User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2013, 11:33 AM   #1
moulin6801 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
BMW 800GSA or wait for the KTM1190R ??

Hey guys, I know that most people compare the1200GS to 1190 but since I am thinking in getting something lighter than my 2012 R1200GSA, I was thinking of trading for the new 800GSA (not 800GS). But as I was looking at the specs , I notice that seems to be only 5lbs difference from KTM 1190 !! Now if I could have something as light as 800 with the power of 1200 it would be great. Is it the KTM???
I guess I am just getting the itch to trade ... :)
800GSA is here now, but KTM 1190 will have to wait till December at the least to arrive in USA... no hurry though... still loving the R1200 GSA, it is only that I hurt myself last month keeping up with some smaller bikes offroad, KLR, KTM990, and other smallers, my was the biggest. I was doing good for a while till the crash on muddy spot...
I have been riding from 35 years, Harleys. the last 15ys, never offroad till bought the GSA and loving it now!! Finding myselft taking fewer long trips and spending more time on trails.... I guess having small kids are keeping me from travelling more anyways....but that's another story.. :)
I would appreciate any other thoughts/ advise and some feeback on BMW 800GS and from the KTM 1190R owners!
Thanks in advance!!
moulin6801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:44 PM   #2
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,324
It really depends what you priority is. If it is to have 450kms + fuel capacity than get the GSA, if you want more power, torque and still keep a big bike than take the KTM. Wait for a test drive to make your decision. Even if it is on a normal 1190. You'll have almost twice as much power with the KTM :o). A lot of fun :o)
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:23 PM   #3
pilesofmiles
Life is an Adventure

Oddometer: 711
Just buy both that will resolve the issue..
Old 07-05-2013, 03:22 PM   #4
moulin6801 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
How I wish I could have more than 1 bike.... wife tells me that I can have only 1 of each toy.... or I would have 2 boats also! :)

Now... long distance is not an issue... never been close to need the extra fuel that my 1200GSA carries.... just want something more ninble offroad, but I don't want 650 neither.... It would be for sure the 800GSA, but KTM seem to make sense also, specially if it is as "light" offroad as people say it is.... Anything easier than R1200GSA would do...
Cheers
moulin6801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:33 PM   #5
pilesofmiles
Life is an Adventure

Oddometer: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by moulin6801 View Post
How I wish I could have more than 1 bike.... wife tells me that I can have only 1 of each toy.... or I would have 2 boats also! :)

Now... long distance is not an issue... never been close to need the extra fuel that my 1200GSA carries.... just want something more ninble offroad, but I don't want 650 neither.... It would be for sure the 800GSA, but KTM seem to make sense also, specially if it is as "light" offroad as people say it is.... Anything easier than R1200GSA would do...
Cheers
I hear ya...my last bike was the 2011 R12ADV, a great bike in its own right but heavy as a freight train at least for the type of riding I am into now. The KTM 1190 is a great looking bike or sure. My issue with my 08 990 Adventure was the lack of a dealer support where I live, few and far from me. A great bike more for off road than on IMHO. I am totally enjoying the 2014 F800 Adventure...the gas mileage is great...55 mpg. I fill up in the morning and don't think about fuel the rest of the day, nimble and lots of fun!

Sounds like you have a personal choice to make regardless of a thousand feedback posts, it goes without saying you will find many interesting keyboard "self proclaimed expert opinions" here in the asylum....I say ride what you like and like what you ride or sell it and buy something else.

Best of luck with what ever you choose!

Cheers!

pilesofmiles screwed with this post 07-06-2013 at 11:02 AM
pilesofmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:37 PM   #6
fractalsource
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
I bought the F 800 GSA. My thoughts? I like range. Going far on a tank of gas. I hate having to always plan my ride around gas stations. As far as the KTM: Why all the horsepower needed? I enjoy a little less of a hair trigger on my throttle. I'm no racer. I like to feel safe. -So does the KTM have "Enduro Mode?" The one thing bad that I can say about the F8 is the suspension bites. Unless you are a skinny little dude.
I'm putting racing suspension on mine, tomorrow.

