User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2013, 06:03 PM   #91
hopscotching OP
On the road...

Oddometer: 256
09-26-13 To save a woolly

Damn cold this morning, foggy too... The park we are in is just gorgeous, flush toilets too. Ohh and showers!!! We take the chance and use the showers, good when you are under the water very cold after!!!

As i said a foggy start to the day

but we push out and the fog starts to clear

just amazing in the sun!!

and then the clouds come, damn it...

They really are following us!!!

The day wears on and after crossing the boarder the wind comes up, Hwy 1 is dual lanes and the wind keeps pushing us around. We push onwards we need to get to Saint John for the ferry in the morning.

With a quick rest stop on the side of the road, Amie sees an animal in danger. A woolly is trying to cross the road, Amie is ready to run out and save it. I stop her until the traffic is clear, i mean really. We still joke about this, but she still had gloves on and dropped the poor thing a few times; but only from a very small height. The Woolly is now safe

We are only 40km from our destination. Maybe i am getting soft but i agree we Amie that we need a hotel for the nite.

Dinner was great, a local pub that "again" we forgot to take the camera to. We really are bad at this!!! No outside shots of the hotel either, i mean really!!!

Well our room had a jacuzzi, it had to be done

and a drink to go with

It was all so good...

Tomorrow we will be in Nova Scotia, this is Amie's deal. It is an Anne of Green Gables thing so i have been told, to me it will be a great chance to hotel and recoup.
Mexico starts on this page
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1#post23188421
hopscotching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:38 AM   #92
hopscotching OP
On the road...

09-27-13 Nova Scotia, a very short day

We both woke up tired, it's just one of those days. We have planned on a short day, grabbing a room as soon as we get off the ferry. I know, we're getting soft.

The morning is beautiful, sunny and warm (well in the sun anyway).

We get to the ferry terminal and meet some other riders, very nice to meet others. These guys are from Kentucky, but shipped their bikes (I don't judge) we chat until the ferry is loading. I am told that Amie cannot sit on the back seat of the bike for the loading, even after explaining that with a sidecar we really cannot fall over, they are still saying that she must walk down the ramp. That seems more dangerous to me than her being on the bike. Anyway, she jumps on and no one says anything about her riding onto the ferry, so there you go, they must have had an issue at some point. The ferry car floor is very wet and i guess slippery, but if you cannot ride on these surfaces may be you shouldn't be riding????

The ferry ride well, dull. i really would have preferred to ride for 3 hours, especially seeing the crossing was only 78km. 3 hours i am never getting back ;-)

Some of the sites were great thou

While on-board we decide to make accommodation arrangements, there was cell reception for the most part. We have a room, all based on the internet and photos. We shall see if it lives up to the hype!!!

The ride into town was just as pretty

All in all we have ridden maybe 10 miles today and our room is in site. Although not much to look at from the outside, inside was a completely different story. Our room was very nice with a view to boot...

After a drink or 2 to recover from a very hectic day, dinner is in order. Lucky for us the rooms have a restaurant attached, as well as a bar and apparently a night club, we chose to visit the restaurant. Dinner was amazing, when in Nova Scotia one must eat.

and lobster

Ohh yea, and "he" it stuffed with scallops. Damn!!!

dessert!!

The sun set during dinner, although not over the water (that would be sunrise) was beautiful.

The restaurant had some "pet" lobsters that were not for sale. Below is a very bad pic of their biggest. It seemed a little cruel to keep him in there, not my call thou.

we waddle back to the room, Amie is asleep quickly and i only make it a few hours. I did have time to take a couple a nite time pics of the bay.

Tomorrow is Halifax
Old 10-01-2013, 12:21 PM   #93
hopscotching OP
On the road...

09-28-13 On my god Sun again.

All i can say is that i am shocked, we have sun again!!! We are going to be in Halifax this afternoon, taking as much of the coastal route as we can.

The morning is just beautiful, sun over us and fog sitting at the entrance to the bay

As always we pack, and get under way. There are a few ways to get to Halifax from Digby. The coastal route has a couple of roads, one newer than the other and the other way cuts straight thru the island (not really an island but i cannot think of another way to describe it). We take the coastal route, mostly the newer / faster (103) but often dropping onto 3, i think this is right....

our first detour is to see an island park, the small islands sit just off the shore. It is very pretty and yes still under sunny skies, it is amazing how a sunny day changes everything!!!

