User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2014, 09:32 PM   #1
JerryH OP
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,838
300cc scooter, or Honda CB300F?

So Honda has a 300cc single cylinder motorcycle for about $2000 less than a 300cc scooter. It has real gears, and a chain drive. No belts to break, and has a much lower bottom gear than a CVT. Of course you have to shift, and the seat is harder to get on than a step through scooter, though not nearly as hard as an XT or any other dual sport. Has about the same riding position as my Enfield, hopefully a better seat. Maintenance is easy to do, even the valves. Should be freeway capable.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 09:46 PM   #2
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,378
And?
villageidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 09:56 PM   #3
longhaul747
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
So Honda has a 300cc single cylinder motorcycle for about $2000 less than a 300cc scooter. It has real gears, and a chain drive. No belts to break, and has a much lower bottom gear than a CVT. Of course you have to shift, and the seat is harder to get on than a step through scooter, though not nearly as hard as an XT or any other dual sport. Has about the same riding position as my Enfield, hopefully a better seat. Maintenance is easy to do, even the valves. Should be freeway capable.
This will be an interesting thing to debate.

In my personal opinion I still side with the 300cc Forza scooter despite its higher price. The scooter is going to be more comfortable at least for most people. It is far more practical when it comes to storage. Likely has less required maintenance over the long run and the belt is no big deal since chains need to be replaced as well. You get a much bigger and practical package and you only give up a bit of MPG's over the 300cc geared bike.

Both are Honda's and both should provide years of service. The CB300F is a tremendous value no doubt. However its an apples to oranges comparison but overall again I side with the scooter as still being the better choice. My Forza 300 can climb anything with authority (even popped a wheelie when pulling out of my parents steep driveway on the Forza) so the CVT is a non issue other then being slightly less efficient way to deliver power. Because of this I can only squeeze about 67 MPG out of my Forza but on my CRF250L I get 74 MPG. I am thinking the newer and slightly larger 300cc engine would be pretty close to the same MPG as the 250cc version. Probably a few less!
longhaul747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 12:16 AM   #4
JLP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot View Post
And?
^^^Funny.

You know, I have a bunch of bikes with pedals. Some of them have gears, some of them have fenders, some go off road, some fold, and some carry cargo. They cost different amounts! Hard to believe.
JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 01:33 AM   #5
gunnabuild1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 676
I've had the same question.
Gears don't bother me,I live in the burbs so stop start traffic isn't an issue,to be honest I kinda like the idea of gears on my scoot just for the higher top speed.
Depends on your reason for purchase if a regular commute is your purpose than the scoot wins hands down,protection from the elements and practical,realistically useful storage.
I suspect the maintenance would be similiar after all doesn't the belt require replacement more often than a well maintained chain?If paying a dealer for servicing the labour cost for removing the bodywork has to count.
I have questioned this between these 2,the scooter I have http://www.scootersales.com.au/news-...50-review.aspx
and this http://www.yamaha-motor.com.au/produ...15-yzf-r15-v20
Same capacity for all intents and purposes but the scoot has a top speed of maybe 90k's with an 80k cruise whereas the R15 will cruise at 110k and use less fuel both are cheap as chips.
A top box will add some storage but the scoot already has that plus the seat bucket.And I am constantly amazed at how useful the flat floor is as a load carrier.
On a completely different slant I suspect I would be more concerned about wearing gear on something I viewed as a motorcycle rather than a scoot.
The road doesn't see a difference simply my perception.
gunnabuild1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 02:49 AM   #6
fast1075
Fasterizer

Oddometer: 150
To me the questions are: Twist-n-go with storage and EZ mount and dismount, OR gears and no storage/throw a leg over.

I resolved the conflict by owning a scooter and a bike.
Old 10-16-2014, 02:57 AM   #7
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,579
i like the motorcycle. i have not revisited the 'lost my scooter mojo" thread but it should be a good read

but anything much bigger or heavier than a 150cc scooter should be a motorcycle imo. well not in reality. but in my own personal reality. it would be my choice

but then again, i am thinking as someone who would choose a motorcycle. but what of storage? and the auto trans? comfort? i find my motorcycle more comfy then any scooter i ever rode. but i never rode a vespa 300 or maxi scooter. or even something like a 200HD. so who knows? but i find a motorcycle seating position preferable

well jerry, do you want a scooter or a motorcycle? if the motorcycle, ride that bitch. if you don't feel like riding it, and just going to putter around, get the scooter

yeah i know, this motorcycle is not a rocket or anything. but it has a good engine and gears. so you may as well use 'em. if you're not going to use 'em and you see a motorcycle as an impractical chore, get the scooter, twist 'n go easy and comfort and some onboard storage to spare. and a 300cc would be just as well as the motorcycle. if not quite as lively

but do you want lively?

