Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2013, 12:40 AM   #1
bj4x4 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
First Bike Advice

Hi,
Well i'm thinking of getting my first bike latter this year and have been doing abit of research on these forums for which bike to get. Im after a bit that can do some trail riding on the weekend but is still able to do the long trips. I don't want somthing that is nuts on power and has really short service intervals. Bikes i've been thinking of are the bmw Xchallenge, Husky te610 and maybe the ktm 690 enduro. At the moment i'm probably leaning towards the BMW mainly due to the longer service intervals and it being probably the most sedate power wise. Other bikes i've looked at are the klr6 650, dr650 and drz400 but these just don't seem to get the "i Really want That" feeling when i look at them haha. Also don't really like how the drz400 looks when loaded up, it seems to be abit overwhelmed. I'm pretty open to other suggestions at the moment. Also im 6'4 and 120kg if that helps at all.

Cheers,
Matt
bj4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:07 AM   #2
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 9,503
There are literally hundreds of threads that address this exact same topic.
Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Off the grid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:15 AM   #3
bj4x4 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
tried a search but nothing came up which i found odd, as usually there are heaps on this type of topic
bj4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:26 AM   #4
jtw000
Survivor

Oddometer: 542
Yeah this comes up a lot and even though it would be easier to actually help out and give some advice, most people will shoot you down for asking one of the most important and basic questions.
The X-challenge is a great choice with a good spread of abilities. The one big thing against it is availability, they're getting a bit hard to find otherwise it will tick your boxes nicely. Also look at the X Country, that was outsourced to China in 09 and was in production longer although that version is a little lower than the 07 version. The Husvarna Terra was very similar. It was the same engine and a lot of other parts, slightly breathed on to get a little more power. It's far less ugly-looking than BMWs too (hey, I have a Country, I love her but looks.... not her strong suit).
The GX platform does have its weaknesses. They have a painfully small 9 litre tank but that should see 100 miles before the warning light comes on, another 20-25 after it does. That actually brings it on a parr with the Yamaha 660 with a much bigger tank and it performs better. It's never been a huge issue but you're going to have to deal with it on longer trips and there are many tried and tested methods. The seats all suck, they're not built with your comfort in mind and the suspension is a bit less than you might expect. The 07 versions all have an alloy rear subframe which limits the sheer amount you can load onto them if you're thinking of side boxes, etc. If you buy Touratech boxes they actually do a kit with a steel subframe but it's not cheap. The later, 09 Country does have a steel subframe but the rearpegs are built in so some luggage racks don't fit.
I had a KLR and found the experience painful. It was not built to the same standard as Euro bikes and the power was way down. I've had a go but never owned a DR. I didn't like it so I know where you're coming from here. A friend has a Honda XR650, not my cup of tea but he does impressive things with it offroad. He does virtually no maintenance too and it keeps on going. It's also worth considering the BMW G/F650 GS (depending on year, the single was originally called F and now G) or the Dakar/Sertao versions with 21" instead of 19" front wheels and slightly better suspension. They're more road oriented but more comfortable to ride. The Dakar was a very well set up bike, ideal for heavy all-round use.
Good luck. Hope this helps.
jtw000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:47 AM   #5
Bucho
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,726
Long trips and trail riding huh? Good thing you arent asking too much from your bike...

If you have the money look into the KTM 690. Suspension is pretty good and the bike is a powerhouse for a single. It should being loaded down on the highway just fine.

I have no experience with the BMW but I always kind of liked the Xchallenge.

Ive had DR650 for years and though its no KTM, I still cant say enough about it. It used to be my only bike. With properly set up suspension it did surprisingly well offroad, single track and all. But picking up any of these heavy beasts offroad is a chore.
The KLR is much heavier and I wouldnt advise it if you want to do any really tough offroading. Though its a great cheap light weight adventure touring bike. (I personally think a DR with an larger fuel tank, small windshield, and aftermarket seat is way better)

What ever your decision consider getting a second wheelset. I used to run a motard (17" steet rubber) for 80% of my riding. Commuting, backroad blasting, light offroading. But for any hard core offroading I swap out wheels and put some good knobbies on.
Bucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:17 AM   #6
montesa_vr
Legend in his own mind

Oddometer: 1,876
When Honda unveiled their 4-cylinder CB750 in 1969, some wondered if it was too powerful for mass sales. Now you want to buy a KTM690, which has more horsepower than a CB750, but weighs almost 200 pounds less, as your very first motorcycle. I'm sorry for being stuck in the past, but that sounds like a prescription for skin grafts and broken bones to me.

Buy a dualsport in the 200 to 250cc range, or better yet, buy a 250 or smaller dirt bike and just ride dirt for a year before you buy a street bike. Then get whatever you want.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:28 AM   #7
Powderaddict
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by montesa_vr View Post
When Honda unveiled their 4-cylinder CB750 in 1969, some wondered if it was too powerful for mass sales. Now you want to buy a KTM690, which has more horsepower than a CB750, but weighs almost 200 pounds less, as your very first motorcycle. I'm sorry for being stuck in the past, but that sounds like a prescription for skin grafts and broken bones to me.

