User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2013, 07:28 PM   #1
vicmitch OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
Cruisers for Traveling (not touring)

How many of you all travel on cruisers, I don't mean hopping on the interstate with the wife and your stuff in the tour pac. I mean the stuff you find in the "Ride Reports" section. Not off road, but on road international adventures.

Lets see some pictures and opinions on what works and what doesn't.

I just got back from Mexico on my Victory Sport Cruiser and was surprised at how competent it was. I would have liked to have a way to raise the suspenion without increasing the preload as I banged the engine on topes (speedbumps) way to many times. I have mid controls and I think they are a must, especially when you miss seeing a speedbump and have to stand up real quick.

I also think tubless tires are a must, for obvious reasons.

Not having valves to adjust and a chain to maintain are also pluses.

vicmitch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:44 PM   #2
mogwai
humorless prick

Oddometer: 4,299
The round the world crew doesn't seem to worry about tubeless tires.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:55 PM   #3
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,500
That V92SC is a nice bike. Good luck finding parts. Victory abandoned it. Sure was a nice way to treat their first customers who took a chance investing in a then totally new brand.

I have put 160,000+ miles on 2 Kawasaki Vulcan 750s (a '93 and an '02, still have the '02, with 83,000 miles on it) riding all over the U.S., parts of Canada, and Mexico. A few smooth dirt roads but mostly asphalt. Did everything from overnighters to 2 week trips, but nothing epic. I have a few digital pictures on CDs buried in a closet somewhere. Tubeless tires are an absolute must if you don't have a centerstand or a support crew.

JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:46 AM   #4
Murphy Slaw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,308
Man, that building would make a great saloon / cathouse.

Whoops.

Did I say that outloud?

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Murphy Slaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:31 AM   #5
vicmitch OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogwai View Post
The round the world crew doesn't seem to worry about tubeless tires.
Seems like for some, taking the rear half of your bike apart every time you have a flat is part of the adventure, some , like me would rather be riding or seeing cool stuff and meeting cool people. The GS bikes have tubeless tires as well. Back to the idea of cruisers for RTW on road travel. Anybody but RTWdoug and Roadhd doing it?
Old 07-06-2013, 08:41 AM   #6
vicmitch OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
That V92SC is a nice bike. Good luck finding parts. Victory abandoned it. Sure was a nice way to treat their first customers who took a chance investing in a then totally new brand
Not so bad, Jerry, brakes are Brembo, forks Marzocci, starters and other stuff compatible with the later Vics. They do build well put together bike but they seem not to be a good company when it comes to customer relations.

What about other cruisers that would be good to take on overland journeys. I saw this on Ebay, I think 3k would be a good offer for a pre dented overland cruiser http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2001-...2cac5cfa#v4-42

get a couple of Dry bags for cloths and camping gear and go.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:12 AM   #7
luckychucky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 924
Mexico

I followed alot of your other report. I would worry about the radiator part of my VTX, as it too is low. Nice the way you rigged up a trans cooler. Look like you did fine touring with a cruiser. Thanks for taking us along.
luckychucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:30 AM   #8
vicster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 949
Love your SC. I'd like to find a good one at some point. After I find a good TC that is.

Regarding your question, how about an inch longer shock in the back, having someone like Forking by Frank make up some longer front tubes, and putting a skid pan on the bottom? Don't laugh, my '54 Pan had one stock. Victorys especially need this since the crankcase extends below the frame rails. Might be the cheapest way to go and you get to keep the good basics of your Vic'.

I test rode one of those BMW cruisers when new and liked it.
vicster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:25 PM   #9
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,500
The R1200C is the only BMW I actually like. They are comfortable, but it looks like it might be a problem loading enough stuff on it for a long trip. BMW abandoned this model too, but parts are probably still available. The spoke wheeled version of this bike is proof positive you can put tubeless tires on wire spoke wheels. When they were still selling it, I heard it was doing great, then all of a sudden it was gone. The magazines constantly put it down when comparing it to the Japanese v-twin Harley copies, but it was functionally a very good bike. I don't believe they have the final drive issues the GS does.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 02:27 PM   #10
Rollin'
does it come in black?

Oddometer: 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicster View Post
Love your SC. I'd like to find a good one at some point. After I find a good TC that is.

Regarding your question, how about an inch longer shock in the back, having someone like Forking by Frank make up some longer front tubes, and putting a skid pan on the bottom? Don't laugh, my '54 Pan had one stock. Victorys especially need this since the crankcase extends below the frame rails. Might be the cheapest way to go and you get to keep the good basics of your Vic'.

I test rode one of those BMW cruisers when new and liked it.
My Vision 8-Ball is an inch lower than a standard Vision so a skid plate does help.

Rollin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 02:37 PM   #11
Hoodcounty
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
We ride a BMW 1200LT for those eat up the road miles trips.

Bought this guy in February of this year for the more relaxed days;
Beemer is extremely maintenance intensive while Suzuki would like you to consider changing the oil every 6,000 miles, and if you'd be so considerate as to change the filter every 11,000 miles they'd really appreciate it.

Has all the power we need for day long comfortable rides and all the cargo space needed for a casual weekend trip.
Hoodcounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:45 PM   #12
Dkitt10
n00b

Oddometer: 9
This thread is right up my alley

Right now I have a shadow vlx 600 saddle bags, rear fender bag for storage. Only get 200 km to a tank and lack of any decent power over 100 kph (60mph)

Looking to upgrade for next year and want to head up to Alaska camping along the way

What bikes would you guys recommend. I have been looking at

Vtx 1300/1800
Meanstreak 1600
V star 1100/1300
Honda sabre/spirit 1100

Or keep using my 600 and grab maybe a centre stand for it and pack fuel
Dkitt10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:51 PM   #13
vicmitch OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
The R1200C is the only BMW I actually like. They are comfortable, but it looks like it might be a problem loading enough stuff on it for a long trip.
People think they need more stuff than they do. I went for 2 months with a medium dry bag for my clothes a duffel for my camping equipment and a tank bag for my toiletries, map and paperwork,. Wickers makes clothes that you wash in the eve in your motel or hostel sink and they are dry by morning.

Bungies and dry bags, all you need.
Old 07-06-2013, 03:55 PM   #14
vicmitch OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkitt10 View Post
This thread is right up my alley

Right now I have a shadow vlx 600 saddle bags, rear fender bag for storage. Only get 200 km to a tank and lack of any decent power over 100 kph (60mph)

Looking to upgrade for next year and want to head up to Alaska camping along the way

What bikes would you guys recommend. I have been looking at

Vtx 1300/1800
Meanstreak 1600
V star 1100/1300
Honda sabre/spirit 1100

Or keep using my 600 and grab maybe a centre stand for it and pack fuel
Is it a small tank or bad fuel mileage that limits your range? I'm guessing that it will cruise at 75 but takes a while to get there. If you have a bike, might as well use it.
Old 07-06-2013, 03:58 PM   #15
Dkitt10
n00b

Oddometer: 9
2 gallon main 0.9 reserve

I am using the bike I got

Going for a couple day camping trip weekend after next

But am looking to upgrade for next year regardless. I do like how light and nimble my bike is for going to work as my commuter. But also want to do some serious miles next year. And my little 4 speed just doesn't go far and buzzes like no tomorrow on highway

Unless I look at doing sprocket change for better highway power
Dkitt10 is offline   Reply With Quote