edit: i think the post above mine said all i did....but in two sentences, not 100

honestly i do think its a question of how you want to ride. you're an experienced enough rider to figure that out, jerry. it can be said you can always ride a motorcycle like a scooter, but you will never ride a scooter quite like a motorcycle. ever, most likely. they just operate differently. and deliver the power differently, too. riding both now i fail to see how shifting could be a factor unless physically limited some how. in which case a scooter makes great sense

but otherwise what will it be, jerry? scooter or bike? you know what they are, how you gonna roll??

DudeClone screwed with this post 10-16-2014 at 03:15 AM
DudeClone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 04:06 AM   #8
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeClone View Post
but anything much bigger or heavier than a 150cc scooter should be a motorcycle imo. well not in reality. but in my own personal reality. it would be my choice
Me too. A 300 cc scooter is a step-thru motorcycle, no matter what you call it.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 04:16 AM   #9
bikeridermark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,160
Here you go Jerry. Your third choice and perfect for you!

Disclaimer.. May not climb Pike ' s Peak.

bikeridermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 06:40 AM   #10
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeridermark View Post
Here you go Jerry. Your third choice and perfect for you!

Disclaimer.. May not climb Pike ' s Peak.

In the words of the great fozzy bear, wacka wacka!
villageidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 06:42 AM   #11
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,181
Is a button down long sleeve shirt better than a polo shirt?

Is a socket wrench better than an open end?

I can buy a bicycle at walmart for $99. It has 21 speeds and shiny paint. Why would anyone buy a Trek or Cannondale at 5x the price?

I believe the answer to all of the questions above as well as is a 300cc motorcycle a better choice than a 300cc scooter that costs more is "It Depends".

I could easily argue that neither is the right answer. At $3999 price with fees and taxes that CB is going to cost well over $5k out the door.

If value is a real concern go to Craigslist and tell me you can't find a bigger, faster, higher quality USED motorcycle or scooter for less than $5k. You can find a used HD200 for $2k. Would a new CB be worth $3000 more? How about a used majesty or a used burgman 400 or a Honda Reflex, or a used Sportster or a used DR650. For goodness sake, these crazy comparisons are useless.

The short answer is that CB will suck if used as an urban commuter. If you live in the frikkin desert, are retired, and don't need to run errands on it it'll be brilliant. Lastly, what will either do that your current list of motorcycles aren't capable of?

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 07:57 AM   #12
Oldenuftaknowbetter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
In this particular case it probably comes down to which will be easier to convert from EFI to carburetor.
Oldenuftaknowbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 03:35 PM   #13
Eliter85
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
I'd buy 6 Honda elites.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:25 PM   #14
garzan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Just bought my wife the 300f, and we already had scooters. When we run errands we use the scooters. When we ride for fun we use the bikes. Are we planning to carry stuff or just ride? Each has its place.
garzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 07:13 PM   #15
syncro87
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Neither.

I'd buy a PCX 150 and the nicest used Honda Pacific Coast you could find for $4k. You could find a real nice one for that price.

You'd be in for about $7k all told and you'd have a nice mix. PCX for everything in town, and PC minus the X for anything distance. A PCX150 would be better in the city, overall, than a Forza. The PC would blow the Forza or the CB away on the road. Your $7k investment would cover any kind of riding you'd want to do. Also, you could haul a passenger on the PC light years better than either of the others.

If you bought the PCX used, you could be in the $2k range, so your total outlay would only be $6,000. That's a lot of capability for 6 grand.

Sub in a used ST1100 for the PC if you like. Should still be able to get a nice one for 4 grand.

Alternately, for one bike, split the difference and get a CB500x.

To answer your question, though, within your parameters of only the Forza or CB, and you could only have one, I'd say CB. The scoot is nice, but if I only had one two wheeler, it would be a small or midweight standard.

A lot depends on where you live and what roads you typically ride.
syncro87 is offline   Reply With Quote