User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2013, 03:01 PM   #1
ViperACR OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Alaska questions

Hello inmates, I have some questions for those of you who have traveled to Alaska. I am going to the great north and I will be taking my motor home and pulling my jeep. My question: is it worth while to take the dual sports in that I mean is there enough trails to ride that are not just the main roads traveled by all tourists? I would like to take the bikes if there is enough trails and back roads thru Canada and Alaska to make it worth the extra effort. I know there are several of you who have been there and I would appreciate any info and ideas you have. I have been to Alaske and the Yukon many times hunting and fishing but I have always flown so I don't know what is on the way.
Thanks in advance for any and all help.
ViperACR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:53 PM   #2
traindriver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
I've rode up to Alaska twice. But was on street bike both times, No dual sport. If it were me I'd take the dual sports not the jeep. I'am sure you could find game trails,And lot of places to ride. Check with the Alaska Tourism. They'll send ya moore info than you can read.
traindriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:15 PM   #3
ViperACR OP
Adventurer

One problem

My wife is a warm weather rider and the jeep is for her when it is raining and it rains a lot up there. I will contact the tourism department thanks for the reply.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:44 PM   #4
brunstei
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
Take them for sure!

There are side roads all over the place in northern BC, Yukon, and AK. If you bring the DS you will not lack for all sorts of great places to take them on day excursions out from the RV "base camp".

For the BC section I suggest getting the BC Backroad Mapbook, Northern BC volume. Big spiral bound thing, about $25, you should be able to pick it up most places as you head north. Shows most of the logging/ mining roads and has details on lakes, hiking trails, forestry rec sites, etc.
brunstei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:57 PM   #5
Randyincolo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Until two months ago I lived in Alaska for over 30 years. Leave the Jeep at home and take the bikes
Randyincolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:20 PM   #6
ViperACR OP
Adventurer

Northern BC book

Thanks for the info I will get the book and I am very happy to hear from you that there is many trails to ride. Again if it was just me and my riding buds we would not take the jeep, but my wife would get tired of riding in the rain fast.
Thanks again for the great info.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:25 PM   #7
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,757
Well,have your wife drive the jeep and you ride the bike,shame to miss the ride of a lifetime due to female proclivities.

We are men are we not?

There's a little gravel road out to Inuvik,500 miles 1 way through some of the wildest country you could ever see.

Shame to spend all the time out there looking through a windshield stuck in a cage.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:59 PM   #8
JasonLester
Riding north

Oddometer: 188
Rode ther twice on a KLR. There are roads all over if you look hard enough. The Old Alcan is still there in places. Lots of gravel. If you stop and stay a while in one spot you can ride out from there.

Adventure doesn't have to be only on a bike IMO. Lots of fun can be had doing what you say. I'd take the bike. There may be times you'll want to take off on your own a while. I know that is the way it is for me and my wife. Actually for me...LOL
JasonLester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:49 AM   #9
ViperACR OP
Adventurer

All good ideas

Thanks for all of the ideas the old Alcan sounds good as well, and getting away for a while is always smart. I think it sounds like the bikes will be worth the effort.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:03 AM   #10
Oldone
One day at a time!

Oddometer: 652
Good luck!

We have two of our kids that live in Anchorage so we've been there several times although never on our bikes. Our son is an outdoor sort of guy so has been all over on the back-roads there. There's plenty of those with all sorts of various grades and just yearning for dual sportsters.....

Good luck and stay safe,

Gary "Oldone"

Grampa’s Lake Superior Ride
Grampa’s National Monument Ride
Oldone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:45 AM   #11
holckster
dougholck

Oddometer: 776
Just back from 3rd trip on the BMW GSA.
Have never driven a 4 wheel vehicle up north, just observed those who do and confess I am not a motorhome fan.

Take just the jeep, you will cover more area quicker and it will work for most of the gravel roads just fine.
With price of fuel, tires and maintance for the motorhome it's probably a wash to stay in motels and there are plenty of them.
Roads are actually in good shape.
But the permanent frost heaves and expansions joints just pound on you every mile.
Had to laugh at the motorhome and bus drivers I saw bouncing out of their seats and the vehicles rocking up and down like a carnival ride.
Talked to several motorcycle riders towing trailers and all said never again.
On a previous trip I meet a guy in Fairbanks who had been thrown from his bike/trailer rig when he encountered heaves he did not see (they can sneak up on you).
If you take the bikes make sure hitch is 100%, suspension is adequate and tires are new on both.
Take spare tires for each as the chipseal road surface is very abrasive and the gravel roads can have sections of shale shards that cut like a knife.
Safe Travels

04 BMW 1150GS Adventure
08 DR650
02 BMW K1200LTe
05 Yamaha TW200
BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

holckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:50 PM   #12
ViperACR OP
Adventurer

Frost heaves

I have heard about the frost heaves and they sound grusome. All good advice thanks and all is well recieved and being thought of carefully.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:45 PM   #13
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by holckster View Post
Just back from 3rd trip on the BMW GSA.
Have never driven a 4 wheel vehicle up north, just observed those who do and confess I am not a motorhome fan.

Take just the jeep, you will cover more area quicker and it will work for most of the gravel roads just fine.
With price of fuel, tires and maintance for the motorhome it's probably a wash to stay in motels and there are plenty of them.
Roads are actually in good shape.
But the permanent frost heaves and expansions joints just pound on you every mile.
Had to laugh at the motorhome and bus drivers I saw bouncing out of their seats and the vehicles rocking up and down like a carnival ride.
Talked to several motorcycle riders towing trailers and all said never again.
On a previous trip I meet a guy in Fairbanks who had been thrown from his bike/trailer rig when he encountered heaves he did not see (they can sneak up on you).
If you take the bikes make sure hitch is 100%, suspension is adequate and tires are new on both.
Take spare tires for each as the chipseal road surface is very abrasive and the gravel roads can have sections of shale shards that cut like a knife.
Safe Travels
Yes indeed,I do remember a short 80 mile section that was non stop sharp bumps big enough to rattle things,My R1150R was smooth enough,I saw guys on Harleys bouncing right out of the seat and their plastic bag wrapped leather luggage bouncing right along with them.
They were soaked through and through it looked like from the last 5 days of rain.

A motorhome would be beat pretty good attempting such a thing.