Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2013, 01:04 PM   #31
hopscotching OP
On the road...

Oddometer: 256
07-21-13 thru 07-22-13; Towards Canada

07-21-13

Around 4am people start packing up, not my idea of a good time; we stay in bed. Around 7am i get out of the tent, felling a little worse for wear. Around 9:30am we get on the road.

We slab it towards Portland, wanting to check the city out. Very pretty. It was really just a quick riding tour as we really wanted to get near to or over the Canadian boarder. The decision was made to slab it towards Seattle, well, that lasted for all of an hour; i was so bored. Taking the first exit i could find that would take us to Hwy 30, so much better.

Around midday we arrive in Astoria, Yea lunch. We find the Fort George Brewery

Crap, the rig screeches to a stop. I manage to get it up onto the sidewalk, neutral does not help (not transmission, thank crap). I start looking and start to notice some very odd pieces of metal that seem to have magically appeared in the final drive. hmmm what to do. We try again to see if we can move the rig into one of the car spaces, no dice.

The decision to jack-up the rig was really made for me, i decide not to pull the full final drive just yet; lets just see what we can see. Then all of this fell out

But now the rig can roll and we secure on of the car parks. I go into the bar trying to find an owner, i figured asking permission to stay in their parking spot would be best. Such nice people, leaving the bike there for a two days or so is just fine. More on the people of Astoria later.

Amie goes to secure us a hotel room, and we get one just a block away.

Things are looking up already. We meet Tom from Kermit chair and chat up the group for a bit, then carry our stuff to the hotel.

A quick change of clothes and off we go the get some food and drinks, both are really needed right now.

Fort George Brewery

Chicken and Bleu sandwich for me

House made Italian Sausage with peppers and onions for Amie-yummy!!

We stay for a while ;-) Enjoying our beer and cider Sunday.

Back to the room, we make a game plan. It more or less went like this. Pull the final drive and wheel tomorrow and see what really happened. Relax as much as possible and enjoy as much as possible.

Because it is close we went back to Fort George Brewery to grab a light dinner.

Salmon spread and hummus.

the salmon was amazing, the hummus bland. Some garlic from the kitchen solved that problem.

Bed time, tomorrow will tell us what happened :-(

07-22-13; Well there's your problem

Out at 9am to see what had happened. Well here is the final drive

Parts that broke off

The reason it all broke

So it seems that along the away a spoke broke. The part on the inside dropped into the final drive and at some point jammed on the final drive and started eating it away till the point we just stopped. I cleaned out the rest of the drive and wheel, changing the wheel for the spare. All in all it should work, just no rear brakes (don't really need them anyway) but i would prefer not to take it too far if at all possible.

Lunch time. For the first time while writing this I will say this up front. DON'T GO HERE THE FOOD WAS TERRIBLE...

Wet Dog Cafe

Food

The low cloud cleared later in the day, it was just beautiful.

So, for dinner we go to the Indian restaurant that has been around for 2 years. AMAZING, but not as spicy as we both expect. Naan, samosa, chicken tikka and lamb vindaloo. This place we DO recommend. YUMMY

The night sky was beautiful

Tomorrow is Tuesday, i will make some calls and see what i can find. Really don't like the idea of rebuilding the final drive yet again, really hoping i can find a fully rebuilt one ready to go. O and i have to get some spokes!!!

More news shortly
Mexico starts on this page
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1#post23188421

hopscotching screwed with this post 07-23-2013 at 01:11 PM
hopscotching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:25 PM   #32
CaseyB
Adventually

Oddometer: 425
Great scenery, IPA's, good food and most importantly - being able to ride without a tight schedule.

Excellent (said like Mr. Burns)

I look forward to following along.
CaseyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:13 PM   #33
hopscotching OP
On the road...

you said it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Great scenery, IPA's, good food and most importantly - being able to ride without a tight schedule.

Excellent (said like Mr. Burns)

I look forward to following along.
Time is the one thing we have on our side.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:18 PM   #34
hopscotching OP
On the road...

07-23-13 Staying still and making calls.

