User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2013, 06:53 AM   #76
hopscotching OP
On the road...

Oddometer: 256
09-13-13 No rain

Woo Hoo, it has been some time since we have packed without rain. Does not stop the condensation thou, the fly will still have to be dried. The morning was foggy, but the view it provided....

We passed into the Eastern time zone at some point, neither of us realized until this morning when i looked at the time on the GPS. Apparently we finally got out of camp around 10am, really seemed like it should be 8am at the latest. We meet another rider on our way out, Dan is doing the Superior Lake circuit.

Hwy 17 has become fun, not as straight as it had been. corners yea... I forgot how fun it is to really ride. As i said no rain, still overcast so we head to the blue sky

Lunch was had at the Hungry Moose

really not to bad. They had free range chickens and ducks too!!!

Very locals place, we found out about all about what was going on in the area, some good news most not.

Ahh after lunch the sun came, for the first time in a week we had sun. Really felt good...

We camp at Pukaskwa National Park, they will be closing the park as of Monday. Not very many people left so the choice of sites was maybe a little too much, we did settle on a site...

A very nice Park Ranger (Warden) found us 2 bags of wood, as the campground host had already left, all in all a good day.

Ahh the coincidence of traveling, who should pull in to a site two up from ours? Dan, i took him a beer (nothing better than cold beer after a ride), later he came and shared the fire. life is good.
Mexico starts on this page
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1#post23188421
hopscotching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:46 AM   #77
hopscotching OP
On the road...

09-14-13 We have been forgetting something

Last night while talking with Dan he said something that surprised us both, he asked what we stopped to look at along the way. We both had to say "nothing"! Suddenly we remembered that this is not about the destination, i mean duh... After being stuck in BC for so long all we wanted to do was get as far as we could, that is great and all but it was making for an unpleasant ride.

Today is a new day, we are off to Sault Ste Marie. I have promised Amie a dry room for two nights, the happy look on her face was thank enough. Yesterday we had been warned of rain for the evening, it did not eventuate and the morning was clearing very nicely.

As i said yesterday the road was a very nice ride all but for the wind, very windy lost 40km on a tank of gas...

Our first stop was just for gas, but Winnie here caught our eye.

What do you know here is where it all began.

We have done absolutely no research on our route (maybe we should have) so with our new sense of adventure we start taking the turnoffs to "attractions" This one was a sigh to a waterfall, seemed like a very odd place for a waterfall. To get there we passed thru some very odd "farmland" no trespassing and private blueberry farm signs line the road. Did not really look like anything to me, others must have felt the same way. Any hoo, after 3 km of dirt we come down the hill and wow. There really is a waterfall.

Hwy 17 winds its way around Lake Superior, the lake is just incredible. I have seen some of the lakes before, just never like this.

Amie and i keep commenting on it, both just blown away by the size.

The Petroglyph sign deserved to be stopped at. A quick 400m walk brings you to what seem like a very dangerous rock ledge, the signs agree!

I braved the danger to go and see, may be i was too worried about the slippery rocks and the waves? I was wearing my full riding gear and boots, the only thing i could think of was "if i go in that water i highly doubt i could get back out"... Some how i could not see the Petroglyphs :-( so here are some photos of the rocks they are on

The sun stays with us the whole way to Sault Ste Marie and i finally remove some of the extra layers i had been wearing. We find a room and head for dinner...

Forgot to take a pic of the main, after eating we both agreed that is need not have been taken. On the river bank stands a wooden moose, he really has seen better days ;-)

This is his good side.

and the sun sets on another day on the road...

We leave here Monday, still undecided on what way we shall be taking...
Old 09-20-2013, 09:48 PM   #78
hopscotching OP
On the road...

09-16-13 thru 09-20-13 To visit friends

After much conversing and finally working out where we are, we realized that we are an easy two day ride from some friends we know thru the BMWMOA. What a great chance to catchup and get some work done on my bike in a real workshop ;-) For all this to happen we have to get to Wainfleet, there are at least 3 different ways we can go. Amie wants to take a ferry, so now there is only one way to go, decision made.

It is cold, damn cold.

and it seems we have been left a message, still don't know who Rick is.

It is an amazing thing, we for some bizarre reason have sooo much more space. Maybe it is because we are now wearing every last piece of riding gear we have? Yea it is that cold.

The day warmed up some, some of the trees have decided that summer is over

We get to the ferry two hours too late or too early, take your pick. With time to kill we grab some lunch

the fish and chips were excellent. After some reading and waiting our vessel cometh.

