Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2013, 07:57 PM   #16
rokklym OP
one man wolfpack

Oddometer: 4,399
So after we parted ways after the crash, we had a decision to make, do we continue on with the route, or do something else. THis particular day of the route is a seriously long day, and with the time we lost, completing it was highly unlikely. We were now down to 3 riders, Twin Headlight Ernie, Hipster and I. We decided to try to make our way towards Wall South Dakota, where we had initially planned to stay.

We ended up coming to a gas station that was on I90, and we topped of our tanks and Hipster was gung ho for finishing the route, Ernie and I weren't so sure. At this point, nothing has gone right so was is worth it to keep heading further away from home. A few tense moments of thought and we all decided we had to try, we had to give it a shot even if it didn't make sense.

We pull into Wall late in the afternoon, got cleaned up and headed towards downtown Wall for supper. When we were on the way to Wall, I got a call from Chris, the KLR rider who went with Rob to the hospital. He wanted to know what our plan was, and if it was to finish the ride, then he would meet up with us. Chris decided to put the hammer down and meet us in Wall.

Our campsite, the Sleepy Hollow Campground right in town, pretty decent spot!

Chris showed up after a very long day, and commenced to get camp set up in the dark and do a little bike maintenance.

The rest of the night went well, and we got up in the AM and packed our gear. Just as we got done packing, it started raining and rained hard. We decided we might as well hang out a bit in town and get some breakfast and see if the storms would blow over.

Rumors were that there was ping pong sized hail in the badlands where we were heading, so there was no hurry.

Goofing around at Wall Drug

With everything that had happened, tension was high and the weather wasn't helping anything. Weather is crap, nothing is working out, and its really losing its fun factor.

We decided to take off, regardless of the weather. Once we hit the "gravel", the roads got bad. They had some serious rain out here and riding the gravel was like riding sand, anything under 45 is just about impossible. I stopped a few miles down the road and we were short a rider. I went back to the last place I saw him and he wasn't there, I knew what happened, he bailed.

Now, here I sit, thinking if I should bail as well. This wasn't fun, in fact it just plain sucked. We were on the last day of a 700+ mile route and had only really done maybe 200 miles of the route. The remaining two riders came back to where I was and we talked. We pretty much said, screw it, we are going to at least make it to the Dakota Dual Sport Riders (DDSR) rally in the Black Hills.

I was glad to make it to Scenic for a second time on the KTM.

Hipster in the Hoosegow!

On to the Black Hills..
Chad Berger DR650, KTM 990 Adventure R
Lone Wolf Expeditions
rokklym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:15 AM   #17
InTheMuck
So it goes...

Oddometer: 293

Truly an "Adventure". It is amazing how many things went wrong in such a short time period, and I'm impressed with your tenacity to keep going

“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list."
InTheMuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:40 AM   #18
Zaboo65
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
Subscribed!

Sounds like quite the adventure! I'd like to ride this some day but hoping for better luck. Also, more KLR pictures!

I enjoyed your previous SDAT report also, read it last night. Wonderful photos.
Trans WI 2011 | UPAT BB Fall 2012 | UPAT BB June 2013
Zaboo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:50 AM   #19
rokklym OP
one man wolfpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheMuck View Post

Truly an "Adventure". It is amazing how many things went wrong in such a short time period, and I'm impressed with your tenacity to keep going

Yeah, it was pretty crazy! It seemed like we were all doing different rides, even though we were all trying to do the same ride. I'm not sure if it was tenacity or stupidity that kept us going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaboo65 View Post
Subscribed!

Sounds like quite the adventure! I'd like to ride this some day but hoping for better luck. Also, more KLR pictures!

I enjoyed your previous SDAT report also, read it last night. Wonderful photos.
Thanks! The TSDAT really is a great route, most people think most of South Dakota sucks, but its really an interesting state full of some really great people! I'd highly recommend doing the route, or even the new 800+ mile Western South Dakota Adventure loop that is in the works.
Lone Wolf Expeditions
Old 07-08-2013, 01:10 PM   #20
Bultaco206
Back-to-back motos suck

Oddometer: 1,209
You really need to connect all of these...NWAT, UPAT, TWAT, SDAT...
Old 07-08-2013, 01:27 PM   #21
rokklym OP
one man wolfpack

Here is a link to the 850 mile Dakota Adventure Loop
http://rapidcityjournal.com/news/loc...61de16602.html

www.dakotaadventureloop.com
Lone Wolf Expeditions
Old 07-08-2013, 03:26 PM   #22
Gale B.T.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,373
That was one adventure filled trip. Sure hope Rob is healing quickly and totally.

