User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2013, 08:14 PM   #61
hopscotching OP
On the road...

Oddometer: 256
08-19-13 the swingarm

We walked to the machine shop today... Wonderful people and more than willing to help. here is their plug

Andy's Machining & Repair

Roumieu Dr, Burns Lake, BC V0J 1E0

250-692-3838

If you get stuck here, please hit up Andy... Wonderful guy. Tomorrow we test the fitting!!!! After all the screwing around with the swingarm the bolts that attach the driveshaft to the output flange of the tranny have stretched so i have ordered new ones... Don't want to risk something else ... We shall test, but wait on the new bolts to leave....

Really hoping tomorrow goes well...
Mexico starts on this page
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1#post23188421
hopscotching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:36 PM   #62
hopscotching OP
On the road...

Left Burns Lake :-)

Not the way i would have liked to, but there is a story there...

More shortly
Old 08-27-2013, 07:48 PM   #63
hopscotching OP
On the road...

A quick story to cove a lot of time

We left burns Lake thanks to a U-Haul truck, as i said not the way i wanted to leave, but we were moving.

During the tranny and swingarm work it rained almost every day, if not every day; every evening. Not great conditions to be working on a bike... So there i am, testing the fit of the finaldrive; pushed a little to hard and the rig falls off the jack slightly pinning me under it... I was fine just a scratch and a bruised ego

We got the rig back on to the jack with some assistance and i went on with the other work.

A couple of days pass, i really did NOT want to know if the fall caused damage. We got the tranny and swing arm all fixed up, i was time to check for falling damage.

The push rod seals had pulled out about 2 ribs, no problem they can be bashed into place. The big issue it the there seemed to be no compression in the left cylinder; ahh crap....

Checked everything, re-torqued the head, checked the valve clearance, and beat the pushrod tubes / seals back in to place. All looked great, except no compression. Ahh crap.

For me and i am pretty sure Amie too we had to get going one way or another. Right now the easiest was to truck the rig to the closest Airhead guy for some assistance. So that is what we did, Monday we arrived in Vernon BC and took the bike to; Partly Dave's Neighbourhood Garage.

Monday with our arrival and the always dramatic removal of the rig from a truck using very makeshift ramps (just scary) we pulled the valve cover, Dave gave everything a once over and was as confused as I. No obvious damage, push rods all doing what they should. Leakdown test time!!!

10% on the leakdown, hissing everywhere, ahh crap... Tracked the hissing to the carb, hmm air comming out the intake that is just not right. I pull the carb and we find carbon that must have come from the intake valve, Dave grabs a rubber mallet and beats the valve into submission (i guess i am still a little to delicate on the bike sometimes). Leakdown shows 80%, we are getting closer I clean the carbon from the carb and call it a day. Tomorrow we planed to get the bike fully assembled and started, take it for a ride and see how it all goes....

The bike goes together just as it should and starts; happy dance

So it seems that the entire issue (no compression) was carbon holding the intake valve up, such a stupidly simple thing... I will chalk this up to another lesson learned.

Lunch and a ride to check everything, in the morning i will be checking the valves again, then back to Daves for another leakdown test. Will take care of a service while i am there....

BACK ON THE ROAD THURSDAY!!!!

Due to the delays we have had to make a tough decision, Alaska will have to wait till next time But we will be moving and doing the trip as intended....

Real ride reports soon....

There is a silver lining to all of this, we found my favorite Australian beer...

Cheers all...

hopscotching screwed with this post 08-27-2013 at 08:00 PM
Old 09-03-2013, 12:14 PM   #64
hopscotching OP
On the road...

08-29-13 Woo Hoo

Pics will be uploaded asap

It has been some time since we have written from the road ;-) Today is a good day...

We finally leave a place under our own steam, form Vernon we head towards Glacier National Park. It will be the first destination we make it to since the bike issues in BC.

A huge shout out must go to Dave, THANK YOU Dave...

We spent yesterday doing a some service work on the bike, shopping for the supplies we have not needed for some time and making plans. One would think that the first day back out would be bright, sunny and beautiful; no such luck. We left Vernon under overcast skies and a drizzle starting just as we finish checking the tire pressure, it will pass; im sure of it...