?Enduro mode? which optimizes ASC traction control and ABS on loose surfaces.

photo mine2_zpsf67d40fe.jpg

PS- I have never ridden a KTM - but I have a feeling, the seat hurts.

fractalsource screwed with this post 07-05-2013 at 03:54 PM
fractalsource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:48 PM   #7
precarious
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 554
Reliability and problems of the 800GS are well documented. They're great bikes with limited new surprises. The 1190 is an all new mystery. I, personally, have a certain paranoia about first-year models. I realize it's pretty hard to buy a bad vehicle these days, but I still like to let something get a few years under its belt.

The other thing is dealer network. How far are the closest respective dealers from you? Even if you do all your own service, if there's an electronic problem, the dealer's pretty much your only option. Might not be a big deal for you, but something to think about.

The third option, of course: practice more on the GSA. They are very nimble bikes in capable hands; I've seen it for myself. I couldn't believe my eyes. If you have the time, you could try doing one of the BMW off-road schools. There's one in NY, there may be one closer to you, not sure. Also, what kind of tires did you have at the time? If your serious about the dirt, get some Karoos or TKCs if you don't already have them. That could solve everything.

There's always a lot to think about with making a move. Good luck deciding, and report back. What a problem to have, right?
precarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:55 PM   #8
precarious
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by fractalsource View Post
I bought the F 800 GSA. My thoughts? I like range. Going far on a tank of gas. I hate having to always plan my ride around gas stations. As far as the KTM: Why all the horsepower needed? I enjoy a little less of a hair trigger on my throttle. I'm no racer. I like to feel safe. -So does the KTM have "Enduro Mode?" The one thing bad that I can say about the F8 is the suspension bites. Unless you are a skinny little dude.
I'm putting racing suspension on mine, tomorrow.

PS- I have never ridden a KTM - but I have a feeling, the seat hurts.
The KTM does have multiple power modes and ABS settings.

The KTM seat probably hurts, but my F8 seat hurt, too. It was horrendous!

Nice Adventure
precarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:55 PM   #9
Gustafson78
n00b

Oddometer: 4
i like this,

Gustafson78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:09 AM   #10
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,633
Step 1. Riding buddy buys KTM1190Adventure R.

Step 2. Take him up all the trails he couldn't catch you on when he was riding his rally prepped Sherco.

Step 3. Repeat.

After a few rides it will become apparent if KTM are on a winner. Then I will find the funds if I need to.

I'm looking at you, Pete. Pack the first aid kit.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:25 AM   #11
casperghst42
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
I was at the TT travel event, and we ran into Joe Pichler (paid by KTM to trash their bikes on long trips)... and had a fairly long discussion about the 1190Adv. In his eyes it's easier to ride than the 990Adv. due to the different modes. Also he (yes he) said that the only thing he never have had problems with is the electronics, but then again he's paid by KTM.

I tried the 1190Adv (not R), and there is something about that fly-by-wire thing, I can't put a finger on it, but it's unnerving, but then again there have to be someone to help you controlling 150bhp offroad....

Casper
casperghst42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:43 AM   #12
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Went on a Snowy Mountains Highway loop today with Pete on his 1190R.

Short version, it shits all over the F800.

No comparison on tar.

On wet dirt, KTM on standard tyres I worked the F800 as hard as it was going to go. We crossed the Brindy (red clay based loggers Rd) road at straight to gaol speeds.

Bitter disappointment.

I can only hope the off road tests go my way. Other wise I'm going to be poorer.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:32 AM   #13
GeckoRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 444
Looking forward to hearing about the dirt ride. Be sure to pick it up off the ground a few times to let us n00bs know how much effort it will take every time we drop it.

If it is favorable I might look at next year or the year after that as a new ride. Need to wear out my current ride for ROI and I'd rather pay cash for a new set of wheels.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:37 AM   #14
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oh the bitter bile of disappointment.

The Kato is just lovely. Pete is still running it in. Didn't go above 5000rpm, with the traction control set to ice which limits HP to under 100. Still couldn't catch it.

He's getting some knobbies, then we'll go play in the dirt properly.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:14 AM   #15
PPiA
Pete

Oddometer: 1,181
After I've run it in...!
PPiA is online now   Reply With Quote