User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2013, 09:52 AM   #1
Kiwiplum OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
want to buy a bike in Guatamala

Arriving in Guatemala in Nov and planning to do 3 weeks or so of Spanish lessons- either Antigua or Xela. Ticket is booked and paid.

During this period I will buy a bike in preparation for a two month tour of CA.

Looking to buy around a 200cc bike ( possibly new) and then sell it when I finish

Most of my riding will be on tarmac At 64 , insurance and attitude limit my off road ventures. I have toured Europe, Turkey, Morocco, New Zealand and SE Asia in the past four years on my V strom 650/1000 and cycle. This trip will be followed by a 6 month SA tour in 2014.

Quite like the look of the Qingqi 200 enduro as I think the Honda 125 may be a bit small for me (6ft 2in , 100kg)

I am open to ideas

Many thanks in advance for any responses

Regards

Peter
Kiwiplum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:43 AM   #2
moheybee
bzzz

Oddometer: 87
Any interest in a 640cc?

Have you talked to the guys at CATours in Antigua yet? I've found them to be helpful in pointing me in the right direction when I have a question and they'll take you on awesome tours as well if you want to attempt riding up a volcano :)

(Taz from MotoMundo in Antigua is usually another great resource and sells bikes on consignment, but he just closed up shop for two or three months while he is in Spain.)

I'll let others share their advice beyond that as I'm pretty new to Guatemala and will be in the same position as you once I get my CA-plated KTM 640 Adventure sold.
moheybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:47 PM   #3
Mayamoto
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Ktm

Hey moheybee, I might be interested in your KTM. Can you give me some specs?
Mayamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:57 PM   #4
Mayamoto
n00b

Dr 350?

Hi Peter, I live in Antigua and I have a Suzuki DR 350S. It's a 93 model and has approx. 7000 original miles. The bike is in excellent shape, fully serviced and has good tires. I'll even buy it back from you when you leave the country, so you don't have to go through the hassle of putting it in your name. Interested?
Old 07-22-2013, 11:04 PM   #5
Kiwiplum OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayamoto View Post
Hi Peter, I live in Antigua and I have a Suzuki DR 350S. It's a 93 model and has approx. 7000 original miles. The bike is in excellent shape, fully serviced and has good tires. I'll even buy it back from you when you leave the country, so you don't have to go through the hassle of putting it in your name. Interested?
Thanks for the response.

Yes I could be interested but Iwant to travel outside Guatemala and my resarch suggests I need ownership

What price you looking at?

Peter
Old 07-23-2013, 08:14 AM   #6
Mayamoto
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiplum View Post
Thanks for the response.

Yes I could be interested but Iwant to travel outside Guatemala and my resarch suggests I need ownership

What price you looking at?

Peter
Registering the bike in your name is a good idea if you plan to travel outside Guatemala, I can help you with that. I'm asking US 2500 but I'll buy it back, so it's like your renting it.

Btw., some friends and I do lots of motorcycle tours around the country, you're more than welcome to join us.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:07 AM   #7
Kiwiplum OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayamoto View Post
Registering the bike in your name is a good idea if you plan to travel outside Guatemala, I can help you with that. I'm asking US 2500 but I'll buy it back, so it's like your renting it.

Btw., some friends and I do lots of motorcycle tours around the country, you're more than welcome to join us.
Many thanks for your kind offer.

I get to G in November and will probably go to Xela for Spanish lessons. Like to have a good look at the market before I make a buying decision

Regards

Peter
Old 07-24-2013, 08:02 AM   #8
Mayamoto
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiplum View Post
Many thanks for your kind offer.

I get to G in November and will probably go to Xela for Spanish lessons. Like to have a good look at the market before I make a buying decision

Regards

Peter
Sure, no problem.