Two hours later the rain passes (it did make for some very nice views thou)

hmm really should have put on the wet gear ;-) Still not very warm but the riding dries the gear albeit slowly. We needed a ride, the route we took was basically a big loop; really wanted to take the ferry across the river.. So we did.

Not a long crossing, but a good chance to talk to the other riders. Seems the rig is still a great conversation piece. We never did intend to hit Glacier in one day, so we camp in one of the many Provisional Parks that scatter BC. This on was right on a lake and once again the yellow jackets are everywhere. Have i mentioned this before? well it seems that BC and parts of the north US have a huge population of yellowjackets this year. We have been told a few different theories as to why; it's been so dry they are out, They are on a 7 year cycle (lucky us). Whatever the reason they really annoy the crap out of me, last night i was using our chefs knife as a swat, trust me when i say it was easier to swat them than to stab them (may be safer too).

anyhow. Apart from the indigenous wildlife the site was beautiful. Then the thunder came... We battened down the hatches and took to the tent to play cards, Amie was kicking my ass when she noticed that the floor of the tent was wet and getting better; ahh crap. Time to get a little wet and workout why...

The design of these camp sites has the tent and seating area below the parking site, very nice to look at but; the damn rain drains down from the parking area and in our case straight under the tent!!! When camping as a kid (yes in scouts) we would dig a trench around the $20 Kmart tent as the floors were not waterproof, i had expected my REI tent to do better!!! I start digging a trench to draw the water away from the tent and then crawl under the tent to dry it out as much as possible. I don't think either of us slept very well (Amie makes ALOT of noise when she gets up to pee). All the work paid off as the rain started again in the early morning, we stayed dry!!!

Packing a wet camp is never fun, just hope we make it to Glacier in time to dry everything out....

hopscotching screwed with this post 09-09-2013 at 09:19 PM
Old 09-03-2013, 12:15 PM   #65
hopscotching OP
On the road...

08-30-13 Still going HA

Well its wet, tent is wet, bike is wet and the wet weather liners go into the gear. As stated packing up a wet camp is never fun, we have numerous garbage bags to store the wet tent etc, just a matter of packing inside the tent till all can get wet on it's own... Then the rain subsides and we are left with the best looking morning we have had for some time now... Off to Glacier.

We leave our site at Champion Lakes park and head back to the USA.

The rig is running well, up and down what i assume is the Canadian side of the rockies. Keeping pace and just plain working ;-)

I have had some interesting times at US boarders, not this time, the standard questions and answers and we are thru.

We pushed today, stopping only at rest areas for a granola bar and some jerky then pushing on at our noonish stop we are befriended by one of the boat inspectors, he too has a 70's era BMW and has stories that needed to be told. After a few of them and some helpful sightseeing advice we were on our way. Only 4 miles down the road we came to his suggestion; i am not really one to stop at these small sightseeing thingies but under the guidance of our tour-guide we stop to have a look...

Amie acted as guard for the bike and belongings etc. I start what i think to be a 10min hike to see the falls and swing bridge.

45 mins later i make it back to the bike, it was worth it thou.... Onwards to Glacier we go.

We have some food with us but are in need of beverage restocking. Montana has (at least to me) very odd liquor licensing; 1) a market (grocery store / supermarket) can sell beer and wine and a liquor store can sell liquor and wine but never the twain shall meet. So i go to the market and see that they dont sell liquor, so we got to the liquor store only to find no beer. I am sure you can see how this is going. Any how 3 store visits later we have all we need(?) Off to glacier...

We make it, it's the small victories right now...

We enter the park late, the "girl" / "ranger" whatever at the entry is very unhelpful, we make our own decision on where to camp and hope there is a open site, we have faced the long weekend camping before :-( this time however we do find a site, if only for the nite and no damn yellow jackets!! WOO HOO.... Our standard fare for dinner really does taste good. Although we got into the park later than we would have liked the tent and other wet sundries are dry and or drying and i have time to do the writing for the last two days. all in all a very good day.

hopscotching screwed with this post 09-09-2013 at 09:28 PM
Old 09-10-2013, 09:50 AM   #66
hopscotching OP
On the road...

08-31-13 Find a site for the hoilday weekend...