There really were some amazing views from the ferry but all we ended up getting a photo of was this lighthouse

go figure.

We took the easy way out and grabbed a room and of course dinner...

The food was amazing!

Amie

Matt

09-17-13

Today was just another day, warmer than before and the sun really started to shine. It is the first time in a while i have felt warm while riding. To stay with the site seeing idea we hit the road less traveled and went to see a lighthouse only 12 km off our route. Did the sign really say 12 km, by the time we got there it seemed much further. But really was worth the visit.

Not just the lighthouse but the volunteer group had turned the rooms into a museum, not just of the area but more or less of the great lakes. We both learned something today.

We make it to our destination

with cold beer in tow... Our gracious host greets us and we share the cold bounty....

09-18-13

Today i rip into the rig "again" as a few things have been bugging me. I have been running very rich, not just a little but too rich. I did get it somewhat under control but i do need to do some extra investigation. I have also not been able to stem the leak coming from the notch in the swing arm, at best it is just a small thing that i can JB weld, at worst... I really don't want to think about at worst;-) and then the is the final drive, i have not looked at the splines lately and really don't want to. but better here than on the road.

OK then, carbs.. The bike has run lean ever since i got it, so in an effort to correct this i have upped the main jet and the atomizer, it now seems that this is way too much. I put the stock atomizer back in but increased the main jet size by one step. We shall see how it all works out.

The swing arm has a very nice crack along the left and bottom of the weld, it will have to be re-welded... Damn

Final drive, hmm... Well if i were not here i would have just ridden on it, but i am where i am. We went thru Dutch's final drives and find one with better splines than i currently have and in my preferred ratio. Woo Hoo, something has gone right...

While i have been working on the rig Amie has been bust making dinner for us all. We did have a few issues finding some of the ingredients but it all (sorta) worked out in the end. So here we have Bahn Mi (Vietnamese Meatball rolls) it is one of my personal favorites.

09-19-13

Off to find a welder for the swing arm (we forgot the camera). Our first stop is a no go, first of all the address is where they live not the shop and secondly i am informed that no one is at the shop today, hmm bummer... But just down the road there is a retired welder who now runs out of his home workshop, sounds good to me... It is sometime a very odd thing to turn up to a home workshop, you never know just what to expect. Cam was one the friendliest people you could ever meet, he had two of the most beautiful dodge 40's era trucks i have ever seen!!! His first words to us were the doors are open feel free to check them out! We did and chatted for some time around the trucks. Any hoo Cam did a brilliant job on the swing arm...

His gig these days is making custom trailers to tow whatever it is you want....

With swing arm repaired i get it back on the rig, and leave it to dry

with some time to kill we crack a beer and take a tour of Dutch's bike and car collection, there is so very cool...

and the Honda

Did you know it was fall? It so happens that tonight is the start of the fall fair here!!! We have been told that the tractor pull is a must, hmm i am not really sure about this ;-)

Some of the competitors

There really were some very cool tractors, my personal fav had to be the Porsche (i didn't do so well in the pulling thou.)

Some action shots

The sun sets on another day, we all head to dinner to meet up with some other Airhead riders in the area....

09-20-13

Sidecar riding day

It is a day of rest and a day to make sure all the work i just did works.... We mount up and head out

first stop the post office, my old final drive is off to get a new spline, this time from a different shop. If this one works i will really be singing some praises...

Our destination is Niagara Falls, neither Amie nor I have seen them. Our guides make sure that not only the destination is reached but we see amazing sites along the way

And of course lunch

More sites

a very rare pic of the two of us!!!! (ur welcome mum)

and the falls, wow just wow

We head back to the homestead

drink some wine and enjoy one more dinner, Amie and I are on the road again tomorrow... HOO WOO..
Old 09-21-2013, 10:13 AM   #79
hopscotching OP
On the road...

09-21-13 Rain delay

Well the rain has caught us again...

As i am sure some of you know this system starts in the Gulf of Mexico and continues up into Canada, we have decided to wait it out today. Our gregarious hosts have been very kind and did not throw us into the rain To say thank you i shall be cooking tonight, photos will follow...

Forgot to take others, and promised not to post others ... A great dinner with great people.

I just hope that the weather report for tomorrow holds true and we only hit a few small showers.

hopscotching screwed with this post 09-23-2013 at 10:25 AM
Old 09-23-2013, 10:37 AM   #80
hopscotching OP
On the road...

09-22-13 To visit a plane

It is time to move on... Dinner was a big hit, during conversations we found out that a Lancaster bomber was hangered at the Canadian warplane museum at mount hope, it is only 30 miles from our current location; we have to go. My Grandfather was a navigator on the Lancaster bombers during WWII, if memory servers he was navigating the first Lancaster back to Australia after the war ended. If this is not correct i am sure i shall be corrected (mum?)...

Anyway, seeing one of these planes flying is a must, so our first stop is Mount Hope. Our hosts ride some of the way to see us off.

it is a saddening feeling to see them turn around, their hospitality and friendship was above reproach.

The museum is pretty damn cool, I knew little to nothing about the Canadian planes

especially the Avro Arrow.

pity the project was stopped.

While looking thru the museum, outside there came the sound of a plane that was special. The Lancaster was starting up. Crap, we head out ; missed the start up and the taxi. All this way to miss this plane, i don't think so. Quickly we head up to the observation deck to watch the take off. I was amazed any of the photos worked at all.

We watch the bomber move off into the distance, all of a sudden it started to make a turn. It kept turning! It was coming back for a flyby. WOO HOO.... Camera at the ready, it was not an easy thing to capture. But i got one good photo

Once again we head east ;-) The decision has been made to head back into the USA, the boarder crossing to be left up to the GPS. It decided to take us back to Niagara Falls, o well.

All went well, the crossing was the easiest we have had back to the USA. We cross using Hwy 104 and 18. It is a cruising day. Lake to one side and farmland to the other.

The day is cool but dry and our first day of travel in 5 days, our rest was only supposed to be 2. What ya going to do ;-) We lunch in Greece NY at the very fashionable Ruby Tuesdays and then head to a close camp site near the lake (Webster Park). Alas no lake frontage but still very comfortable. Our old friends the sleeping bags and camp mats are a very welcome site as it means we are back on the road.

Dinner is a simple affair.

Tomorrow we head into the Adirondacks. We are on our way.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:44 AM   #81
Darryl's bmw
Darby

Oddometer: 102
Time well wasted!

Glad you got to see the Lancaster fly, I will have to tell Leon Evans
(the pilot) that he made a good impression.
So glad to have some time to spend with you and Amie at Dutch & Kate's
home for lost Airheads. We shared great food & wine and had some good laughs!
Love the pictures, why do I always feel hungry when I read your posts Have a safe trip my friends!

Darryl & Terry Cainey
Darryl's bmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:20 AM   #82
FTL900
White and nerdy

Oddometer: 263
Tagging along with you...
Old 09-26-2013, 04:23 PM   #83
hopscotching OP
On the road...

Was great to meet up with you both too....

The food has been sometimes great on the trip, but we have been very bad at getting it all. Today for example, totally forgot. Guess that is the best part about being here, i can forget!!!!

very glad you are following....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl's bmw View Post
Glad you got to see the Lancaster fly, I will have to tell Leon Evans
(the pilot) that he made a good impression.
So glad to have some time to spend with you and Amie at Dutch & Kate's
home for lost Airheads. We shared great food & wine and had some good laughs!
Love the pictures, why do I always feel hungry when I read your posts Have a safe trip my friends!

Darryl & Terry Cainey
Old 09-26-2013, 04:23 PM   #84
hopscotching OP
On the road...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTL900 View Post
Tagging along with you...

Thanks for reading, glad to have you along
Old 09-26-2013, 04:35 PM   #85
hopscotching OP
On the road...

09-23-13 To the Adirondacks

Well, it doesn't look like rain this morning- fingers crossed.

We get on the road at a decent hour, hoping to get a good days ride in. The foliage here is nearly in full bloom, absolutely gorgeous, but my photo skills were having an off day. sorry. Matt got some good ones, though.

As we ride through the Adirondacks the temperature begins to drop, and by the time we stop for lunch it is a damn uncomfortable 45..... We get off the bike and I'm shivering. Luckily, the tavern is heated and a glass of red wine begins to warm me from the inside out. And hot toasted ham with honey mustard doesn't hurt, either. Matt had the reuben. yum. Not a fan of potato chips with a sandwich though, gotta tell you.

After lunch we stop at the visitors center next door, in search of campsites that are still open- most are closed already. After getting a printout we decide that it's still quite early, so we decide to ride for a while before pulling in somewhere. The temperature keeps dropping and the forecast says 28 for a low tonight. BBBRRRRR so we find a little country general store and grab some canned soup. One cannot be too picky in these circumstances, lest we become Popsicle.

We pull into Cranberry Lake Campground and find a lovely little spot to call our own, while I'm setting up camp Matt goes in search of firewood, which is in town.

With a fire roaring (took a little bit to get it going) and soup simmering, we begin to defrost. Again.

