Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2014, 04:09 PM   #1
Swashbuckler OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
Bike won't start….This is killing me!

05.5 950A 64kmiles

Bike died on me after an hour long ride. Electrics would turn on, but it wouldn't attempt to start.

I replaced the starter solenoid = no help

I removed and cleaned the ignition and it started up!

After riding it all day, I went back out to the garage to take it for a sunset ride and the bike wouldn't start again. The electronics would come on, but it wouldn't attempt to start.

I checked all the fuses, took apart the ignition switch again, and looked at all the wiring even though I have no idea of how to check wires. I've pulled and pushed and turned all the wiring trying to make the bike do something.

I finally replaced the fuel pump last night with my spare facet. It's a facet mounted underneath the battery. After replacing it I turned on the bike and didn't hear the fuel pump prime, but IT STARTED!!! I did this a few more times…still not priming but the bike was starting. I was able to rev the bike and everything seemed fine so I put the fairings back on and the skidplate.

I went back out today and it's not starting again?? The electronics turn on, the fuel pump DOESN'T prime, but it still tries to turn over. Eventually the battery couldn't attempt to turn it over anymore and now I just hear fast clicking noises coming from the battery.

What am I missing here?

Previous Bikes: 2010 KTM 690 Enduro R / 2009 F800GS / 2010 Triumph Daytona / 2004 CRF450R - Supermoto / 2007 GSXR 750 / 1991 Yamaha XJ600 Secca II
Swashbuckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:14 PM   #2
canadasax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
My 950 (2005 1/2) was starting to act up like yours.
The problem turned out to be the side stand switch.
I bypassed it and I have never had a problem since.
Let us know what the problem was when you get it fixed.
canadasax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:20 PM   #3
canadasax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
I just re-read your post.....at the beginning it sounds like the bike won't turn over, but at the end of the post you say the bike will turn over but won't fire.
I might be mis-leading you with the side stand switch
canadasax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:45 PM   #4
windblown101
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
I'm thinking you may have created a 2nd problem trying to solve the first one.

The symptoms you describe before replacing the fuel pump sure sound like an intermittent side stand switch issue as the post above mentioned.

The issue you describe now after replacing the fuel pump sounds like a fueling issue. You said the fuel pump was a spare. A known good spare? Power getting to it? Pinched fuel line?
windblown101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:52 PM   #5
laramie LC4
crash test dummy!

Oddometer: 2,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by windblown101 View Post
I'm thinking you may have created a 2nd problem trying to solve the first one.

The symptoms you describe before replacing the fuel pump sure sound like an intermittent side stand switch issue as the post above mentioned.

The issue you describe now after replacing the fuel pump sounds like a fueling issue. You said the fuel pump was a spare. A known good spare? Power getting to it? Pinched fuel line?
+2

side stand to start with, then a new fuel issue.

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
laramie LC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:33 PM   #6
Swashbuckler OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The sidestand switch has been disabled. I took off the plug connection tonight and there was quite a bit of dirt in there, but nothing was corroded or looked bad. I cleaned it out and put some grease in there.

Maybe someone can lead me to a tutorial on how to use my multimeter to check wiring? I've googled it and can't find out how to pull a plug and check to see if it's getting power. I'd like to be able to check the wires, and check to make sure the new fuel pump is working because it came as a spare that looked new, but may not have been. It definitely didn't look like it was ever mounted, but I'd still like to check.

Previous Bikes: 2010 KTM 690 Enduro R / 2009 F800GS / 2010 Triumph Daytona / 2004 CRF450R - Supermoto / 2007 GSXR 750 / 1991 Yamaha XJ600 Secca II
Old 07-21-2014, 07:56 PM   #7
Swashbuckler OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadasax View Post
I just re-read your post.....at the beginning it sounds like the bike won't turn over, but at the end of the post you say the bike will turn over but won't fire.
I might be mis-leading you with the side stand switch
The bike ran fine. Then it periodically cut off at highway speeds - sort of like the fuel pump was dying. I stopped and turned off the bike (60 miles from home) and the bike wouldn't start again. The key would turn on the electronics, but wouldn't start the bike or even try to turn it over. I got home changed the solenoid and it still didn't turn on. I then cleaned the ignition and the bike ran fine for a couple hours as I rode around town. I got home and a couple hours later it wouldn't even try to turn over again. So I then decided to replace the fuel pump. After replacing the fuel pump the bike started right up and ran fine, but I didn't get to take it for a ride. Also the fuel pump isn't priming. Now it won't start, though it's trying. I pulled off the hose from fuel pump to the carb and started the bike to see if fuel would pump out fuel, but nothing happened, it just drizzled out fuel - I'm not sure I was doing it right though.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:38 PM   #8
DELTATANGO
Motorcyclist and Dog Walk

Oddometer: 13,634
Battery connections?
DELTATANGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:07 PM   #9
Swashbuckler OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DELTATANGO View Post
Battery connections?
I wish. I cleaned all the battery connections and reinstalled with a light coating of dielectric grease.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:08 PM   #10
4bikes
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by DELTATANGO View Post
Battery connections?
Or the battery it self?
4bikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:09 PM   #11
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,210
Put your old pump back on and go from there.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:24 PM   #12
Swashbuckler OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4bikes View Post
Or the battery it self?
I connected the mulitmeter to the battery and tried to start it. Showed somewhere around 12v's and jumped down to 10. I'm charging the battery tonight to see if that might be the problem.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:26 PM   #13
Swashbuckler OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwik View Post
Put your old pump back on and go from there.
That would be doable if I didn't cut the wires from the pump……

Right now I think I need to check to see if the new pump, well, pumps

Old 07-22-2014, 09:18 AM   #14
windblown101
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
I'd bet dollars to donuts you now have a fuel pump issue.

You had a bike that was cutting out randomly and occasionally failing to run the starter from time to time. That could have been two separate issues but chances are very good those two issues were connected, very rare to have two separate unrelated problems appear at the same time.

The only common point of failure given that your instruments and headlight still worked were the safety interlocks on the bike which will cut the engine and disable the starter.

After replacing the fuel pump the bike started in the garage. The reason it started was there was still fuel in the carb bowls. A bike with fuel in the carbs can easily run for 5 minutes or so.

If the new pump is only dribbling fuel it's either bad, not being powered correctly, or there is a kink in the fuel line. These are low pressure pumps but flow rate is still quite good when working properly.
windblown101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:51 AM   #15
Swashbuckler OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by windblown101 View Post
I'd bet dollars to donuts you now have a fuel pump issue.

You had a bike that was cutting out randomly and occasionally failing to run the starter from time to time. That could have been two separate issues but chances are very good those two issues were connected, very rare to have two separate unrelated problems appear at the same time.

The only common point of failure given that your instruments and headlight still worked were the safety interlocks on the bike which will cut the engine and disable the starter.

After replacing the fuel pump the bike started in the garage. The reason it started was there was still fuel in the carb bowls. A bike with fuel in the carbs can easily run for 5 minutes or so.

If the new pump is only dribbling fuel it's either bad, not being powered correctly, or there is a kink in the fuel line. These are low pressure pumps but flow rate is still quite good when working properly.
Because I"m unsure of the history of the fuel pump I installed I just ordered a new one to be on the safe side.

I guess I'm confused as to why the bike wouldn't try to turn over, and as soon as I connected the new fuel pump it did (even though I don't think the new fuel pump isn't pumping). I didn't touch or do anything, not even move the bike, to replace the fuel pump and that's why my beginner approach to solutions wouldn't think it's the sidestand switch.

It's like my bike has a neuronal sensation - I touch one thing and it affects another thing.