Buy a dualsport in the 200 to 250cc range, or better yet, buy a 250 or smaller dirt bike and just ride dirt for a year before you buy a street bike. Then get whatever you want.
Great advice.

Another option is to get a small cheap street friendly bike like a Ninja 250. You can find one used for a song and a dance. Spend a summer on it, and learn what you like.

Often the kind of riding you think you will like and the kind of riding you actually like are completely different.

If you get something old and small, it will be easy to handle, cheap, and if you drop it no big deal. If you don't kill it or break it, you most likely will be able to sell it for about what you paid, or close to it. Then you will have a better idea where you want to drop your bigger dollars.

previous: Suzuki Intruder 1400, KLR 250, KLR 650, Ninja 650r, Triumph Sprint ST, Yamaha Seca II, Yamaha XS650, Suzuki TS185
Powderaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:28 AM   #8
Ever Onward
Time Killer

Oddometer: 605
My first bike was a Kawasaki 90, I had some epic getoffs and went through a few pair of handlebars and fenders in the first couple months. I was able to heal quickly at 15 years old though !

Now add 600cc more and make it a modern Katoom, factor in the intertia of a guy 6' 4" and I bet were in for some interesting posts in "face plant".

Yep, lotta ambition till the first few yardsale cartwheels.

Smart thing would be riders school and a 200.
Ever Onward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:19 AM   #9
Bleemus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 794
Hayabusa. Put knobbies on it. Great first bike.
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:14 AM   #10
montesa_vr
Legend in his own mind

Oddometer: 1,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Budget View Post
My first bike was a Kawasaki 90, I had some epic getoffs and went through a few pair of handlebars and fenders in the first couple months. I was able to heal quickly at 15 years old though !
My first bike was a Hodaka Ace 100 B. I managed to bend the forks, bend the wheel, bend the handlebars, break the frame and do various other damage to the motorcycle without seriously injuring myself. (Actually, most of that I did without even crashing.) Then I got the Montesa and immediately gave myself a concussion and a broken shoulder in separate crashes with no damage to the motorcycle.

Fortunately, all of that was in the dirt. I never had an accident in traffic, so I am still alive to tell stories.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:30 AM   #11
Ever Onward
Time Killer

Oddometer: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by montesa_vr View Post
My first bike was a Hodaka Ace 100 B. I managed to bend the forks, bend the wheel, bend the handlebars, break the frame and do various other damage to the motorcycle without seriously injuring myself. (Actually, most of that I did without even crashing.) Then I got the Montesa and immediately gave myself a concussion and a broken shoulder in separate crashes with no damage to the motorcycle.

Fortunately, all of that was in the dirt. I never had an accident in traffic, so I am still alive to tell stories.

Ahh yes, the newbie learning curve is allways entertaining ! Two years after the 90 and a few bikes later, I had to have a year old RM 125 in 1978.

Learned to race MX and gained alot of dirt skills in the process. Then got stupid and got a RM 370 ! After a month of near death practice sessions, sold the 370 and went back to the 125. Raced happily ever after.

Alot of us from "back in the day" made a steady progression from bikes 100cc and less , on up through open classers as time went on.

Allways makes me giggle when new guys want a CBR 600 or a R 6 for their first street bike. Same goes for dualsports over 350. Sure ya can, but the inevitable is gonna bite ya sooner than you thought, and more often than you imagined.
Ever Onward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:37 AM   #12
multiphrenic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Let's start with the basics. What's your budget?
multiphrenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:42 AM   #13
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,088
Or better yet, a rocket 3 with knobbies.
What could go wrong?

You should start on a wr250 or an old DR350, but a rocket 3 scrambler would be more interesting to read about what happens...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
Hayabusa. Put knobbies on it. Great first bike.
NJ-Brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:21 PM   #14
DYNOBOB
lucky dog

Oddometer: 796
I think your size (6'4"/265lbs) is a big factor in the decision. You can handle a larger bike off road than a smaller guy and need a larger bike to be comfortable covering distance. Unless you're planning on doing single track you may want to look at a nice used F800GS or KTM 950/990. I do have a friend who's about your size and he is comfortable on a TE610 w/ a tall seat concepts seat, but he never rides any distance on the road.

Good luck!

DYNOBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:51 PM   #15
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,249
he's kinda describing the KLR. the seat & suspension are fixable. mebby a DR.... kinda the same, with a more dirt slant. both work right out of the box but better with a few fixes. get one of these.... flog it for a while & move on (or not).

I agree with Montessa...... ktm690 as a first bike will be expensive in both dollars & skin

mebby keep an eye out for the CCM450 due out soon.... the xchallenge engine in an ADV frame

Beezer screwed with this post 07-05-2013 at 06:20 PM
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote