Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2013, 04:07 PM   #16
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkitt10 View Post
This thread is right up my alley

Right now I have a shadow vlx 600 saddle bags, rear fender bag for storage. Only get 200 km to a tank and lack of any decent power over 100 kph (60mph)

Looking to upgrade for next year and want to head up to Alaska camping along the way

What bikes would you guys recommend. I have been looking at

Vtx 1300/1800
Meanstreak 1600
V star 1100/1300
Honda sabre/spirit 1100

Or keep using my 600 and grab maybe a centre stand for it and pack fuel
My honda vt1100 ace which is similar to the Spirit only gets just more than 200km, the 15L tank limits it.

Going up in size rarely improves mileage so if you want range look at the tank sizes. Or get a jerry can.
Vertical C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:13 PM   #17
Tucson Jim
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
c

Kawasaki Vulcan 1500cc, FI, Liquid cooled. Nothing fancy, gets the job done with zero issues. Pikes Peak, Northern CA, Calgary & Vancouver down highway one through the redwoods. Just did Yosemite (again) and Sequoia Nat'l Park 6/1/13. Not a burp.

Usually go 150 miles or so between fill ups but could go 220 in an emergency.

The only decision you have to make is what to do with the time you have been given

'07 Vulcan 1500 FI
Tucson Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:04 PM   #18
vicmitch OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Quote:
2 gallon main 0.9 reserve

I am using the bike I got

Going for a couple day camping trip weekend after next

But am looking to upgrade for next year regardless. I do like how light and nimble my bike is for going to work as my commuter. But also want to do some serious miles next year. And my little 4 speed just doesn't go far and buzzes like no tomorrow on highway

Unless I look at doing sprocket change for better highway power
That's pretty good mileage your getting, would be even better with a sprocket change. That seems like a good overland bike if you got s bigger tank or carried extra fuel. Gas is a major expense on any long trip and getting 50+mpg is a good thing.
vicmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:47 PM   #19
vicmitch OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Can someone identify this cruiser?

vicmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:21 PM   #20
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,729
Not everyone knows who RoadHD is so I'd like to add this thread to the discussion:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...php?p=13572010

Its a great read by a motorcycle newbie (before the trip!):

Road King river crossing El Salvador

IBA#39,523
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:32 PM   #21
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicmitch View Post

One of the Dyna series Harley
Old 07-06-2013, 07:01 PM   #22
El Pescador
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicmitch View Post

Maybe an FXDX T-Sport?
El Pescador is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:33 PM   #23
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,796
Quote:

Right now I have a shadow vlx 600 saddle bags, rear fender bag for storage. Only get 200 km to a tank and lack of any decent power over 100 kph (60mph)

Looking to upgrade for next year and want to head up to Alaska camping along the way

Vtx 1300/1800
Meanstreak 1600
V star 1100/1300
Honda sabre/spirit 1100

The VLX600 is faster than any of the current Shadow 750s. Unfortunately it had tube type tires, BUT, SWMotech actually makes a centerstand for it. As far as I know, it is the ONLY cruiser you can get an aftermarket centerstand for. My understanding is the reason for that is that it is a very popular bike in Europe, where they actually ride bikes more than cruising up and down main street on Saturday night. As for range, my Vulcan 750 has a 130 mile range. Yet I have managed to put 83,000 mostly highway miles on it. Yes, I have had to carry extra gas a few times. But the Vulcan 750s comfort, power, and handling more than make up for it's few problems.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:51 AM   #24
Dkitt10
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Thanks for your opinions guys. I am toying the idea maybe just using the vlx as a long distance bike. (Opens up some bike options for around town bike that wouldnt be a good traveler i really like that meanstreak)

I am going to have to figure out something with the pegs for comfort but that won't be an issue but where to store extra jerrycan fuel as I only have saddle bags and this fender bag
http://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/sadd...t-tailbag.html

What are some options while utilizing what I have. Not sure how that ts3200 bag would work on a luggage rack or what you guys think I might need to change around as you all have a lot more experience then me

Thanks guys
Dkitt10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:32 AM   #25
PalePhase
Humour Noir

Oddometer: 824
Quote:
Thanks for your opinions guys. I am toying the idea maybe just using the vlx as a long distance bike. (Opens up some bike options for around town bike that wouldnt be a good traveler i really like that meanstreak)