Hopefully tomorrow will be a bit warmer? Another ferry ride for us tomorrow, woohoo!!
Old 09-26-2013, 04:52 PM   #86
hopscotching OP
On the road...

09-24-13 A ferry to Vermont and beyond!

We sleep the sleep of the dead, i don't know what it is. Maybe it was the threat of freezing temps? But we both slept great!!! The morning comes with clearing sunny skies, what a welcome relief. Still cold enough for a fire, though.

No pics

With the morning sun comes some interesting things. I found these webs in the trees witch don the path to the restrooms that we have been using all evening!!!

Love EM!

Still heading east towards Nova Scotia. We have decided to get the ferry to Vermont. Some pretty sites along the way.

We arrive an hour early, these things happen when you don't know the boats schedule!!!

She really is happy about the trip

Our ride

he ride across was uneventful but cold. By the end we were in full riding gear again ;-)

Lunch time, Burlington it is. The Church Street Tavern is decided on, bad choice!!! My first beer is skunky, grrr. We should have known then, but we kept going. The food was mediocre at best, hence no pics. We have decided that we are really bad at the food pics ;-)

After our crappy lunch neither of us are in a very good mood (more mine i guess), it is decided to get to a liquor store then the closest campground. Not a too hard challenge to accomplish! We get our supplies and find the city park that offers some of the smallest camp sites money can buy, o well. We spend an amazing amount of money for firewood and finally get comfy and warm.

Tomorrow leads us thru the rest of Vermont into New Hampshire and into Maine with any luck.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:04 PM   #87
hopscotching OP
On the road...

09-25-13 Vermont, New Hampshire and into Maine.

A quick catch up from yesterday. To go with my "slightly" pissed off mood we had a charging / 2nd battery issue, the damn thing is less than a month old but does not seem to be charging. It is either the battery or a loose connection, it is left to the morning to see if it will charge on the ride out.

Packing up from the smallest site in campsite in history was easy. I lie a little as we did not have the smallest site in the park, there were some that were just ridiculous... A fire in the morning helped us warm our self's, not needed but leaving wood just seems wrong ;-)

Sun greets us as we ride out, towards the Advance auto parts store.

We check the battery on arrival, still no charge!!! hmmmmm? Battery shows 9v under load... This is no good. Connections checked and battery replaced for another tractor battery, shit i may just keep this one. We hook up the multimeeter to keep an eye on the charging, looks good. I will have to check everything better at a later time. I grab some extra oil, good stuff and some indicator lamps as i replaced one last nite.

Any hoo, off we go. A late start.

We have sun for all of this long

and away it goes

this seems to be the way of things for us. Maybe we should stop for a day, maybe; just not yet. With the sun gone the temp drops, it is not too long until we feel the need to stop for lunch. This time with better results.

The food was great, service sosso. The beer was PERFECT!

Onwards and upwards we continue on. Some sites along the way.

Wonder what they were wearing???

We decided not to stop in Mexico this time, we shall be there soonish.

We have been checking the 2nd batter all day, the rig must have looked a hoot.

As the day wears on it does get somewhat warmer, to the point i had to remove a layer; all of 60!!! Campsites are getting harder to come by, may of the parks have closed for the season. A 20 mile of route trek leads us into the Mt Blue State park

very nice campground and very empty, we are in the camp host site ;-)

O and Amie found MOXIE!!! Not only the name of our last (and dearly lost lab) but the name of a soft drink.

The sun has set, seems to be doing that earlier every nite. Camp-mats are still to be set up, must go; no fire tonight slightly cold... Tomorrow we hope to make it to Saint John for the ferry.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:22 AM   #88
Darryl's bmw
Darby

Oddometer: 102
Not sure of your timing, great things to see in Nova Scotia.

Peggy's Cove

Halifax Citadel

The Bluenose Schooner (the most famous Canadian ship)
just refloated after a refit

The Cabot Trail Fantastic views, do it counter clockwise.
Darryl's bmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:48 AM   #89
HbgRiverwalker
n00b

Oddometer: 3
I'm disappointed you didn't have a better time in Burlington! Next time hit American Flatbread and MagicHat!!
HbgRiverwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 01:37 PM   #90
hopscotching OP
On the road...

Thanks for the heads up

Quote:
Originally Posted by HbgRiverwalker View Post
I'm disappointed you didn't have a better time in Burlington! Next time hit American Flatbread and MagicHat!!
That is the issue with just getting to a place, very little research is done. I have a feeling if i were in a better mood things would have been different.

New reports coming, we made it to Nova Scotia!