Our next stop is for gas, and who would come by? Its the riders we meet on the ferry, amazing how these things work out. We say our hellos and are offered a place to stay when we are heading south thru the USA. I love it when these things happen. Amie and I have always said everyone loves a sidecar, and this is very apparent when going thru towns etc. Children wave, point or yell. Parents actually point us out to their kids, thumbs up and other appreciations are very common. Today it is one traveler to another, if we are in the area we will take him up on the offer.

We decide to follow the lighthouse "way, road" whatever figure a coastal route and lighthouses go hand in hand. After 45mins of riding feeling a little misled we FINALLY come across a lighthouse, and not really what we had expected.

We head back on to the main HWY, and what happens next is all by accident. We had been told that we needed to find and see the Bluenose II. We had no idea where to find it. I guess a quick internet search would have told us, but we are never that organized. We are going along and i see a sign, it is a world heritage town. I cannot think of a better place to stop, so i point the sign out to Amie and she agrees. We travel thru town and head towards the info place. Amie knew something i did not, the Bluenose II is in dock here. Apparently i did not read all the sign, she did thou.

With directions in hand we finally find her berth.

VERY COOL

The day is getting on but Amie has one more place to visit, it seems to be a must visit town, Peggy's cove... It really is amazing, except for all the people :-( I decide it is Amie's turn to grab the photos.

Even from what i saw quite wonderful and a real lighthouse ;-)

With luck Halifax can be reached without backtracking, woo hoo... I had given Amie her choice of hotels, she chose the Delta Halifax, who am i to say no? This time i go in to check availability, they have a king room for the time we need; all is looking good. With accent in tow i get the very nice girl at the desk to add some discount codes to the room, all in all $50 off the room per day. I am very proud of my self ;-)

One must now drink, eat and drink, yes in that order...

After dinner (it was very good) we go to grab some drinks elsewhere. We make some friends at the bar and chat away..... While having a smoke (yea i know) i meet 3 guys for some reason all wearing white polo shirts and blue jeans, i quickly checked for black name tags ;-) naaa they had no idea what the other was going to be wearing but really!!! It happens to be Carlton's 40th birthday!!!! Well that deserves a shot. We have a shot of tequila together and head back to their table with a tray full of drinks for the group, it is my way of saying happy birthday. I love meeting people like this...

wonderful group of people.

Amie and i sleep the sleep of the dead, and wake up just feeling a little worse for wear. What ya going to do? We are staying another day anyway.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:13 PM   #94
hopscotching OP
On the road...

09-29-13 Halifax a slight tour

We wake feeling a little less than great ;-) what could be better than a brewery tour!!! HA so we set off for the Alexander Keith's original brewery tour. It may have been a mistake?

The brewery is just amazing, but....

It is what as known as a living history tour, we did not know this!!!

The brewery

So, the living history tour means;

They speak in a fake accent
They keep saying that Mr Kieth will be with us shortly
They are overly animated
They keep going on and on
They dance
They sing (badly)
they beat a drum
o crap me they keep going, it was annoying in the start
By the end it was not us making loud comments it was the elderly persons on the tour with us... I guess none of us really liked the living history tour.

It finally finishes, an hour later- about time... We head to lunch, with some recommendations in mind we go to Murphy's. It is a restaurant on a dock, hmmm... we shall see how the food is.

All in all not too bad

And some site while we ate

by this time we need a nap, lunch and last nite have caught up to us.

Ahh much better.... We head up the hill to see the citadel, really an amazing place. even thou we found it had just closed, we will have to see the inside tomorrow before we leave. But as we walk around a main uniform comes up to us warning us that they are about to fire one of the cannons, we had been told of these firings. From what we had been told they happen at midday, it is now 6 pm. O well. We await the blast that will come from a cannon just above us.

LOUD and the echo.... The poor dogs that were sitting next to us, you could feel the concussion from the blast. just amazing.

I really should have had the camera out sooner but did not think of it.

We find a pub to grab a drink, not a too hard thing to do.

Apparently Halifax has the most pubs per capita in all of Canada ;-) yea.... We get a recommendation for dinner, Amie needs Nachos!!!!

Tomorrow we are heading to the Yellow Sidecar B&B on the Cabot Trail, it has to be done...
Old 10-01-2013, 02:01 PM   #95
hopscotching OP
On the road...

09-30-13 To the Cabot Trial

We pack up and head to see the Citadel that we missed yesterday. I am very pleased we did. An amazing piece of history and an amazing place to visit.

the cannon that blasted us yesterday.

