ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2013, 02:25 AM   #1
paulmlewis OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: London
Oddometer: 37
Akrapovic Sound Conundrum

Just fitted oval pipes to the 990. Looks great, lighter (but can you really notice it?), definitely runs cooler (great). Better at high revs but pops and farts at low revs and has lost low rev power and torque. PLus the throttle has become jerky which was never a problem before on my 2011 990 with R map. And fuel consumption has gone way up...

And the sound?

• Too loud with no baffles ( I mean reverberates in my helmet and is tiring on any longish distance). And definitely attracts the wrong sort of attention when riding around.

If only they sounded deep and rich.. but not so loud. So I had a play around with a hacksaw.

• Too quiet with the baffles in
• Sort of OK when insert tubes cut in half (should have left it like that)
• Annoying rasp when insert tubes cut off leaving just the larger front section in the pipe.

I've now ordered two more new inserts (£20 each from ebay) to go back to the original full baffles in sound. Might have to try different brand...
__________________
"All good things are wild and free"
Henry David Thoreau
paulmlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:06 AM   #2
alongat
Beastly Adventurer
 
alongat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Canada
Oddometer: 1,009
I found very similar results on my 2012 R loaded with the 2011 R Akrapovic map - more power but popping on decel, terrible fuel consumption, etc. I have my Leo Vince on with their baffles and they actually sound very good to me that way. I am planning to get TuneECU and load the Powertripps map for "all years R with Akrapovic and BMC filter" - I've been told that map nets very good results; right fueling, good fuel consumption, good power and much smoother than the KTM Akra R map. Apparently, the throttle jerkiness is virtually gone with that map as well. If that doesn't work for me then I will revert back to my stock 2012 R map (which the dealer saved for me just in case I don't like the Akra map) and then get a Dynojet PC-V with a custom tune - in fact, if it supports it (which I think it does), I may run two maps with the PC-V with a switch; one for power and one for economy for longer highway runs, etc...


Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmlewis View Post
Just fitted oval pipes to the 990. Looks great, lighter (but can you really notice it?), definitely runs cooler (great). Better at high revs but pops and farts at low revs and has lost low rev power and torque. PLus the throttle has become jerky which was never a problem before on my 2011 990 with R map. And fuel consumption has gone way up...

And the sound?

• Too loud with no baffles ( I mean reverberates in my helmet and is tiring on any longish distance). And definitely attracts the wrong sort of attention when riding around.

If only they sounded deep and rich.. but not so loud. So I had a play around with a hacksaw.

• Too quiet with the baffles in
• Sort of OK when insert tubes cut in half (should have left it like that)
• Annoying rasp when insert tubes cut off leaving just the larger front section in the pipe.

I've now ordered two more new inserts (£20 each from ebay) to go back to the original full baffles in sound. Might have to try different brand...
__________________
Toronto, Canada
KTM 1190 ADV, KTM 530 EXC
Gone: Ducati 999R, KTM 530EXC, KTM 990ADV-R, KTM 950ADV, KTM 690, KTM 640ADV, kTM RC8R, Ducati 996S, Yamaha R1
And how can this be? For he is the Kwisatz Haderach!
alongat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:27 AM   #3
AB13
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Lexington va
Oddometer: 876
Pc-v

You can have two maps with the PC-V also get the Auto-Tune module with it and tune the bike yourself. You can change the air fuel targets for power or better mpg.
__________________
Just joined for the sticker.
AB13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:18 AM   #4
Peanuts
Beastly Adventurer
 
Peanuts's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: UK
Oddometer: 1,531
I hope the inserts you bought off Ebay are genuine parts? From a UK dealer they are £21.46 each.
58705099302 NOISE REDUCTION APPLICATION
Peanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:28 AM   #5
hattah79
.
 
hattah79's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Somerville VIC AUST
Oddometer: 921
Get some made

I had the same issue
Went to local exhaust fitter and got him to make these The one on the left is the standard insert The other 2 were made
I use the middle one No welding he expanded pipe to fit



hattah79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:08 PM   #6
alongat
Beastly Adventurer
 
alongat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Canada
Oddometer: 1,009
That is exactly what i want; a map for longer distance / highway riding with good mileage and a power map with the ability to switch between on the fly and you're right - the PC-V offers that functionality. Time to call my local Power Commander tuner; he's got his dyno connected directly to Power Commander and he's done wonders for previous bikes of mine. I had a Ducati 996S that made good power but always had me stinking of unburned fuel from richness, chugged along like a diesel tractor and then he did a custom map, found me over 11 hp and even more torque plus it ran smoothly and no more stinky clothes.


