ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2013, 07:50 PM   #76
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,200
I was going to throw in my 12x12 canopy, depending on how the movers leave it after the packing days. Talked to the doc today and hey said realistically the bone is not going to displace at this point.. unless I go out and try and ride... so my mobility is getting better... I will still be on crutches most of the time.. but at least now I can put some limited weight on the leg.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:56 PM   #77
akarob
Green Cantern

Oddometer: 7,579
I'm planning on bike camping this weekend, so no massive shelter. I can bring a tarp, zip ties and rope, we won't be totally without shelter. Besides, I may actually just choose to sit in the rain at that point.

In other news, operation "Clam Dig" was a reasonable success. I actually got more oysters than hard-shells this time. They're in the fridge and they'll hold just fine until Friday.
akarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:47 PM   #78
MATPOC
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 927
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcontrast View Post
fuck this hot weather! I think I may bring a kayak also, along with the bike. Perhaps a morning ride and an afternoon paddle... I may actually have access to a few other boats that are near the campground. If anyone is interested I can check. My parents have a kayak (or two) and a canoe and are located just south of Wyassup lake.. Assuming they'd be fine with lending them out it would be easy to run down and haul them back up to Green Falls..

I don't know if Rob or anyone is planning to bring a big tarp for group shelter in case of a rainstorm so I'll throw mine in my truck with the rest of my junk in case we need it. It sounds like some good downpours are likely sometime Friday / Saturday..
i can drive down in my giant truck, can fit few small boats on the roof racks
MATPOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:54 PM   #79
alcontrast
at least I'm trying

Oddometer: 1,570
Way to heal up MrT! Faster than I expected.. I'd say leave the 12x12 packed up. You don't need to be lugging that thing around with a bum knee days before moving. I can bring my tarp and some poles and cover a couple of picnic tables..

Same goes for Rob... I saw you had mentioned bike camping but then you were talking about bringing a cooler full of seafood so I wasn't sure if you had different plans now.. My tarp isn't quite as large as the one you usually bring to the CnR's but it should get the job done. It's the one I used at Devils Hopyard last year.

on a side note my ammo can based winter tent stove project is coming along.. I still have a little ways to go but hopefully I will finish it before the weekend so I can use a night at the campground to break it in.. Breaking it in means firing it up so it gets as hot as it will ever get to cure the new paint and burn off any other garbage including the galvanized coating on the stove pipes..

https://picasaweb.google.com/1034770...eat=directlink
< There's a couple more photos of the work in progress with more to be added soon.. This is mostly a prototype.. When the prototype is finished I think the design will work pretty well but I already have a few upgrades planned for my second version.. In the photos above the legs are not yet attached, the closing mechanism for the door isn't attached, and there are a few other things to be done yet..

When in doubt, gas it. It will either fix the problem, or at the very least end the suspense.

07 650GS / 05 DRZ400S / 72 CB350 (that hasn't run since shortly after I bought it)

alcontrast screwed with this post 07-16-2013 at 09:23 PM
alcontrast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:59 PM   #80
Happy Seal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,538
That is cool!
Old 07-16-2013, 09:58 PM   #81
akarob
Green Cantern

Just what we need, a stove.

In December, you can set that up in my 8 person tent. I'll make a hole for the chimney.

Seriously though, what are you going to heat with that? Or is it more for cooking than heat?
Old 07-16-2013, 10:27 PM   #82
alcontrast
at least I'm trying

Oddometer: 1,570
The stove is more for heat than cooking but it should be able to boil 2 cups of water in around 20-30 minutes of normal use..

You pretty much nailed it though.. It would be for heat while winter camping in at least a 3 person tent with a "stove jack" installed to accommodate the stove pipe.. The stove is about the size of a big loaf of bread.. It's not huge but it would definitely negate the desire to take a hot stone from the camp fire ring, wrap it in a towel, and bring it into your sleeping quarters for heat...
I don't have any real plans for it but it's a fun project.. I'll probably buy a winter tent that's mainly for use with the stove if I build a stove I like.. The stove is the cheap part.. I'll worry about finding a tent to use with it later..

When in doubt, gas it. It will either fix the problem, or at the very least end the suspense.

07 650GS / 05 DRZ400S / 72 CB350 (that hasn't run since shortly after I bought it)
alcontrast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:01 AM   #83
lester3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
floating

sounds good .. I would be up for some kayakin if its not to much trouble . I can bring the fishing gear
lester3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:36 AM   #84
Rhode trip
guided by voices

Oddometer: 830
We're back. Mrs Trip and I rode a total of 1,345 miles over 10 days. Meanwhile, this seems to have turned into the '2013 camp 'n paddle' thread. Do I need a motorcycle to attend?
Seriously, its way too hot around here to sleep in a tent.

http://www.LapelPinPlanet.com
Rhode trip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:47 PM   #85
lilolita OP
fahr mit mir

Oddometer: 1,362
gaaaah, it's so hot

I actually muttered these words to cheesebot: "I don't even want to make a fire at the CNR."
New England to New Scotland

lilolita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:38 PM   #86
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilolita View Post
gaaaah, it's so hot

I actually muttered these words to cheesebot: "I don't even want to make a fire at the CNR."
You mean the Camp'n'sweat?
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:10 PM   #87
lilolita OP
fahr mit mir

Oddometer: 1,362
I was talking kiddie pools at school today, and when I expressed concern over how to fill it at a campground where I would have to schlepp water from a handpump, a colleague suggested I consider carrying "solid water" (in other words, ice) to fill it.

Right now, that ain't sounding so crazy. Will this fit on the back of the Honda Elite (since the DR is in pieces)?

New England to New Scotland

lilolita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:21 PM   #88
go2cnavy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 513
I'll be there early Saturday morning on the skinny bike. I can't stay too long since I'm leaving in a week or so for Spain. I'd like to get a solid ride in before lunch.

990A / 450 EXC R/ 250 EXC/ 450R - for sale
go2cnavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:43 PM   #89
akarob
Green Cantern

I took the kayak out and caught 3 dogfish (sharks) about 2 feet long and one black sea bass under a foot. No keepers this time.

The temps are not bad at all after the sun goes down. Quite comfortable tonight out there. Taking advantage of the pond during the day will be key though. I'm looking forward to some great weather for the weekend.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:07 PM   #90
tmlee
Enigma

Oddometer: 522
Is anyone heading to the campground early Friday, or late Thursday to grab some sites? I am off from work and can meet you there and grab another site or two.

Terry
- Robert Frost

tmlee screwed with this post 07-18-2013 at 06:29 AM
tmlee is offline   Reply With Quote