User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2013, 06:42 AM   #1
theshnizzle OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 893
Trans taiga/ dirt noob/ bad idea?

So this is what I am thinking.....James bay road ,blah,blah, but while I am up there,may as well head east to the end. But....I am still getting comfortable on gravel,and let me tell you the progress is very slow going, and,well, is it complete and utter folly for me to try and ride it?

I am not relaxed on gravel ect even though in my helmet I am telling myself to relax,loose grip,hug tank,ect ect but I can just feel my whole body give a great sigh of relief when I roll back onto Tarmac.

Anyway......I figure head straight into the mouth of the dragon( my dragon) suck it up buttercup and all that. I can always turn around if its to much but I would hate the feeling of failure.

And,yes, I have been riding some gravel roads,what I can find that suits my riding level but a lot of the roads are quite sandy( eek!) and I did take a little road that seemed so innocent but turned into an up and down rain rutted,sandy, rock strewn nightmare.

I was shaking for half an hour after that. I was on my f 650 GS with luggage on this effing road that the crf 250s ride with full knobs,BUT I didn't fall off but I didn't like it one bit.

So,thoughts on the tt,will I be biting off Waaay more than I can chew? I have read RR and there seems to be issues with sand holes that can throw you off.

Bike will be 2003 f 650 GS with Tourances. ( of course,my next tire choice I am saving for a whole OTHER post! But for now,lets assume,Tourances.
theshnizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:03 AM   #2
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 9,002
Here's a ride report I did a few years back...
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=506183

Road is pretty easy for a gravel road, long but easy.

Have a good trip

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:37 AM   #3
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 4,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
Road is pretty easy for a gravel road, long but easy.
i can agree with that, given you have the right bike and it's decently prepped...and hit the road when the surface is in good shape.

if it's raining, the graders have the roads churned up for 150km, and there's no traffic, then you have grabbed a beast by the tail.

lots of reading available.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:28 PM   #4
tedmarshall
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 520
Do It

Take your time. Carry lots of fuel. Route Du Nord was the real rough road IMHO.
tedmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:03 PM   #5
theshnizzle OP
Studly Adventurer

So aside from the soft sandy sections, all the pucker moments, bikes going down, you WOULD recommend a novice on tourance tires to go for it?

It looked to me that you all had at least 50/50 tires mounted and I am assuming you all had off road experience,but the ride/ road was still a challenge?

I dont mind going for some risk but not beyond what I can cope with on my own as I would be riding solo.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:10 PM   #6
nick949eldo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 884
Trans Taiga etc.

What is your experience of being alone? How comfortable are you with your own company? How resourceful are you? How much experience have you of the Canadian bush? What's your pain tolerance like? Had much experience with biting flies (millions of them)?

These are a few of the questions you need to be asking yourself. Its not about the right tyres or the 'right' bike. Those are irrelevant considerations. Any bike will do. Its about you.

Let's say you hit a patch of loose gravel and have a little off and bang up your hand. You can no longer operate the throttle mechanism (which is damaged anyway!). Can you cope? There may not be another vehicle along until tomorrow. No cell phone service on the Trans-Taiga!

As you can see from my sig. these are not questions I avoid - but psychological preparation is far more important than mechanical.

My recommendation - get entirely comfortable on gravel (wet, freshly graded, deep, loose, sandy etc. etc.) and spend lots of time getting used to your own company before heading out on one of the most isolated roads in North America.

Then you'll probably be fine. Lastly, having said all the above, trips that don't involve a bit of risk aren't worth the effort (IMHO), but like a good boy scout - its you that needs to be prepared.

Nick
nick949eldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:53 PM   #7
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 9,002
Inexperienced
Solo
No knobbies
Most remote spot in North America

Hmmmm....your either the kind of guy who will go or your not. Go slow, take your time....dont be afraid to turn around if you aren't comfortable. Personally I would put knobby tires on and go for it

Have fun

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:28 PM   #8
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 4,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedmarshall View Post
Route Du Nord was the real rough road IMHO.
that road wasn't too bad when i went through, plenty of traffic.

so noob gravel man, here's your new plan. route yourself up the Route du Nord, it's not that long, and if you don't like it, turn left at the top, go home.

if you do manage the conditions without scaring yourself to death, continue north and run the Trans Taiga.

get those TKCs, Mefos, or other knobby tires on there. if you can't spring for a set at the moment, at least get a knobby front. stay light, don't bring the damn kitchen sink.

consider scheduling the trip later in the season when the bugs are on the decline, like mid august.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:10 AM   #9
theshnizzle OP
Studly Adventurer

Well i always travel ligbt, i think i had one of the least laden bikes at d2d last year. Not to shabby for a chick rider.... and i was on the road for a month camping and not eating in restaraunts.

I am going to think about it, july is better for me but not your concern.are the bugs hideous in july?
Old 07-05-2013, 05:03 PM   #10
tedmarshall
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 520
What JDROCKS said

I did Trans-Lab 1st time on V-Strom w/ stock tires. Not fun. 2d time did it on KTM 640 fitted w/ DOT full knobs=fun.
tedmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:40 PM   #11
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 7,030
Buy a steering damper