User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2013, 02:30 PM   #31
Dkitt10
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Yea good call definitely centre stand.

Going to look into tool bags for front of bike for some extra storage. Should be able to fit a mini pump and basic tool set and tubes in saddle bags no problemo

need to look into putting on a 12 volt adapter. Should be easy then I can also charge phone/GPS and run pump

Also going to look into a 41 tooth sprocket. I guess they make All the difference on the highway

Going to have to invest a little into the bike but I suppose it will be a good way to learn by trial and error for if I do pick up a different bike down the road

Thanks again. Dan.

Dkitt10 screwed with this post 07-07-2013 at 02:48 PM
Dkitt10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:24 PM   #32
mogwai
humorless prick

Oddometer: 4,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkitt10 View Post
thanks guys, going to source rear mounting rack and luggage rack i want to avoid the sissy bar/back rest
http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/ho...08F75-MCH-100K

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/ho...-08L42-MZ8-B00

throttle lock
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Honda-Shadow-...708256&vxp=mtr

gel pad/mustang seat
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Mustang-1-Pie...bc2a50&vxp=mtr

i have a windshield but i do prefer the look without but going to toss it on and see how it is on the highway i could see it nice to have on a long trip

anything else to add on the to do list?

i was never fond of the styling of the m109r looking on the web...and then I seen one in person very nice bike...my friend has a vrod would love one of those too

but hey until I win the lotto or don't have to buy baby diapers anymore going to have to keep dreaming...definitely would have a few bikes in the garage if I had the dough!
if you don't need the chrome, a local welder could probably fabricate a very solid luggage rack that would replace your pillion seat; enable you to mount hard bags and toss a couple dry bags on top. I'm about to do just that to my V-Star 1100. Will post some pics when finished.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:43 PM   #33
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
The VLX600 also takes a tank bag well. I bought a Cortech 14L for my former Ninja 500, and found it also fit my Vulcan 750 and even a Honda Rebel 250 very well.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:46 PM   #34
boatpuller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 461
The 600 Shadow will make the trip, but I agree with your concern of the highway manners of that motorcycle. Why did Honda only give it 4 gears?!! The engine is screaming at 75 mph, and as you said vibrating a lot. It's a nice handsome bike, and great around town, but you'll find yourself avoiding highways for slower roads, not always a bad thing, but makes getting to AK a long process.

In your shoes, I'd look hard at a used V-Strom 650. While you don't need an adventure bike to ride an adventure, you also don't need a hammer to drive a nail... but it makes the process a whole lot more enjoyable. The dl650 should sell for close to what the 600 Honda would bring, and you'll gain smoother engine, better highway manners, longer suspension travel, and keep nice city behavior that you are used to with the Honda. Not all of AK is yet paved and in good repair.
boatpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:48 AM   #35
JerryH
Banned

The VLX is likely to be more comfortable and easier to handle than a V-Strom, due to the low seat and pullback bars. The bars give you more leverage, and it is also more stable because it has more rake. You sit more in it than on it, so the center of gravity is much lower. The only issue it might have is ground clearance.

As for gearing, 4 speeds are fine for a 600 v-twin. I wish my Vulcan 750 was a four speed, it does not need 5, it just means more shifting. If it had more gears, they would be between the top and bottom gears it already has. You can lower the overall gear ratio with a smaller rear sprocket, but you don't have much room to play with. That engine is designed to spin. You could go up a little if you don't plan on climbing many hills. The VLX600 engine is overbuilt, they last forever. The Shadow 750 is nothing but a bored out 600. Has the same bottom end parts. And for some reason, makes less power.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:59 AM   #36
boatpuller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 461
JerryH: You've got some decent points, but you also have some that are quite weak.

I don't want to get into a long internet debate with you about someone else's motorcycle needs, so I'll just say the following, and step aside:

There is much more to good handling than low seat height.
Comfort is highly subjective; so your preferences may or may not work for the OP. He should try then decide for himself
I was asking for another gear on top, not to reduce the ratios in the middle. The Shadow 600 engine does not seam happy at 75+ mph, another higher gear would make the highway ride much more pleasant.
In loose or rough conditions, having your feet under you and a wide bar helps in balance and handling. Not as important on dry smooth roads. (The V-Strom bar could be wider, btw)

OP: You should ask yourself what kind of riding you want to do, what kind of preferences you have about ergonomics, etc. You can do most anything on most anything, if you are willing. That doesn't mean you should. If you can get the best tool for the job, why suffer using the least best just because that's what you have now? But it is better to ride what you have vs. not making the trip.
boatpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:05 PM   #37
Dkitt10
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Thanks for piping in man.
V strom is def a nice bike but cruisers for me. Can only afford one bike and if that's the case I want a cruiser in the garage. One day when I'm fortunate to have multiple bikes I will look at bike like that or sv650

Till then shadow vlx and after that maybe one of the bigger honda or that vulcan sure looks nice

Dan.
Dkitt10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:07 PM   #38
JerryH
Banned

The VLX is a fine motorcycle. It was made for 20 years. I like the looks of the '98 and older, but I like the single carb of the '99 and newer. I have my Vulcan 750 for a road bike, and a Yamaha XT225 for off road. I have ridden it over, through, and around almost everything, including boulders and huge jagged rocks. It's low seat height (for a dual sport) and light weight allow me to ride through such obstacle courses at very slow speeds (slower than walking speed, more like crawling) with my feet on the ground/rocks helping to guide it and keep it from falling over. A trials rider I am not. But I have safely made it through many sections where a lot of riders have gone down, trying to ride fast while standing on the pegs. Their bike hit an off camber rock, and down they went. Some seriously injured, and their bikes almost destroyed. Before trying to ride through stuff like that, watch some rock crawling in Jeeps, buggys and trucks. It's done the same way on a bike. Inch your way through with your feet down to serve as outriggers.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:38 PM   #39
Rebgen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durangoman View Post
The R1200C loads nicely. BMW made large saddlebags, T-Bag, and a dry bag hauls plenty for a month-long trip.

