Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2013, 04:59 PM   #16
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,396
I think the OP is too big for a DR. Granted, the DR is the best "dual" sport bike out there, but it's smallish. Some of those things can be addressed with bar risers and lowered pegs, but that may still not make it a perfect fit for a giant like the OP.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:37 PM   #17
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
Well the immediate response I had was a WR250R but then I see you weigh in at 264 lbs. At 6'4 you will probably need to consider ergo's of each bike and you will probably need to change a few things on any bike you choose in order to get comfortable. I would say KLR. Never owned one but they have a huge following with guys just getting into adventure riding. Someone else may have better advice but that's my take.

Edit: the 690 Enduro is an awesome bike but I agree with the previous poster, its definitely not in the "first bike" category. That bike will teach you a few lessons....quick.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:32 PM   #18
Team Vegas

Oddometer: 210
I have to say if I could only have one bike it would be the 690 you'll grow into the power and you'll want more power. Its the best all around bike it'll keep up on the street and lead on the dirt and if it doesn't work for you it'll have good resale value.

Just my opinion I'm sure others will think differently
Team Vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:08 AM   #19
bj4x4 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
well after much convincing from my dad and after reading all the posts i think a old dirt bike may be the way to go before i go and jump on a big thumper. Will probably get a old tt350 or somthing like that to learn some basic riding skills on. My offroad skills shouldn't be too bad as i'm a pretty competent mountain biker so i'm hoping some of the skills i have learnt there should cross over. Anyway thanks for the replies and i will post back in here with my wicked new adventure bike i might get in a year or so ..
bj4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:51 AM   #20
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by bj4x4 View Post
well after much convincing from my dad and after reading all the posts i think a old dirt bike may be the way to go before i go and jump on a big thumper. Will probably get a old tt350 or somthing like that to learn some basic riding skills on. My offroad skills shouldn't be too bad as i'm a pretty competent mountain biker so i'm hoping some of the skills i have learnt there should cross over. Anyway thanks for the replies and i will post back in here with my wicked new adventure bike i might get in a year or so ..
Smart move....and welcome to the world of empty wallets!
Old 07-07-2013, 03:38 PM   #21
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by bj4x4 View Post
An old, air-cooled dualsport would be my recommendation. You're big enough to handle something like a DR650SE, XL600, or KLR650 if you're starting out in the dirt, and they don't really have enough power, or shocking power delivery, in stock form to be crazy on pavement. The power delivery of a 2-stroke 250 dirtbike, coming into the powerband, can easily put you on your butt...or worse. Even a 250 dualsport can put you into a tree at high speeds, but the delivery is usually a bit more manageable than with a plated 200cc+ enduro racebike.

Take a BRC to learn basics, then practice the drills and ride some trails...until you can control the bike without having to think about it while you negotiate the crazy drivers in traffic.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote