Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2014, 08:54 PM   #316
DOUBLE-O G OP
Smooth Operator

Oddometer: 2,432
I'm at about 90 miles or so right now. The fuel gauge looks like it's on empty but the fuel light (if there's one) isn't on yet. The fuel tank is only 1.1 gal. The bike is rated at over 130 mpg but I have been riding it pretty hard. I'm thinking about the Grom right now as some owners reported really low fuel mileage. So... How much more should I go?... I probably should be riding the wife's. She hasn't ridden hers since we came back from Mexico.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:04 PM   #317
longhaul747
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by gore-tx View Post
I'm at about 90 miles or so right now. The fuel gauge looks like it's on empty but the fuel light (if there's one) isn't on yet. The fuel tank is only 1.1 gal. The bike is rated at over 130 mpg but I have been riding it pretty hard. I'm thinking about the Grom right now as some owners reported really low fuel mileage. So... How much more should I go?... I probably should be riding the wife's. She hasn't ridden hers since we came back from Mexico.
If I were you I would probably go ahead and be conservative by topping it off. That way you know how much it has burned in the first 90 miles and you can use that as a baseline for future estimates.

Honda fuel gauges tend to have conservative empty marks but I would not push it until you reach "E" a few times. Also even though this class of bike is really economical it may not reach full efficiency until it has broken in some.

I also expect the bike to deliver better MPG's on the good Mexico gas if it still had some from delivery. I bet they don't put ethanol in the fuel down there.
longhaul747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:25 PM   #318
DOUBLE-O G OP
Smooth Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhaul747 View Post

I also expect the bike to deliver better MPG's on the good Mexico gas if it still had some from delivery. I bet they don't put ethanol in the fuel down there.
The dealer only put 1 liter in the tank but I gassed both of them up before we left. I have to say that I didn't check to see if there was ethanol in the gas and I didn't ask anyone either.

But yes, I should probably be a little conservative at this point.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:50 AM   #319
DaBinChe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by gore-tx View Post
What was your GROM mpg? When I had a SYM Symba I got 100mpg with wringing the shit out of it.
DaBinChe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:54 AM   #320
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 3,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBinChe View Post
What was your GROM mpg? When I had a SYM Symba I got 100mpg with wringing the shit out of it.
Are you the one that did the trip to Alaska?
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 01:01 AM   #321
DaBinChe
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwheelies View Post
Are you the one that did the trip to Alaska?
yeah
Old 03-20-2014, 01:06 AM   #322
DaBinChe
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhaul747 View Post
If I were you I would probably go ahead and be conservative by topping it off. That way you know how much it has burned in the first 90 miles and you can use that as a baseline for future estimates.

Honda fuel gauges tend to have conservative empty marks but I would not push it until you reach "E" a few times. Also even though this class of bike is really economical it may not reach full efficiency until it has broken in some.

Also since it is FI the fuel pump is in the tank and it needs gas to keep it cool so if you run it dry you will can damage the pump or the very least shorten it's life.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:11 AM   #323
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 3,473
Quote:
yeah
Thought I recognized you from Red's pics.
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 01:21 AM   #324
DaBinChe
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwheelies View Post
Thought I recognized you from Red's pics.
Will be heading up there again this summer for scooter cannonball
Old 03-20-2014, 05:58 AM   #325
DOUBLE-O G OP
Smooth Operator

Quote:
I was always around 115 mpg on the Grom but the tank is half a gallon more than the Super Cub.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:58 AM   #326
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,483
40 degree F, overcast, drizzle weather, I took a 100+ mi. trip from Valley Forge, PA to Hoboken, NJ on my Chinese SuperCub clone. Mostly country backroads, last 30 miles or so was just pinning the throttle at 50 mph. due to highway traffic flow..

Other than my luggage getting blown over by cross wind and burned a hole against the exhaust, the Chinese scoot performed flawlessly, even ran through a handful of potholes at 40 mph that bottomed the suspension.

105 mi. journey, filled up twice along the way, .42 & .45 gal. each.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:00 AM   #327
DOUBLE-O G OP
Smooth Operator

Quote:
Will be heading up there again this summer for scooter cannonball
I heard about that: you guys will be riding on small scooters from Alaska to Louisiana for the Vespa rally, am I right? I think there's a guy right here in San Antonio that will be doing it. Don't know his name though.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:47 AM   #328
domingo3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Thumb

OP,

You are now my hero for pulling this off. I've been thinking for years about trying to do this. If I thought I could register it in the states, I would encourage you to get into the import business and buy one from you.
domingo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 01:38 PM   #329
DOUBLE-O G OP
Smooth Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by domingo3 View Post
OP,

You are now my hero for pulling this off. I've been thinking for years about trying to do this. If I thought I could register it in the states, I would encourage you to get into the import business and buy one from you.
If I could, I definitely would! I have to say, if I could have bought more, I would have. It wasn't that difficult at all. I can understand that not being able to register the bike is a turn off. For me, I don't care.

I know Honda is supposed to make another big announcement in early May (I think May 5th?). Who knows what they will bring?
Old 03-20-2014, 06:51 PM   #330
scottro
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020 View Post
40 degree F, overcast, drizzle weather, I took a 100+ mi. trip from Valley Forge, PA to Hoboken, NJ on my Chinese SuperCub clone. Mostly country backroads, last 30 miles or so was just pinning the throttle at 50 mph. due to highway traffic flow..

Other than my luggage getting blown over by cross wind and burned a hole against the exhaust, the Chinese scoot performed flawlessly, even ran through a handful of potholes at 40 mph that bottomed the suspension.

105 mi. journey, filled up twice along the way, .42 & .45 gal. each.
How does the China Clone SuperCub compare to an original 80s era Passport quality-wise? Where'd ya get it? How much was it? Did you have problems registering it in PA ?