 10 minutes by my “SPOT” beacon and transmitted to a satellite where it was then plotted on the chart in real time.
MOA 94523
Indian Harbour Beach, FL
'06/'07....What a year it was! 49 States, 5 Provinces, AND New Zealand, North and South Island

cberry screwed with this post 09-04-2014 at 06:57 PM Reason: Corrected Info about SPOTWALLA
cberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:01 PM   #77
BaddAndy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by cberry View Post
Antique Fords at Eatonville
I was following this exact group of Fords until just before Eatonville on my way home that day.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:29 AM   #78
MMasz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
Great report! What did you do for your bike’s security those nights when you stayed at a motel?
’00 BMR R1100R: in the past:'07 Suzuki DRZ400S; '95 BMW R1100RS- Stolen ; '88 Suzuki Katana 1100; '78 Suzuki GS1000; '76 Yamaha XS750- while parked, was totalled by an Army Gama Goat; '69 Bridgestone 200 Mach II; '69 Honda Trail 50.
MMasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:40 PM   #79
cberry OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
For security I usually try to park under the front entrance roof at motels that have such a thing and park in front of my room at motels that have that configuration. And, I cover the bike...I think out of sight is out of mind. No other extraordinary measures are taken other than to remove the GPS.
MOA 94523
Indian Harbour Beach, FL
'06/'07....What a year it was! 49 States, 5 Provinces, AND New Zealand, North and South Island
cberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:34 PM   #80
bdolnik
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Looks like one hell of a ride!

Welcome home.
bdolnik is offline   Reply With Quote