Today is all about trying to get the parts we need to move on. I secured a new to me final drive ("rebuilt") we shall see ;-) and looks like the spokes are in the works, have to make another call about that later.

It has been a very nice and slow day, we have started to recover from the MOA and with the bike seeming to be sorted (except for the parts arriving and putting them on). Breakfast consisted of a latte and a very fresh chocolate croissant (my teeth hurt)

a quick walk around finding some stuff we need for the work ahead and some other things that would be nice. Another laundry day, easier this time as the hotel has the laundry in-house.

Spokes are on the way, final drive is on the way... We will be moving this weekend ;-) Sunday sounds good to me. After laundry lunch was needed. Laundry is hard work (thanks Amie)

On the way to lunch we saw these

We found the Mexican restaurant we were looking for ;-)

Food was wonderful

Prawns for me (shrimp for the Americans)

Enchiladas for Amie

The restaurant and bar are separated, the decor of the restaurant is different

the bar has it's own flavor

Owned (as far as we can tell) by a couple, she (used to be the waitress before they bought the place)serves in the restaurant, he works the bar.

Once again the sun came out in the afternoon, we have been told that we have hit the good weather, a bit unusual. Usually very SF weather here, with fog rolling in at 3pm and rolling out around 12noon? For us it has just been amazing.

While at the Cantina we met a couple, they asked if we were staying at the Norblab; we looked familiar. Apparently he had come here (Astoria) for a week and stayed for the past year. Amie and I had been joking, asking the question "How did you guys end up living in Astoria?" Hmmm....

Na we shall leave...

I got back from removing items from our cooler, i found Amie like this. No i did not place the sign...

Tomorrow is a new day and with any luck a new final drive. It's going to be like Xmas...

Headed back out after Amies nap, (needed) to Fort George, intending just to have a cider or 2. Amie roped me into having their pepperoni pizza, and it was just amazing. Perfect crust, not tons of cheese and zesty pepperoni. Well worth it.

At the rally purchased Re-Animator, great zombie movie from the 70's (if you haven't seen....???) and even though we had cable in our room, dragged out the laptop and watched it in bed, while chomping on a chocolate Charleston chew. Another yum........

Tomorrow is a new day....
Old 07-25-2013, 08:20 AM   #35
WU7X
The Old Fart

Oddometer: 1,916
This just keeps on getting better and better! Can't believe all the break-downs you've had so far, and the mellow way you have handled them all. My fuse must be shorter than yours.

Ride safe and have lots more fun!
"
Adventure is worthwhile." ~ Aristotle
Airhead #14449
WU7X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:35 AM   #36
hopscotching OP
On the road...

07-24-13 thru 07-27-13

Astoria.....

Parts arriving, and have found a shop to help and supply carpark space to do the work. Things are looking up.

What have we been up to you may ask? Well lets see.

Breakfast (Columbia Cafe)

Enjoying the sun and clouds

Dinner (Blue Ocean) Wonderful Thai food...

Extra spice?

Late Lunch / Dinner (Drina Daisy, Bosnian food. Just incredible) Tomato compote with warm bread

Then the smoked meat and pickled veggies plate

Then came the lamb. To die for lamb that melted in our mouths. And as the owner stated, did NOT need mint sauce.

Then came the Bosnian coffee (better than Turkish)

And lastly, Baklava. Start to finish an amazing experience.

We waddled out, with a bar of nutty chocolate to boot. Just in case we got the nibbles before we got back to the hotel.

Fix bike... Forgot the camera!!!! The Guys here are really good guys http://www.icchoppers.com/

Late Lunch (Fort George Brew Pub)

Local wildlife

All in all it has been a relaxing time here in Astoria, now the want to push on is getting to us both. Sunday we head north. Saturday we ride a bit, make sure all the work done will hold up ;-)
Old 07-28-2013, 03:21 PM   #37
hopscotching OP
On the road...

07-27-13: Astoria Tour

After fixing the bike we decided to do some riding and see the sites before departing, figured it was a good idea to ride the bike before getting back on the road.