Quote:
Originally Posted by AB13 View Post
You can have two maps with the PC-V also get the Auto-Tune module with it and tune the bike yourself. You can change the air fuel targets for power or better mpg.
__________________
Toronto, Canada
KTM 1190 ADV, KTM 530 EXC
Gone: Ducati 999R, KTM 530EXC, KTM 990ADV-R, KTM 950ADV, KTM 690, KTM 640ADV, kTM RC8R, Ducati 996S, Yamaha R1
And how can this be? For he is the Kwisatz Haderach!
alongat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:22 PM   #7
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Oddometer: 2,244
you need to rid of the air injection system to stop the "popping"

as for the "jerkyness". you are probably still using O2 sensors even with the akra map. try disabling the O2 with tune ecu. it will idle richer but it will smooth out low throttle
__________________
Alan
2011 KTM RC8R
2012 BMW S1000RR
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:03 AM   #8
AB13
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Lexington va
Oddometer: 876
Pc-v

We also are a Power Commander tuning center their Dyno is not connected to Power Commander what he should have is Tuning Link software so when tuning a bike the software changes the map in the Power Commander insted of him having to enter it. This saves time but with the auto-tune module you can also do this on your own by riding the bike then accepting the fuel trims and sending the map. Also if you leave the auto-tune on the bike you can turn it on or off with a switch so if you are riding in higher or lower altitudes it will keep your AFRs where they should be. Also by changing fuel in the 0% throttle part of the map will decrease decel popping. You should if you go with the PC-V buy it from your local guy even if its more than you can get it on the internet that way you support him and he can help you with set up. Dont waste his time if you are going to deal with an internet whore.
__________________
Just joined for the sticker.
AB13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:52 AM   #9
alongat
Beastly Adventurer
 
alongat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Canada
Oddometer: 1,009
I think you have described it better than I did - yes, that's what I meant. Anyhow, I've thought about the Autotune option as well and frankly:
1- don't want to modify the exhaust to accept the larger sensor,
2- it won't provide individual cylinder tuning so which cylinder does it or should it read from and isn't that a compromise in itself?
3- I don't want to tinker with anything after the tune itself so being ale to review the Autotune and load its updates on a regular basis doesn't appeal to me - if it "auto-tuned" in real time and made corrections / adjustments automatically, that is what I would consider "auto-tuning"
4- I'd like to have the two-map option so getting my tuner to build two maps; performance and economy with the ability to switch on the fly is very appealing to me

Yes, I will buy my PC-V from my tuner - I always have for previous bikes and don't care about saving a few dollars here and there if it means that buying from him helps him stay in business - it's in my best interest to support him and he doesn't nail me for parts prices. By the way, as with my RC8R, can I assume that the PC-V for my adventure also bypasses the O2 sensors, right?

Thanks


Quote:
Originally Posted by AB13 View Post
We also are a Power Commander tuning center their Dyno is not connected to Power Commander what he should have is Tuning Link software so when tuning a bike the software changes the map in the Power Commander insted of him having to enter it. This saves time but with the auto-tune module you can also do this on your own by riding the bike then accepting the fuel trims and sending the map. Also if you leave the auto-tune on the bike you can turn it on or off with a switch so if you are riding in higher or lower altitudes it will keep your AFRs where they should be. Also by changing fuel in the 0% throttle part of the map will decrease decel popping. You should if you go with the PC-V buy it from your local guy even if its more than you can get it on the internet that way you support him and he can help you with set up. Dont waste his time if you are going to deal with an internet whore.
__________________
Toronto, Canada
KTM 1190 ADV, KTM 530 EXC
Gone: Ducati 999R, KTM 530EXC, KTM 990ADV-R, KTM 950ADV, KTM 690, KTM 640ADV, kTM RC8R, Ducati 996S, Yamaha R1
And how can this be? For he is the Kwisatz Haderach!
alongat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:17 PM   #10
paulmlewis OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: London
Oddometer: 37
Resolved

Hi,

Thanks for all your replies. So I bought these baffles off ebay... not genuine i'm sure. But they work fine. Tapped them in with a wooden mallet. They sound great. I mean resonant but not too loud. Rich sound - especially on acceleration. So that is good. But even better is that the low end torque has kicked in again. And that is where I like it that power- low down. The completely open pipes left the bike feeling flabby with no tautness in the low revs. It's pretty much perfect now. I think the mid-high revs are not as free wheeling... but its a small price to pay for the right sound level and the extra pick up at low speeds. I don't know why these ebay parts are any different to the original Akro baffles... but they work great.
__________________
"All good things are wild and free"
Henry David Thoreau
paulmlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:38 AM   #11
Gustavo.Ramos
Studly Adventurer
 
Gustavo.Ramos's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Accross the pond
Oddometer: 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by hattah79 View Post
I had the same issue
Went to local exhaust fitter and got him to make these The one on the left is the standard insert The other 2 were made
I use the middle one No welding he expanded pipe to fit



And what are your conclusions with those custom made?
__________________
Growing old is mandatory... growing up is optional!

Raid de L'Amitiι 2011 RR (link)
690R
Gustavo.Ramos is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014