Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2013, 09:36 PM   #76
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,271
I use a pneumatic impact to lock the cartridge in the bottom of forks.
The other end of the cartridge uses a thin wrench ( 17 mm I think) You only need to tighten hand tight with 2 wrenches and do not worry.
Make sure you pump the forks with caps on but outer fork tubes collapsed to get all the air out of the cartridges

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:23 PM   #77
GoneAgain OP
Huh?

Oddometer: 1,563
Indy, does this look like its the 'wrong washer? (should it not be a bit tighter on the cartridge?

Rider101... is your the same??

thanks...

GoneAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:01 AM   #78
Rider 101
Wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 804
washer

GA,
I haven't had time to do anything other than unpack. I have an earlyish day tomorrow so I will post any info I can gather by 5:00pm.

Looking at the photo I would guess it is the same OD as the spring. As the cartridge is held in the bottom of the fork tube with the socket head screw and the other end is screwed into the pre-load screw in the fork cap it should be centred in the fork assembly. The washer in question should be a reasonably snug fit in the fork tube so won't rattle around. That is only my opinion at the moment. I am aiming to strip and re-assemble Friday afternoon / Saturday morning.
Rider 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:47 AM   #79
GoneAgain OP
Huh?

cheers Rider, i've got mine all together and in...

(still have to put front wheel on and do a couple of other things before going anywhere, and darkness has beaten me today..

But....

if you get the chance, just have a look, there is already a washer fed over the cartrige when packed.. so you should be able to see, without even taking it out of the bag if it fits snug onto the cartridge top or flops about like mine...

btw, it doesnt fit snug in the shock tube either, but i'm ok with that for oil flow...

cheers....

Old 08-15-2013, 03:08 AM   #80
Rider 101
Wannabe adventurer

can't wait

Can't wait to get the spanners out! Work is going to keep me from any decent rides until late November but I will be able to slip a sunday in occasionally. It will be interesting to note the changes.

Keen to hear how you go
Old 08-15-2013, 05:39 AM   #81
GoneAgain OP
Huh?

yeah but...

but tell me about your lower spring washer.....! fark...............!
Old 08-15-2013, 06:37 AM   #82
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

washer looks right to me.

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
Old 08-15-2013, 06:45 AM   #83
GoneAgain OP
Huh?

ok, cheers Indy... i've put it in.....

and sent an email to traxxion asking the same...
nearly midnight here so ... tell ya the reply tomorrow..

Old 08-16-2013, 12:47 AM   #84
Rider 101
Wannabe adventurer

assembled

Ok GA,
got home at 2:30pm today and proceeded to remove the forks etc. That took all of 15 minutes. The forks came apart in another 10 minutes. So far so good.
A quick clean and check of the lower fork tube in readiness. All good.
Slipped the cartridge in the fork tube. Fitted the new screw and old seal washer in the bottom of the fork leg, tightening only with 3/8" ratchet and inhex socket. Put in the oil to the recommended height ( 115 )mm ) and bled the air out of the cartridge. ( about 20 strokes )

Dropped in the spring on top of the washer in your photo ( which wasn't very different from the OEM fit up ). dropped in the spring with the rubber ( plastic ) guide with the washer fitted. Threaded the lock nut all the way down the damper rod and put the small spacer on top of it. Dropped the aluminium pre-load tube on, prepped the fork cap ( backed out the black socket head screw as per instructions )

I tried screwing the fork cap on the damper rod but I needed a third hand ( think my left hand isn't as strong as it was ) so I called for Louise to help. Got it all together in about 30 minutes.
Repeated on the other leg.

Did you compare your assembled fork with original? It looked to be around 5mm shorter. I don't think it will be a problem as I can lower the fork in the triple clamp a little.

The forks are back in the bike ready for torqueing and fitting the wheel and brakes tomorrow.

I hope to go out for a quick run tomorrow afternoon to see what they feel like. have you tried yours yet? Does your fit up sound the same as mine?
Old 08-16-2013, 01:11 AM   #85
GoneAgain OP
Huh?

yep, sounds the same...

except you didnt mention filling the forks all the way to the top and pumping them to bleed the actual forks....

and yeah, i noticed that the new one was a little shorter than the old...

oh and i emailed Traxxion to check the washer was the right one.. got a 'yeah, it looks funny, but it works' reply...

think a snug one would be better, but whaddaiknow...

been bucketing down non stop here today so havent been about to get the powertools out to finish off a couple of other things on the bike to take it for a spin...

caps look sexy in the bike but
Old 08-16-2013, 01:17 AM   #86
Rider 101
Wannabe adventurer

oil bleed

I didn't fill right to the top of the inner tube. I had to remove about 50mm of oil with syringe after bleeding. I couldn't see the point in over filling them to the top.

Got some fencing to finish in the morning then finish off the bike ready for a quick ride. Will let you know how they are tomorrow night ( before Bledisloe )
Old 08-16-2013, 11:50 PM   #87
Rider 101
Wannabe adventurer

first impression

Finished of the fencing this morning and then set about finishing re-assembly. Everything back together, torqued up, loctited, adjusted etc. Set the preload at the recommended 7 turns in and compression and rebound at 2 turns out.

I went for a quick ride to get an idea of the difference. On tar road it appears a hell of a lot stiffer. The rough surface of the road is transmitted through the bars. The first noticeable big difference is when you grab a handful of front brake. There is a lack of dive which at first felt a little odd. I had grown accustomed to looking at the front wheel when applying the brakes. After a couple more braking trials I started to think this is good .

I now started to look for pot holes, square edges and any rough bits on the side of the road. I handled everything with ease. I took a detour up a side road that I new would be rutted, corrugated and washed out but alas, council had been over it with the grader.

So am I happy with the Traxxion cartridges? On first impression . I was a little sceptical of the remarks made about the standard set up but after a quick ride I can see they were justified. I can't wait to get it out on some rougher dirt roads and fire trails.

The only problem now is the rear!!

I will try for a decent ride in a couple of weeks but work is going to get in the way.

GA, would like to hear your thoughts.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:51 AM   #88
GoneAgain OP
Huh?

weather has been so crap here i havent had much of a chance...

i did get half an hour in off rd yesterday, but it was slow going in mud n water etc..

but yeah... first up it was way too hard.. turn em out one turn and heaps softer... rolled back up another quarter turn and seems ok... havent played with pre-load yet... but thats next..

squeezed a quick 20 min bitumen run in today... me main concern was 90km/hr wind and hail.... but all that aside it did seem a lot smoother...

sorry i dont have much to say... havent really had a chance...

i am doing 600km tomorrow on the bike so that will give me a better idea and a chance to fiddle

Old 08-18-2013, 12:26 PM   #89
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

If you used the 7.5W oil as they recommended and you are finding harsh high speed compression. switch to a light 5W ( Amsoil makes one) That drastically improves any harshness on high speed over speed bumps.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:47 PM   #90
machinebuilder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,041
I ended up about 2 1/2 turns out on the damping from where Traxxion had set it, I hardly feel the square edge potholes now