Our first stop was the Astoria Column, 164 steps up and of course down ;-)

The best thing apart for the $2 parking that is good for a year is the balsam wood gliders that you can buy at the gift shop. They let you fly them from the column!!!! It was like a flashback to childhood, it had to be done.... With glider in hand we walk around and around the spiral staircase up the 164 steps, the view was amazing and a good strong breeze should work for the glider. It had been recommended that you write your name on the glider so if found it could be identified, apparently for me this would not be an issue.

We watch a few gliders, they do go a fair distance when launched from such heights, some just go straight down. Prior to climbing the column I had made a few straight test flights, trying to get everything positioned correctly. I think the preparation paid off.

With many onlookers I launched my glider into the wind, very tricky I know. A few turns and it caught a thermal, and another, and another. The damn thing flew and flew, we kept catching glances of it as the sun reflected off it. For 10 min or so Amie, I and a group of amazed onlookers tried to keep track of the small plane. Alas we lost it somewhere in the trees, there would be no way of finding it.

Views

Happy with my dollar investment we went back down the 164 steps to ride to our next destination.

The Goonies House!!!!

Well, just the outside anyway, it had to be done. In the same area are most if not all the houses used in the film, we figured that one was enough!

In addition to the Goonies we road past the school from Kindergarten Cop and the house from Short Circuit (it had a 6 foot cyclone fence around it, not very inviting)

A quick ride to see the bridge and the Maritime memorial and we were spent.

Back to the hotel to do washing (again) and I DID IT THIS TIME! Early dinner and an early night, well that was the plan.

We ran into some people who we had met in Astoria and had to go for a drink and a game of shuffle board. Hmmm, in a little later than expected and a little more lubricated than expected. All in all a good final day.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:37 PM   #38
Paratrout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Good to see you're back onthe road again. Where are you guys going now?

2008 KLR 650
Paratrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:00 AM   #39
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,279
Subscribed.....good to see another Hacker/ette doing the Tour. Used to do that and really miss it since I sold my rig. Will be following you... Yep, head to Alaska before it gets cold....

Wherefore art thou now??

cheers....
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:11 PM   #40
hopscotching OP
On the road...

and of course new stories to tell!!!!
Old 07-31-2013, 09:54 PM   #41
hopscotching OP
On the road...

07-28-13; Canada or Burst!!!

On our way to Canada- finally!!!!! So exciting. We got up early and were on the road by 7. There i a ferry at 12:30 that we hope to make. Otherwise, the next on isn't until 5:45.

A few words about our time in Astoria- the people bent over backwards to make us comfortable and help out however they could, from a man taking our tire to a specialized shop to try for a new spoke, to the woman who procured us a parking spot close to the hotel. Thank you, Astoria, we are very grateful.

So, we needed to Port Angeles, which was about 240 miles away, and halfway through we realized that we wouldn't make the early ferry. Ah well.

On the way

We get into town just after 1:30, reserve our spot on the 5:45 ferry and head out to get lunch. (sorry, no pics of lunch, but I had a very tasty ham cheddar and spicy pickle panini and Matt's chicken sandwich had ham, provolone, pineapple salsa and cabbage. The fries were very tasty.

Around 4 we headed back to wait by the bike, only to find out that the ferry (the only one they have) has had an accident and is running at least an hour late. ok... Later we learn that a semi had hit a car, then damaged the ferries bay door. Se we settled in, Matt did some bike work and I hunted for our late afternoon snack. I am a bit embarrassed to say, that Dairy Queen did not disappoint. Good chicken strips. Enough said about that. hehehe.

Lots of people to meet waiting, and good things to see.

Finally, at 7:45, 2 full hours late now, the ferry was able to leave BC and head back to pick us up. Luckily for us, we had a couple of cocktails in our cooler, so the it could've been worse.

Yea it arrived

We got on board the ferry at 8:45. At least we didn't need to worry about finding a campground when we get in, as Matt has already reserved us a site. Such a good boy.

Sunset while we waited

Ferry pics

It was well after 11 when we finally made it through customs and got on the road. Victoria is very pretty, I must say, but we were both tired and just wanted to set up our tent (in the dark) and call it a day.