I am going to have to figure out something with the pegs for comfort but that won't be an issue but where to store extra jerrycan fuel as I only have saddle bags and this fender bag
http://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/sadd...t-tailbag.html

What are some options while utilizing what I have. Not sure how that ts3200 bag would work on a luggage rack or what you guys think I might need to change around as you all have a lot more experience then me

Thanks guys
I have the same size tank on my cruiser. You can add a luggage rack if you do not already have one, but most of them are limited to just a few pounds of weight before you run the risk of fatigue cracks. I bought a 1-gallon plastic gas can, which fits on my luggage rack with a couple of lbs margin for safety. Otherwise, as thirsty as that little V4 is, I start having abandonment issues the moment I get out of sight of a sign for a gas station.

1995 Honda VF750CD
2002 Honda VFR800
PalePhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:51 AM   #26
Durangoman
Yeah its me!

Oddometer: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
The R1200C is the only BMW I actually like. They are comfortable, but it looks like it might be a problem loading enough stuff on it for a long trip.

The R1200C loads nicely. BMW made large saddlebags, T-Bag, and a dry bag hauls plenty for a month-long trip.

Durangoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:54 AM   #27
JerryH
Vintage Rider

600cc is plenty for any trip. I have a video of one guy who rode from San Diego to Key West, back to San Diego, then to Prudhoe Bay Alaska, and back to San Diego, on a Ninja 250. I just finished reading a ride report about a guy who did the entire Trans America Trail (mostly dirt and rocks) on a 1978 100cc 2 stroke Hodaka Road Toad. That's nearly 5000 mostly off road miles on an ancient 100cc 2 stroke. You can pretty much go anywhere on anything. You don't need a BMW GS or KTM Adventure. A small lightweight bike with a low seat should make the trip a lot easier. Adventure riding is about the trip, not the bike.
1980 Puch moped
Old 07-07-2013, 12:04 PM   #28
Tom-Nor
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
Quote:

Vtx 1300/1800
Meanstreak 1600
V star 1100/1300
Honda sabre/spirit 1100

I have owned a V-Star1100 (Dragstar). Think the tank was 17liters and that should hold for 250-270KM. Riding without a windscreen at 120kmh it fels like your head is gona get riped off, but it has power over 100kmh
I liked the bike a lot and it was good for being a cruser to ride active on narrow and curvy roads.
But it realy need aftermarked exhaust couse the original is so damn quiet that you sometimes wounder if the engine is runing.
Its a great bike with ok power, weight is about 280kg wet so not so heavy.
Its low and wide with streightish bars. The engine is the same as the Virago just tweeked a litle bit.

If i should buy a cruser to day, i would go for the Suzuki M1800R (M109R) 125hp and 240 rear tier and a different look then the other crusers. You can get it in a more traditinal cruser look as the C1800 (C109).
M1800R

C1800
Old 07-07-2013, 12:12 PM   #29
Dkitt10
n00b

Oddometer: 9
thanks guys, going to source rear mounting rack and luggage rack i want to avoid the sissy bar/back rest
http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/ho...08F75-MCH-100K

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/ho...-08L42-MZ8-B00

throttle lock
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Honda-Shadow-...708256&vxp=mtr

gel pad/mustang seat
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Mustang-1-Pie...bc2a50&vxp=mtr

i have a windshield but i do prefer the look without but going to toss it on and see how it is on the highway i could see it nice to have on a long trip

anything else to add on the to do list?

i was never fond of the styling of the m109r looking on the web...and then I seen one in person very nice bike...my friend has a vrod would love one of those too

but hey until I win the lotto or don't have to buy baby diapers anymore going to have to keep dreaming...definitely would have a few bikes in the garage if I had the dough!
Dkitt10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:29 PM   #30
JerryH
Vintage Rider

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/shop-...e=Centerstands

This would be my first addition, along with a way to carry spare tubes, a pump, and tools to remove the wheels and tires. You don't know what grief is until you are in the middle of nowhere with a flat tire, and no way to fix it. Adventure riding often means riding in places where there is no cell phone service, so a road service plan won't do you any good. The idea is to handle stuff on your own.
1980 Puch moped