Thanks for a neat RR and some of S D that I have not traveled. I can only imagine how awesome that 9fiffity sounded out there in those rolling hills. I will never forget refusing to pass two 9fittity as the 3 of us returning from AK on the Cassiar/37 in BC for I was totally loving the sound.

Thanks again for the RR
Gale B.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:22 PM   #23
Hipster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,628
Problem #2 was temporarily solved with Chad towing Rob's GS to bump start the bike.

Old 07-08-2013, 05:50 PM   #24
rokklym OP
one man wolfpack

Ah, the Black Hills. Amazing landscape with stunning views...Yeah, you really didn't think we would get that did you? No, we ride through Rapid City and get on Nemo road and head into the fog and rain.

We arrive at the Fish-N-Fry Campground where the Dakota Dual Sport riders were having their rally.

Pretty cool rig here! I really need a 4Runner.

Next door to the campground was a pretty sweet vacation home.

Saw my first punk duck!

The rest of the day was spent BSing and hanging out. A few adult beverages may have been consumed as well

The next morning we woke to rain, and today was our scheduled departure day so we packed up in the rain, said goodbye and started the long ride home. Hipster left about half an hour before us and was able to make it all the way back to Minneapolis that day.

Chris and I spent the day riding to Sioux Falls, pretty much a full day of this.

We got to Sioux Falls around 6:30pm and Chris said he was snagging a hotel room and going to relax. I could have made it home by 11:30, but a quick look at the radar showed that it would probably be all in the rain and heavy storms. We holed up in Sioux Falls for the night, then went our separate ways.

This ride certainly didn't go as planned and it was a struggle just to maintain a good enough attitude to keep going. I have been out there enough that it really wouldn't have broke my heart just to call it off on the 2nd day after Rob's crash, but I'm glad we rode it out to the Black Hills. During the whole trip, everyone we met was super nice, and I can't thank Mr. Tough (yep, thats his name) for dropping everything he was doing to haul a stranger to the hospital that is 40 miles away.
Lone Wolf Expeditions
Old 07-08-2013, 05:51 PM   #25
rokklym OP
one man wolfpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster View Post
Problem #2 was temporarily solved with Chad towing Rob's GS to bump start the bike.

Problem #3 was unwrapping the broken tow strap out of my rear wheel!
Lone Wolf Expeditions
Old 07-08-2013, 06:52 PM   #26
tedmarshall
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 480
Great report Chad

I'd have enjoyed that ride. Some of your pics, like the twisty gravel road near a brown river, looked like the Outback.
Ted
tedmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:09 AM   #27
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Oddometer: 5,175
SO, you haven't seen the trick with rear wheels touching and both bikes on center stands starting trick? Never tried it, but I've seen it on the youtubes.

Can you direct me to a good map for the Trans SD route? I am trying to put together a Trans Nebraska route, and since that one has a dip into NE, I will have them cross there for the folks that like options

In short, adaptation is the precursor to growth and seeking out difficult, uncomfortable and challenging situations accelerates development, enriches our lives and provides us with the kind of awesome fucking memories that will sustain us until a final sleep rounds our little lives.
BLOG
fifthcircle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:30 AM   #28
azredline
Wobbly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
Nice RR!

Thanks for posting your ride. Glad you made it to your destination albeit a couple riders short.

I'm a native of SoDak, Rapid City, so grew up riding in the Black Hills. Your photos bring back alot of nice memories.

As to the people, they know how to help each other and strangers out there in the farm lands. Always hear nothing but good stories about them.

Well done!

PS - do you have a link to the dual sport club in the hills?
Old 07-10-2013, 10:28 AM   #29
rcniss
Not that way!!

Oddometer: 392
Great pictures as usual Chad! Sorry to hear that the trip was not the best. I have the TSDAT on my list for next summer. Looking forward to it! Now do I take the Tenere or the 950 hmmmmmmm. . . . . .
rcniss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:34 AM   #30
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 8,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by azredline View Post
PS - do you have a link to the dual sport club in the hills?
http://www.dakotadualsportriders.com/