08-31-13 Find a site for the holiday weekend...

Forgetting it was a holiday long weekend we entered Glacier and luckily found one of the only 2 non-booked sites available, today we stalk sites to find one for the rest of the weekend.. Amie, reliable as always, had done some reconnaissance work the day before, we had a target, now all we had to do was make the kill... I start a nice conversation with the current resident of the site who's family was in the process of packing up, he turned out to be a very nice Irishman who had no issue with me staking my claim on their soon to be vacant campsite. Not a moment too soon as new comers were driving the campsite in search of space.

After watching and waiting the family FINALLY left the site, we moved in straight away having already packed ready for the move.

A quick setup and fees paid, it was time to head out for some supplies etc.

The day was spent playing cards and relaxing; knowing that we had a space for the weekend.

Excitement for the day was seeing this guy

and walking by the creek that runs past the camp site

Dinner was a simple affair

Old 09-10-2013, 10:04 AM   #67
hopscotching OP
On the road...

09-01-13 The Park Tour

Up and at em!! slowly so you don't hurt yourself. Wish i had thought of that. Somehow, maybe lifting and twisting the cooler i tweaked my back, we have pain killers but it still really sucks. Drugged up (just enough to stop the pain; really!) we set off to do a riding tour of the park.

We saw this guy

hmm, seems one has to walk to see the best stuff. I am so not in a walking state. We suffer thru the holiday park traffic and see some amazing vistas and sites.

It is a 50 mile each way trip thru the park, each way with the traffic taking approx 3 hours each way; needless to say we were very happy when we made it back to camp ;-). I need a quick rant; Car drivers seem to drop any driving skills and knowledge of their cars as soon as they enter a national park. I know the roads are narrow, but they fit vehicles much larger then the damn Camery you are driving. You don't need to keep crossing the center divide. Really YOU DON'T.

Back at camp, did i mention the campsite is on a river? that means fishing!!! I leave Amie in camp and do some wading just below some small rapids, I pull in 7 small fish in the matter of 20 mins, letting them all go. I go to grab Amie as this is just too easy. Of course with both of us there I only get one in the next 2 hours :-(

Back to camp to drug up and re-stoke the fire and get settled for the evening.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:09 AM   #68
hopscotching OP
On the road...

09-02-13 The hoards leave

Monday (Labor day) and the race is on for everyone to pack up camp and leave; WOO HOO. The campsite that was fully booked now has only 4-5 sites occupied, we consider moving to a lakeside campsite but the thought of dragging all our shit to another site is just too much, we will stay where we are. Leaving tomorrow anyway.

Today my back is not much better, drugs and a quiet campsite day are in order. Cards, a few drinks and of course fishing.

With everyone around us leaving there is now an abundance of firewood to be found, Amie and i gather up what we think will be more than enough to get us thru the evening and the morning.

Sometime in the evening the rain started, ahh crap. It had threatened for a while, so we had gotten things ready but there is still all the little things that need to get done once it starts. Once in the tent i don't think either of us were awake for more than 10 mins....
Old 09-10-2013, 10:17 AM   #69
hopscotching OP
On the road...

09-03-13 The long straight road

It rains again in the morning, the weather seems to show us when it is time to move on. We pack the wet tent and all of our other belongings on to the rig and head EAST, yea....

We don't really have a plan nor an idea of what is out this way so the route picking went something like this; look that road goes east lets take it... So Hwy 2 it is. Sooo straight, so flat, so nothing... What ya going to do.

We call it a day at a FREE campground next to a damn. Lots of dirt to get in (13 miles to be precise), seems like it is the locals boat launch.

Nice(ish) place, fishing sucked in the river; too much weed. But as luck would have it the hoards that left after Labor day had not taken all of their firewood.

and they had a playground

It was all fun and games till a splinter lodged its self

A good day all in all.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:31 AM   #70
hopscotching OP
On the road...

09-04-13 We flee Montana.

Heading east is going just fine but the straight nothing is taking its toll. We pushed as hard as we could today and still find ourselves just the wrong side of the boarder. Ahh well another free camp spot, this time in a city park, its our first time ;-)

Lets start at the beginning, we both slept poorly. Never a good start. The wind last night was quite strong, enough to make me put the extra stakes on the tent. The morning bought the rain we have been running from; looks like we will be hitting it along the road. We shall just take it as it comes.

