User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2014, 03:20 PM   #1
Airbornne OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Monterey to Eureka and Crescent City

This Labor Day weekend I decided to head north on my BMW 1150 RT. I got a little liquored up on Friday night, so my departure Saturday was 9:30 instead of 6. My route was Hwy 1 north through San Francisco towards Eureka. The ride up 1 was beautiful, but slow due to Labor Day traffic. I didn't make it to my camp site until 10 at night. I set up camp and crashed. My trip up was the longest day ever riding and my knee was killing me. I am an old paratrooper from the 82nd Airborne and the knees are a little rough. I crossed over to Hwy 101 and was heading north into the redwoods on long, dark sweeping turns. I kept wondering when I would hit an elk........ The next day I woke up and fired up the bike and headed deep into the redwoods. There was a place called Fern Canyon and they said it was 10 miles of dirt road and a small creek crossing. Hell, I always wanted a GS, but my RT would surely take me where I wanted to go. Going up and down gravely, slick dirt roads for many nerve racking miles I came to the creek crossing. I got off, found the best route through and went for it! It would have been nothing for the GS, but I pushed through. I think I deserve my ADV sticker now!! Once at my objective, I snuck up on an elk. I went back to camp that bight, had dinner, showered and popped more Ibuprofin. The next day, I hopped on Hwy 101 for a straight shot home. The trip back during the daylight was fantastic as I was jamming along the most beautiful and long right and left sweeping turns. Now I remember why I have the RT. Made it home safe and sound. I really need a GS.........
Right before San Francisco.

My Camp site

My 1st creek crossing. I say first because I had to come back through!

Elk anyone? I could have put a saddle on him.

Redwood

Heading back home
Airbornne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 03:24 PM   #2
RBnite
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
I have crossed creeks on my Harley Nightster, you deserve your ADV sticker!
RBnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 03:42 PM   #3
rollinrob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,557
Camped many times at Fern Canyon. Did it on the Bandit 1250. Did you do Avenue of the Giants?, it's nice.

My landlord was Army Airborne, went in right after Korea and spent 39 years before retiring. Not sure witch Airborne division he was in, guess I should ask him, he was an officer, not sure what rank.

rollinrob screwed with this post 09-03-2014 at 03:52 PM
rollinrob is offline   Reply With Quote