We are heading to the Yellow Sidecar B&B. We are not generally fans of B&B's but with a name like this i cannot refuse. The ride out of Halifax is great even being a larger city in rush hour. We are taking the HWY, my back has been less than good so we figure the faster we get to our destination the better. I keep watching the better riding roads on the GPS, it would only take one turn to get there. Hmm twists and turns!!!! And then the fog!!!

and the fog, for the next 20 miles fog, the temp drops...

The sky clears again, and the temps go up. We get another gorgeous day.

On our way to the B&B we know there is a distillery, we are just not quite sure where it is. A small sign, one that you could quite easily miss at a turn off. It points to what I think is the correct distillery. We go that way. A good thing too, "it WAS the distillery we were looking for" ;-) HA

A very nice site.

We have a light lunch

and we brave another tour. We did ask if they dressed in period costumes and sang? Little did we know the guy that gives the tour was standing right there. After an explanation of what we had been thru, he explained that he only lasted 20 mins thru the Keith's tour before walking out. I did not know there was a way out!!!

The distillery tour was great.

We continue our way to the B&B, but end up here!!!

Apparently i finally blew a final drive.

We find a very friendly mechanic, only a few hundred meters down the road who tows us to his shop.

After a few calls we have a room and he gives us a lift and contacts the only tow company in the town. $70 and 2 hours later the sidecar is in the parking lot. tomorrow i shall pull the drive to see what is really wrong.

At least the town we are in gave us a really amazing sunset....

Tomorrow the reveal of the final drive....
Old 10-01-2013, 02:32 PM   #96
hopscotching OP
On the road...

10-01-13 life at the Gable

So here we are at the Gable Motel, hmmmm.... The morning does not look great, we are expecting rain later today. So here we are, and once again i must pull the final drive.

Progress

Here is what i found

I have never seen anything like it.... Never ever ever ever....

I have found a new to me, again drive with very very good splines. It is not just a wait, as it has to come from the USA.

Well it may not be a bad time to be inside, rain all this afternoon.

we shall see when the drive arrives. until then reports for our current location; Iverness, NS.

Still raining, it is a good day to be inside.....
Old 10-02-2013, 06:12 PM   #97
bmweuro
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 3,406
This is crazy. 3 rear drive spines? Check your PM's
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
bmweuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:55 AM   #98
hopscotching OP
On the road...

I tend to agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmweuro View Post
This is crazy. 3 rear drive spines? Check your PM's
PM replied to.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:05 AM   #99
Darryl's bmw
Darby

Oddometer: 153
How does the spline look in the rear wheel?

Note:
When you install the replacement rear drive, put the rear axle in before tightening the 4 nuts that hold the rear drive in place.
this makes sure everything is centered.

You probably know this already, trying to help!
Darryl's bmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:19 PM   #100
hopscotching OP
On the road...

Thanks

The rear wheel spline was replaced before i left CA, it is still looking very good. Yea know about the axle before tightening.

Going to try a slightly different system for the final drive / wheel install...

Thanks for the assist.

Doubt we will be making it to Virgina Beach thou ;-)
Old 10-03-2013, 12:40 PM   #101
bmweuro
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 3,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl's bmw View Post
How does the spline look in the rear wheel?

Note:
When you install the replacement rear drive, put the rear axle in before tightening the 4 nuts that hold the rear drive in place.
this makes sure everything is centered.

You probably know this already, trying to help!
If there was any misalignment the axle would not slide in.
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
bmweuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:41 PM   #102
hopscotching OP
On the road...

10-03-13 Iverness

We have a final drive coming, Woo Hoo.... We played the hotel price against the shipping cost, shipping quickly was cheaper, i think that is a first. We shall see if it comes as advertised.

We have been resting, my back has been giving me issues again. Amie demanded that i rest, ah well, what you going to do. We have some pics of the other homey items we have been up to.

Cooking outside

We share this

and dinner is served

mmmmmmmmm

I decided to wash our riding gear, it was a good idea at the time.

Nothing looks really great, but i assure you it smells soo much better

We will get beach photos all just a matter of time... We do have some.

hopscotching screwed with this post 10-03-2013 at 12:47 PM
Old 10-10-2013, 03:56 PM   #103
hopscotching OP
On the road...

GRRRRRRRRRRR... The quick version

We had secured a final drive so it was just a matter of waiting. It was sent via UPS with a delivery date of Friday the 4th, not too far off at all, get the drive Friday out Saturday or Sunday. All seems too easy.