Ha. We got to the campground and the gate was closed- they lock up at 10 pm. This would've been very good information to have before we reserved. Off to find a hotel. Route 1 is being repaved, so there are no divider lines on the curves. Even better. We pull into the first hotel we can find, and of course its been closed for quite some time, and just as we were getting frustrated, and wondering if we can pull out our sleeping bag on the side of the road, like a vision, a KOA sign pops up. Woohoo!!!!! a few minutes later with tent set up we turn in. Goodnight, Canada.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:56 PM   #42
hopscotching OP
On the road...

Great to see you following

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenteuerfahrer View Post
Subscribed.....good to see another Hacker/ette doing the Tour. Used to do that and really miss it since I sold my rig. Will be following you... Yep, head to Alaska before it gets cold....

Wherefore art thou now??

cheers....
We have been without internet for a few days, that is to say there has not been internet when we have stopped... Updates to follow again shortly.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:20 AM   #43
hopscotching OP
On the road...

07-29-13: First full day in Canada.

We have made it!!! Now all we have to do is get to the mainland, np there is a BC Ferry to take us. We jump on the Hwy and make very good time pay our monies and we are on our way.

Sea planes taking off and landing right next to us.

Once again ferry pics

Just a beautiful day for riding.

stopped at Narin Falls for the evening

Really beautiful area

Tomorrow we keep moving....
Old 08-01-2013, 07:38 AM   #44
hopscotching OP
On the road...

07-30-13: Wonderful riding and fishing

Sea to Sky Hwy... Amazing: Many a pic

Had a Forrest Gump moment

and then we hit 97, hmm a let down after 99 but we have to keep going. We ride as far as our buts and backs will take, the sidecar really does take it out of you. Amie was very pleased when i pull into the camp site.

We had wanted to get further down the road, but this trip was never meant to be a rush, although it does seem to be heading that way :-( The camp is very nice again, all except for the yellow jackets that seem to be following the rig. The lake has a wonderful supply of Rainbow Trout.

mmmm dinner

Tomorrow we keep pushing further.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:31 AM   #45
hopscotching OP
On the road...

07-31-13: North by NorthWest

With a destination in mind we head out, 97 keeps going forward and so do we. A reminder that the road is a dangerous place to be, 2 trucks going opposite directions had crashed.

Stopping for supplies and gas, a quick lunch at Subway and we keep pushing forward.

Going past this beautiful pasture area we spot our first Moose, sorry, no pic.

Flat farmland, we are told that after Burns Lake toward Smithers the mountains are beautiful

We stop at Burns Lake (and yes, there is a Mo's road in town) for gas and quickly realize that something is not right with the 2nd battery on the bike, seems dead to me. Only having approx 9v we find the local NAPPA and get a cheap battery to replace the deep cycle, this one wont work as well but should be enough to get us thru.

The old battery

New Battery

We get back on the road.... 9 miles up we come to some more road construction and stop. i have started just turning the bike off when we hit these things, you just never know how long it is going to be.... Just a short wait this time, i go to change into 3rd gear (i think it was 3rd) and nothing, we are stuck in 2nd gear... F%@K!!!!

Looks like the Pawl spring has broken, i am stuck in 2nd gear... Again F%@K!!!!

We ride back the 9 miles into town (slowly) and go to the first hotel we find, drink a beer and start calling the closest Airhead friendly places i can find. Many are suggesting anywhere from a week or so to 3 weeks to look at or to fix the spring issue. I work my way down the country and into the USA, Mike @ Vallantine Motors has the spring in stock and can get things done very quickly.... So the current plan is to find a cheap/er place to stay (camp) and a parking place for the rig where i can take everything apart. Ship the tranny to Mike, fish for a day or 3. Put it all back together and keep heading north.

Sounds like plan right?

Off to the PUB, we need food and drinks. The Grapevine Pub and Bistro is the recommendation, Not to shabby at all

Dry pork ribletts for starters *AMAZING*

Stir-fry for Amie

Chicken Souvlaki for me

Today (1st) we are being helped by a very kindly local, who is going to drive us around so we are not walking everywhere. Will follow up with progress....