Love it! Great pics of the lowly C in action.

I'm leaving for an 11 day trip on my 98 R12C later this month. I've used 3 H2W bags (tent bag, dry stuff bag, and dry duffel) and never need more capacity. Packing for 3-4 days and hand-washing or quick laundry runs keep it manageable.

Heading up the Million Dollar Hwy to Top of the Rockies. Haven't had the cruiser in the mountains yet but I've read enough ride reports that it does great at altitude. I've rarely wanted more power from it ever...maybe the mountains will humble it but I doubt it.

Sub 40f temps or rain would have me daydreaming about the comforts of an RT 1200 ASAP, but until I have more time to take several more long trips each year the 98C will work great for me.

Thanks again for the pics...good thread.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:44 PM   #40
Tim_Tom
Riding an' Wrenching

Oddometer: 233
I don't ride a cruiser, but my brother does. He has a 2012 Thunderbird Storm, and he and I rode cross country last summer. Coast to coast to coast. 8000 miles in three weeks... almost all on county roads off the main highways. I'd say that's travelling.

This picture is from our campsite in Utah.

We leave for Nova Scotia in three weeks. He will be riding the Triumph, another brother on his Victory Vegas, and me on a 92 ZX600. One of these things is not like the others... It is all fun though, you can't beat days on end of riding, camping, and having a blast. It's not what you ride, it's how you ride it.
Tim_Tom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:17 PM   #41
Durangoman
Yeah its me!

Oddometer: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebgen View Post

I'm leaving for an 11 day trip on my 98 R12C later this month.

Heading up the Million Dollar Hwy to Top of the Rockies. Haven't had the cruiser in the mountains yet but I've read enough ride reports that it does great at altitude.

You're headed into my backyard.

My R12C runs great at altitude.

Durangoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:07 PM   #42
gumshoe4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
My vote is to run what ya brung. Is the VLX the best machine for long distance touring? Probably not. But folks 40 years ago were touring all over this country on machines with similar-sized or smaller engines. Back then, it was because there were not very many behemoth sized motorcycles on the market and those which were available were very expensive...and usually not very reliable.

Today, we have to realize that not everyone has $25,000 to plunk down on an FLH or a Goldwing. That means that we buy smaller, less expensive bikes, do our homework to make them work for us and don't let the "big bike, big money" paradigm keep us from riding our machines wherever we want to go.

I just obtained a 2000 VStar 650 Custom from a friend who decided not to ride anymore. The machine is in pristine condition, with a little over 6100 miles on it. It's comfortable (except for that seat), handles surprisingly well, particularly on the twisties and gets about 50-55 mpg. It has a 4.2 gallon tank, so it will go 170 miles without a problem. Performance is fine...I've had it up to 80+ and it's very stable at that speed. Normal freeway cruise at 70 or so is easy. Last weekend, I took it into the Sierra Nevadas up to Ice House, then 50 to South Lake Tahoe, back on 89 over to 88 and thence over Carson Pass at about 8600'. It is a carburated engine, so above 5000' or so, I noticed some decrease in power, but it was nothing that was a problem for me. Will I tour on this bike? I might....I'm convinced that I don't need a 900 pound motorcycle to go where I want and be happy enroute.

I think after you fiddle a bit with your VLX, you'll find it'll do the job for you AND, most importantly, you have it and own it now. Make it work for you and you'll have double the satisfaction of running what ya brung and knowing YOU made it work...

gumshoe4 screwed with this post 07-10-2013 at 07:30 PM
gumshoe4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:50 PM   #43
sloryder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Vlx 600

@ Dkitt10

The 600 is ok to travel on once you adjust the gearing. I went to a 40 or 39 tooth rear sprocket, got rid of the terrible vibration at 62 mph, and can now cruise in comfort at 70- 75 mph.

Yes, Honda cheaped out with a four speed, and it NEEDS a five speed. My reading on this model indicates that it was sold in South America with a five speed. On a windless day, top speed is now nearly 85 mph. A windy day drops it down to less than 80 mph. Max. torque is at 3500 rpm. Speeds above 65 mph will decrease your fuel economy noticeably. I average 60- 65 mpg in mixed riding, thus hitting reserve around 125 miles. I would not hesitate to go cross country on mine. It has just enough power to be safe. It is the slowest bike I have ever owned and I tell my friends that it doesn't have enough soup to drown a flea. Ymmv.
sloryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:45 AM   #44
Rebgen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durangoman View Post
You're headed into my backyard.

My R12C runs great at altitude.

Thanks...can't wait to get on the road.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:17 AM   #45
vicmitch OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
Dkitt10. Since it doesn't do that well on the highway, maybe you should head south instead of north. You can go from wherever you live to Panama without any highways. Cheaper too
vicmitch is offline   Reply With Quote