The road as mentioned numerous time is straight

we celebrate each and every corner. They are few and far between.

There are some beautiful moments too

The rain threatens all day but never more than a drizzle, the wind keeps up making arm sore keeping the rig straight. Not to mention the miles of road works, there was no road...

We make a reasonable 400 miles or so, making camp in a town park (FREE) all good.

Slightly blurry I know

The flies, damn them all. Cannot seem to get a break from the insects, but that is what you get for free.

The things you see while camping

Apparently the cat and his brother had been trained from an early age to walk on the lead

Dinner was some simple sandwiches

All under the watchful eye of this guy

Tomorrow we make a break for North Dakota, the day after Canada again on our way to Nova Scocia.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:25 AM   #71
hopscotching OP
On the road...

09-05-13 a slight directional adjustment

we didn't quite make it out of Montana yesterday, apparently this was a good thing. One of our co campers tells us about the next city we will be going thru, Williston.

Hwy 2 changes from the 2 lane hwy that had been fine to a four lane racetrack for trucks, the fields change into oil fracking.

Willisiton looks like it has doubled or tripled in population in the last few years, it will be interesting to see what happens after the boom.

There a so many of these housing areas for all the imported workers.

Not enjoying the road or view anymore we come up with a game plan, go north then east. We didn't go very far, but found some far nicer roads and views.

Finishing the day at a place called Mouse River. We got power and a tent site all for $13!!! pretty cool.

Amie went to check the restrooms and got the fright of her life on the way back.

She did get over it

We enjoyed the sun!!!

Old 09-10-2013, 11:43 AM   #72
hopscotching OP
On the road...

09-06-13 a short stay and more rain

We are beginning tho feel like we bring the rain, seems we continue to be chased by the same system. It has made for some great clouds thou.

It was decided to have a short day, so we headed to Lake Metigoshe State Park.

There were only 3 or 4 sites taken, meeting the other campers was easy. We hung around for longer than we had expected 3 days in all...

Amie made a friend

Lots of fun had but the rain continued to get worse, the day we packed was a VERY wet morning...

Not so much fun. O well, east we go.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:44 AM   #73
hopscotching OP
On the road...

09-09-13 thru 09-12-13

There is only one reason we head to Grand Forks, the battery that replaced our deep cycle has done us very well but during the last stay it could not keep up with what we needed. That is to say that not riding every day caused a serious drop in voltage, so off we go to get a new deep cycle battery.

The battery is an easy find here and fitting it was easy. We have been wet for the past 5 days so we hang (drying out) HA for two days....

I am cutting this short as i have had computer and camera issues, no photos and a very frustrated Matt. We only lost the last few days of photos (nothing great) and a laptop. The new laptop is not as good but shall see us thru.

We are back in Canada (almost an accident). We picked a route that really looked good on the map, hmm its never the same. BC and the US seem to have camp grounds everywhere, not so for Ontario it seems. The rain keeps chasing us as we ride and we keep packing up wet. last nites stop was a campground in Atikokan, not the best looking grounds but the restrooms were great ;-).

Today we had a very un-exciting visit to Thunder Bay (not what i had expected or wanted) we head East again; i know surprise, surprise. The weather has been chasing us, we are either being chased or catching up to rain, right now in Sleeping Giant State Park we again prepare for rain. At least this had had some time to dry..

A quick word about this campground; Over priced, fire wood is wet but on a brighter note there are very friendly ducks. In very large quantities. They really did try to help with the tent setup and fire starting...

Still got some computer issues, will update with photos as soon as i get it all resolved.

Pretty photos

Last one

We move east again.

hopscotching screwed with this post 09-13-2013 at 10:16 AM
Old 09-13-2013, 09:57 AM   #74
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
It was great meeting you's at the campground ! Too bad the rain made the visit so short.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:18 AM   #75
hopscotching OP
On the road...

Yea the rain seems to be all around us

What ya going to do....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hektoglider View Post
It was great meeting you's at the campground ! Too bad the rain made the visit so short.