Well Customs had different ideas, they held the package. Seems they didn't like the idea of an 18 pound motorcycle part being declared for only $1. I ended up having to send them receipts etc just to get it all released, and then owing them duties, not a happy camper at all... So Friday comes and goes, the weekend comes and goes.

Monday we sit and wait, Tracking on the UPS website is as useless as tits on a bull. It showed that the package had not moved since Saturday, that cannot be right; i was told it would be here today.... We take a late lunch hoping that it would show while we were gone, no such luck. I am pissed.

A Skype call to UPS and they assure me (at least the last person did that the package would be there today, it may just be late) hmmmm... It did not arrive.

Tuesday, finally the drive shows. But now i owe duty on the damn thing. Ok, so i pay up. We have the drive. It is a good 2nd hand drive, all things considered. But today looks like this

Kidding... But it was very wet and got worse than the pic below...

They get pack ice here... or use to.

Wednesday, Cold but dry.... Install the new final drive and all is looking great until i notice something is not quite right with the wheel... After further inspection i realize that the bearings are moving in the race, apparently the bearings have dug into the race and are allowing play... I don't know if this is the cause or an effect of final drive but for now the wheel in screwed. On with the spare, i had not intended the spare to do much mileage at all, although the tire is new the wheel splines are less than great so we shall see how this all goes. I have a backup plan if the wheel splines go south!!!

Any how, all goes back together just fine with the spare wheel; until i strip the damn axle nut, what a stupid thing to do. I call the most local Airhead friendly shop around, they almost laugh at me. Cannot blame them, stupid thing to do; alas they don't have one. I set off into town, hmmm. One would think in Canada that metric fasteners would be easy to find, guess what? not so much. Both hardware stores only has American sizes, so i decide to try my luck at the two gas / mechanics. As luck would have it the first one i go to has 2 nuts in just the size i need, what luck....

Almost like Cinderella and her shoe? It so happens that the owner of the gas station is the same guy who towed us to safety the day we broke down, sometimes even i can be lucky. We ride for the first time in about 10 days, it really is a great feeling.

So one might ask the question what did we do for 10 or so days in Inverness? Well here is a photo representation.

We made food

We ate out

Watched the sun set

Ate more

Cooked at the motel

Ate out

The oddest quesadilla ever

and out again

and there you have it, the very abbreviated version of our stay.... Tomorrow on the road again.....
Old 10-17-2013, 11:16 AM   #104
hopscotching OP
On the road...

10-10-13 We're back....

On the road again...

It feels so good to be riding again, the 10 days of down time are behind us and we are moving again. Cold and damp start to the morning, our wonderful hosts at the motel discount our stay, we leave a bottle of wine to say thanks....

To the Cabot trail, we had expected to be here 10 days ago. o well...

The day is beautiful and the Cabot trial does not disappoint. We had been hearing so many differing options of the trail from i fell asleep to it is just amazing. We agree with the latter, simply amazing. Apparently the trail is best taken in a counter clockwise direction but our untimely breakdown has left us going in a clockwise direction, really didn't matter in the end. Lets see some pics

We took the road out to Meat Cove; it is the most northerly settlement in Nova Scotia, the views were just spectacular.

Just a wonderful day for riding

We had decided on an early day with a predetermined town to stop in. it is great to be on the road, but an early day is needed.

Baddeck, Nova Scotia is our destination, as we enter the town we see our salvation.

food and drinks need to be had.

The food was excellent

We sat and enjoyed for some time and used the internet to find an open campsite. Its is getting harder to find places that are still open, seems we are traveling "out of season". We do come across quite a nice ground just 5 miles from were we are sitting. It was so damn good to setup camp again.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:37 AM   #105
hopscotching OP
On the road...

A semi new plan

We had had to make some tough decisions, the season i really getting away from us and i really don't like being without a spare wheel. With all this in mind the decision is made to head to NYC, we lived there for some time and can share us around some friends ;-)

We hit the interstate and go on a relaxed 3 day ride.

Highlights in pics

Our dinner entertainment

Dinner

Lunch at the distillery / brewery in Portland

We find out the hard way that there is not ONE room in Portland available. We have to move down the road to find accommodation, not really what we had wanted to do. Right now i really feel like a nite out.

Getting closer to our goal, we stop in Hartford CT, once again food and drinks are in order

The view from our cheap room (state capitol building)

I got my nite out too. Way to much fun to put in a post